Lightbulb Mark Cerny: PS4, a renaissance 4 indies / a resurrection of PSOnes variety

Didn't see threads about any of these. If I missed them, my apologies Anyways, a Borderlands-esque loot drop below, lol.

Highlights of Cerny speaking to Developers about PS4 Vision (and his gigantic Dual Shock 4 lol):

Another post-conference highlight, in written form @ Eurogamer

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...y-of-psone-era

Some highlights:

"Concept-driven titles like PaRappa the Rapper, Devil Dice and Intelligent Cube were well received by the game playing audience and each went on to sell over a million units." This diversity was lost on PlayStation 2, Cerny explained, because development teams had to get bigger to realise the power of the console. And the problem only accelerated with the arrival of PlayStation 3. Now, after breaking down a number of barriers to indie development on PlayStation, Sony has made steps to help the sector thrive."

"With the release of PlayStation 4, we understand we have an opportunity to fundamentally alter the landscape of gaming ... On the business side, we've had a bit of an epiphany ...

"Since Adam Boyes joined SCE, pretty much the whole process has been overturned. He wanted us to look at the day in the life of an indie developer, and challenged us to explain whether our processes were helping or hindering the creation of the diverse titles we were looking for.

"We ended up radically simplifying concept approval. We fully support self-publishing across all platforms, so it's now possible for developers to maintain complete creative and financial control. We now pretty much support any business model, whether it be buy-to-play, free-to-play, episodic or micro-transactions. And we're doing what we can to support indie development financially as well, whether that be through loaner dev kits or our incubation program or direct support from the Pub Fund.

"We also understand that accessibility is paramount. So we've gone from putting our process out front to putting people out front, which is to say your indie journey on PS4 as a developer begins by tweeting Shahid Ahmad, not by filling out a form."

I think a Great example of this at-work is JRPG: Soul Saga.

soul saga desktop edit.jpg

I also think the shift in ideas this gen is pretty interesting. Even Square Enix came out in the past day or two about refusing to release any online-enabled Final Fantasy games (A Realm Reborn, for example) on XBox 360 / XBox One because Microsoft refuses to allow cross-platform play. Something that was also stated by the makers of DUST 514, if I'm not mistaken. This idea of connectivity is also interesting, on it's own.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    Quote Originally Posted by the_first View Post
    First!
    First? first what?

First to admit you are gay?

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

3. Likes darky89 likes this post
    Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mankind View Post
    First? first what?

First to admit you are gay?
    Lol

Yeah was a very gay post

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by manutdfan View Post
    Lol

Yeah was a very gay post
    It was almost as gay as...

Almost...

OT: Cerny is such an amazing package. It was like like the gaming gods guided him through his varied and awesome career to bring him to this point. Everything he says is just spot on and he is clearly a bloody genius. PlayStation is going to thrive with him helping to guide the course.

The three musketeers are awesome too, the way their careers have developed to bring them to where they are now.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    the interview from cerny is awesome. The interviewer is terrible!
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Forum Guru
    I hope we get to see PS1 era of gaming variety. Hopefully there will be Echo Night 3~!!

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Man, if this generation is anything like the PS1 gen, then I am going to be in pure gaming heaven. I remember that era of games very well. The Genesis/SNES era was truly incredible, but having a PS1 felt like going from the Renaissance to the Space Age overnight. With how overly conservative publishers and ballooned budgets for poor games became the rule of the day during PS3 and Xbox 360, I definitely welcome a departure from that.

The indies will save the day. Never forget that Squaresoft was once just a small team of devs who made a final ditch effort to make a successful videogame. Today, that company now exists as one of the biggest megapublishers in the business. Maybe it's time that door is left open for a new breed? It makes me very proud to support Sony when they clearly 'get it' when it comes to bringing creative talent to the table.

9. Likes MavSkipper likes this post
    More loot:

"Every single individual developer is a publisher as far as we're concerned," said Simonetta."We don't separate; we don't segregate indies from traditional publishers."

Simonetta explained that self-publishing indie developers will be able to dictate the release date of their games on the PlayStation 4. Teams will also be able to take advantage of the PlayStation Blog and Sony’s Twitter and Facebook social media presences, and work to create promotions, provided the game is of high enough quality. "It boils down to the objective quality of your title," Simonetta said."

"Once a concept has been submitted to Sony, development teams will be able to find out within a week whether their game can be supported on the PS4 platform."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/every-d...4-sony-6411341

Thread Information