Latest PSU headlines:

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101

Question Do you think we will finally get more button layout customization on PS4/XOne?

Almost every PC game allows you to completely map the button layout to your liking.

I could probably count on one hand the number of console games that allow you to do that.
    Killzone1, Orange Box, Unreal Tournament 3, Resitance 1.
    I am sure there's more that I could count on the other hand and that's it.

Now, button layouts for the most part have been decent, but customization would definitely add more flexibility.

I know that generally the consoles are about as customizable as iPhones. But now that the consoles are going to be more like PC's, I am hoping that will apply to more customizable button layouts.

Note that I am highly adaptable to any control options and can easily switch between button layouts/controllers.

I still would like to know how Killzone 1, a PS2 game, and an exclusive had more button customization options than almost every PS3 exclusive game asides from Resistance 1.
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

Playstation Move for the win!

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Doesn't bother me.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Peaceful Warrior
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    That's entirely up to the developers to do that.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    Yeah its up to the developers to put in controls that they think are the best, and if you don't like those, adapt or buy another game.

That kind of logic can be applied to anything.

I am hoping that now that the consoles are going to be more like PCs this might change.
    Last edited by Terminator 101; 07-07-2013 at 18:24.
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

5. Likes $Greatness$ wishes they had posted this first.
    Peaceful Warrior
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style

Do you think we will finally get more button layout customization on PS4/XOne?

It's not "logic" that can be applied to anything... it's the only determining factor for the button layout and customization. If the developers want the gamer to be able to map out any button they wish... they can do that. This could've been done with any console from the last several generations... it's just not common practice. I don't think the PS4/XBO being more like PCs is going to change any of that, but yes... it would be a nice option for those that want it.
    Last edited by Brandon; 07-07-2013 at 20:26.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator 101 View Post
    Almost every PC game allows you to completely map the button layout to your liking.

I could probably count on one hand the number of console games that allow you to do that.
    Killzone1, Orange Box, Unreal Tournament 3, Resitance 1.
    I am sure there's more that I could count on the other hand and that's it.

Now, button layouts for the most part have been decent, but customization would definitely add more flexibility.

I know that generally the consoles are about as customizable as iPhones. But now that the consoles are going to be more like PC's, I am hoping that will apply to more customizable button layouts.

Note that I am highly adaptable to any control options and can easily switch between button layouts/controllers.

I still would like to know how Killzone 1, a PS2 game, and an exclusive had more button customization options than almost every PS3 exclusive game asides from Resistance 1.
    This actually has nothing whatsoever to do with consoles being more like PC's, it has to do with whether the game developers want to provide that flexibility to you.

On the PC, this started years ago, where they're were API's that where created to intercept the Keyboard inputs and remap them. You'd launch the API prior to the game and the game still saw it as the same keyboard inputs but it was whatever you re-mapped them to. That's where the flexibility of the PC initially allowed this to happen.

The consequence was this messed up some of the games, and the PC game developers gave in and allowed you to re-map within their titles so they had some level of control. (i.e. we went away from a third party API doing the remapping to the game devs doing it.)

That said, the consoles w/o an OS that we can program on, basically prevents us users from putting in a remapping API.

And thus as stated by multiple posters, it's going to be 100% up to the developers to allow this. Some do, some don't. I know I've personally gone back and forth on the inversion/non-inversion of the X and Y axis as some games have had it forced one way or another. And for me it takes about 5hrs+ of solid game play to get my mind back to always using the controllers in that flipped manner.

Anyway, the points been made, it has nothing to do with the architecture and everything to do with the Devs.

8. Likes Terminator 101 wishes they had posted this first.
    Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    It's a developer thing. New console doesn't change anything really. I wish every game had fully customisable controls but so many devs seem to be either too arrogant to allow that or it is so far down their priorities list that it never gets done.

It would be great if Sony built a system level config tool into the OS so if you encounter a game will particularly **** controls you can change them. But won't hold my breath

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Rare games typically allowed full customisation or at the very least a hge number of layouts, hell on Goldeneye and Perfect Dark you can use 2 controllers and work it like a dualshock, or use the yellow C buttons for movement and the stick solely for aiming with. The latter is how I played.

I hope more and more developers do allow full customisation I cant stand having only 3 selections to choose from non3e of which 100% suit my needs.
    Last edited by keefy; 07-07-2013 at 20:43.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    This actually has nothing whatsoever to do with consoles being more like PC's, it has to do with whether the game developers want to provide that flexibility to you.

On the PC, this started years ago, where they're were API's that where created to intercept the Keyboard inputs and remap them. You'd launch the API prior to the game and the game still saw it as the same keyboard inputs but it was whatever you re-mapped them to. That's where the flexibility of the PC initially allowed this to happen.

The consequence was this messed up some of the games, and the PC game developers gave in and allowed you to re-map within their titles so they had some level of control. (i.e. we went away from a third party API doing the remapping to the game devs doing it.)

That said, the consoles w/o an OS that we can program on, basically prevents us users from putting in a remapping API.

And thus as stated by multiple posters, it's going to be 100% up to the developers to allow this. Some do, some don't. I know I've personally gone back and forth on the inversion/non-inversion of the X and Y axis as some games have had it forced one way or another. And for me it takes about 5hrs+ of solid game play to get my mind back to always using the controllers in that flipped manner.

Anyway, the points been made, it has nothing to do with the architecture and everything to do with the Devs.
    Thank you for your insight.

Now I know that the question I should have asked: Do you think Sony will make an API that will make it easier for the developers to allow us more button customization, instead of each developer using their own API?

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    ok it's unanimous that button layout/customization is a developer deal and has nothing to do with Sony. however, why exactly do devs prefer a certain layout or a certain number of layouts instead of making it fully customizable to the gamer? Wouldn't that be a bit of a drawing card to allow the gamer to be in control? I mean they did buy the damn game ya know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator 101 View Post
    Thank you for your insight.

Now I know that the question I should have asked: Do you think Sony will make an API that will make it easier for the developers to allow us more button customization, instead of each developer using their own API?
    Sony would only be making an API to map the inputs for the game devs to use as they please.

That said, for the game devs to make an API that allowed for remapping of the inputs, it's a trivial task that could be accomplished by a junior programmer in maybe a day's worth of work (or less.)

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Autohotkey is one such program

http://www.autohotkey.com/
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Thread Information