Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Rengarious
    Items User name style

DualShock 4 Controller - In-Depth Preview

Hello guys and girls

I am happy to present you with a new in-depth article written by me that talks about my experience with the DualShock 4 and Xbox One Controllers from E3 2013. It's a lengthy article, with details and changes both of the companies provide.

Please have a peek - http://gamingbolt.com/dualshock-4-vs...ttons-and-more

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Thanks, I'll read the review in a minute. I have another question. Did you happend to get some good close-up pic's of the controllers. In particular the EXT port on the back of the PS4 Controller next to the 3.5mm jack. I'd like to get some better shots at it. Right I think from a video I saw a total of 8 edge contacts - 4 top 4 bottom. If this is so, I'm really thinking this has to support a surround sound audio headset w/ voice chat. I can't think of another reason for it.

EDIT: Ok, read it. Pretty good review, thanks for a users perspective on it.

One comment in there - I personally didn’t know you can actually press down on the touch-pad and have things happen in the game until I’ve tried it. - had me a bit confused. Basically, I take it you're saying you didn't actually get to use it on anything, but I thought the Tech Demo used it. Where you saying you didn't see a practical value for it?

I can think of two great ways to integrate it. 1.) Map - One big ass button to pull up the map instead of searching for the tiny buttons (options) 2.) Tool wheel or something like that in which you have more items that could be picked out than simple swiping might give you - Swipping to change between a few weapons is great - get a Ratchet and Clank 20 something it doesn't work. Click the button then rotate the wheel w/ touch pad.

Those are just a couple quick ideas that are practical that I see Devs potentially using.
    Last edited by TAZ427; 07-07-2013 at 00:03.

PSN ID
    breakend28
    I can't wait to hold the Dualshock 4 in my hands!! I saw that tech demo you mention in the article it looked awesome! Of course first party devs will take advantage of this new tech but will third party devs...we'll just have to wait and see.
    Last edited by PSgamer28; 07-06-2013 at 23:53.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage360 View Post
    Hello guys and girls

I am happy to present you with a new in-depth article written by me that talks about my experience with the DualShock 4 and Xbox One Controllers from E3 2013. It's a lengthy article, with details and changes both of the companies provide.

Please have a peek - http://gamingbolt.com/dualshock-4-vs...ttons-and-more
    Thanks a lot for the article and comparison. Both controllers look incredible. I must say though Sony has by far made some innovations and changes that completely outdoes Microsoft's. All things being considered, Microsoft didn't really have to make that many changes as their controller was already miles ahead of the DS3. However, the ideas Sony incorporated into the DS4 are just plain awesome, the touch pad being my favorite. I do like the shape and design of the DS4, although I'll have to wait to get one in my hands to truly love it. I know, im friggin excited over a piece of handheld plastic lol. Yet again, thanks for the review bro.

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by forrma View Post
    Thanks a lot for the article and comparison. Both controllers look incredible. I must say though Sony has by far made some innovations and changes that completely outdoes Microsoft's. All things being considered, Microsoft didn't really have to make that many changes as their controller was already miles ahead of the DS3. However, the ideas Sony incorporated into the DS4 are just plain awesome, the touch pad being my favorite. I do like the shape and design of the DS4, although I'll have to wait to get one in my hands to truly love it. I know, im friggin excited over a piece of handheld plastic lol. Yet again, thanks for the review bro.
    Thats an opinion.

Personally i would give these scores to the current gen controllers
    PS3 controller - 7/10
    360 controller - 4/10

Only thing amazing about the 360 controller is the frame. Everything else is somewhere between awful and ok.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    Thats an opinion.

PS3 controller - 7/10
    360 controller - 4/10

Only thing amazing about the 360 controller is the frame. Everything else is somewhere between awful and ok.
    A lot of people will disagree though.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by forrma View Post
    I know, im friggin excited over a piece of handheld plastic lol.
    Don't feel bad. Women across the globe feel the same exact way.

Thats an opinion.

PS3 controller - 7/10
    360 controller - 4/10

I like the way the 360 controller sits/feels in my hand better then the DS3 honestly. I've been saying for years that I like the overall design of the DS, but it is in dire need for a more ergonomic redesign and I think the DS4 might just be right up my ally.

*The joystick positioning, honestly Im comfortable with it either way. Just NOT Nintendo's way like on the Wii U... WTF Nintendo? Its like they go out ta their way to be dif JUST to be dif.
    *I like the feel of the DS3s face buttons better
    *R1 and L1 feel better then the L/R bumpers. 360s triggers are superior.
    *DS3s d-pad destroys the 360s.
    *I like the having a headset port built into the controller (as did Sony it seems). I like Bluetooth, but you need a wired back up imo and it plugging right into the controller was an awesome idea on MS's part. Nice call borrowing that idea and incorporating BT Sony.
    *Also the option of removable non-rechargeable and/or rechargeable batteries I like. Just swap em out. No need to ever plug in a charge cable when playing.
    Last edited by faaeng; 07-07-2013 at 12:38.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    I approve of the new shape. If I game too long on PS3 my hand goes numb.

The DS4 is all the good features of the 360 controller minus the MS crud.
    Last edited by mickice; 07-07-2013 at 12:43.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Thats an opinion.

