Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

Legalized Immigrants could help out Economy

http://money.msn.com/now/post--legal...llion-in-taxes

Undocumented immigrants are robbing taxpayers, you say? Well, you could get $2 billion of that back each year if those same immigrants were allowed to work here legally.

A study conducted by the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP), a nonpartisan research organization, says the country's 11.2 million undocumented immigrants already collectively contributed $10.6 billion to states and localities in 2010 through sales and excise taxes, as well as through property and income taxes.

That number could swell to $12.6 billion if undocumented immigrants were allowed to work legally, pay more in state income taxes and kick in their full share to federal, state and local tax systems.

The immigration reform legislation Congress is now considering would give many unauthorized U.S. workers the legal right to work. ITEP's analysis assumes that legalization would allow those workers to bargain with employers, increase their income and, in turn, boost their tax contributions.

The study piggybacks on the findings of the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, which estimates that the current immigration legislation would decrease the federal deficit by $197 billion and generate more than $450 billion in additional federal revenue over the next decade, if passed.

The Center for American Progress also indicates that immigration reform could add more than 200,000 new jobs and $1.4 trillion to the overall economy as immigrants use their income to buy goods and pay taxes.

So, where do U.S. taxpayers stand on giving undocumented workers legal status? According to the Pew Research Institute, their resounding answer is "Sure, now fork it over." A full 75% of those surveyed told Pew they agree that it would be "better for the economy for undocumented immigrants to gain legal status and become legal workers." That includes 70% of Republicans and 83% of Democrats.

That said, there's still a little trepidation about the effects of that legalization. Little more than 50% of surveyed taxpayers said granting immigrants legal status would take jobs from U.S. citizens, while 61% said it would be a drain on government services.

Those folks are still outnumbered, however, by the 77% who felt deportation is unrealistic and the 75% who believed most undocumented workers are hard-working and deserve a chance to stay in America and improve their lives.
    It sounds good. What are your thoughts?
    Currently Playing: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire for the Nintendo 3DS

Unbound Mercenary
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Or ya know, deport the ILLEGAL immigrants. This is a deliberate slap to the face of all those who have worked so hard to become citizens, legally.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Those people who said it would be good for economy know nothing. Illegals send a majority of thier money to thier families out of the country and live off gov benefita through thier children. They had there "your all legal" freebie years ago and it did nothing.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

4. Likes claud3, Kwes likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    it costs money to deport them, it costs money fighting it and it costs money to make them legal... So in all

It still costs money and that is money you currently can't afford
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Elite Member
    The excuse was that illegals are willing to do jobs other American don't want for less.
    But once they become legal citizen they will demand higher wages for those jobs using their new constitutional rights, which should have never been granted. It's like a tragic comedy unfolding right in front of our eyes.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Quote Originally Posted by reasonable_doubt View Post
    The excuse was that illegals are willing to do jobs other American don't want for less.
    But once they become legal citizen they will demand higher wages for those jobs using their new constitutional rights, which should have never been granted. It's like a tragic comedy unfolding right in front of our eyes.
    Just like out sourcing to the china labor
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Administrator

Legalized Immigrants could help out Economy

What a stupid article. My family on my mother's side became citizens legally many generations ago... they either need to do the same by going through the proper avenues or be deported. They shouldn't be given benefits for breaking citizenship laws... I don't care what "benefits" it would do for the economy. And 2 billion a year of our 15 trillion dollar debt is minuscule.

Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    it costs money to deport them, it costs money fighting it and it costs money to make them legal... So in all

It still costs money and that is money you currently can't afford
    They shouldn't be here in the first place.

I think what bothers me more than them being here illegally is for many of them refusing to learn English... so instead I have to learn their language to communicate with them. And it's become such a problem that Spanish is on almost every single thing we buy... again for their refusal to learn English. And why must we cater to just them? There are many different nationalities of people in this country with different cultures, religions, and languages... and their native tongue isn't plastered all over our products. That's discrimination and it's unfair for other people to have to learn the national language but not them. It's dumb.
    Last edited by Brandon; 07-12-2013 at 02:58.

9. Likes faaeng likes this post
    Veteran
    It also has nothing to do with them taking jobs that citizen/legals don't want for less pay. The problem is them getting jobs in general because they'll accept less pay. Then majority of that money never gets cycled back into our economy. It gets sent back to their families back home.

Also blame the people who keep offering them jobs because their cheaper labor.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post

They shouldn't be here in the first place.

I think what bothers me more than them being here illegally is for many of them refusing to learn English... so instead I have to learn their language to communicate with them. And it's become such a problem that Spanish is on almost every single thing we buy... again for their refusal to learn English. And why must we cater to just them? There are many different nationalities of people in this country with different cultures, religions, and languages... and their native tongue isn't plastered all over our products. That's discrimination and it's unfair for other people to have to learn the national language but not them. It's dumb.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    It also has nothing to do with them taking jobs that citizen/legals don't want for less pay. The problem is them getting jobs in general because they'll accept less pay. Then majority of that money never gets cycled back into our economy. It gets sent back to their families back home.

