Latest PSU headlines:

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 ... LastLast
    Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Adding extra ram is trivial, defining a speed at which they want to run this thing at might mean they may need to change the thermal cooling solution only.
    I know what your getting at, however, and it certainly seems that way from a PR point of view.
    But don't confuse the inept PR/Leadership with the tech boys.

These guys know there stuff.
    oh $#@! dude no doubt I'm not talking bad about the tech guys, they have to know their stuff or ms wouldn't hire them. I was meaning like, as a whole, they're not sure what to do. I'm sure whatever they do decide the tech guys will handle it like it wasnt nothing. u mentioned that ms is playing their hand close, ok I might be able to entertain that statement. but if it's true, when do u think they'll reveal their best cards?

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by forrma View Post
    oh $#@! dude no doubt I'm not talking bad about the tech guys, they have to know their stuff or ms wouldn't hire them. I was meaning like, as a whole, they're not sure what to do. I'm sure whatever they do decide the tech guys will handle it like it wasnt nothing. u mentioned that ms is playing their hand close, ok I might be able to entertain that statement. but if it's true, when do u think they'll reveal their best cards?
    When they know what the are doing LOL.
    Yes, I know head office is a bit vague.
    But I actually think they haven't nailed it down yet. I don't think the silicon is anywhere near finalized.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901

Microsoft asking developers about an increased GPU clock and 12 gb RAM

When they know what the are doing LOL.
    Yes, I know head office is a bit vague.
    But I actually think they haven't nailed it down yet. I don't think the silicon is anywhere near finalized.
    well it's getting kinda down to the wire aint it? cause they have to commit, let the tech boys know, stockpile for the changed parts, test
    production line, then go into full production. a LITTLE close wouldn't u say?

Power Member
    Items User name style
    well it's getting kinda down to the wire aint it? cause they have to commit, let the tech boys know, stockpile for the changed parts, test
    production line, then go into full production. a LITTLE close wouldn't u say?
    Oh its "finished' in terms of the actual chip, I think they are likely trying to find the optimal performance for it in terms of speed. And then there is the software optimization which , as MS has pointed out, will be going on after launched still.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Oh its "finished' in terms of the actual chip, I think they are likely trying to find the optimal performance for it in terms of speed. And then there is the software optimization which , as MS has pointed out, will be going on after launched still.
    oh ok so the hardware is done they're just considering tweaking things that wouldn't consist of redesigning anything. got it. considering testing it in terms of speed they would also need to be testing in terms of the possibility of added heat to avoid Rrod?

Elite Guru

This is the T3 core in simple word from Doug PDF

"2.1 Composing Cores
    One key characteristic that distinguishes E2 from other
    processors is the ability to dynamically adapt the architecture for a given workload by composing and decomposing cores. Rather than fixing the size and number of cores at design time, one or more physical cores can be merged together at runtime to form larger, more powerful logical cores. For example, serial portions of a workload can be handled by composing every physical core into one large logical processor that performs like an aggressive superscalar. Or, when ample thread-level parallelism is available, the same large logical processor can be split so each physical processor can work independently and execute instruction blocks from independent threads. Merging cores together is called composing cores, while splitting cores is called decomposing cores."
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

Power Member
    Items User name style
    oh ok so the hardware is done they're just considering tweaking things that wouldn't consist of redesigning anything. got it. considering testing it in terms of speed they would also need to be testing in terms of the possibility of added heat to avoid Rrod?
    Yes, probably why they were err..spacious with their box, I mean design of the Xbox one.
    Oh lets face it it's a box, not a design.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Yes, probably why they were err..spacious with their box, I mean design of the Xbox one.
    lol, yea it's a box. but hey if it gets it done who gives a $#@! what it looks like

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SmoknJokr
    Do we not have any industrial engineers here? The amount of work to set up one line takes MONTHS. To implement a change of this magnitude this late in the game would require a 2 month delay at LEAST. We aren't talking about replacing 1 diode with another. The whole motherboard would have to be redesigned. You just can't slap chips on a board and run a few lines to them. These boards are probably multi layer which would make it take more time. Then after you change the mobo your mounting hardware probably won't work any more. That would require a new case more than likely. New dies have to be made. QC has to go over the final build and put it thru it paces. After which more changes are likely.. All of this takes MONTHS to implement. The build is in its final stages right now. No major changes will happen before launch...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Thanks to Spyrde for the sig/avy

