Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    do you have a link stating that the Xbox One was built from the ground up? I have seen the quote where they said that they touched every component but where does it say that they built it from the ground up?
    Assembled might be a better word to use.
    I think you guys are confusing modified reference designs with a complete revamp.

Look both use jaguar chips those sections of the chips will be very similar, but there is simply no APU built with ESRAM in it. No gpu with it either.
    Last edited by mynd; 07-11-2013 at 05:29.

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Assembled might be a better word to use.
    I understand what assembling a product means but i don't understand the context in which you are using it for the Xbox One. What do you mean by assembled?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Sony have stated they took what AMD gave them and beefed up certain aspects by adding more ring buffers/queues and strengthening the garlic/onion bus's. In many respects its not so much co-developed as much as "modified". The Xbox One is a fully customized GPU, while aspects of it have come from AMD's reference designs, there is plenty that is just not normal about this machine including. You only have to look at what each respective party has told us about the units. The PS4 is a customization of off the shelf parts. Think of it like a car that you've taken off the assembly line then modified. On the other side, the Xbox One is a fully built unit from the ground up. As I have said, there is absolutely nothing semi-custom about the Xbox One in any way. They touched and modified every single componant of the silicon.
    Nothing semi custom in any way? Nothing? Read the first sentence in this article. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/x...laystation-4/2

Forum Overseer

Look both use jaguar chips those sections of the chips will be very similar, but there is simply no APU built with ESRAM in it. No gpu with it either.
    and that makes it...built from the ground up and not semi-customized? i'm not saying it's impossible that One is not more customized than the PS4 but how can you call one semi-customized and the other built from the ground up? when they're both using fairly similar technologies except a few differences here and there? not speaking about power.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    and that makes it...built from the ground up and not semi-customized? i'm not saying it's impossible that One is not more customized than the PS4 but how can you call one semi-customized and the other built from the ground up? when they're both using fairly similar technologies except a few differences here and there? not speaking about power.
    I guess it's going to comes down to you definition of custom. If you take a complete reference design, and add some modifications, I would classify that as semi-custom.

On the other hand, if you come in and say right we want these components in our product, and we have to build our components around these completely non-standard specs and components, then I think your going to have to say its fully customized.

Let me be clear I'm not saying that its any better, but it sure as hell at normal.

If you the car analogy, Sony would have walked in and said, right we want that car and we are going to add some mods to the engine.

MS went in and said, right we have this piece here, we need to put a car around it.
    Last edited by mynd; 07-11-2013 at 05:48.

Administrator

PS4 GPU Can perform asynchronous complex processes

Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Nothing semi custom in any way? Nothing? Read the first sentence in this article. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/x...laystation-4/2
    He'll probably dance around it.

I guess it's going to comes down to you definition of custom. If you take a complete reference design, and add some modifications, I would classify that as semi-custom.

On the other hand, if you come in and say right we want these components in our product, and we have to build our components around these completely non-standard specs and components, then I think your going to have to say its fully customized.

Let me be clear I'm not saying that its any better, but it sure as hell at normal.
    And he did.

Note that unlike the Xbox 360 vs. PS3 era, Sony's hardware advantage here won't need any clever developer work to extract - the architectures are near identical, Sony just has more resources available to use.

Remember all of my talk earlier about a slight pivot in strategy? Microsoft seems to believe that throwing as much power as possible at the next Xbox wasn’t the key to success and its silicon choices reflect that.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Are we talking about the silicon or just the jaguar and GPU cores?

Because I'm talking about the whole silicon.
    They are referring to the CPU/GPU cores.

A SOC is much more than simply that.

Forum Overseer

That's neither "fully customized" nor "built from the ground up". You're using extreme words to describe something that is just slightly more different...rather than more customized.

If you the car analogy, Sony would have walked in and said, right we want that car and we are going to add some mods to the engine.

MS went in and said, right we have this piece here, we need to put a car around it.
    and in no way would that mean that the cars are any different. to add to this example, MS went with a car that has a special exhaust pipe...does it make it fully customized? No. Does it make it built from the ground up? Does it make it different? Yes.

More customized would be if they had to change more things about the APU than Sony had to. Can you certainly say (going against the other techies) that MS made more modifications to their APU than Sony did to theirs?

Explain, I'll be glad to listen.

Administrator
    Are we talking about the silicon or just the jaguar and GPU cores?

They are referring to the CPU/GPU cores.

