Latest PSU headlines:

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Microsoft has stopped charging developers for Xbox 360 patches report

The site’s report is based on input from several developers, and suggests that Microsoft is changing its approach to the indie scene. It allegedly dropped the patch submission fee earlier this year without little fanfare.
    It follows damning reports from several indie developers who have called Microsoft a nightmare to work with, and I recently spoke with several indie teams that slammed the company’s high fees and limited post-launch support of their games.
    Traditionally, Microsoft has charged studios to patch their games as they must undergo submission approval each time, often to the tune of several thousand dollars. It’s a factor that has seen many indie studios abandon the Xbox format, most recently Fez creator Phil Fish.
    Eurogamer’s sources have said that re-certification fees as a result of patching or updates is now free for both digital and full retail games, but Microsoft still has the right to charge any developer submitting its game an excessive number of times due to it failing the process repeatedly – presumably as some form of deterrent or quality filter.
    This could be the start of Microsoft’s rumoured indie strategy, which was said to be revealed at yesterday’s Build conference. As far as we know, no such announcement was made, but it was believed that the company was gearing up to announce self-publishing on Xbox Live during the event.
    Would you like to see self-publishing on Xbox formats? Is Microsoft getting ready to change its approach? let us know below.http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/27/microsoft-has-stopped-charging-developers-for-xbox-360-patches-report/

Superior Member
    Great news, but why for the 360 only? Perhaps it's an attempt to prolong the life.

If they change this policy on the One and allow self-publishing, I can see indies swarming to the One. If they can come up with some great non-shooter exclusives, I would definitely pick one up.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    Probably because they now have to charge for the X1 and devs won't want to pay for the patch system for a older console so they charge for the X1 and give them free patch production for the 360

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    The is for sure great news... For developers at least
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    The is for sure great news... For developers at least
    yea I was wondering when or if they were gonna stop charging them and making the devs go through mountains of paperwork to patch their games

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Extreme Poster
    *standing ovation*

Thread Information