Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 9 1 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple

Microsoft asking developers about an increased GPU clock and 12 gb RAM

https://xboxuncut.squarespace.com/mi...-12-gb-of-ram/
    With he xbox one console being finalised next month it is a good thing they are getting lots of input from developers

As rumors are continually made about a change in the final specs on the Xbox One we have now heard rumors from a member on the website Beyond3D that Microsoft is actually asking developers about an increased GPU upclock and a increase in total DDR3 RAM to 12GB.
    Plus, I did say it was a rumour so neither the upclock or RAM increase are confirmed.
    And it’s not just that the veracity of the rumour isn’t confirmed, but that the rumour itself does not claim MS are definitely increasing the clocks or RAM.

Apparently, the story apparently is that MS has gone to devs for feedback on a few different things, two of them being an increased GPU clock and an increase to 12 GB of RAM (another thing on the list was storage for ‘tombstoning’ - I’m guessing flash cache)

Devs have to list which spec changes they prefer in order of importance. So nothing is confirmed as of yet, just options MS is getting feedback on.

However, I do have someone else telling me (also from a dev source) that we shouldn’t be surprised to see 12GB of RAM in the final box and that it isn’t as hard for MS to do as we think.
    — (((interference)))

This is not the only rumblings that the final hardware specs are still up in the air for the Xbox One apparently Engadget was able to get a inside look at Xbox One development a few days before the Xbox reveal which is around the same time beta devkits were sent out. In the picture above you'll notice many variations of hardware design leading to the idea that these might also contain different variations on internals that are still being tested even days before the reveal.
    The chamber is full of hundreds of variations of prototype Xbox hardware — today, it’s set to very cold — and is vital in determining how the Xbox One stands up to extreme thermal conditions. With laughs all around, he’s freed from the icy, zebra-filled prison. Surprising no one, the various beta kits of the console itself, the controller and the new Kinect all sport zebra-pattern tape to hide their shape (as rumored).
    — Engadget.com
    It is all still speculation but the fact that we are getting information from good sources that the final specs of this device are still up in the air is a good sign that we still know little about what will ultimatley end up being inside our Xbox One's at launch.

As of right now current Xbox One devkits are running with 12 GB of RAM and the reason for the idea behind a upclock is that the Xbox One is running cooler or using less power than was planned and they can now allow for a stable upclock. This is only speculation on why this rumor could end up being true and backing up what the insider sources have said, as a reminder the Xbox 360 originally was being built with 256 MB of RAM but late in the development Microsoft decided to use the 512 MB of RAM from devkits.

Sources:
    http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1763732&postcount=4689
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/building-xbox-one-an-inside-look/
    Last edited by The Sith; 07-09-2013 at 16:03.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    With he xbox one console being finalised next month it is a good thing they are getting lots of input from developers

Engadget.com
    And with that increased clock speed and ram comes a 6-700$ pricetag. XD
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    Better selling at a loss with more powerful hardware than selling hardly any at all a la Wii U style. But less extreme xD

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    Not if they ditch Kinect. If they are making changes this late in the game (which I don't believe) then anything is possible.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901

Microsoft asking developers about an increased GPU clock and 12 gb RAM

Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post

Engadget.com
    that's good I think Microsoft should take some suggestions by the devs. and geez, easier for Microsoft todo than we think? of course it is it's friggin Microsoft they can do whatever they want at whatever production stage they want. regardless, Xbox is clawing back. good to see, put some fire under Sony

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Better selling at a loss with more powerful hardware than selling hardly any at all a la Wii U style. But less extreme xD
    Ahh the Wii U...
    *shakes head*
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Isn't the OS taking up like 3GB of the One's RAM already? An increase to 12 would make sense in that case.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    Isn't the OS taking up like 3GB of the One's RAM already? An increase to 12 would make sense in that case.
    I thought the OS was taking 2gb?

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by forrma View Post
    Is 3GB which covers 3 OS's, so likely 1GB each.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...ion-chart.aspx

Flaw3d Genius
    I think MS would benefit hugely delaying the XO till next fall. Get the machine bang on and release after the PS4. Head to head is not a good idea right now.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    I think MS would benefit hugely delaying the XO till next fall. Get the machine bang on and release after the PS4. Head to head is not a good idea right now.
    Their whole system is shot, 12GB RAM won't do anything much for them. MS usually solves these things with MARKETING.
    Anything could happen but it sounds like FANBOISM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    I don't think they'd be able to recover from a year's delay. PS3 got back in the race because of steady stellar game releases, and imo, Xbox doesn't offer that. Not saying they couldn't, but they have a track record of making an early push and then playing it safe the rest of the generation.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    I don't think they'd be able to recover from a year's delay. PS3 got back in the race because of steady stellar game releases, and imo, Xbox doesn't offer that. Not saying they couldn't, but they have a track record of making an early push and then playing it safe the rest of the generation.

no, this time around, both need to release neck and neck.. you are right.
    LMAO

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    almost everyone here looks like accept sony as a winner. Oh and for ms , isn't it a little bit late to talk with developers now? a few months before release? really? Nope, not happening.
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Forum Guru
    Developers must be having tough time coping with the changes as Xbone seems to be a moving target.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by forrma View Post
    Microsoft hasn't stated how much RAM their OS's are using. It's speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    almost everyone here looks like accept sony as a winner. Oh and for ms , isn't it a little bit late to talk with developers now? a few months before release? really? Nope, not happening.
    It's never too late. It is best to talk to developers early, now, and later. Always keep open communication with developers. It's a win win for MS, the developers and the consumers.

