Latest PSU headlines:

Superior Member

PS4 vs Xbox One GPU

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    How is 10% of the GPU power reserved for the OS? The article is making stuff up with no real knowledge of the two consoles.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    A reservation. According to rumor, the 10% figure applies to the GPU. It should be noted that similar reservations were in place for both PS3 and Xbox 360 during this generation.

Something has to be able to render the OS interface on the screen after all.

What can be safely assumed is there -is- a reservation on each console. Whether or not it is 10% is up in the air.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    You can't really reserve GPU power tho. You can reserve memory, but reserving GPU power doesn't make much sense. The OS only consumes GPU power when the interface is up on screen, meaning that it does not effect gameplay and that programmers have full access to all of the GPU power and not just 90%. So he is pretty much just lying. But what I find fishier is that he is also implying that the PS4 GPU takes up much less GPU power to handle its OS.
    Last edited by Foraeli; 07-06-2013 at 01:01.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    You can't really reserve GPU power tho. You can reserve memory, but reserving GPU power doesn't make much sense. The OS only consumes GPU power when the interface is up on screen, meaning that it does not effect gameplay and that programmers have full access to all of the GPU power and not just 90%. So he is pretty much just lying. But what I find fishier is that he is also implying that the PS4 GPU takes up much less GPU power to handle its OS.
    No.

Just.. Look, yes the OS only uses GPU 'power' when it's rendering but if you don't set aside a portion for the OS to use whenever it needs to (i.e. when the user activates it) it would screw everything up. So a reservation is in place so that it won't hamper developer's efforts.

And hell, for all we know the PS4 OS might very well require less GPU time to accomplish its tasks given that MS has put an enormous emphasis on the OS during Xbone development. It's a capstone feature.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Dang vulg you fell for it again!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Dang vulg you fell for it again!

Lol man, I don't know why I bother.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Xbone fans will stay in denial until those 2nd and 3rd wave titles hit
    Destiny is going to be EVERYTHING that EA and MS hoped titanfall would be

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    No.

Just.. Look, yes the OS only uses GPU 'power' when it's rendering but if you don't set aside a portion for the OS to use whenever it needs to (i.e. when the user activates it) it would screw everything up. So a reservation is in place so that it won't hamper developer's efforts.

And hell, for all we know the PS4 OS might very well require less GPU time to accomplish its tasks given that MS has put an enormous emphasis on the OS during Xbone development. It's a capstone feature.
    You got proof of this? It puzzles me why GPU time is needed to be reserved when the game and OS are not running at the same time and therefore doesn't need to use the reserved GPU time. According to your description that is.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    You got proof of this? It puzzles me why GPU time is needed to be reserved when the game and OS are not running at the same time and therefore doesn't need to use the reserved GPU time. According to your description that is.
    Except the game and the OS are running at the same time. Many games have logic in place to try and pause it when you hit the PS HOME or Xbox Guide button but if you're in an MP session the game keeps on ticking.

Log onto COD:Black Ops 2 and hit the OS menu button on PS3/360 during an MP match and let me know if everything just grinds to a halt.

When you close the OS pane do you notice the game having to sit there for a second and 'reload' all of its graphical assets or effects? No. Because it's still all there and running.

Similarly, this is why CPU cores\time are reserved for OS functions. PS3 keeps one SPE on standby for the OS (and I think some PPE time?) and the 360 reserves some time across its cores for the OS.

Not because the OS necessarily always needs the entire percentage reserved, but it's there and ready to be made use of when mandated without affecting the game.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Log onto COD:Black Ops 2 and hit the OS menu button on PS3/360 during an MP match and let me know if everything just grinds to a halt.
    I cant do any of that stuff I do not own a working console.

I always thought the slowness was due to the low amount of RAM in the PS3, it always felt "laggy" and slow when I pressed the PS button to pause or change a setting.
    I had low RAM issue on a PC 10 years ago, minimising a game took a few seconds and even longer to maximise that is until I doubled the RAM in that computer.
    Last edited by keefy; 07-06-2013 at 02:48.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Lol man, I don't know why I bother.
    You were actually just lying just a while ago. You don't actually know how the OS and GPU work together. I do however. But as always, I get the blatant disrespect for actually having an understanding of what I talk about. Later.

PSU Technical Advisor
    You were actually just lying just a while ago. You don't actually know how the OS and GPU work together. I do however. But as always, I get the blatant disrespect for actually having an understanding of what I talk about. Later.
    That's because you have no understanding of what you talk about lol. I mean that with all due respect, but I just get frustrated talking to you.

