Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Sony never had the intention of eliminating used games

Forum Elder
    Good stuff.

Xbone gamers everywhere need to thank sony for putting ms in a panic and making them reverse those $#@!ed up policies they had.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3. Likes Beasley2K likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Not xb gamers, all gamers have to thank sony.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    dp
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    "And the flipside of the argument is that retailers will tell you that the vast majority of trade-in value gets immediately repurposed into new purchases of games, and those people in turn generate word of mouth and create more interest."

Commerce begets commerce. Yep...after-sale trades and resells are good for everybody
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    I doubt they never thought about it, but I'm extremely happy they didn't do it.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Never? Begs the question.. Why patent a technology blocking used games then?

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk 2

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    Never? Begs the question.. Why patent a technology blocking used games then?

Good point, but then again companies patent stuff they never plan to use all the time. No idea if that is the case here.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    ANDYENG
    More PR. Great!

Soldier 95B
    Of course they are going to say that lol.

12. Likes Foraeli likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    yup sony allways wanted used games.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Sony has definitely considered it, but it would be useless to ever come out and say it

To be honest, I couldn't care less whether they considered it or not, but people that say things like "Sony thought about implementing a similar thing so are just as bad as Microsoft" need to shut up. It's mainly Nintendo fans that come up with that argument as an attempt to defame Sony, but they just make themselves look like idiots. Not doing something is nowhere near as bad as attempting to do something then changing your mind due to backlash. Basically, they're trying to condemn a company for something they didn't do. Think about that for a sec. How stupid does it sound? Exactly. The fact is, Sony didn't do it, whether they thought about it or not. End of. There aren't even any official articles (that I know of) that explicitly state that Sony even considered doing this. It's all rumours. For all we know, Nintendo may have thought of it too, the difference is that it never went public.

People need to stop trying to make a company look bad for something they didn't do. Sony didn't implement restriction on used games, that's all that matters. Whether they considered it is irrelevant.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Beasley2K View Post
    To be honest, I couldn't care less whether they considered it or not, but people that say things like "Sony thought about implementing a similar thing so are just as bad as Microsoft" need to shut up. It's mainly Nintendo fans that come up with that argument as an attempt to defame Sony, but they just make themselves look like idiots. Not doing something is nowhere near as bad as attempting to do something then changing your mind due to backlash. Basically, they're trying to condemn a company for something they didn't do. Think about that for a sec. How stupid does it sound? Exactly. The fact is, Sony didn't do it, whether they thought about it or not. End of. There aren't even any official articles (that I know of) that explicitly state that Sony even considered doing this. It's all rumours. For all we know, Nintendo may have thought of it too, the difference is that it never went public. People need to stop trying to make a company look bad for something they didn't do. Sony didn't implement restriction on used games, that's all that matters. Whether they considered it is irrelevant.
    On this forum its been my observation that its the Xbox fans that try to use that baseless argument. But yeah I agree with what youre saying. I remember Sony already saying you can play offline, etc. long before MS revealed their DRM plan. Sony unlike MS has remained consistent in their console vision.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 07-04-2013 at 22:31.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    To be honest, I couldn't care less whether they considered it or not, but people that say things like "Sony thought about implementing a similar thing so are just as bad as Microsoft" need to shut up. It's mainly Nintendo fans that come up with that argument as an attempt to defame Sony, but they just make themselves look like idiots. Not doing something is nowhere near as bad as attempting to do something then changing your mind due to backlash. Basically, they're trying to condemn a company for something they didn't do. Think about that for a sec. How stupid does it sound? Exactly. The fact is, Sony didn't do it, whether they thought about it or not. End of. There aren't even any official articles (that I know of) that explicitly state that Sony even considered doing this. It's all rumours. For all we know, Nintendo may have thought of it too, the difference is that it never went public.

People need to stop trying to make a company look bad for something they didn't do. Sony didn't implement restriction on used games, that's all that matters. Whether they considered it is irrelevant.
    Who said that? I think you are misreading a lot of posts here. And it's stupid to think that way? How about being hypocritical saying not doing it after filing patents for the tech is better than doing a 180? The only difference is one went public the other didnt. Im not defending or praising either company, im stating a $#@!ing FACT and that fact is in straight response to the OP stating it was never an option for SONY...

Can YOU answer that question?

If SONY NEVER considered it, why study a tech surrounding it and filing a patent for it????

