Latest PSU headlines:

PSN ID
    Seven_Mile_Goon

[Opinion] How To Restore Square Enix Reputation

update: before E3 2013

For me, it's to not to focus on this obsession with ultra realism graphics and production value, so that they could focus more on what really mattered in their JRPGs, including high-end, character-driven storytelling, as well as gameplay revolving around combat, loot, and leveling up.

This fascination with graphics is the reason why we're waiting too long for FFvsXIII and Kingdom Hearts 3, as well as why FFXIII and FFXIII-2 were disappointments and FFXIV will dead on arrival because no one is asking for a jrpg MMO final fantasy game. It was also what separated them from Atlus, whose games are better because they forgo ultra realism graphics for better gameplay and storytelling experiences, especially in games like Persona 4. Even BioWare and Bethesda aren't that much invested in ultra realism as Square Enix, and yet the latter was capable of creating massive, open worlds with tons of quests to complete (The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim), while the former used high production values to enhance their games' experiences, rather than outright replace them like Square Enix most recent games.

Square Enix should also revive old franchises that have been left dormant for years like freedom fighters (not sure if EA or IO Interactive owns the IP), chrono trigger series, saga frontier series, grandia series, legacy of kain series, xenogears, vagrant story and the list goes on. Again, Square Enix just has to make actual video games, as opposed to bloated graphics demo-reels, all while making sure they're single-player experiences only, with no unnecessary multiplayer in-sight. Games like sleeping dogs can turn into a good franchise if they invest into it like they do with final fantasy games with better advertising, which goes the same with hitman and tomb raider.
    Seriously, when I play a single-player game, I feel like I'm part of a fictional universe, as opposed to multiplayer where I know I'm playing a game, thus taking me outside of the experience. Plus, single-player is easier for me, because while in multiplayer I have to deal with the unpredictable players, with single-player I can just change the difficulty level of the AI enemies in any way I want.

I've been waiting forever for Kingdom Hearts 3, and I don't really care much about Final Fantasy Versus XIII. Why? Because while each Final Fantasy installment takes place in a completely separate continuity from the others, Kingdom Hearts is one big, ongoing continuity that tosses in cliffhangers to make me anticipate the next installment. Unfortunately, Square Enix is too busy turning games into bad graphics demo-reels and actually pays attention to us consumers and the way we're so sick of modern multiplayer shooters stealing the entire spotlight, while longing for the old days when JRPGs ruled the industry.

I may have faith in Square Enix after this: Square Enix’s soon to be president, Yosuke Matsuda, has announced that he plans to turn around the fortunes of the entire company and revive it. Matsuda says that he will be reviewing all Square Enix duties, business and assets on a zero-based budgeting standpoint. He will then decide what has worked for the company and what hasn’t worked for the company.

Forum Guru
    Fans: we want FF7, we want FF7, we want FF7...

S/E: We don't want to redo our old games and want to look towards the future, but in the mean time here's FF1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2 and 13-3

Fans: o_o F***ing Trolls
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Forum Guru
    People have been waiting for KH3 since the PS2 was still the current gen console...

Also I just wanted to point out that I'm not one of the people clamoring for a FF7 remake. I just find it a bit hysterical that majority of S/Es fans have been asking... nay, begging for a FF7 remake so S/E answers back my remaking every single FF game in their catalogue except FF7.... lmao
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Revive Chrono Cross and don't fuck it up lol

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Good write political! My patience with SE has truly been tested on some of their decisions this gen. But even if they did try to revive some older series, they might find a way to royally screw that up too. For me I looking for XV to really be the game to get them back on track. If it turns up to be garbage, there are other devs that do great things.

It's been added!

Items Deadmau5
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    People have been waiting for KH3 since the PS2 was still the current gen console...

Also I just wanted to point out that I'm not one of the people clamoring for a FF7 remake. I just find it a bit hysterical that majority of S/Es fans have been asking... nay, begging for a FF7 remake so S/E answers back my remaking every single FF game in their catalogue except FF7.... lmao
    Two problems here (beyond the fact that VII has been ported to PSN, and gotten a high resolution PC version with achievements released for PC, a treatment that neither VIII or IX have received yet):

1.) "Majority of S/E fans" is a statement with no backing behind it. It could be that the majority of what you hear on message boards and comment feeds is the typical "please remake FFVII!", but to base the future of an entire company on floating, virtual opinions isn't a risk anyone can afford to take in this industry. Square has heaps of data they go through before choosing what projects to undertake. If a lot of forum posts clamoring for an FF7 remake actually held market weight, then they'd remake it. "Fans" assume they have more business sense than a game developer as successful as Square Enix. They don't.

2.) The issue with remaking VII is that it's equally as monumental a task as creating a new FF. For some reason people think it'd easier to make, I never understood why. And to think that everyone who bought the game in 1999 would buy it in 2013 is just incredibly delusional. It would need to be changed from the ground up to appeal to new audiences, otherwise it would be doomed to fail. If the traditional FF style is truly what the market is clamoring for, then a game like Lost Odyssey would have been a juggernaut. We know it wasn't. We know it barely hit one million sold over the course of its entire life span, where something as "hated" as Final Fantasy XIII-2 has out performed it 3:1. Hell, XIII-2 sold more than each individual Mass Effect game.

And people wonder why XIII-3 is coming next?
    Last edited by upmagic; 06-26-2013 at 21:56.

7. Likes The Black Wolf wishes they had posted this first.
    Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Probably need a flux capacitor to do it.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Thread Information