Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Rumor: Microsoft going to have a press conference in Gamescom

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...ss-conference/

Microsoft has notified event organisers and third party studios that it plans to host a press conference at Gamescom in August, CVG has learned.

Although it is not believed that a final date has been set, nor is there a complete schedule of what is to be shown, CVG understands that certain developers have already been briefed and that Microsoft will announce its plans shortly.

A spokesperson for the company said: "We're excited to be back at Gamescom this year but we're not announcing any further details on our plans at this time. Please stay tuned for more details!"

The one-hour media briefing will be the first Microsoft has held in the event's history - and is another signal of its dedication to attain a better foothold in Europe.

The decision comes in the wake of major setbacks and extraordinary eleventh-hour decisions at Microsoft's games division. On Monday the corporation confirmed Xbox chief Don Mattrick had left for Zynga - just two weeks after its dramatic abandonment of the underpinning online-native design pillars of the console.

Now, facing an uphill public relations challenge, key Xbox executives want to readdress the core attractions of the system during a one-off press conference at Gamescom - just three months before the system launches across the west.

In May, CVG was told by Sony sources that both companies are targeting Europe as a heightened priority region - in many ways more important that Japan - as part of its race to win the market.

Despite the neck-and-neck global lifetime sales of the PS3 and Xbox 360 (both edging towards 80m units), the geo-breakdown of those numbers shows that Xbox's main business is in the US (40m) and UK (8m); two areas where it has been consistently dominant.

Studios boss Phil Spencer says Microsoft still has exclusive games to reveal before Xbox One launches in November
    While PlayStation is hardly an insignificance in those two countries (about 25m sales in the US and 5m in the UK), it balances that with a healthy business across Japan and other parts of Europe. Although the chances of Xbox succeeding in Japan remain slim, its position across Europe could feasibly be strengthened.

In March 2012, the Xbox team revealed it had secured Phil Harrison's services as corporate vice president of the Interactive Entertainment Business.

At the time, Microsoft said Harrison "will not only lead the Microsoft Studios European organisation directly, but will also influence the broader performance of IEB's European business through strategic partnerships and by bringing culturally relevant entertainment experiences to Microsoft platforms, now and in the future."

Harrison's profile and knowledge of UK and European studios, along with his deep understanding of the commercial sensibilities of the region, could offer Microsoft a valuable perspective on how to succeed in the area.

With Sony expecting Microsoft to tackle Europe more aggressively, CVG heard from a company insider that PlayStation is "prepared to do whatever it takes" to ensure success in Europe - its first step being to ensure there is no PS4 delay across Europe.

Microsoft has officially confirmed an Xbox One release date window of November 2013 in 21 markets and a price of 429 / $499 / 499.
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    They will announce that kinect is no longer mandatory and they are reducing the launch price to 399$

Fingers crossed!!!

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk 2

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Forum Guru
    Kinect will be optional, headset included. USD349.

That's all I have to say..

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    They will announce that kinect is no longer mandatory and they are reducing the launch price to 399$

Fingers crossed!!!

No chance

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    No chance
    Given how things went on lately (no more DRM, region free, Mattrick leaving), its not far fetched that it could actually happen.

6. Likes MartyRules, Shingo likes this post
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post

Fingers crossed!!!

you know what two 180s give you, right?
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

If they sell an Xbox without a kinect doesn't that sort of mess around with there all in one device thing if you have to still pause the game exit to a menu chose tv from the menu and scroll thought a menu with a controller to chose a channel there is literally no benefit that just pausing and pushing the input button on your remote would do better. The kinect for me isn't so much about games I mean there wasn't even 1 shown at e3 that I'm aware of which was strange if ms knew it was pissing lots of people off by being mandatory I expected at least 1 game to show the improvement in the 2.0 from the 1.0 and to how it can be fun or utilised it bigger games. It's about all the other stuff that puts everything else just a command away the handiness of it seems good but if reality I don't think it will catch on

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanehead View Post
    Kinect will be optional, headset included. USD349.

That's all I have to say..
    i'd say if they made it optional that it would kill kinect 2.0 development and it looks like MS have way to much invested in it being needed (menus, TV, snap etc) to become optional.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Lol no way removing kinect, console is built around it.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

11. Likes x_terna likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    Lol no way removing kinect, console is built around it.

Veteran
    It's pretty funny to see the hopeful wishers hanging on for the past couple years, always about some cards MS has close to their chest, the imminent buyout of a dozen AAA studios, a Halo reboot that would cause players to shudder in astonishment, the next trilogy in the Gears universe, and so on. Instead, we got a reveal of the XBone by a whole bunch of new MS entertainment executives on-stage that demonstrated visibly that they were not gamers and several looked like they might have tried console gaming for the first time that week.

MS introduced Kinect at Gamescom. It hit with a dull thud in Europe but the American market picked up tens of millions. MS blew their wad at E3, there is no magic rabbit under the hat. Yes, they are going to have dozens of more exclusives and they are all Kinect games and apps. That really is all they have now that was kept off the table at E3. They will have a new exclusive from Remedy, possibly a new exclusive with Epic but that seems very cloudy at this point.