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    They're both boxes - one is just on an angle.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Elite Guru

"Microsoft-proprietary processor architecture
    Provides “best in class” performance/energy ratios through data graph execution
    Target of better energy efficiency than simple ARM cores
    Target of better single-thread performance than flagship Intel cores
    Out-of-order performance with in-order-like energy efficiency
    Provide unprecedented dynamic range of power-performance through core composition
    Initial target as an ARM or x86 accelerator (offload engine), but is fully general purpose, supported by Visual Studio toolchain
    ISA and microarchitecture are the product of over 10 years of research, development, and prototyping"
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    But how many devs out there would use all of that 12GB of RAM huh not that many

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi Uk View Post
    But how many devs out there would use all of that 12GB of RAM huh not that many

no dev out there will likely use 5GB of mem.. the thing is, if MS does this, it frees them up from having possibly only 5GB of mem to a potential of 9GB.
    LMAO

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Joker View Post
    Do we not have any industrial engineers here? The amount of work to set up one line takes MONTHS. To implement a change of this magnitude this late in the game would require a 2 month delay at LEAST. We aren't talking about replacing 1 diode with another. The whole motherboard would have to be redesigned. You just can't slap chips on a board and run a few lines to them. These boards are probably multi layer which would make it take more time. Then after you change the mobo your mounting hardware probably won't work any more. That would require a new case more than likely. New dies have to be made. QC has to go over the final build and put it thru it paces. After which more changes are likely.. All of this takes MONTHS to implement. The build is in its final stages right now. No major changes will happen before launch...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

They doubled the 360's mem in shorter time than this. It can be done, if their is enough money behind it.
    LMAO

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    What do you mean by that and why would MS add the extra RAM if it was useless? It made a difference with xbox360 didn't it?
    I am no expert on this but from what I read, it seems like ms is doing it just to get some advantage on paper. I really would like to share the video link with you, but it is in Turkish.
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    I am no expert on this but from what I read, it seems like ms is doing it just to get some advantage on paper. I really would like to share the video link with you, but it is in Turkish.
    i think their only real reason to do it is because they want the extra headroom if they are really stuck with the OS's using 3GB RAM
    LMAO

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    What do you mean by that and why would MS add the extra RAM if it was useless? It made a difference with xbox360 didn't it?
    I was wondering that same thing.

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    They doubled the 360's mem in shorter time than this. It can be done, if their is enough money behind it.
    The Xbox 360 memory was doubled nearly 2 years (GDC 2004) before the 360 launched.

Two years ago, Mark thinks it was during the Game Developers Conference, he got this call from Microsoft Games Studios' Chief Financial Officer who told him, "I just wanted you to know that you cost me a billion dollars."
    http://www.qj.net/xbox-360/interview...512mb-ram.html
    PSN ID:Key2001 3DS FC:1521-2714-7908 Steam ID:jkey2001

19. Likes snooper71 likes this post
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryunosuke View Post
    The Xbox 360 memory was doubled nearly 2 years (GDC 2004) before the 360 launched.

http://www.qj.net/xbox-360/interview...512mb-ram.html
    Lol....nice find. +rep
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    But I thought it was 2 days before launch?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Ancient
    12gb and upclocking won't make it more powerful then the PS4, this is just a rumour by someone who thinks its that simple.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4 Beta

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Examiner debunked their own rumor. It was already too late to change the RAM before the E3 reveal.

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk 2

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    shadowrth
    They cant implement this now. it is way to late in the finalization process to simply 180 this one on a snap of finger.You smell that? It smells like a planned year 2 revision and the console isn't even out yet.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    Examiner debunked their own rumor. It was already too late to change the RAM before the E3 reveal. Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk 2
    So much for that rumor. Sounded pretty far fetched anyway.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryunosuke View Post
    The Xbox 360 memory was doubled nearly 2 years (GDC 2004) before the 360 launched. http://www.qj.net/xbox-360/interview...512mb-ram.html
    Nice. +rep

Thread Information