Also blame the people who keep offering them jobs because their cheaper labor.
    Yeah... that's pretty much it exactly.

Power Member
    Immigrants are a net positive to the economy if they have an educational equivalent of or above a high school degree. Uneducated immigrants, however, are a complete drain.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    You can not have school without kids... You adult without lador

Administrator
    You can not have school without kids... You adult without lador
    Um... what?

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Uneducated immigrants, however, are a complete drain.
    I agree... however... so are lazy Americans living off unemployment/food stamps and refusing to look for work, yet are making more than low-income Americans.
    Last edited by Brandon; 07-12-2013 at 03:48.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    title of the thread says it all. "COULD" not "WILL". smh

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Cheap sells and kids make great ?

Administrator
    Cheap sells and kids make great ?
    ???

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Send all the filthy immigrants back home.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    You do nothing yourself.. You think under control and that is anger, self anger make you believe in something that is not true
    Last edited by claud3; 07-12-2013 at 05:21.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Life is a sobering thought

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    I'm split on this issue. First off my family busted their ass to get here legally, took many many years. So when somebody just hops a fence I find that to be insulting.

Most of these immigrants are uneducated, refuse to integrate into our society, and generally don't really plan on being a part of it. Sure they are usually hardworking...but that means squat if it isn't being done _right_. Then the whole myth about "doing jobs Americans don't want to do"...bull$#@!. Americans are willing to do these jobs, just not at the crap wages that would be necessary to compete with the illegals, and definitely not working shoulder to shoulder with people who generally dislike you.

BTW I've worked in kitchens all over Southern California. Yes...I've worked with illegals quite a bit. People seem to think it's sooo great that their food can be made with such cheap labor but never seem to consider it's often being made by some sweaty dirty dude that hasn't quite figured out you can actually flush the $#@!ing toilet paper rather than plopping it in the bathroom trashcan. Just hope he can read that "wash you hands sign" despite being written in multiple languages.

Now...I said I was split on this and I'll explain: I don't believe the children should be punished. The ones who were brought here when small, the ones that if sent back to whatever country wouldn't have the know how of the culture, language...all of that. Those that get sent back like that will either be forced into drug trade, prostitution, or worse. It's not right, and punishing them for the actions of their parents or families that brought them here in that way should not be done.

The woman I consider to be my little sister is illegal. Her parents brought her here when she was two, knows nothing about Mexico really. She wouldn't last a week down there...and here I have to watch her struggle with work, being able to drive, schooling. And it makes me angry because she's just as American as I am. Honestly she seems more American than many legal Americans I know.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekmon View Post
    I'm split on this issue. First off my family busted their ass to get here legally, took many many years. So when somebody just hops a fence I find that to be insulting.

Most of these immigrants are uneducated, refuse to integrate into our society, and generally don't really plan on being a part of it. Sure they are usually hardworking...but that means squat if it isn't being done _right_. Then the whole myth about "doing jobs Americans don't want to do"...bull$#@!. Americans are willing to do these jobs, just not at the crap wages that would be necessary to compete with the illegals, and definitely not working shoulder to shoulder with people who generally dislike you.

BTW I've worked in kitchens all over Southern California. Yes...I've worked with illegals quite a bit. People seem to think it's sooo great that their food can be made with such cheap labor but never seem to consider it's often being made by some sweaty dirty dude that hasn't quite figured out you can actually flush the $#@!ing toilet paper rather than plopping it in the bathroom trashcan. Just hope he can read that "wash you hands sign" despite being written in multiple languages.

Now...I said I was split on this and I'll explain: I don't believe the children should be punished. The ones who were brought here when small, the ones that if sent back to whatever country wouldn't have the know how of the culture, language...all of that. Those that get sent back like that will either be forced into drug trade, prostitution, or worse. It's not right, and punishing them for the actions of their parents or families that brought them here in that way should not be done.

The woman I consider to be my little sister is illegal. Her parents brought her here when she was two, knows nothing about Mexico really. She wouldn't last a week down there...and here I have to watch her struggle with work, being able to drive, schooling. And it makes me angry because she's just as American as I am. Honestly she seems more American than many legal Americans I know.
    The parents shouldn't have brought their little ones here in the first place. However, if they're brought here at such a ridiculously young age that they know America more than they ever knew Mexico, then I'd probably agree we should let them stay. Also, any children BORN on U.S. soil are citizens automatically. I just think the whole entire situation is handled very poorly. The government could very easily protect our borders better... but it seems rather obvious they're letting them in on purpose. If they're not, we truly suck at border control. :\ There are millions of them here and I think I read that in a few decades, half the country will be Mexicans. Something is obviously very wrong with border control... or the government is enjoying dirt cheap labor while continually destroying the economy.

I get that their country is horrible to live in... that's why they come here in the first place, but my family did it legally... and worked their freaking asses off to do so... so they need to do that as well. If they want it that bad, they need to work for it, just like all the other legal immigrants that have come here.
    Last edited by Brandon; 07-12-2013 at 19:01.

25. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post

Thread Information