Latest PSU headlines:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'll just be happy to see anything these guys do.
    We need more of this sort of genre.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    You're throwing a lot of outliers and concluding it as evidence. It doesn't work like that when people's lives are on the line.

Btw, Ubi isn't a small company. you might as well add EA while you're at it.
    Ubi Montreal is a developer, I'm not talking about the whole of Ubisoft. I'm also not saying every developer has to and concluding that it's instant success, but more should. There are a lot that can afford to do that. This is a creative art form, I doubt any developer really wants to limit themselves.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    Ubi Montreal is a developer, I'm not talking about the whole of Ubisoft.
    I don't see Ubi Montreal as a good developer. They are skilled but they lack somewhere. I can't stand the AC series, and I just bought and sold FC3...basically the second time in my life where I was sure within an hour that I made a huge mistake buying the game.
    I'm also not saying every developer has to and concluding that it's instant success, but more should. There are a lot that can afford to do that. This is a creative art form, I doubt any developer really wants to limit themselves.
    More should, I agree but more than not, it's not going to work well. Developers stick to what they do best because that's what earns them the money so they can make more games.

If everyone just tried to make all kinds of genres then we wouldn't see the specialization that is caused by continuously improving one thing...such as Rockstar with open-world sandbox games...yes, they have tried other genres but primarily they stick to that and if they do try other things, they incorporate the same ideas.

Am I going to play a JRPG by Rockstar? No. An open-world MMO? Maybe. It's worth a shot.

Would you want PD to make a shooter?
    Last edited by Omar; 07-12-2013 at 23:36. Reason: rockstart? lol

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    I don't see Ubi Montreal as a good developer. They are skilled but they lack somewhere. I can't stand the AC series, and I just bought and sold FC3...basically the second time in my life where I was sure within an hour that I made a huge mistake buying the game.
    More should, I agree but more than not, it's not going to work well. Developers stick to what they do best because that's what earns them the money so they can make more games.
    I know you don't like them, but that's besides the point. They don't stick with one game, they made AC thanks to that which is a cash cow. Not to mention Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, the continuation of Rainbow Six and Far Cry and now they will be having Watch Dogs. All highly acclaimed and successful series. They're a huge developer though, with multiple teams.
    If everyone just tried to make all kinds of genres then we wouldn't see the specialization that is caused by continuously improving one thing...such as Rockstar with open-world sandbox games...yes, they have tried other genres but primarily they stick to that and if they do try other things, they incorporate the same ideas.

Am I going to play a JRPG by Rockstar? No. An open-world MMO? Maybe. It's worth a shot.

Would you want PD to make a shooter?
    If PD wanted to, then yes. I do understand specialization though.

I'd rewind a bit, you instantly went open-world RPG with Dark Sorcerer. Why couldn't it be a normal QD game? Same as Heavy Rain.

Also, I can't think of any failures with trying something different. IO had Kane and Lynch, but before they had Freedom Fighters that was critically acclaimed.

Extreme Poster
    I know you don't like them, but that's besides the point. They don't stick with one game, they made AC thanks to that which is a cash cow. Not to mention Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, the continuation of Rainbow Six and Far Cry and now they will be having Watch Dogs. All highly acclaimed and successful series. They're a huge developer though, with multiple teams.
    Well, that's essentially what I'm saying. If you have a team big enough to do different things then so be it. It would be crazy to make them go through a roller coaster ride and make them program or design games that they may not know much about.

I'll bet you that they have dedicated teams that work on one thing.

If PD wanted to, then yes. I do understand specialization though.

I'd rewind a bit, you instantly went open-world RPG with Dark Sorcerer. Why couldn't it be a normal QD game? Same as Heavy Rain.

Also, I can't think of any failures with trying something different. IO had Kane and Lynch, but before they had Freedom Fighters that was critically acclaimed.
    Something slightly different is fine...I can see that happening. But trying all kinds of games isn't a good idea imo. Not unless you have an idea that just trumps everything out there.

So like the Dark Sorcerer...really, you tell me, what can they really do if they wanted to keep those graphics? What sort of a game could it be? It definitely can't be a game that is outside a dungeon or a castle. The levels can't be that big. You'd have to load to the next location every few minutes.

Why it works in a game like Heavy Rain is because you're really just in a small area but you're doing your investigation so you're taking your time and you're not exactly going anywhere. An action game would be out of the question, you need space to move around, you need physics, you need customizations, battle system that brings something new to the table and is deep, you need treasures, items, weapons, different sorts of magic ranging from small ones to big ones with their own unique animations.

I'm just throwing stuff out that is off the top of my head for a game that is based on fantasy. Big locales come to mind...why would you want to play a fantasy game that is door to door? Do we need another baldur's gate? another neverwinter knight? $#@!, I'd be happy actually but I highly doubt they can pull that off...those game requires so much dedication.

It's not that Quantic Dream isn't dedicated because looking at their tech demos, they certainly are but that's what they do best...and will likely continue to. I just don't see them doing a fantasy game that isn't based on some sort of thriller or drama of some sort because if they did an action game, that would require a whole different set of skill that they may not possess.

Just like you can't ask the creators of Ninja Gaiden to make an emotional drama game. They are good at making games that require gameplay that is based on quick moves and reflexes.

