Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    So much for that rumor. Sounded pretty far fetched anyway.
    Whats the most ram hungry game right now? Does it even take 5gb.

All 12gb would have done is "future proof" thr console. They best work on reducing the OS footprint whatever amount it ACTUALLY uses right now

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk 2

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    Whats the most ram hungry game right now? Does it even take 5gb. All 12gb would have done is "future proof" thr console. They best work on reducing the OS footprint whatever amount it ACTUALLY uses right now Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk 2
    Yep I agree. Heck even the 8GB is a boatload of RAM. Like you said MS just needs to shrink that bloated OS footprint.

PSU Technical Advisor

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Someone mentionned there was no actual bump in cpu clock speed, that there was confusion between that "bump" and actual gain from RAM optimization.

I think someone at examiner read the tech talk all wrong and ran with it for hits.

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk 2

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    1 thing mentioned in an article that makes the 12GB ram seem less likely taken from HERE is:

"The Xbox One’s APU is comprised of (amongst other things) a memory controller, AMD Jaguar CPU, and 12 GCN units based on the Radeon 7xxx structure. The main point however, is that it’s dual channel – NOT tri channel. This means that the possible configurations are either 4, 8, or 16GB of DDR3. 16GB I could understand – but let’s be honest, it’s more than likely not going to happen – it’d effectively double RAM costs in the machine. Tri-channel memory configurations would require huge redesign of the internals."

So, make what you will of it, but the ram upgrade seemed unlikely to me from the moment I saw the rumor. The clock bump may be possible, but it'd have to be a significant increase to be worthwhile. That would almost definitely cause yield and heat issues though, so they are stuck in a tight spot no matter what with these rumored last minute upgrades.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    It's so crazy how momentum can change from generation to generation. I never ever imagined that MS would $#@! the next xbox up so badly. Between all the switches it's flipping, the catastrophic hit taken to PR/trust/brand, these rumors of tech tweaks...MS was caught with its pants down and now looks really desperate as it stumbles around in Sony's wake. It's a sorry sight and I hope that the restructuring at MS can return some direction to a game console that has pretty much lost all confidence and conviction in its vision.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    It's so crazy how momentum can change from generation to generation. I never ever imagined that MS would $#@! the next xbox up so badly. Between all the switches it's flipping, the catastrophic hit taken to PR/trust/brand, these rumors of tech tweaks...MS was caught with its pants down and now looks really desperate as it stumbles around in Sony's wake. It's a sorry sight and I hope that the restructuring at MS can return some direction to a game console that has pretty much lost all confidence and conviction in its vision.
    Well written summary of events. +rep Sony is more focused than ever and MS has completely lost their way.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style

Microsoft asking developers about an increased GPU clock and 12 gb RAM

Nothing to do with Xbox, but it reminds me of all the 180ing going on with Microsoft:

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/11/...d-ad-campaign/

Maybe they'll do the same with the XBO if it isn't selling well.

Sheesh.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XtraTrstrL View Post
    1 thing mentioned in an article that makes the 12GB ram seem less likely taken from HERE is:

"The Xbox One’s APU is comprised of (amongst other things) a memory controller, AMD Jaguar CPU, and 12 GCN units based on the Radeon 7xxx structure. The main point however, is that it’s dual channel – NOT tri channel. This means that the possible configurations are either 4, 8, or 16GB of DDR3. 16GB I could understand – but let’s be honest, it’s more than likely not going to happen – it’d effectively double RAM costs in the machine. Tri-channel memory configurations would require huge redesign of the internals."
    This is a point I've been mulling over as well and wasn't sure of it would apply. The 4 8 and 16 ratio is how it works in PCs because of how DIMMS are made and the way we can upgrade. But in a console, would they be able to just add the additional RAM chips to the board and have 2 banks of 6GB?

Veteran
    You won't find a single 6GB stick/bank nor a single 12GB

Just like memory card sizes, they double as the size increases.

4 MB, 8 MB, 16 MB, 32 MB, 64 MB, 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB and 8GB ATM. Next will be 16GB, 32GB, 64GB etc
    Last edited by faaeng; 07-12-2013 at 10:37.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    You won't find a single 6GM stick/bank nor a single 12GB

Their is/was 4 MB, 8 MB, 16 MB, 32 MB, 64 MB, 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB and 8GB ATM.
    Yes I am aware of that :P. Consoles don't have memory installed in the same way as PC's, the chips are actually attached to the main board it self rather than on cards that plug into the main board. Am I right in thinking that to maintain a symmetrical dual channel mem controller, there just needs to be the same amount of RAM chips per channel?