A SOC is much more than simply that.
    You heavily edited your post I see since what you first posted was blatantly false.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    That's neither "fully customized" nor "built from the ground up". You're using extreme words to describe something that is just slightly more different...rather than more customized.

and in no way would that mean that the cars are any different. to add to this example, MS went with a car that has a special exhaust pipe...does it make it fully customized? No. Does it make it built from the ground up? Does it make it different? Yes.

More customized would be if they had to change more things about the APU than Sony had to. Can you certainly say (going against the other techies) that MS made more modifications to their APU than Sony did to theirs?
    Whats an APU exactly? I think you guys need to take a step back form these catch phrases and take a look at the system architecture of both systems.

The system architecture of the Xbox one is built from the ground up.
    It has to be, it has to support dual bus's, extra components and memory clients that don't at all exist in a normal design.

That doesn't mean that the GPU or the CPU side of things is any different to the PS4.

Ill repeat what I have said for ages...the differences is about how these things are put together, how the data flows around the chips and any potential bottlenecks.

Think of the GPU/CPU parts as black boxes, they may well be exactly identical. What feeds them where the data comes from, where it goes are the parts that are customized.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    You heavily edited your post I see since what you first posted was blatantly false.
    What?

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    dbl post
    Last edited by mynd; 07-11-2013 at 06:16.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    If something I am trying to say can be taken another way, it will tend to be around here, so I will read something, think, that can be read another way,or I look at and feel its not complete, I will expand on it to clarify my position.

Forum Overseer

Whats an APU exactly? I think you guys need to take a step back form these catch phrases and take a look at the system architecture of both systems.

The system architecture of the Xbox one is built from the ground up.
    It has to be, it has to support dual bus's, extra components and memory clients that don't at all exist in a normal design.

That doesn't mean that the GPU or the CPU side of things is any different to the PS4.

Ill repeat what I have said for ages...the differences is about how these things are put together, how the data flows around the chips and any potential bottlenecks.

Think of the GPU/CPU parts as black boxes, they may well be exactly identical. What feeds them where the data comes from, where it goes are the parts that are customized.
    I get that but again, I'm having a difficult time understanding how One is more customized than the PS4. You've just told me that One is customized just like the PS4. Did you mean to say something different?

If you were talking about the system architecture only...are you saying that Sony did not make any changes to their architecture?

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    I get that but again, I'm having a difficult time understanding how One is more customized than the PS4. You've just told me that One is customized just like the PS4. Did you mean to say something different?

If you were talking about the system architecture only...well, what about the modifications Sony did to their APU?
    Well thats the thing, you just said it yourself, what Sony did was take a reference design and modify it. (Bloody good modification too).

There is nothing "modified" about the Xbox one system architecture. Yes there's a "box" for the CPU and a box for the GPU, and if you compared those parts of the silicon you will likely find the same parts as the PS4. But everything else around it is vastly different, while the PS4 is a APU setup, with a couple of extra lanes the rest of the chip is the same basic memory controller/bus/cache setup as any other APU.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Both seem to be semi-customized Jaguar APUs, although there were earlier comparisons that showed the CPU of the Xbone as being an 8-core Microsoft custom CPU(mainly before Xbone official specs were released). Going by both specs though, it seems the PS4 has been just as heavily modified as the Xbone. The PS4 has upped the GPGPU compute sources from 2 to 64, and added an extra bus from the GPU to the ram, etc. Adding eSRAM doesn't make Xbone more heavily customized than the PS4. The eSRAM is a necessity to offset the limited bandwidth of the DDR3 ram, which isn't ideal for modern GPU rendering. Sony even mentioned that they could have halved the 256bit to 128bit and brought the bandwidth down from 176gb/s to 88gb/s and used eDRAM to bring it back up to over 1TB/s, but chose to stick with what they had because the eDRAM would add an extra hurdle for devs to have to decide when and what goes down that small 32mb pipeline at a time.

"However John Taylor, head of marketing for AMD's Global Business Units, said that a version of the same chip without Sony's technology will be available for consumers later this year.

Taylor told The INQUIRER that the AMD branded APU chip will not have the same number of cores or the same computing capability as Sony's part.

He said, "Everything that Sony has shared in that single chip is AMD [intellectual property], but we have not built an APU quite like that for anyone else in the market. It is by far the most powerful APU we have built to date, it leverages [intellectual property] that you will find in our A-series APUs later this year, our new generation of APUs but none that will quite be to that level of sheer number of cores, sheer number of teraflops.""