Apprentice

Changes this late in the game?...After the reveal, and E3?

If these rumors are true then Sony would more than likely counter, if not immediately then address it after what will be no doubt a successful launch for them, and put more focus on features, keep their focus on games. I would guess MS would raise the price of the Xbone even higher with some of these rumored changes.They would almost have to, making the ps4 even more enticing to customers that don't want a spy camera watching and listening to them. MS stated a release date for Nov. That's about 4 and a half months away. They would definately have to delay the release date if they did some of these changes. What's the catch though? It seems lately with MS there always seems to be one. I don't see them releasing the Xbone for the same price if they upped the GPU, again IF any of the rumors are true. And They could be trying some sort of multi console release type thing in the future. They could have two models, one having more gpu sort of like they did with the xbox arcade and the xbox elite. But Sony could/Can just do the same thing too as it's more user friendly for devs. This is sort of strange. They must be in more trouble over there than people think.

Forum Elder
    No way. People have ordered, production has started. SDKs have been out. Its way to late in the game.

Sony survived the ps3 launch (they shouldn't have) when they needed a do over.

Plus that's all they need now, give sony a year headstart and they're $#@!ed.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by chrisw26308; 07-09-2013 at 17:00.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    No way. People have ordered, production has started. SDKs have been out. Its way to late in the game.

Sony survived the ps3 launch (they shouldn't have) when they needed a do over.

Plus that's all they need now, give sony a year headstart and they're $#@!ed.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

It isn't too late. One of my past jobs, we designed and manufactured a product to be sold. The day it arrived in the warehouse, we went out and retrofitted all of the stock to modify the unit.

MS hasn't SHIPPED any of these. Upping to 12GB ram, easy. Upping clock? Easy for them.

I think though the problem will be, they have committed to the 499.00 launch price. Any updates they do to the hardware, will have to be at a loss. It would be suicide for them to come back and say "oh, hey we wanted more powah, so you give us more money"

As for the OS and memory discussion... from the last reports, non fanboy based, the OS will use just under 1GB of RAM for all three of the mini OS's running in the XB1.. leaving 7GB free for games. Now, the fanboy articles say 3GB or 2GB... so I guess we will just have to see when they hit.
    LMAO

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    It isn't too late. One of my past jobs, we designed and manufactured a product to be sold. The day it arrived in the warehouse, we went out and retrofitted all of the stock to modify the unit.

MS hasn't SHIPPED any of these. Upping to 12GB ram, easy. Upping clock? Easy for them.

I think though the problem will be, they have committed to the 499.00 launch price. Any updates they do to the hardware, will have to be at a loss. It would be suicide for them to come back and say "oh, hey we wanted more powah, so you give us more money"

As for the OS and memory discussion... from the last reports, non fanboy based, the OS will use just under 1GB of RAM for all three of the mini OS's running in the XB1.. leaving 7GB free for games. Now, the fanboy articles say 3GB or 2GB... so I guess we will just have to see when they hit.
    on what basis are those fanboys articles lol. because they don't align with your views?

Apprentice
    Would adding 4GB this late delay Microsoft or can this be done no problem?

Sent from my Nexus 4

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkoStylo View Post
    Would adding 4GB this late delay Microsoft or can this be done no problem?

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Its not a problem, with 64 bit address space you aren't at all limited.
    Its a few more tracks on a PCB.
    Tracks and solder points that are probably already there so they can modify the systems to dev kits.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Its not a problem, with 64 bit address space you aren't at all limited.
    Its a few more tracks on a PCB.
    Tracks and solder points that are probably already there so they can modify the systems to dev kits.
    It's still a rather extreme solution to the problem of a massively bloated OS. They'd rather throw in memory and eat into their own margins then simply trim the fat..

As for OS reservations:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=2965
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 07-10-2013 at 00:48.

Veteran
    I really can't see any of this being true. 4-5 months before release, and the hardware isn't finalized yet? I don't believe it.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    I really can't see any of this being true. 4-5 months before release, and the hardware isn't finalized yet? I don't believe it.

The two things they are suggesting to change, if true, doesn't affect the hardware design though. These would be extremely beneficial changes requiring very little modification, if any, to the printed circuits or design.

I doubt their authenticity as well, but I am just saying, they might be willing to take a hit on the amount of consoles available at release to retrofit and change any current units produced.
    LMAO

Thread Information