Veteran
    I don't think they can just decide, let's solder 4 more GBs of ram in if it wasn't already designed to accept it tho. They'd have to totally redesign the mobo I would think. Typically these things are pretty tightly jam packed as is. I could be wrong. I'm sure they know more about it then I do. Hell, maybe they had another mobo design already capable of accepting 12GB?
    Last edited by faaeng; 07-12-2013 at 11:19.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    I don't think they can just decide, let's solder 4 more GBs of ram in if it wasn't already designed to accept it tho. They'd have to totally redesign the mobo I would think. Typically these things are pretty tightly jam packed as is. I could be wrong. I'm sure they know more about it then I do. Hell, maybe they had another mobo design already capable of accepting 12GB?
    that doesn't even make sense why have another mb designed if it would already work and still met heat/cooling specs?

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Ultimate Veteran
    this will never happen if they put more ram in it then this will push back the launch date

Administrator
    You won't find a single 6GB stick/bank nor a single 12GB

Just like memory card sizes, they double as the size increases.

4 MB, 8 MB, 16 MB, 32 MB, 64 MB, 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB and 8GB ATM. Next will be 16GB, 32GB, 64GB etc
    We already have 16 GB sticks, but yes... that is the general pattern.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Forum Sage
    Yep I agree. Heck even the 8GB is a boatload of RAM. Like you said MS just needs to shrink that bloated OS footprint.
    What makes you think it's bloated?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    What makes you think it's bloated?
    It takes up 3GB of RAM. PS4 OS only 1GB. Sounds bloated to me.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 07-13-2013 at 04:42.

Forum Sage
    It takes up 3GB of available RAM.
    For 3 OS's. What makes you think that it is possible to achieve that level of capability and performance and use less ram? AFAIKT their OD's are as efficient as can be. Not you can say that they should have gone with a more limited OS like on the PS4 to have more free ram, but I don't see any evidence that suggest their current implementation is less efficient than is currently feasible/possible.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    For 3 OS's. What makes you think that it is possible to achieve that level of capability and performance and use less ram? AFAIKT their OD's are as efficient as can be. Not you can say that they should have gone with a more limited OS like on the PS4 to have more free ram, but I don't see any evidence that suggest their current implementation is less efficient than is currently feasible/possible.
    Yep 3GB of RAM being taken up that could be used for games just so it can run 3 OS in order to be a Kinect mandatory multimedia machine. Thats alot of RAM being filled with OS. Just more evidence that MS has lost their focus.

Administrator
    Their focus was for the XBO to be an all-in-one multimedia hub. Their design implementation shows that and it's been discussed to death. It was never meant to compete head on with PS4 graphically. It's offering a host of other features for XBO owners, but it'll still do quite well on the graphics front.

Forum Sage
    Yep 3GB of RAM being taken up that could be used for games just so it can run 3 OS in order to be a Kinect mandatory multimedia machine. Thats alot of RAM being filled with OS. Just more evidence that MS has lost their focus.
    original xbox didn't sell. So they had to try a different approach, which turned out to be profitable/successful.

The X1 is simply a continuation of what the 360 is doing/did.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    They can do what they want, its custom memory controller.
    The added 32mb of edram into it for example.

In saying that, 12 GB seems an odd number. But as I said earlier, it's likely dev kits will ship with 12gb anyway.
    Last edited by mynd; 07-13-2013 at 05:03.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    They can do what they want, its custom memory controller.
    The added 32mb of edram into it for example.

In saying that, 12 GB seems an odd number. But as I said earlier, it's likely dev kits will ship with 12gb anyway.
    Why would they likely ship with more RAM than the console itself? Seems counterproductive to me.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    They doubled the 360's mem in shorter time than this. It can be done, if their is enough money behind it.
    I would laugh, but it's not ROFL, it's RROD, hahahhahahahha
    RROD, RROD, RROD....

Red Ring Of Death!

So, you want them to upgrade their ram this late again?

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Why would they likely ship with more RAM than the console itself? Seems counterproductive to me.
    Debugging and other tasks take up more memory.

Thread Information