What I think is that a person who wants to get into this business and creates his/her own team of developers...they first choose the sort of game(s) they will make and then they hire people that "want" to make these games. That's the link.

Now, if they wanted to make a different game, I can see them hiring more people that can do that...sure but it's not that simple especially if you're trying to make a new IP in a genre that already has fierce competition.

I can't think of what they can do with this tech demo. I'd like to hear what people have to say though. What could they really do?

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    This is a new generation, they probably can make bigger environments with not much sacrifice. Even then it doesn't require huge environments. There isn't a lot of facial animations during actual gameplay in any game. Magic can be handled like any fight in HR or B: TS, it would still be highly guided and controlled by developer. There can still be a serious story with a similar style, only it's in a fantasy setting.

Veteran
    I hope it stays the meta satire thing that it looked like at E3. Quantic Dream is known for Srs Bsns and angst and sadness. There are too many games going that direction next gen (Dead Rising made un-funny, MGS5 losing its humor (even the exclamation points)... They honestly should go the other way to balance it out.

Extreme Poster
    This is a new generation, they probably can make bigger environments with not much sacrifice. Even then it doesn't require huge environments. There isn't a lot of facial animations during actual gameplay in any game. Magic can be handled like any fight in HR or B: TS, it would still be highly guided and controlled by developer. There can still be a serious story with a similar style, only it's in a fantasy setting.
    even if they pull it off...those graphics are just too mature for right now. maybe something close to it by the end of this generation but right now? if they pull that off right now, they would be winning some sort of an oscar.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    even if they pull it off...those graphics are just too mature for right now. maybe something close to it by the end of this generation but right now? if they pull that off right now, they would be winning some sort of an oscar.
    Well we don't know how far they are with their ps4 game. Heavy Rain came out 2010, The Casting was shown 2006.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    This being just a tech demo, I can't wait to see what they pull off once they're fully dedicated to just the ps4.
    Destiny is going to be EVERYTHING that EA and MS hoped titanfall would be

Extreme Poster
    Well we don't know how far they are with their ps4 game. Heavy Rain came out 2010, The Casting was shown 2006.
    We'll see...I'll be very surprised if it's anything close to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    This being just a tech demo, I can't wait to see what they pull off once they're fully dedicated to just the ps4.
    a tech demo usually is better than the actual product though.

but I'm willing to give them benefit of the doubt as they didn't have PS4 dev kits and had half the RAM to work with.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Am I missing something here? Sufi you made a comment earlier about the goblin having a man's face?? Um that's because it's actually a man (small person) in a costume! Just like the devil wasn't really a devil

As for the looks/graphics, QD is known to surpass there tech demos, it happened with every single tech demo/game they've released this gen, don't see why that'll change

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style

David Cage to reveal new PS4 Dark Sorcerer footage at GDC

Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Am I missing something here? Sufi you made a comment earlier about the goblin having a man's face?? Um that's because it's actually a man (small person) in a costume! Just like the devil wasn't really a devil

As for the looks/graphics, QD is known to surpass there tech demos, it happened with every single tech demo/game they've released this gen, don't see why that'll change

No, the goblin looked weird because ... the goblin looked weird. The way it was done came off as creepy. He wasn't talking about the character being in costume, he's talking about the method they used for the facial expressions on the goblin looks like a bad superimposition job.

And regarding the costume bit, when the wizard asks him about his mask, the goblin replies "what mask?"
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post

they basically made a goblin and then pasted a black guy's mouth onto the goblin so not only it looked weird, it was just horrible as far as artistic value goes. they could've done a much better job.

Elite Member
    I have no clue what these two are on about...

I wouldn't have known that was a black person at all had he not started talking in his normal voice...

Looked like a typical, run of the mill goblin to me...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzano-O View Post
    You must not have seen very many goblins then.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    I really dont see this being PS4's Motorstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Is Hollywood against black goblins?

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzano-O View Post
    I have no clue what these two are on about...

I wouldn't have known that was a black person at all had he not started talking in his normal voice...

we're just that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    ... where do you come up with this $#@! lol

Flaw3d Genius
    Read post 65 & 66

Goblins dont exist in real life they exist in movies and TV.

Extreme Poster
    i misread that post. i thought you started out with "Isn't".

the rest, i'm not sure what's going on lol

Flaw3d Genius
    I think it shows we need more black goblins! QD breaking down the barriers

22. Likes darky89 likes this post
    Administrator

David Cage to reveal new PS4 Dark Sorcerer footage at GDC

Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    Uh... what? First of all, this isn't Hollywood. It's the gaming industry. Secondly... uh... what? We've been talking about how off his face looks because of whatever technique they used comes off as looking a little creepy and fake. Looks like they simply superimposed his face on a goblin's head. It reminds me of those pictures where the picture itself is still, but just the lips are moving and are part of another person's mouth entirely (a la the Spongebob intro - "are you ready kids?!"). With the wizard, they didn't do that.
    Last edited by Brandon; 07-14-2013 at 18:21.

Extreme Poster
    ^exactly. like these guys.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Nope...

Strangely enough, tho, I've been in the proximity of black guy's faces my entire life...

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Can't wait to see more of this.

Thread Information