Seriously, ask Mynd. Who is an Indie game developer and professional.

I could be wrong about this, but I really don't think that I am.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 07-06-2013 at 03:31.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Didn't the ps3 start out without an in-game xmb? Which explains why it's so slooow to bring it up While gaming.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    That's because you have no understanding of what you talk about lol. I mean that with all due respect, but I just get frustrated talking to you.

Seriously, ask Mynd. Who is an Indie game developer and professional.

I could be wrong about this, but I really don't think that I am.
    So no disrespect from you, you and YoungMullah88 just intended to insult me. That's cool I guess.

But whatever. It will not screw anything up if you don't set aside a portion of the GPU for the OS. The only result will be a very slight drop in frame rate. This is common knowledge. Also, if the Xbox Guide is up on the screen, you are obviously no longer controlling the game but instead controlling the Xbox Guide, thus the frame rate of the game is no longer important and the game no longer demands real-time attention from the GPU until the Guide is then closed. If it's too frustrating to just have any small, civil debates or discussion with me, then by all means, you don't have to respond to anything I say.
    Last edited by Foraeli; 07-06-2013 at 06:10.

PSU Technical Advisor
    So no disrespect from you, you and YoungMullah88 just intended to insult me. That's cool I guess.

But whatever. It will not screw anything up if you don't set aside a portion of the GPU for the OS. The only result will be a very slight drop in frame rate. This is common knowledge. Also, if the Xbox Guide is up on the screen, you are obviously no longer controlling the game but instead controlling the Xbox Guide, thus the frame rate of the game is no longer important and the game no longer demands real-time attention from the GPU until the Guide is then closed. If it's too frustrating to just have any small, civil debates or discussion with me, then by all means, you don't have to respond to anything I say.
    "This is common knowledge"

Yes, you will likely have a drop in framerate but the console makers are concerned with a seamless, intuitive, experience all around for their users. So in order to ensure they have that, and to provide in-game services, they always set aside some CPU cycles, memory and GPU time for the system OS.

I'm not denying that, in most cases, the resource impact would be largely minimal. But it would still be juttering and jarring and developers would not be able to 'assume' that X resources are truly available for them 24/7 to use.

Console OS's reserve some memory, CPU and GPU.

Yes, I am saying you do not know what you're talking about. I am sorry that you find this to be offensive, but I stand by the statement. I would hazard to guess a large portion of the members here educated in these matters would tend to agree.

That being said, I'm not a game developer or involved in the industry. Just an outside enthusiast who likes his tech.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 07-06-2013 at 06:24.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Yes, YoungMullah88 and I are calling you a troll. I am sorry that you find this to be offensive, but I stand by the statement.
    This is what offends. As a result of your "frustration."

PSU Technical Advisor
    This is what offends. As a result of your "frustration."
    Lol yea? Except for the part where I never said that.

You made that post 23 min ago, my last edit to the post was an hour ago. So now, you're putting words in my mouth.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Except the game and the OS are running at the same time. Many games have logic in place to try and pause it when you hit the PS HOME or Xbox Guide button but if you're in an MP session the game keeps on ticking.

Pretty sure this is entirely a memory problem and has nothing to do with GPU resources on the PS3.

You can effectively eliminate what you're referring to by having the in game OS menu filling up most or all of the screen, which the 360 dashboard already does. Then there's a lot less to render on the fly even in games that do not pause. With so much memory for games it is really a non-issue. Yes a fraction of GPU power will be reserved for the OS but it will be very small, less than 10%. The Xbone is however rumoured to be using GPU resources with Kinect, so I really do not know about that, who can say right now?

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Pretty sure this is entirely a memory problem and has nothing to do with GPU resources on the PS3.

You can effectively eliminate what you're referring to by having the in game OS menu filling up most or all of the screen, which the 360 dashboard already does. Then there's a lot less to render on the fly even in games that do not pause. With so much memory for games it is really a non-issue. Yes a fraction of GPU power will be reserved for the OS but it will be very small, less than 10%. The Xbone is however rumoured to be using GPU resources with Kinect, so I really do not know about that, who can say right now?

What I'm saying is, and you can research this or go to B3D, the Xbox 360 and apparently PS3 reserve GPU time for the OS.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Xbone fans will stay in denial until those 2nd and 3rd wave titles hit

Thread Information