Latest PSU headlines:

Supreme Veteran

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Milking is just a Cow Issue and not a gaming Issue ( Really! )

Now we have even more of the same series's coming this year and beyond, lets face it that the same series is the same series... What else can we expect from the off chance " I will buy your game and assume it is new "

I will play until i believe it is no use to me and i will wait until the next installment, wait this new installment has a new hat or gun or it has god ability

This will sell millions of copies and it does... What is wrong with fresh IP'S instead of the same Status quo

Of the same games make the same fools aka us the gamer

2. Likes Foraeli wishes they had posted this first.
    Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Milking works because despite all the whining, they will buy the game and support the business model anyways. Everyone cries for sequels for their favorite games, and those same people will cry "milking" in the same breath. I never understood this. Maybe Microsoft should have let Killer Instinct die because of the fits and rages on the internet? Or maybe Assassin's Creed should do a radical overhaul like FFXIII did? Nah..

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    Milking works because despite all the whining, they will buy the game and support the business model anyways. Everyone cries for sequels for their favorite games, and those same people will cry "milking" in the same breath. I never understood this. Maybe Microsoft should have let Killer Instinct die because of the fits and rages on the internet? Or maybe Assassin's Creed should do a radical overhaul like FFXIII did? Nah..
    I Think pacing between sequels is fine. Coming out with a new installment every year is milking to me. I believe a series still stays fresh of they make decent changes to it as well. But making practically the same game with a new story regardless of how big the gap is no good. There is a fine line to milking a series. Sadly most of the time that line is crossed. I.E, Assassin's Creed, COD, just about every sports franchises, etc.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    I Think pacing between sequels is fine. Coming out with a new installment every year is milking to me. I believe a series still stays fresh of they make decent changes to it as well. But making practically the same game with a new story regardless of how big the gap is no good. There is a fine line to milking a series. Sadly most of the time that line is crossed. I.E, Assassin's Creed, COD, just about every sports franchises, etc.
    I think yearly releases are okay as long as every other game gets some great additions. I think AC3 and AC4 made things pretty fresh. But you have to consider that the annual cash cows are what allow publishers to take some risks with new IPs. They still have to pay the rent, and it wouldn't be smart to rely on hit-and-miss success of new IPs to keep afloat.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    I think yearly releases are okay as long as every other game gets some great additions. I think AC3 and AC4 made things pretty fresh. But you have to consider that the annual cash cows are what allow publishers to take some risks with new IPs. They still have to pay the rent, and it wouldn't be smart to rely on hit-and-miss success of new IPs to keep afloat.
    Yeah I agree with much of what you said. Some of them do takes some risk but not all do. Ubisoft at least does shell out some fresh stuff. EA and Activision really don't. Especially Activision. I guess a bit of it comes down to you really don't want to lose the core gameplay. Then it loses its identity. Like AC, they made some solid changes for 3 but the overall game just felt the same to me.

Supreme Veteran

it's just the brand... Just like Apple and the Iphone, that is just an expensive update that is all. Nothing new

8. Likes Morganator wishes they had posted this first.
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    After number 4 of a franchise, the franchise is being milked. It doesn't matter if new characters or new gameplay elements are introduced, the name is being pumped. If a developer introduces new characters and overhauls the gameplay, why not rename it and call it a new IP?

Series like Final Fantasy are an exception to milking, but sequels to certain Final Fantasy games are really milking the game. A big of example of that is Final Fantasy VII.

We need new IPs with each generation of consoles. We also need one game and it's done titles like The Last of Us and Heavy Rain. There isn't a need for sequels for every single game.

No matter how fun the new God of War games are, Santa Monica is really just milking it. The story ended with God of War 3.

That's my 2 cents on sequels and milking a franchise.

Currently Playing: Pokemon X

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    IT is only the minority that get disheartened by the milking, but that minority grows each and every year.
    When the publishers realise those disheartened are becoming the majority is when they will finally stop.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

11. Likes PS4freak wishes they had posted this first.
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    IT is only the minority that get disheartened by the milking, but that minority grows each and every year.
    When the publishers realise those disheartened are becoming the majority is when they will finally stop.
    Well said.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    Now we have even more of the same series's coming this year and beyond, lets face it that the same series is the same series... What else can we expect from the off chance " I will buy your game and assume it is new "

I will play until i believe it is no use to me and i will wait until the next installment, wait this new installment has a new hat or gun or it has god ability

This will sell millions of copies and it does... What is wrong with fresh IP'S instead of the same Status quo

Of the same games make the same fools aka us the gamer

I agree with freak, a chronological spaced release of titles is ok. however I think that's riding a fine line of milking. series's such as cod are the worst at this and the really bad part about that is that other titles are following suit. assassins creed and god of war come to mind. consequentially, at the end of the day it's the gamers that loose on the fact that innovation is postponed to a guaranteed sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

14. Likes claud3 wishes they had posted this first.
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    keefy said it best. I generally just skip the buy on games that have releases about every year, or I even wait awhile on those that go every two years. It sucks because developers don't get a chance to really branch out and try new game series, instead make the same AAA game to survive because how expensive it is to make games these days. For example, I'm pretty burnt out on Uncharted, but The Last of Us is unbelievably awesome. So glad they had the resources to make it instead of solely focusing on the Uncharted series.

16. Likes claud3 wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Sage

it's just the brand... Just like Apple and the Iphone, that is just an expensive update that is all. Nothing new
    In the case of Apple, it's dumb'd down. You're paying to have an increasingly dumb'd down product and service.

Supreme Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    In the case of Apple, it's dumb'd down. You're paying to have an increasingly dumb'd down product and service.
    Just like all then

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    yo quit raggin apple I'm on an iPhone here. lol I'm switching to Samsung when my contracts up. can't stand apple anymore.

Supreme Veteran

This is what is the problem... Same old same old

They have really took the saying

" If it ain't broke, don't fix it "

To

" It's broke, so don't fiddle with it "
    Last edited by claud3; 07-09-2013 at 00:59.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    This is what is the problem... Same old same old

The have really took the saying " If it ain't broke, don't fix it " To " It's broke, so don't fiddle with it "
    claud ur like. modern day yoda. but yes I do agree Withthe sayings

Supreme Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by forrma View Post
    claud ur like. modern day yoda. but yes I do agree Withthe sayings

LMAO thanks friend... But it is just amazing how they have a one way thinking traffic jam going on and no one is given way for new thoughts and New Ip's

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    LMAO thanks friend... But it is just amazing how they have a one way thinking traffic jam going on and no one is given way for new thoughts and New Ip's
    well I guess it may seem like that to some people, but I'm sure to the devs that do it it's all about money. so I think we'll continue to lose the battle unless ppl stop buying it

Supreme Veteran

Battle is with the gamer and the buck stops with us... I unlikely see anyone that is intent on getting the latest title, will see it from are prospective

Thread Information