Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Veteran

Xbox Exec: Comparing Console Specs Is 'Meaningless'

Xbox executive Albert Penello says flaunting hardware specs is "in some ways meaningless." Speaking to OXM about Sony's hardware reveal, Penello says "The problem is that Sony decided to go and and publish a bunch of numbers," which isn't why customers buy new consoles.

Players want "to play great games and have great experiences. I feel like our games and experiences are going to be every bit as good, if not better, technically."

Penello says of Sony, "As a matter of fact, they actually go out and they talk about how proud they are about their off-the-shelf parts," The Microsoft senior director says. Penello proceeds to say, "Our guys'll say, we touched every single component in the box and everything there is tweaked for optimum performance."

For Penello, the conversation about which box has better technical guts isn't "going to matter" because, as it was in the previous generation, "it's a pointless argument because people are debating things which they don't know about."
    Source

So this guy is basically saying gamers are ignorant and that we don't care what's inside the box? I don't know where he's been living lately but numbers do matter when it comes to buying new consoles.

And how can they have better gaming experiences technically with a slightly less powerful console? I don't doubt they will deliver great games, but isn't he saying is meaningless to compare yet he claims games will be better technically on X1 (which we already know it's not likely to happen because of the specs).

Also how does touching every single component help? lol I mean as much as they may tweak their DDR3 RAM it isn't magically going to equal or surpass GDDR5.

What are your thoughts?

Apprentice
    Wait until Sony brings out the big guns

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    He speaks the truth. People don't care about specs in the end. It's all about delivering great games.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Well tbh developers will always develop for the lowest common denominator, so it doesn't make that much of a difference in terms of multiplats, but we should see some different in first party games. Having said that, The Division looks better than anything Sony is bringing.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Well tbh developers will always develop for the lowest common denominator, so it doesn't make that much of a difference in terms of multiplats, but we should see some different in first party games. Having said that, The Division looks better than anything Sony is bringing.
    Multiplat games did not take advantage of the Cell because of its insane complexity, not because of the game being available on another console with less visual prowess. Game engines and the game visuals are always designed with the lead platform in mind and then ported to other consoles; whether the other platforms are weaker or stronger is never a factor in the results on the lead platform.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    In the past this was very true, but now that both system will use the x86 architecture I am hoping this generation will be different. Hopefully they will design based on the best system and then tweak it downward for the slower system.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Banned

i thought The Division looked better than what anyone was bringing.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I can't wait for the Division!!!

Also, specs aren't that important. Games and features are. Flaunt those please.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Just more MS PR talk.

Soldier 95B
    Yup, specs are the least of my concern. We already know they are close. What IS important is the GAMES and the FUN. I want more!!! Same with last gen....it was all about the great games.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Penello proceeds to say, "Our guys'll say, we touched every single component in the box and everything there is tweaked for optimum performance."

Microsoft in full PR circlejerk, well The Wizard $#@! won't flow on it's own.
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Apprentice
    Sony has Naughty Dog enough said

PSU Technical Advisor
    Eh.. They don't want to talk about it because they know they don't have the edge. If they thought they had a performance advantage, they'd be absolutely touting it.

Same with Sony. With PS3 they refused to publish any real specs for RSX- because it was inferior to Xenos in 360.

I mean yes, many (most) gamers don't know much about specs but I think that a good many of them do care what is more powerful. Especially for what they're paying.

And Xbone is $100 more expensive and dimensionally bigger. I think Xbox fans would be pleased to know that their box is more robust on a technical level.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Eh.. They don't want to talk about it because they know they don't have the edge. If they thought they had a performance advantage, they'd be absolutely touting it.

Same with Sony. With PS3 they refused to publish any real specs for RSX- because it was inferior to Xenos in 360.

I mean yes, many (most) gamers don't know much about specs but I think that a good many of them do care what is more powerful. Especially for what they're paying.

And Xbone is $100 more expensive and dimensionally bigger. I think Xbox fans would be pleased to know that their box is more robust on a technical level.
    Exactly.

If they lose America, they're as good as beat when it comes to competing with Sony.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Forum Overseer
    For Penello, the conversation about which box has better technical guts isn't "going to matter" because, as it was in the previous generation, "it's a pointless argument because people are debating things which they don't know about."

As it was in the previous generation. what a $#@!ing dumb newb. lol yea no it is nothing like the previous generation.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I think for anyone outside of internet gaming forums (aka Joe and Jane Smith), specs don't matter. They won't be going to DF for side by side analysis or anything like that. It's only the enthusiasts who care.

Forum Overseer
    average joe looks at what looks good to them. they don't care about the rest. that and the price and how easy it is for them to use the console etc. i feel that they're also slower in catching on to newer trends. it's the hardcore that start it.

like my friend still thinks ps4 won't have games because of ps3's launch lol.

Veteran
    Do you guys really not care about the specs at all? Then you wouldn't mind getting all those great upcoming games on the current gen consoles with the current graphics then? I mean if games like Watch Dogs and some more Sony exclusives will still be available for PS3, why bother with PS4?

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    Do you guys really not care about the specs at all? Then you wouldn't mind getting all those great upcoming games on the current gen consoles with the current graphics then? I mean if games like Watch Dogs and some more Sony exclusives will still be available for PS3, why bother with PS4?
    i can somewhat understand. One is still next-gen and not everyone cares about the bells and whistles...or we'd have a PC...but then again, we have the games we like on consoles...thus why people still would stick with the One as they want the games it has or will likely have.

i can see those people not caring.

i'm just happy i won't be stuck with a technically inferior console this time around.

Soldier 95B
    Of course specs matter when moving to a new generation. But when they are as close as they are, it's doesn't matter. Now, had the PS4 come out with specs like the Wii U, and you put that up next to the X1, then it's time to have a hissy fit.

But the two next gen consoles are both powerhouses that completely destroy the Wii U. Since they are so similar, it will be a case of splitting hairs in game comparison's like the current gen.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    But when they are as close as they are, it's doesn't matter.
    Um.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Do you guys really not care about the specs at all? Then you wouldn't mind getting all those great upcoming games on the current gen consoles with the current graphics then?
    If gameplay features aren't missing, then sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Specs do matter. More power = more things developers can work on. If they don't matter to you, stick with Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. A good chunk of us will game next gen without you.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    This is priceless, coming from the guys taunting Azure and the whole 5 billion transistors thing

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Players want "to play great games and have great experiences. I feel like our games and experiences are going to be every bit as good, if not better, technically."

That what it's all about right there. XB1 is gonna have great game experiences as well as powerful hardware.

Thread Information