You can deny it all you want, it doesnt make it any less a FACT

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Master Guru
    I doubt the thought of DRM ever really crossed Sony's mind. It was funny seeing all the Xbox fans say the PS4 would have DRM just because the Xbox One would.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    If they ever did im sure they changed their mind once they saw what MS went thru lol

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

20. Likes Foraeli likes this post
    Apprentice
    Who said that? I think you are misreading a lot of posts here. And it's stupid to think that way? How about being hypocritical saying not doing it after filing patents for the tech is better than doing a 180? The only difference is one went public the other didnt. Im not defending or praising either company, im stating a $#@!ing FACT and that fact is in straight response to the OP stating it was never an option for SONY...

Can YOU answer that question?

If SONY NEVER considered it, why study a tech surrounding it and filing a patent for it????

You can deny it all you want, it doesnt make it any less a FACT

wtf does it matter whether they patented something or not? I am sure Sony has a lot of patents that have never been used. The only thing that matters is that Sony didn't do what MS did. Sony said you know what we are for gamers and are for used games end of story. That is the only thing that matters

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    Good stuff.

Xbone gamers everywhere need to thank sony for putting ms in a panic and making them reverse those $#@!ed up policies they had.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    lol I agree. Sony hit em hard and if it wasnt for that quite a few of Xbox gamers would be livid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    If they ever did im sure they changed their mind once they saw what MS went thru lol
    If I was to summarize Sony's thoughts and feelings into one word...

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    If I was to summarize Sony's thoughts and feelings into one word...

That isn't one word.

No-one here said it, I was referring to an argument I've heard on other sites and thought it would be relevant to bring it in here. I probably should have made that more clear.

To answer your question, companies file patents like that all the time to cover their ideas just in case they do use them. It doesn't mean they ever intended to implement DRM, it's just a back up measure in case they ever decide to. But my point is that many people are trying to make Sony look bad by saying that they thought of doing it. So what? They thought of it, and didn't do it. Nintendo probably thought of it too. The fact is neither of those companies came forward and announced anything of the sorts, so I don't get why people think they can get away with claiming they intended to and try to justify that as making them as bad as Microsoft.

Microsoft fully intended to do it but didn't because of backlash. That's a much bolder action than merely patenting the technology as a precaution. My point is that Nintendo fans need to stop acting like Sony's as bad as Microsoft by using this pathetic argument because for all we know, Nintendo thought of it too but no evidence reached the public. I'm sure Sony did consider it, but I'm merely stating that I don't care whether they considered it or not.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    No-one here said it, I was referring to an argument I've heard on other sites and thought it would be relevant to bring it in here. I probably should have made that more clear.

To answer your question, companies file patents like that all the time to cover their ideas just in case they do use them. It doesn't mean they ever intended to implement DRM, it's just a back up measure in case they ever decide to. But my point is that many people are trying to make Sony look bad by saying that they thought of doing it. So what? They thought of it, and didn't do it. Nintendo probably thought of it too. The fact is neither of those companies came forward and announced anything of the sorts, so I don't get why people think they can get away with claiming they intended to and try to justify that as making them as bad as Microsoft.

Microsoft fully intended to do it but didn't because of backlash. That's a much bolder action than merely patenting the technology as a precaution. My point is that Nintendo fans need to stop acting like Sony's as bad as Microsoft by using this pathetic argument because for all we know, Nintendo thought of it too but no evidence reached the public. I'm sure Sony did consider it, but I'm merely stating that I don't care whether they considered it or not.
    I agree with your points. there's a difference btw thinking about it and actually trying to implement it, and then not having the gall to stick with what you said was non-reversible because it's implemented into the console. it's just another bull$#@! way to try and pull Sony down to microsofts level this next gen

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    The true story is Sony trolled MS again.

Sony to MS: "Sure, MS. Go ahead and announce it. We'll be doing the same at our conference. We got to stick together on this. Gamers will learn to accept it. We going to rake in all the $$$. We deserve every penny from these used game buying ____."

Sony: " Look at those fools. They actually believed us. Ahahahaha! and it's $499. Aye! Jack!, you know all eyes are going to be on you when you announce our plans, right? Dis gon b guddd"
    Destiny is going to be EVERYTHING that EA and MS hoped titanfall would be

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    The true story is Sony trolled MS again.

Sony to MS: "Sure, MS. Go ahead and announce it. We'll be doing the same at our conference. We got to stick together on this. Gamers will learn to accept it. We going to rake in all the $$$. We deserve every penny from these used game buying ____."

Sony: " Look at those fools. They actually believed us. Ahahahaha! and it's $499. Aye! Jack!, you know all eyes are going to be on you when you announce our plans, right? Dis gon b guddd"
    lol that was pretty good right there

Thread Information