Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple

AMD Radeon HD 9000 Series Launching in October?

http://videocardz.com/43446/amd-rade...nching-october
    The GPU card known as the Volcanic Island Hawaii with a die size of 20mm.

June was surely a month of GeForce GTX 700 series. NVIDIA launched three cards in less than 30 days without any actual response from AMD.

If you thought that AMD engineers were on vacation then you are mistaken. Apparently they were working on new GPUs, especially a Hawaii silicon, which is believed to power the upcoming Radeon HD 9970 and HD 9950. Yes, that’s not a typo, AMD will supposedly drop the HD 8000 naming reserved for OEM-parts, and use HD 9000 instead. This was rumored for a long time, but people were not convinced enough to confirmed it. According to my sources this is true, there won’t be any Radeon HD 8970 non-OEM card, which if you think about actually makes sense. Imagine two cards having the same name, but different specs. Maybe now people will stop posting Radeon HD 8970 OEM datasheet as a news about a leaked document directly from AMD site (seriously don’t do that).

According to ChinaDIY, AMD could be preparing its Radeon HD 9000 series for October, which is the launch month for Battlefield 4, a Gaming Evolved title. My information is more optimistic. Unless the roadmap has changed, AMD could show off the new series in September. Some sources even claim it could be the first week of September. Regardless of what month is it going to be, we are two or three months until the new series arrive. Most likely AMD will start with HD 9970, which if the rumors are true will be faster than GeForce GTX 780, but slower than GTX TITAN. However the big question is not the performance, but the price. If the card would cost $550, then we have a clear winner.

The Chinese source also claims that AMD will resurrect the Radeon 9550, only now with the HD-part. Interesting fact is that it’s almost exactly 9 years since the launch of this card.
    Last edited by The Sith; 07-02-2013 at 14:12.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I've been waiting for this... I want some price and benchmarks so I can decide on which way I'm going this time. I'll be replacing a decade old, upgraded and just flat out USED PC. lol

Forum Sage
    Interesting... I'll be interested to see what the benchmarks are like but my new PC won't be having anything from AMD inside. I can't stand their driver support and even worse, the was XFire scales is terrible.

Buying my GTX780 superclocked next month. Out performs a Titan and i don't have to deal with AMD again. Hurrah!*

*Obviously some people have amazing experiences with AMD and have had bad experiences with the Green team. But in my past experience, i won't be using an ATI card again.

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    Well they may give some more information on the new next generation gpu cards at the Hot Chips Symposium co-sponsored by IBM and Microsoft Aug 25-27
    http://www.hotchips.org/

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I might go all out AMD this time... I dunno. Intel + AMD or just AMD altogether.

Forum Sage
    No doubt AMD are amazing and beat both Nvidia and Intel by a decent margin whenever it comes to Price:Performance but their driver support is too shoddy for me.

BBK. Tapatalking.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Not had a total disastrous experience with AMD/ATI but its not been smooth sailing. Simple things that need implementing in drivers simply are not there or hard to use and figure out.

Dedicated Member

Good. I'm waiting for these and the Nvidia Maxwell series to launch to decide between the two. Hopefully this all happens before The Witcher 3 is released.

I wanted to get a new GPU sooner, but not knowing how the new consoles will affect the PC market is making me cautious. This should be clearer next year.

Forum Sage

To be fair and as unbiased as I can be, I've not really had many issues with either Nvidia or AMD (ATI) graphics cards. I do get the occasional driver issue with AMD cards but it's nothing serious. I've had driver issues with Nvidia as well in the past but I can't speak for them currently. Still, I believe that AMD has better offerings considering the price-performance ratios.

Thread Information