Thread: Game Prices

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901

Game Prices

It's been said before the titles were announced that the next gen games would go up $10 like they usually do. With the confirmation of the ps4 games at 59.99, when do you guys think, if at all, there will be the next price increase in games? also, would this price increase just be a money racket or would it actually be needed for the increases cost of development for bigger and better games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Veteran
    I do hope they stick with $59.99 for this whole new gen.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    PS3 games should go down to $50 now IMO, games like Watch Dogs that are releasing on PS3 and PS4 for example, it makes no sense that the PS3 version will be the same price because it's not the same game (outside of graphics it is but yeah).
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    PS3 games should go down to $50 now IMO, games like Watch Dogs that are releasing on PS3 and PS4 for example, it makes no sense that the PS3 version will be the same price because it's not the same game (outside of graphics it is but yeah).
    yea the argument can be made that ps3 games can either go down or ps4 games can go up

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    I don't think they should go up, PC versions will still likely be ~$40, and since now that online has a separate charge, none of that $60 is going towards server upkeep. If anything, game prices should go down next gen really.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    I don't think they should go up, PC versions will still likely be ~$40, and since now that online has a separate charge, none of that $60 is going towards server upkeep. If anything, game prices should go down next gen really.
    I understand what you're saying and I agree that they should be comparable to pc games regardless. however I've read articles that "predict" that games will go up $10 due to the amount of preparation, energy, and production costs of making the game for the higher powered next gen consoles.

Elite Guru
    The disparity between a full price console game and PC game is largely due to the platform holder (i.e. Sony/Microsoft) charging a fee per unit sold. Part of the 40/$60 etc. goes into their pocket. That cost doesn't have to be paid on PC since it's an open platform.

Regardless, we'll always see these companies try to incrementally push their prices up over time. Profit, profit, profit. It's down to us as consumers on deciding what we're willing to pay.

Forum Overseer
    It probably won't go above $60 but the costs now are more than just server upkeep.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    Quote Originally Posted by forrma View Post
    yea the argument can be made that ps3 games can either go down or ps4 games can go up

Or they will be the same, they both use Blu-ray so I don't see the prices changing and it's been confirmed first parties won't go past 60$(unless special edition), expect the other developers to follow

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    The disparity between a full price console game and PC game is largely due to the platform holder (i.e. Sony/Microsoft) charging a fee per unit sold. Part of the 40/$60 etc. goes into their pocket. That cost doesn't have to be paid on PC since it's an open platform.

Regardless, we'll always see these companies try to incrementally push their prices up over time. Profit, profit, profit. It's down to us as consumers on deciding what we're willing to pay.
    you raise a great point. it is ultimately up to us wht we get charged for a game. I'm curious to see just what that point is exactly though. $70? $80? $100? (not including limited editions, goty, bundles, etc)

Ultimate Veteran
    ps4 game will stay at 60 and ps3 games should go to 50

Apprentice
    I can't see them going higher then $59.99

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    I don't believe they will either I just raised he idea for sake of argument because anything possible

Thread Information