Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 ... LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 227
  1. #126
    Veteran
    snooper71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Posts
    4,396
    Rep Power
    90
    Points
    15,806 (0 Banked)
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    So much for that rumor. Sounded pretty far fetched anyway.
    Whats the most ram hungry game right now? Does it even take 5gb.

    All 12gb would have done is "future proof" thr console. They best work on reducing the OS footprint whatever amount it ACTUALLY uses right now

    Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk 2


    Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

  2. #127
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    165
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    Whats the most ram hungry game right now? Does it even take 5gb. All 12gb would have done is "future proof" thr console. They best work on reducing the OS footprint whatever amount it ACTUALLY uses right now Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk 2
    Yep I agree. Heck even the 8GB is a boatload of RAM. Like you said MS just needs to shrink that bloated OS footprint.

  3. #128
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Vulgotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    23
    Posts
    15,953
    Rep Power
    143
    Points
    106,591 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!


  4. #129
    Veteran
    snooper71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Posts
    4,396
    Rep Power
    90
    Points
    15,806 (0 Banked)
    Items Naughty Dog
    Someone mentionned there was no actual bump in cpu clock speed, that there was confusion between that "bump" and actual gain from RAM optimization.

    I think someone at examiner read the tech talk all wrong and ran with it for hits.


    Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk 2


    Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

  5. #130
    Apprentice
    XtraTrstrL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Posts
    339
    Rep Power
    15
    Points
    4,813 (0 Banked)
    1 thing mentioned in an article that makes the 12GB ram seem less likely taken from HERE is:

    "The Xbox One’s APU is comprised of (amongst other things) a memory controller, AMD Jaguar CPU, and 12 GCN units based on the Radeon 7xxx structure. The main point however, is that it’s dual channel – NOT tri channel. This means that the possible configurations are either 4, 8, or 16GB of DDR3. 16GB I could understand – but let’s be honest, it’s more than likely not going to happen – it’d effectively double RAM costs in the machine. Tri-channel memory configurations would require huge redesign of the internals."

    So, make what you will of it, but the ram upgrade seemed unlikely to me from the moment I saw the rumor. The clock bump may be possible, but it'd have to be a significant increase to be worthwhile. That would almost definitely cause yield and heat issues though, so they are stuck in a tight spot no matter what with these rumored last minute upgrades.

  6. #131
    Administrator
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Posts
    12,776
    Rep Power
    131
    Points
    6,481,447 (100,956 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    It's so crazy how momentum can change from generation to generation. I never ever imagined that MS would $#@! the next xbox up so badly. Between all the switches it's flipping, the catastrophic hit taken to PR/trust/brand, these rumors of tech tweaks...MS was caught with its pants down and now looks really desperate as it stumbles around in Sony's wake. It's a sorry sight and I hope that the restructuring at MS can return some direction to a game console that has pretty much lost all confidence and conviction in its vision.

  7. #132
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    165
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    It's so crazy how momentum can change from generation to generation. I never ever imagined that MS would $#@! the next xbox up so badly. Between all the switches it's flipping, the catastrophic hit taken to PR/trust/brand, these rumors of tech tweaks...MS was caught with its pants down and now looks really desperate as it stumbles around in Sony's wake. It's a sorry sight and I hope that the restructuring at MS can return some direction to a game console that has pretty much lost all confidence and conviction in its vision.
    Well written summary of events. +rep Sony is more focused than ever and MS has completely lost their way.

  8. #133
    Administrator
    Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,234
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    119,669 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

    Microsoft asking developers about an increased GPU clock and 12 gb RAM

    Nothing to do with Xbox, but it reminds me of all the 180ing going on with Microsoft:

    http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/11/...d-ad-campaign/

    Maybe they'll do the same with the XBO if it isn't selling well.

