Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    PSN ID
    fLiPdAtwAy

Playstation 4 OS...are you worried about this?

Now games are games I feel very confident in the ones that Sony will be bringing to the generation. But one thing that has me worried especially with FW 4.45 bricking some consoles is the OS. I hope that they have a lot of these issues figured out with the OS that way they don't have a lot of the same issues with this one like they did with the PS3 OS. Pretty much everytime there is a FW update I hear about a few of the PS3 being locked, bricked, or otherwise. I know for the most part Sony is a hardware company but they should be able to figure some of this stuff out gen to gen.

Also I don't feel like the XMB was very good at evolving throughout the years. It just basically stayed the same and looks dated. What is everyones thoughts on this and should we be worried about this at all? I'm still getting PS4 day one and that is why we have warranties and return policies.

Also from what it seems from the commercials I'm not entirely impressed with the OS and it's capabilities. What has everyone thought about the commercial and what the OS looks like so far from what we have seen?

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Playstation 4 OS...are you worried about this?

There will always be issues with hardware for as long as it exists. That's just the nature of things... especially with firmware updates. I always wait before updating firmware to see how it's effecting others. There will never be perfect updates without possible bugs or bricking. There's always a risk. Even when Sony or MS or any other company tests firmware or software updates... they can't eliminate all the unknowns until it's put on millions of consoles.

I couldn't tell what I think of the OS because I haven't used it yet. I can't really form an opinion until then.
    Last edited by PBM; 07-01-2013 at 00:12.
    Simplicity is the key to Brilliance

Master Guru
    Not at all. With each passing gen i'm less and less worried about these things. It's true there will always be hardware problems but it seems like over the years these consoles have become better and better at ironing out the problems.

As far as the XMB goes i loved it and i think the PS4's OS is going to be even better. The simplicity of the XMB was great, can't wait to see what they bring to the table this gen.

PSN ID
    fLiPdAtwAy
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    There will always be issues with hardware for as long as it exists. That's just the nature of things... especially with firmware updates. I always wait before updating firmware to see how it's effecting others. There will never be perfect updates without possible bugs or bricking. There's always a risk. Even when Sony or MS or any other company tests firmware or software updates... they can't eliminate all the unknowns until it's put on millions of consoles.

I couldn't tell what I think of the OS because I haven't used it yet. I can't really form an opinion until then.
    I agree, just seems like the PS3 problems are more pertinent than others. It could just be blown out of proportion by media outlets and such but they did have to take down 4.45 because of the widespread problems it was having.

PSN ID
    fLiPdAtwAy
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    Not at all. With each passing gen i'm less and less worried about these things. It's true there will always be hardware problems but it seems like over the years these consoles have become better and better at ironing out the problems.

As far as the XMB goes i loved it and i think the PS4's OS is going to be even better. The simplicity of the XMB was great, can't wait to see what they bring to the table this gen.
    I hope so. I do like how they are targeting certain things like playing the game before finishing downloading and downloading different aspects of the game first depending on what you are wanting to play. Also, I like the social integration in certain ways and the ability to cross game chat to be able to find friends in certain games and join them more quickly. I am not sure about the feed though and wanting to know every thing my friends are doing constantly. We will see how that works out.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    If I was worried about updating, then I would never never update my phone, pc, consoles, or anything else for that matter.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    I have no worries at this time I like to "believe" Sony will make sure this doesnt happen on PS4

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    I loved the XMB, and I hated how many times the 360 updated the interface. I felt like every time I finally got a good handle on where everything was, they came out with a new one that I found worse.

And PS3 FW 4.45 is not worth being worried about, it effected a small amount of PS3s and it was fixed a week later. I havent read anything about someone needing to send the PS3 off for repair due to the update.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Xmb is awesome. Ill take it any day over the 360s ugly add filled interface. The first time they changed the 360 dash was great IMO.

I hope the ps4 interface will look good and run smoothly. But don't be worried about updates and bricking things... That was a freak accident and was fixed anyway. I know someone who it affected and the new firmware via USB was an easy fix

Via Tapatalk

PS4/PS3/X360/WiiU/PC/3DS/PSV

Apprentice

They better have the ability to play music at Any time, in Any Game and also the ability to set default controls for games like Inverted Controls.

PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Xmb is awesome. Ill take it any day over the 360s ugly add filled interface. The first time they changed the 360 dash was great IMO.

