Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    MS has different versions of the Durango dev kits for developers. So it wouldn't be hard to choose which one to go with. On Aug 27 we will find out a lot when the hardware is finalised.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I can see a GPU speed increase providing MS finds it doesn't negatively impact yields. I just really don't see them adding another 4GB though..

Forum Elder
    cant imagine for a moment that this late in the day they would entertain hardware changes.
    MS will never forget the RRoD and i'm sure will be testing Xbox ONE to extremes. a change in hardware now would seriously effect the testing and/or year end release.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Well this has been well planned out...

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

5. Likes Itachi likes this post
    Superior Member
    its like 4 months till release? I don't see how its feasible to make any hardware changes at this point. I mean, its not like the ram in the console is able to be plugged like ram sticks on a PC motherboard. The Ram is built into the mainboard of these things. Shouldn't they be working on manufacturing of the parts right now to make enough for release???
    "Bigfoot is blurry, that is the problem...it is not the photographers fault...Bigfoot is blurry and that is extra scary to me because there is an extra large out-of-focus creature roaming the countryside....Run he's fuzzy, get out of here" ~ Mitch Hedburg, RIP you crazy fool

7. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by WretchedSoul21 View Post
    its like 4 months till release? I don't see how its feasible to make any hardware changes at this point. I mean, its not like the ram in the console is able to be plugged like ram sticks on a PC motherboard. The Ram is built into the mainboard of these things. Shouldn't they be working on manufacturing of the parts right now to make enough for release???

'yeah it is surface mounted, but remember, the 360 went through a mem change prior to release, close to the same time frame this console is facing.

Adding an extra path on the PCB for a chunk of RAM is costly, but would pay for itself no problem.

Technically, if they make the call now, they have about a month time frame to get a new PCB to the manufacturer, an 3 months to manufacture, another month to ship out the product. Fast, but not impossible. Of course, they run into the chance for sloppy build, or improper QC and we know how that worked out last time.
    LMAO

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    honestly I think they will make the changes. as CuGuy stated it would be tight and they'd have to work fast, but it is possible. I think Microsoft will make the changes to reverse some of the negative vibes that's been going toward them and also to entice more gamers away from the ps4. if Microsoft can say that they're upping the x1, there will be people who go for it. it's a risk though, for them to be able to do that and not delay at all, everything would have Togo perfect

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Superior Member
    This seems pretty risky then if true. I just hope this doesn't bite them in the ass with hardware failures yet again. If changes this late in the game are made and rushed out to make the deadline, I'm going to decided to wait until later to purchase my unit when they are deemed stable.
    "Bigfoot is blurry, that is the problem...it is not the photographers fault...Bigfoot is blurry and that is extra scary to me because there is an extra large out-of-focus creature roaming the countryside....Run he's fuzzy, get out of here" ~ Mitch Hedburg, RIP you crazy fool

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by WretchedSoul21 View Post
    This seems pretty risky then if true. I just hope this doesn't bite them in the ass with hardware failures yet again. If changes this late in the game are made and rushed out to make the deadline, I'm going to decided to wait until later to purchase my unit when they are deemed stable.
    yes this could bring back RrOD but they quite possibly could've allotted for changes that would increase heat when they made the initial designs

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkoStylo View Post
    Would adding 4GB this late delay Microsoft or can this be done no problem?

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Its not a problem, with 64 bit address space you aren't at all limited.
    Its a few more tracks on a PCB.
    Tracks and solder points that are probably already there so they can modify the systems to dev kits.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by forrma View Post
    I thought the OS was taking 2gb?
    Is 3GB which covers 3 OS's, so likely 1GB each.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...ion-chart.aspx

14. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Its not a problem, with 64 bit address space you aren't at all limited.
    Its a few more tracks on a PCB.
    Tracks and solder points that are probably already there so they can modify the systems to dev kits.
    It's still a rather extreme solution to the problem of a massively bloated OS. They'd rather throw in memory and eat into their own margins then simply trim the fat..

As for OS reservations:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=2965
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 07-10-2013 at 00:48.

Superior Member
    What a joke this company is. I thought they said specs don't matter!? If they do this what's going to happen to trouble shooting and testing before mass manufacturing and releasing to the public? 4 months for all this!? IF microsoft decides to do this buy at your own risk folks. Sounds like another RRoD scenario. It amazes me how some folks will shell out $500 on a product from a company that doesn't have a clear vision. I hope this is nothing more than a silly rumor for you xbox fans.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by AMG44 View Post
    What a joke this company is. I thought they said specs don't matter!? If they do this what's going to happen to trouble shooting and testing before mass manufacturing and releasing to the public? 4 months for all this!? IF microsoft decides to do this buy at your own risk folks. Sounds like another RRoD scenario. It amazes me how some folks will shell out $500 on a product from a company that doesn't have a clear vision. I hope this is nothing more than a silly rumor for you xbox fans.
    dude I'm not even gonna lie I forgot about Penellos classic statement of "specs don't matter" lol. I hate to bash a company but this IS getting to be a joke. I recognize Microsoft is trying to get bak in the fight but damn, they keep shooting themselves in the foot, and the toes, and the shin, and whatever else.

