Latest PSU headlines:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 6
    Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by Flumbooze View Post
    His post was $#@!ty because it didn't make sense. The CELL-technology was too difficult to develop for and we paid the price for that.
    So u dont think if they went with cell it would have gotten to where ppl for use to coding for it or are u referring to it being more expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Extreme Poster
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon_Filter View Post
    Cell is good CPU just these lazy developers wants something easy to work with and not spending time as they are greedy for money and releasing their games yearly and thats all.
    They're not lazy, they just don't want to spend more time and money when you don't have to and honestly we didn't need a powerful CPU. we needed a powerful GPU.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by forrma View Post
    So u dont think if they went with cell it would have gotten to where ppl for use to coding for it or are u referring to it being more expensive

What?

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    What?
    Isn't the main issue with CELL is that it was hard to code for?

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style

Mark Cerny Explains Why they didn't choose CELL for this gen

I think he's saying 'what' because your grammar in that post is... incoherent.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Very happy to know Sony switched CPU architecture from MIPS (PS1, PS2, PSP) and PowerPC/SPU/CELL (PS3)
    to X86 for PS4.

Elite Guru
    When your code base is around ~2 million lines, having a CPU which has some serious performance pitfalls for a 'general code' is not a good thing. (PPU cannot be called a good CPU even on a good day.)
    For big code a readability and a easy maintainability is everything, having to move a lot of things to SPUs is a burden that developers could do well without.
    Cell would have been a lot better with a decent PPU.

That's just it the PPU was far to weak for what was required even for the PS3, it would have been horrible going into something like Ps4. Cell simply doesn't make sense any more, it's a processor design that just doesn't have many uses going forward.

Also I think many people have to realise, 2 million line of code these days is a small project! That about where a lot of A grade games on Ps2 where sitting a

Also calling people who do work up to ~80 hours a weeks lazy is just incredible.

Remember that's 80 hour weeks without over time pay, it also goes up in crunch time! I've heard stories of people essentially living at their work place for a month straight just to get about 120-130 hours a week in just to finish a project/get the e3 demo finished.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    Yes, but what PeanutButterMunky said. I feel like there's two people on your account, one knows how to write comprehensible sentences, the other one doesn't.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    Remember that's 80 hour weeks without over time pay, it also goes up in crunch time! I've heard stories of people essentially living at their work place for a month straight just to get about 120-130 hours a week in just to finish a project/get the e3 demo finished.
    I agree, we shouldn't just call them lazy.

I'm pretty sure that if someday our employers took away our computers and wanted us to write everything out that we used to type with the word processor, and then if we complained about it, we'd be called lazy too.

Dedicated Member
    Stanfordians who took up the 'folding at home' project on ps3 are of the opinion that the cell is not a gaming processor but still for some weird reason sony/ken k decided to go with it (i know a couple of stanfordians personally). it's good that they have ditched the cell for the ps4 and relied on more western developer input for the ps4 hardware. it should help in the long run with easy development for third party devs and no delayed or weak ports.

Extreme Poster
    Cell was "probably" put in the PS3 for 2 reasons: 1) They made it for all of their businesses so it would give them best bang for the buck. 2) Ken wanted a true all-in-one machine (why system RAM was much faster and dedicated) but he was squashed and likely his ideas before all that happened.

i.e. Cell is a microprocessor architecture that combines a general-purpose Power Architecture core of modest performance with streamlined coprocessing elements[1] which greatly accelerate multimedia and vector processing applications, as well as many other forms of dedicated computation. - Wikipedia
    Last edited by Omar; 07-06-2013 at 16:46.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Yes, but what PeanutButterMunky said. I feel like there's two people on your account, one knows how to write comprehensible sentences, the other one doesn't.
    sorry it's my autocorrect. I'm on my phone here half the time and sometimes it jacks $#@! up

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    sorry it's my autocorrect. I'm on my phone here half the time and sometimes it jacks $#@! up

yeah, I have to watch out for that too.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    yeah, I have to watch out for that too.
    my laptop doesn't really run the site well but I'll use my laptop when I need to give rep to some people. other than that tapatalk does a good job in letting me learn some good $#@! on here

PSN ID
    breakend28
    Hopefully by ditching the CELL the next FALLOUT game won't be as bugged/Glitchy!

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by PSgamer28 View Post
    Hopefully by ditching the CELL the next FALLOUT game won't be as bugged/Glitchy!
    lol excited for a new fallout game on the x86?

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Cell was "probably" put in the PS3 for 2 reasons: 1) They made it for all of their businesses so it would give them best bang for the buck. 2) Ken wanted a true all-in-one machine (why system RAM was much faster and dedicated) but he was squashed and likely his ideas before all that happened.

i.e. Cell is a microprocessor architecture that combines a general-purpose Power Architecture core of modest performance with streamlined coprocessing elements[1] which greatly accelerate multimedia and vector processing applications, as well as many other forms of dedicated computation. - Wikipedia
    Cell definitely had the potential to be something amazing but the problem is that it just didn't pick up traction outside of Ps3. Apple ditched PPC just before Cell was ready to go mainstream, SmartTV functionality didn't materialise until years later than expected and the push for ever increasing performance started to be mitigated by the ever growing need for easier/cheaper development cycles.

We have to realise that Cell was conceived of in the early 2000's and when things where looking very different. The need to massive processing capabilities in terms of video/audio/physics was a real pressing matter that eventually got dominated by less powerful but easier to build for platforms.

Products like iPhone/iPad/Android came along and convinced people that they didn't need extra hardware to deliver the experiences they needed. Cell simply missed the opportunity because the market changed to quickly.

Definitely have an easier time bug testing it this time around.

18. Likes FireSol , Omar likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by PSgamer28 View Post
    PS3 version had more glitches?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    Cell definitely had the potential to be something amazing but the problem is that it just didn't pick up traction outside of Ps3. Apple ditched PPC just before Cell was ready to go mainstream, SmartTV functionality didn't materialise until years later than expected and the push for ever increasing performance started to be mitigated by the ever growing need for easier/cheaper development cycles.

We have to realise that Cell was conceived of in the early 2000's and when things where looking very different. The need to massive processing capabilities in terms of video/audio/physics was a real pressing matter that eventually got dominated by less powerful but easier to build for platforms.

Products like iPhone/iPad/Android came along and convinced people that they didn't need extra hardware to deliver the experiences they needed. Cell simply missed the opportunity because the market changed to quickly.

[/COLOR]

Definitely have an easier time bug testing it this time around.
    interesting points. that makes sense. yea i remember the time when the only way to move forward seemed like grid computing...i honestly never liked it.

the phones are still somewhat connected to other devices/equipment like they had hoped...like you have apps that can control/manipulate a lot of real world stuff.

PSN ID
    breakend28
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon_Filter View Post
    Cell is good CPU just these lazy developers wants something easy to work with and not spending time as they are greedy for money and releasing their games yearly and thats all.
    I agree but you can't blame them for lacking the time and/or skill to master the Cell. At least with the new Architecture of the PS4, devs will not have that issue of "its too difficult to work on". I love Marks statement "Easy to learn, Hard to master". "Greatness awaits", indeed!
    Last edited by PSgamer28; 07-09-2013 at 13:19.

Thread Information