This speaks alot on power, but there's a plethora of info covering the sheer amount of customization that's been done on the PS4. Microsoft has done a lot on their end too, like the added move engines in their box and such, but both APUs are based on a custom 8-core Jaguar APU at their core and neither are completely built from the ground up.

17. Likes MonkeyClaw, Two4DaMoney , Ghost likes this post
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by XtraTrstrL View Post
    Both seem to be semi-customized Jaguar APUs, although there were earlier comparisons that showed the CPU of the Xbone as being an 8-core Microsoft custom CPU(mainly before Xbone official specs were released). Going by both specs though, it seems the PS4 has been just as heavily modified as the Xbone. The PS4 has upped the GPGPU compute sources from 2 to 64, and added an extra bus from the GPU to the ram, etc. Adding eSRAM doesn't make Xbone more heavily customized than the PS4. The eSRAM is a necessity to offset the limited bandwidth of the DDR3 ram, which isn't ideal for modern GPU rendering. Sony even mentioned that they could have halved the 256bit to 128bit and brought the bandwidth down from 176gb/s to 88gb/s and used eDRAM to bring it back up to over 1TB/s, but chose to stick with what they had because the eDRAM would add an extra hurdle for devs to have to decide when and what goes down that small 32mb pipeline at a time.

"However John Taylor, head of marketing for AMD's Global Business Units, said that a version of the same chip without Sony's technology will be available for consumers later this year.

Taylor told The INQUIRER that the AMD branded APU chip will not have the same number of cores or the same computing capability as Sony's part.

He said, "Everything that Sony has shared in that single chip is AMD [intellectual property], but we have not built an APU quite like that for anyone else in the market. It is by far the most powerful APU we have built to date, it leverages [intellectual property] that you will find in our A-series APUs later this year, our new generation of APUs but none that will quite be to that level of sheer number of cores, sheer number of teraflops.""

This speaks alot on power, but there's a plethora of info covering the sheer amount of customization that's been done on the PS4. Microsoft has done a lot on their end too, like the added move engines in their box and such, but both APUs are based on a custom 8-core Jaguar APU at their core and neither are completely built from the ground up.
    Thank you for explaining in English.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Both seem to be semi-customized Jaguar APUs, although there were earlier comparisons that showed the CPU of the Xbone as being an 8-core Microsoft custom CPU(mainly before Xbone official specs were released). Going by both specs though, it seems the PS4 has been just as heavily modified as the Xbone. The PS4 has upped the GPGPU compute sources from 2 to 64, and added an extra bus from the GPU to the ram, etc. Adding eSRAM doesn't make Xbone more heavily customized than the PS4. The eSRAM is a necessity to offset the limited bandwidth of the DDR3 ram, which isn't ideal for modern GPU rendering. Sony even mentioned that they could have halved the 256bit to 128bit and brought the bandwidth down from 176gb/s to 88gb/s and used eDRAM to bring it back up to over 1TB/s, but chose to stick with what they had because the eDRAM would add an extra hurdle for devs to have to decide when and what goes down that small 32mb pipeline at a time. "However John Taylor, head of marketing for AMD's Global Business Units, said that a version of the same chip without Sony's technology will be available for consumers later this year. Taylor told The INQUIRER that the AMD branded APU chip will not have the same number of cores or the same computing capability as Sony's part. He said, "Everything that Sony has shared in that single chip is AMD [intellectual property], but we have not built an APU quite like that for anyone else in the market. It is by far the most powerful APU we have built to date, it leverages [intellectual property] that you will find in our A-series APUs later this year, our new generation of APUs but none that will quite be to that level of sheer number of cores, sheer number of teraflops."" This speaks alot on power, but there's a plethora of info covering the sheer amount of customization that's been done on the PS4. Microsoft has done a lot on their end too, like the added move engines in their box and such, but both APUs are based on a custom 8-core Jaguar APU at their core and neither are completely built from the ground up.
    Great info and easy to understand. +rep

Forum Overseer

so in other words, both architectures are customized? i'm getting confused by what mynd means that while APUs are similar, the architecture isn't...i always assumed that the architecture was directly related to the CPU/GPU?