PS3 controller - 7/10
    360 controller - 4/10

I kinda figured it was implied that a post to a topic in a forum was an opinion most of the time. but yes it is MY opinion. although I'm pretty sure other gamers with large hands will agree with me but that's still THEIR opinion. :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    One thing concerns me though. Player 1 will always be blue and player 2 red.
    So instead of just quickly looking at the numbers like you do on DS3 and 360 controller, you now have to remember or have it written down somewhere.
    Its going get even more confusing when you have more people.
    For people like us its no big deal but for average joe and younger people its going cause a headache.

Also, I wonder just how many controllers is PS4 going to support? Is it going to be 7 just like PS3?
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

Playstation Move for the win!

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator 101 View Post
    So instead of just quickly looking at the numbers like you do on DS3 and 360 controller, you now have to remember or have it written down somewhere.
    For people like us its no big deal but for average joe and younger people its going cause a headache.

Also, I wonder just how many controllers is PS4 going to support? Is it going to be 7 just like PS3?
    that's a good question about how many the 4 will support I'm curious about tht myself. seems to me they'd support just as many as the 3 but that's just my opinion. on the controller identification statement, I don't think it's that serious. once ppl get use to it it won't be a problem. I see 8 year old kids playin cod nowadays so I think they can remember te color of a bar. just my 2 cents

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Games will probably have some sort of color indication on screen to help with identification as well. I know they did this on a some of the multi-player Move games. Plus, those people who don't play often will more than likely be playing with at least one player who's familiar w/ the colors. I don't think it will be a big issue identifying based on color.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    PhillyPhreak
    It was the Bluetooth technology (version 2.0) that supported seven simultaneous devices. I imagine with the inclusion of Bluetooth 2.1 in the PS4, it should equal or exceed that number.

"PS1994"- #4ThePlayers

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Well you'll no longer be player 1 or player 2. You'll be player blue and player red. It won't really be confusing at all, just different.

In that rare situation when you have more than 4 people and a game actually supports more than 4 people, I'm not sure. the lightbars probably just show other colours then, yellow, orange etc.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Well you'll no longer be player 1 or player 2. You'll be player blue and player red. It won't really be confusing at all, just different.

In that rare situation when you have more than 4 people and a game actually supports more than 4 people, I'm not sure. the lightbars probably just show other colours then, yellow, orange etc.
    uh, yellow pink fushia terqouise(?), magenta?

Flaw3d Genius
    Even if the DS4 is not as good as the One controller...as long as it feels good as the 360 controller i'l be happy.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    Even if the DS4 is not as good as the One controller...as long as it feels good as the 360 controller i'l be happy.
    It's an improvement from the DS3. If only they would adjust those analogs it would be much better IMO.

Master Guru
    The DS4 is looking great. No doubt about it.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post

Interesting. So are you saying that all split screen games on PS4, when on split screen will specifically ask for the red controller light to indicate player two, and so on?

I still think its gong to get confusing.
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

Playstation Move for the win!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    I think it looks good. Nothing wrong with it getting a little bit bigger. But I never had any problems with the previous DS controllers. I prefer the DS controller to any other controller. I really don't like that the xbox controller is asymmetrical, it makes no sense and feels wrong to Me. But that's just My personal opinion.

Superior Member

Interesting. So are you saying that all split screen games on PS4, when on split screen will specifically ask for the red controller light to indicate player two, and so on?

I still think its gong to get confusing.
    The way it was explained before was that player 1 controller is always blue, and player two is always red (players 3 and 4 having their own colors too). If you were holding the blue controller and changed your controller to player two using the system menu, the light would change to red.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    For goodness sake I hope nobody thinks to start labelling the console an Xbrick,
    oops
    -Regarding the Xbone A.K.A. the Xbrick

"Faith - that's another word for ignorance isn't it?" -House

Superior Member
    i enjoyed the hands on time i had with it at sony's e3 booth. simply the most amazing controller i've ever felt
    sooo comfortable to hold. the biggest upgrades over the ds3 is are new springier triggers, the touchpad is gonna add a new level of immersion, the share button, as well as the rubberized grips. such a godsend this controller is

DS4= Epitome of what a game console controller should be

Veteran
    I'm still skeptical on the touchpad myself.

Had it been a touchscreen? Ok, Nice. I would've loved a touchscreen keyboard on the controller rather then an on screen keyboard (left left x right right right down x oops [] right x etc kinda sucks...) Maybe send/receive messages, friend invites, manage ur clan right on the controller. Change system settings. Use it to control your music if ur playing music off your HDD, etc...

But a touchpad? Uh... Web browser cursor? Ugh.. Stupid quick time events get replaced with stupid swipe gestures? Uh... o_O?
    Last edited by faaeng; 07-08-2013 at 17:04.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    I'm still skeptical on the touchpad myself.

Had it been a touchscreen? Ok, Nice. I would've loved a touchscreen keyboard on the controller rather then an on screen keyboard (left left x right right right down x oops [] right x etc kinda sucks...) Maybe send/receive messages, friend invites, manage ur clan right on the controller. Change system settings. Use it to control your music if ur playing music off your HDD, etc...

But a touchpad? Uh... Web browser cursor? Ugh.. Stupid quick time events get replaced with stupid swipe gestures? Uh... o_O?
    If the touchpad can bring RTS/Sim games to PS4 then it will be the best controller ever.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    If the touchpad can bring RTS/Sim games to PS4 then it will be the best controller ever.
    I dunno. I can't even play RTS/Sim games using my laptops trackpad. Still need to use a trackball/mouse. Lol
    Last edited by faaeng; 07-09-2013 at 05:32.

Thread Information