A lot of people are now saying MS can do a lot more 180's. They need to remember, this XBone reveal is the result of over 3 years of work. A policy, they can pivot on (got this from an inside source, the buzzword on the campus is 'pivot') but they can't re-design, re-prototype, re-fabricate specific hardware changes. It sounds like the Kinect is a dongle for the XBone and that is something they can't change by just leaving it unplugged. Their Gamescom is going to cover what they couldn't cover at E3, everything Kinect.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

14. Likes Du$t likes this post
    Apprentice

I don't think it's going to be anything fascinating, or extraordinary, Not without messing up their launch schedule anyway. Because they would have to redisign some things and such get the new specs ready to be mass produced and sent out. Which is doable but not without risking poor console quality and the potential for messed up machines. I think they will stay firm on their price or they might include bells and whistles for people to feel like they are getting real value for the money when they could just get a ps4 for cheaper a starter headset and an optional camera/eye. The only thing they could try to do is find someway to make the xbone backwards compatible. and I bet sony is already thinking about that and finding ways to make the ps3 (ps2) games playable on ps4 probably with the cloud or something. MS is in the red trying to come up with something to get themselves out of this hole they dug for themselves. And now if this is true about this headset now being included then they took that from the ps4 as well. I thought MS said the ps4 won't make them change their minds. All evidence points to MS doing stuff sony is doing. It's like they can't figure out how to listen to customers or deal with humans or something. They seem way out of touch.

Super Elite
    I don't see how Microsoft will benefit in Europe most of the countries in the Euro zone are still in a recession, so it is quite a fantasy to see how Microsoft will gain market share unless it reduces the price of it's console. Honestly I find this hard to believe.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Master Guru
    Items Final Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IV
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    It's pretty funny to see the hopeful wishers hanging on for the past couple years, always about some cards MS has close to their chest, the imminent buyout of a dozen AAA studios, a Halo reboot that would cause players to shudder in astonishment, the next trilogy in the Gears universe, and so on. Instead, we got a reveal of the XBone by a whole bunch of new MS entertainment executives on-stage that demonstrated visibly that they were not gamers and several looked like they might have tried console gaming for the first time that week.

MS introduced Kinect at Gamescom. It hit with a dull thud in Europe but the American market picked up tens of millions. MS blew their wad at E3, there is no magic rabbit under the hat. Yes, they are going to have dozens of more exclusives and they are all Kinect games and apps. That really is all they have now that was kept off the table at E3. They will have a new exclusive from Remedy, possibly a new exclusive with Epic but that seems very cloudy at this point.

A lot of people are now saying MS can do a lot more 180's. They need to remember, this XBone reveal is the result of over 3 years of work. A policy, they can pivot on (got this from an inside source, the buzzword on the campus is 'pivot') but they can't re-design, re-prototype, re-fabricate specific hardware changes. It sounds like the Kinect is a dongle for the XBone and that is something they can't change by just leaving it unplugged. Their Gamescom is going to cover what they couldn't cover at E3, everything Kinect.
    What about something for the hardcore coming from Rare? I know they have been regulated to Kinect on the 360 but I gotta believe they could show up with at least one or two projects that lean towards the hardcore, with perhaps even minimal Kinect integration, if at all. The rest coming from them could be focused on Kinect and families completely but I'm sure there has to be a few teams in the company who would have liked to refocus on the core.

Currently playing? Skyrim (360). White Knight Chronicles (PS3). Majoras Mask (Wii). Final Fanasy VII (PS2). Just completed? Final Fantasy VI.

Elite Member
    I can understand going to GC to show off there new system & games ect but why on earth do they need another press conference just 2months after E3 I don't get it!!!
    what more does MS want to talk about? they first gave you tv,tv,tv,tv,sports,tv,tv,tv,tv,tv sports,sports,tv,tv,tv then they give full of restrictions of DRM on online check-in. then they do a 180 an all that stuff, not just that but lied, manipulated fans also what's next more BS that's all I can say.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    They're not removing Kinect. As much as people are complaining about it being included, it's a technology they've invested heavily in and it's an integral part of how the console operates. It would be like Sony suddenly dropping Gaikai, which they acquired for over 300 million dollars.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    ANDYENG
    They said awhile back that more exclusives would be announced at gamescom. As well as a Xbox 360 surprise.

All I hope for is no kinect. And I suppose more exclusives wont be bad.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    they've reversed some of their policies, but i don't see them making kinect optional. they've put a lot of development into kinect2.0 and the Xbox one is made for the kinect to completely compliment it. I just don't see it happening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I have to say removing Kinect is just wishful thinking. They have sunk a lot of money into it.implementing it to be mandatory is their way to get it off the ground and running. As much as people may $#@! about it it is in their interest to keep it mandatory so they get the support they want.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    CVG heard from a company insider that PlayStation is "prepared to do whatever it takes" to ensure success in Europe
    I guess that doesn't stretch to giving the UK a fair price

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    I guess that doesn't stretch to giving the UK a fair price
    Never say never, they have given it a fair price here down under, which is new.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    they've given it a fair price everywhere it's Sony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Ultimate Veteran
    Whatever they change, they need to change it fast. I went on Amazon to see if I could still get a Day 1 preorder and it looks like they still haven't run through their launch day preorders. Even the PS3 was all gone after about a week back in '06.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I didn't expect you to be from Australia, now every time you post I am going to be picturing this guy...

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Yeah, they didn't screw you guys like last time around. What was the 360 launch in AUS? $650?
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Thread Information