    Sheesh.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

  9. #134
    Dedicated Member
    Sajuuk Khar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,388
    Rep Power
    72
    Points
    8,631 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by XtraTrstrL View Post
    1 thing mentioned in an article that makes the 12GB ram seem less likely taken from HERE is:

    "The Xbox One’s APU is comprised of (amongst other things) a memory controller, AMD Jaguar CPU, and 12 GCN units based on the Radeon 7xxx structure. The main point however, is that it’s dual channel – NOT tri channel. This means that the possible configurations are either 4, 8, or 16GB of DDR3. 16GB I could understand – but let’s be honest, it’s more than likely not going to happen – it’d effectively double RAM costs in the machine. Tri-channel memory configurations would require huge redesign of the internals."
    .
    This is a point I've been mulling over as well and wasn't sure of it would apply. The 4 8 and 16 ratio is how it works in PCs because of how DIMMS are made and the way we can upgrade. But in a console, would they be able to just add the additional RAM chips to the board and have 2 banks of 6GB?

  10. #135
    Veteran
    faaeng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    .....pss..behind you
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,212
    Rep Power
    73
    Points
    13,284 (0 Banked)
    You won't find a single 6GB stick/bank nor a single 12GB

    Just like memory card sizes, they double as the size increases.

    4 MB, 8 MB, 16 MB, 32 MB, 64 MB, 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB and 8GB ATM. Next will be 16GB, 32GB, 64GB etc
    Last edited by faaeng; 07-12-2013 at 10:37.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------


  11. #136
    Dedicated Member
    Sajuuk Khar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,388
    Rep Power
    72
    Points
    8,631 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    You won't find a single 6GM stick/bank nor a single 12GB

    Their is/was 4 MB, 8 MB, 16 MB, 32 MB, 64 MB, 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB and 8GB ATM.
    Yes I am aware of that :P. Consoles don't have memory installed in the same way as PC's, the chips are actually attached to the main board it self rather than on cards that plug into the main board. Am I right in thinking that to maintain a symmetrical dual channel mem controller, there just needs to be the same amount of RAM chips per channel?

  12. #137
    Veteran
    faaeng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    .....pss..behind you
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,212
    Rep Power
    73
    Points
    13,284 (0 Banked)
    I don't think they can just decide, let's solder 4 more GBs of ram in if it wasn't already designed to accept it tho. They'd have to totally redesign the mobo I would think. Typically these things are pretty tightly jam packed as is. I could be wrong. I'm sure they know more about it then I do. Hell, maybe they had another mobo design already capable of accepting 12GB?
    Last edited by faaeng; 07-12-2013 at 11:19.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------


  13. #138
    Forum Guru
    KnotGamer901's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NC
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Age
    23
    Posts
    3,669
    Rep Power
    59
    Points
    30,525 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    I don't think they can just decide, let's solder 4 more GBs of ram in if it wasn't already designed to accept it tho. They'd have to totally redesign the mobo I would think. Typically these things are pretty tightly jam packed as is. I could be wrong. I'm sure they know more about it then I do. Hell, maybe they had another mobo design already capable of accepting 12GB?
    that doesn't even make sense why have another mb designed if it would already work and still met heat/cooling specs?



    Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

  14. #139
    Ultimate Veteran
    coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    long island ny
    Age
    38
    Posts
    20,885
    Rep Power
    111
    Points
    28,694 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    this will never happen if they put more ram in it then this will push back the launch date

  15. #140
    Administrator
    Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,234
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    119,669 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    You won't find a single 6GB stick/bank nor a single 12GB

    Just like memory card sizes, they double as the size increases.

    4 MB, 8 MB, 16 MB, 32 MB, 64 MB, 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB and 8GB ATM. Next will be 16GB, 32GB, 64GB etc
    We already have 16 GB sticks, but yes... that is the general pattern.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

  16. #141
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    7,981
    Rep Power
    112
    Points
    42,781 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Yep I agree. Heck even the 8GB is a boatload of RAM. Like you said MS just needs to shrink that bloated OS footprint.
    What makes you think it's bloated?