I hope the ps4 interface will look good and run smoothly. But don't be worried about updates and bricking things... That was a freak accident and was fixed anyway. I know someone who it affected and the new firmware via USB was an easy fix

Via Tapatalk
    I was going to say this, a-hole!
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

PSN ID
    fLiPdAtwAy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Tooth View Post
    They better have the ability to play music at Any time, in Any Game and also the ability to set default controls for games like Inverted Controls.
    This would be a great addition. But not necessarily a deal breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post

Via Tapatalk
    Yeah. I'm not really worried just hopefully they get better at them really. Doesn't make me want to buy the console any less. I think they will get better at things also. Plus the more we help them with console preorders the more effort they can put into it.
    Last edited by DarkVincent07; 07-01-2013 at 05:40.

Extreme Poster
    The XMB wasn't very good at evolving because they never attempted it.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    The reality is any time you update the FW of a system, you run into the chance of exposing vulnerabilities in HW.

That said, I suspect the vast majority of this OS Bricked my System (there are complaints ever single OS upgrade) are mis-associated bad timing of peoples machines dying a standard death and reporting it being do to OS update.

That said, yes, 4.45 apparently stressed something that didn't normally get stressed a lot and managed to brick a small percentage of units.

The reality is, I'm glad to take my chances that there is a very slim chance of resulting in my PS fail, in order to have a Console that supports the latest features reasonably available.

15. Likes Sufi wishes they had posted this first.
    Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Whatever they do im sure i will like it. Only problem i had with PS3s OS was the slow ass store which shouldnt be a problem since Cerny said speed and immediacy are priorities for Sony.

RIP Oculus Rift

Extreme Poster
    I like that idea too. I don't care for superficial features, I want efficiency and social stuff.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Not worried. Sony's been doing everything right with the PS4 so I'm confident that the OS will be good.

Ultimate Veteran
    The PS 4 OS will be fine,

Veteran
    I think PS4's OS isn't fancy or amazing, but I think it does the job. Looks simple but effective.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Bugs happen with everything whether it be with hardware or software. Doesn't matter who makes it there will be problems at some point. Usually they are really very quick so not really a big deal.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

PSN ID
    fLiPdAtwAy
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    Whatever they do im sure i will like it. Only problem i had with PS3s OS was the slow ass store which shouldnt be a problem since Cerny said speed and immediacy are priorities for Sony.
    I hope so. The store is buggy as hell

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    I'm a bit worried that they will make it similar to what Playstation Store looks and works like today. The pictures and clips I've seen so far looks kind of similar to PSS (navigation through pictures). PSS is a disaster the way it looks and works right now. It's terribly slow and is hopeless to navigate, IMO. I really hope they keep some of the simplicity and directness of XMB. I prefer a fast low foot print OS that allows you to go directly to where you wanna go without having to go through too many steps to get there.

When it comes to buggy firmware updates I've been lucky so far. So I can't say I'm especially worried about that.

Aren't they using a different basis for their OS this time around?

http://www.geek.com/games/ps4-runs-m...ystem-1559866/

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by fLiPdAtwAy View Post
    Now games are games I feel very confident in the ones that Sony will be bringing to the generation. But one thing that has me worried especially with FW 4.45 bricking some consoles is the OS. I hope that they have a lot of these issues figured out with the OS that way they don't have a lot of the same issues with this one like they did with the PS3 OS. Pretty much everytime there is a FW update I hear about a few of the PS3 being locked, bricked, or otherwise. I know for the most part Sony is a hardware company but they should be able to figure some of this stuff out gen to gen.

Also I don't feel like the XMB was very good at evolving throughout the years. It just basically stayed the same and looks dated. What is everyones thoughts on this and should we be worried about this at all? I'm still getting PS4 day one and that is why we have warranties and return policies.

Also from what it seems from the commercials I'm not entirely impressed with the OS and it's capabilities. What has everyone thought about the commercial and what the OS looks like so far from what we have seen?
    I think Sony has done a lot if work to the xmb and I like it from what they've shown in the commercials. just IMO. as far as the bricking goes, as soon as I write this it'll probably happen but I haven't had any problems with my fat 500gb ps3 bricking at all. not even with the most recent update that screwed a lot of people up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Ultimate Veteran
    http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xbo...Ads-57112.html

This worries me more than a botched update. I hope PS4 isn't going in this direction. I'd be pretty miffed considering I have subscribed to PS+
    Last edited by Lefein; 07-01-2013 at 16:44.

Thread Information