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    so in other words, both architectures are customized? i'm getting confused by what mynd means that while APUs are similar, the architecture isn't...i always assumed that the architecture was directly related to the CPU/GPU?
    Archetecure can mean anything. I was specifically referring to system archetecture of the SOC, not individual components of it.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Yeah, at first, I thought you two were talking solely about APUs. It seems he's talking about the full box, I believe he's stating that the Xbone is a more exotic architecture overall. If that's what he's saying, he's probably right. The PS4 doesn't have move engines, which are pretty unique, although the PS4 does have tons of individual hardware chips that handle different functions individually to drastically lower the overhead of the GPU, which the move engines are used to do for the Xbone.

||Here's an example of what the move engines do||

Forum Overseer

Archetecure can mean anything. I was specifically referring to system archetecture of the SOC, not individual components of it.
    oh right. ok...i went back to see the comments to see how the discussion got started. so i was wondering if you do believe that the ps4 wasn't efficient enough to hold its power advantage...i figured that's how the whole discussion about Xbox being fully customized and built from the ground up, began.
    Yeah, at first, I thought you two were talking solely about APUs. It seems he's talking about the full box, I believe he's stating that the Xbone is a more exotic architecture overall. If that's what he's saying, he's probably right. The PS4 doesn't have move engines, which are pretty unique, although the PS4 does have tons of individual hardware chips that handle different functions individually to drastically lower the overhead of the GPU, which the move engines are used to do for the Xbone.

that's what i understood as well. what i didn't know was that PS4 used additional chips to take the load off its APU.

Administrator

What benefit will the move engines have for devs? For games? How does that compare to what the PS4 does? That's a great article, but half of it is gibberish to us normal folk.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    What benefit will the move engines have for devs? For games? How does that compare to what the PS4 does? That's a great article, but half of it is gibberish to us normal folk.
    To put it as simple as possible "they can offload work from the rest of the system and obtain useful results at minimal cost." So, basically, they do what the PS4's individual hardware chips will do, except they do it more in unison.

The PS4 has a video encoder/decoder chip, an audio processor chip for handling cross-game-chat and 200 concurrent mp3 streams in-game, zlib decompression on-the-fly so that blu-ray games can all be compressed by default and bigger chunks can be loaded at a time. It's also got a secondary ARM CPU that handles background downloads, uploads and social gameplay.

It's hard to say which will help more, but when you consider that everything about Sony's approach deals with leaving as much power as possible for gaming, I'd say the PS4's approach will probably help with "GAMING" more overall. Even if the move engine may possibly do more, it almost definitely isn't being used solely to lend more resources for gaming. The move engines will be used to help with the 3 OSes and the more expansive and APU taxing multitasking, Game DVR, gaming, and will likely handle work for the complex Kinect 2.

It's hard to know how easy the move engines will be to use, it depends on the SDK kits I guess, and how they are incorporated, whether devs have to actively push stuff through the move engines, or if it's a more of an automatic type of thing. The PS4's hardware is already being praised for being extremely easy to use, and it's known that the PS4 is in a more healthy state development wise, with more mature Software Development Kits and such. Xbox One is behind right now in that department, so, we'll have to wait until Microsoft catches up in that area to know for sure. The PS4's raw power is so far ahead though that the move engines, even if used solely for gaming won't push Xbone up to or beyond the PS4's level. It can definitely help keep Xbone afloat though.

Administrator

To put it as simple as possible "they can offload work from the rest of the system and obtain useful results at minimal cost." So, basically, they do what the PS4's individual hardware chips will do, except they do it more in unison.

The PS4 has a video encoder/decoder chip, an audio processor chip for handling cross-game-chat and 200 concurrent mp3 streams in-game, zlib decompression on-the-fly so that blu-ray games can all be compressed by default and bigger chunks can be loaded at a time. It's also got a secondary ARM CPU that handles background downloads, uploads and social gameplay.

It's hard to say which will help more, but when you consider that everything about Sony's approach deals with leaving as much power as possible for gaming, I'd say the PS4's approach will probably help with "GAMING" more overall. Even if the move engine may possibly do more, it almost definitely isn't being used solely to lend more resources for gaming. The move engines will be used to help with the 3 OSes and the more expansive and APU taxing multitasking, Game DVR, gaming, and will likely handle work for the complex Kinect 2.

It's hard to know how easy the move engines will be to use, it depends on the SDK kits I guess, and how they are incorporated, whether devs have to actively push stuff through the move engines, or if it's a more of an automatic type of thing. The PS4's hardware is already being praised for being extremely easy to use, and it's known that the PS4 is in a more healthy state development wise, with more mature Software Development Kits and such. Xbox One is behind right now in that department, so, we'll have to wait until Microsoft catches up in that area to know for sure. The PS4's raw power is so far ahead though that the move engines, even if used solely for gaming won't push Xbone up to or beyond the PS4's level. It can definitely help keep Xbone afloat though.
    Thanks! You just indirectly answered other questions I had as well... lol.

Thread Information