  17. #142
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    165
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    What makes you think it's bloated?
    It takes up 3GB of RAM. PS4 OS only 1GB. Sounds bloated to me.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 07-13-2013 at 04:42.

  18. #143
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    7,981
    Rep Power
    112
    Points
    42,781 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    It takes up 3GB of available RAM.
    For 3 OS's. What makes you think that it is possible to achieve that level of capability and performance and use less ram? AFAIKT their OD's are as efficient as can be. Not you can say that they should have gone with a more limited OS like on the PS4 to have more free ram, but I don't see any evidence that suggest their current implementation is less efficient than is currently feasible/possible.

  19. #144
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    165
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    For 3 OS's. What makes you think that it is possible to achieve that level of capability and performance and use less ram? AFAIKT their OD's are as efficient as can be. Not you can say that they should have gone with a more limited OS like on the PS4 to have more free ram, but I don't see any evidence that suggest their current implementation is less efficient than is currently feasible/possible.
    Yep 3GB of RAM being taken up that could be used for games just so it can run 3 OS in order to be a Kinect mandatory multimedia machine. Thats alot of RAM being filled with OS. Just more evidence that MS has lost their focus.

  20. #145
    Administrator
    Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,234
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    119,669 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    For 3 OS's. What makes you think that it is possible to achieve that level of capability and performance and use less ram? AFAIKT their OD's are as efficient as can be. Not you can say that they should have gone with a more limited OS like on the PS4 to have more free ram, but I don't see any evidence that suggest their current implementation is less efficient than is currently feasible/possible.
    Their focus was for the XBO to be an all-in-one multimedia hub. Their design implementation shows that and it's been discussed to death. It was never meant to compete head on with PS4 graphically. It's offering a host of other features for XBO owners, but it'll still do quite well on the graphics front.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

  21. #146
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    7,981
    Rep Power
    112
    Points
    42,781 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Yep 3GB of RAM being taken up that could be used for games just so it can run 3 OS in order to be a Kinect mandatory multimedia machine. Thats alot of RAM being filled with OS. Just more evidence that MS has lost their focus.
    original xbox didn't sell. So they had to try a different approach, which turned out to be profitable/successful.

    The X1 is simply a continuation of what the 360 is doing/did.

  22. #147
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,421
    Rep Power
    161
    Points
    156,915 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    I don't think they can just decide, let's solder 4 more GBs of ram in if it wasn't already designed to accept it tho. They'd have to totally redesign the mobo I would think. Typically these things are pretty tightly jam packed as is. I could be wrong. I'm sure they know more about it then I do. Hell, maybe they had another mobo design already capable of accepting 12GB?
    They can do what they want, its custom memory controller.
    The added 32mb of edram into it for example.

    In saying that, 12 GB seems an odd number. But as I said earlier, it's likely dev kits will ship with 12gb anyway.
    Last edited by mynd; 07-13-2013 at 05:03.

  23. #148
    Administrator
    Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,234
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    119,669 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    They can do what they want, its custom memory controller.
    The added 32mb of edram into it for example.

    In saying that, 12 GB seems an odd number. But as I said earlier, it's likely dev kits will ship with 12gb anyway.
    Why would they likely ship with more RAM than the console itself? Seems counterproductive to me.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

  24. #149
    Dedicated Member
    John Willaford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Owings Mills, MD
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,071
    Rep Power
    18
    Points
    408,039 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    They doubled the 360's mem in shorter time than this. It can be done, if their is enough money behind it.
    I would laugh, but it's not ROFL, it's RROD, hahahhahahahha
    RROD, RROD, RROD....

    Red Ring Of Death!

    So, you want them to upgrade their ram this late again?

  25. #150
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    7,981
    Rep Power
    112
    Points
    42,781 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Why would they likely ship with more RAM than the console itself? Seems counterproductive to me.
    Debugging and other tasks take up more memory.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.