18. Likes x_terna likes this post
    Superior Member
    If they add the 4gigs it will be a good thing for xbox owners. I thought 8gigs of Ram for either console was already very high, 12gigs just seems ridiculous.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by forrma View Post
    dude I'm not even gonna lie I forgot about Penellos classic statement of "specs don't matter" lol. I hate to bash a company but this IS getting to be a joke. I recognize Microsoft is trying to get bak in the fight but damn, they keep shooting themselves in the foot, and the toes, and the shin, and whatever else.
    "DRM... and Sony isn't changing our minds." -removes DRM- "Specs don't matter." -considers increasing specs-

I think they're just realizing that what consumers want does in fact play a role in the sales of their products. I hope this humbling experience will influence their future business decisions.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

21. Likes Itachi likes this post
    Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    Wasn't the last round of rumors suggesting the clock speed on the GPU was being reduced because they where having heat issues? Now there's a rumor that it will be upped. Gotta love rumors.

But considering the fact MS can't seem to stick to their vision to save their asses I wouldn't be to surprised to see it. The rate they are going it'll be a week or two, maybe a month tops before they decide to pull the mandatory Kinect and sell a $399 model without one.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    "DRM... and Sony isn't changing our minds." -removes DRM- "Specs don't matter." -considers increasing specs-

I think they're just realizing that what consumers want does in fact play a role in the sales of their products. I hope this humbling experience will influence their future business decisions.
    I know lol. I really do hope they adjust their approach after their HUMBLING lessons from Sony because in the end, it's the gamer that benefits from competition btw Sony and Microsoft. period.

Super Elite
    the more changes they keep doing, the more I lean towards them. This does show that they are willing to change everything to please us gamers.

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    Perhaps it was something being discussed/considered at some point but I doubt it is from anything recently.

The only way this would even be considered this close to launch is if the 3GB reserved for the OS is either too little for what they want to do or is causing major problems for game development. There is no way they wouldn't had been known this prior to the reveal and if this was the case they would had already increased the RAM or change to OS.

If it was solely to counter the PS4 and/or to increase sales, dropping the price to $399 would be far more effective than increase to the RAM.

I also doubt increasing the RAM to 12GB would be as easy as some are claiming, not without a board redesign(resulting in a delay). They would have to go from sixteen 4Gbit (512MB) DDR3 chips to twenty-four 4Gbit (512MB) DDR3 chips to achieve 12GB at this point.
    PSN ID:Key2001 3DS FC:1521-2714-7908 Steam ID:jkey2001

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Wouldn't they need to redesign the motherboard the unit to accommodate that? It's definitely possible they could do this but I'm not sure on how easy it is to upgrade this. It's not like a PC motherboard that has multiple slots for ram.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Wouldn't they need to redesign the motherboard the unit to accommodate that? It's definitely possible they could do this but I'm not sure on how easy it is to upgrade this. It's not like a PC motherboard that has multiple slots for ram.
    yea I think Sufi eluded to the fact that it's not like a pc so they would have to redesign the ram. but other people are talking like it'd be easy so idk. I think the post above us is right, if they were trying to combat the ps4, just drop the price. why go through all this?

Superior Member

Unless the board was already designed to have up to 12GB of RAM, but I couldn't imagine that they would just have the extra room on a console motherboard unless they were thinking about doing this from early on and were just covering for the possibility.

Then there's the fact that 9GB of ram takes a while to fill from just a 7200 rpm hard drive, guessing it "could" fill quicker if they also draw data from the BR drive and faster hard drive.

As for increasing the GPU speed, maybe they've solved heating issues and/or fabrication issues? Or maybe it's all just rumor to boost hype?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    For goodness sake I hope nobody thinks to start labelling the console an Xbrick,
    oops
    -Regarding the Xbone A.K.A. the Xbrick

"Faith - that's another word for ignorance isn't it?" -House

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by AMG44 View Post
    What a joke this company is. I thought they said specs don't matter!?
    No that's not what they (he) said. Its what people perpetuate. Because they are stupid, and a headline looks better than reading what was actually said.
    If they do this what's going to happen to trouble shooting and testing before mass manufacturing and releasing to the public? 4 months for all this!?
    Not sure about the clocking speed making any difference, and the ram again is very simple to do.

Heat would be the biggest concern, but then the Wired article already told us they have tested well past it thermal specs.

IF Microsoft decides to do this buy at your own risk folks. Sounds like another RRoD scenario. It amazes me how some folks will shell out $500 on a product from a company that doesn't have a clear vision. I hope this is nothing more than a silly rumor for you xbox fans.
    Funny how people can remember a out of context comment. But not remember the more important aspects....
    Black tubes protrude from the workstations, pumping hot and cold water into the lab for stress testing (and the occasional multimillion-dollar water fight, we imagine). CPU sockets sit unused, next to racks of circuit boards running the SoC through the virtual gauntlet.
    A tray full of the much-celebrated SoCs sits unceremoniously next to an electrical signal analyzer. "Definitely no photos of that one!" Williams half-jokes as he hands us a dead SoC to examine. This room and its many stations is the first of several we tour, and it's a good place to start, given what it symbolizes. The depth of hardware verification taking place in Mountain View is unprecedented for the software company, and offers further evidence of its internal silicon investment.
    I think I'd trust them. Hand tuned, custom built, stress tested to the max.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901

Microsoft asking developers about an increased GPU clock and 12 gb RAM

@mynd
    yes Penello did say that too. he also said that If ur not lead software engineer ( and another one I can't remember) then you're not smart enough to be debating this kind of stuff anyways. the words tech specs don't matter literally came out of his mouth

Thread Information