Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
    Superior Member

EA Raises Prices Of Next-Gen Games To 54.99/$80

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/EA-...-99-57437.html

The United Kingdom based retail outlet, GAME, has verified that the price of next-gen titles from Electronic Arts for the PlayStation 4 (and presumably the Xbox One) will be raised from 39.99 to 54.99. Development costs and all that jazz.

The news comes courtesy of GAME themselves in a Q&A about the next generation of home console gaming. Tech Radar caught wind of the Q&A, where GAME rolls out the pricing of next-gen titles, stating...

At present, the only publisher to confirm costs of their next generation games are EA, attaching a price of 54.99. No other game prices have been confirmed. We will of course update our listings as and when this happens. And if the price changes before release day, you will always pay the lowest price.

Oh bother me bad and color me blind; that's a blimey high price.

In American speak we're looking at games from Electronic Arts costing $80 a pop. Can you believe that? Actually, it's not hard to believe at all.

Keep in mind that EA is always scheming for ways to raise the cost of the initial purchase. Remember how proud EA was of getting people to lay down $80 a pop for Mass Effect 3 last year? Remember how excited they were to cancel the Online Pass when Microsoft unveiled their unbelievably daft digital rights management system for the Xbox One? Now remember how coy EA became at E3 when Sony dropped the pro-consumer hammer of righteous justice and put all the top dog publishers in their place when they said the PS4 wasn't going to be carrying the venereal disease of interactive entertainment known as disc-based DRM?

Well, there's a reason Peter Moore didn't have an answer for the Dorito Pope at this year's E3 when he was asked about how they would approach the DRM situation following Sony's DRM ban-hammer. It's because they had to find a way to double-dip in the honey pot, especially following Microsoft's Xbox 180 maneuver.

At this junction, however, it's become rather obvious how one of the biggest players on the field will try to re-adjust for the costs and expenses: They're simply going to hike up the price of entry, development costs be damned.

Now it's easy to say Inflation this and Inflation that, but realistically Sony had already outlined that prices on their end weren't changing for the PS4, with games either being free or priced between $0.99 and $60 as a cap. It's not like wages have gone up to match the living expenses and Sony seems to understand that.

I imagine EA's excuse will be their Ignite Engine and Frostbite 3... even though, technically, we've been seeing this kind of technology on high-end PC games for the last couple of years. But, bringing it to consoles obviously raises prices, right?

What's more is that the AAA methodology of blow-out-our-budget-on-a-Hollywood-wannabe-game needs to go away. The Cliffy B mindset needs to go extinct right now. We're just not in a climate where publishers need to be throwing money around at silly ideas and expecting consumers to pick up the tab in poorly produced products. THQ learned that the hard way.

Even more than that, budgets need to be curtailed to the experience. No one is necessarily asking for bigger games with lesser gameplay, people just want want fun games. And last I checked, you don't need $100 million to make a fun game -cough-Minecraft-cough-.

More than anything, I suspect smart core gamers will rally their funds and only spend it where it deserves to go, as opposed to forking over cash they don't have just so a company can keep spending money into bankruptcy like Enron, Worldcom and the auto industry before the bailout.
    Whelp, guess I won't be buying any EA games. **** that noise.
    "Bigfoot is blurry, that is the problem...it is not the photographers fault...Bigfoot is blurry and that is extra scary to me because there is an extra large out-of-focus creature roaming the countryside....Run he's fuzzy, get out of here" ~ Mitch Hedburg, RIP you crazy fool

Forum Guru
    Guess no EA games for me. That's robbery.
    Enough people not buy into this be and they'll get the idea. Less profit>no profit
    Last edited by faaeng; 07-12-2013 at 09:08.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Ha! No thanks EA. I'll buy games that progress not regress. You just earned yourself on the official rent list. Hope this isn't true. We all know how everyone like to follow EA.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Trolololo good luck with that!
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Forum Guru
    I was so excited for a new Battlefront too, but I ain't that damn excited. **** outta here....

Glad I'm not a Madden or Fifa fan and 2K has always made Live its ***** since the Dreamcast.
    Last edited by faaeng; 07-12-2013 at 10:26.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    There is no way them to try this. It is suicide.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Meh I pay $79-89 for new console releases anyway lol

But if it does indeed go up... Good thing I don't buy many EA games, if I do they are on sale

Via Tapatalk

PS4/PS3/X360/WiiU/PC/3DS/PSV

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Man this can't be real, they really are the ****tiest company ever.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

Forum Guru
    Now we see the true reasoning behind all those special and limited editions being released this gen coming to fruition.

Just publishers testing the waters to see how much people are really willing to spend.

Think about it. This gen was littered with special/limited and collectors editions at $10-20-30+ more then standard pricing. Compared to what last gen? Practically none.
    Last edited by faaeng; 07-12-2013 at 11:01.

Superior Member
    I'll pick up Battlefront. But that's it, EA. Nothing else.

11. Likes D3seeker likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Oh okay, back to EA boycott again...
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

13. Likes Sufi likes this post
    Forum Sage

EA sure dont get tired of switching from gaming good guys to gaming bad guys. Swear they do it every few months. Make a good decision then piss all over it with another bad one

BBK. Tapatalking

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    I wish them the best luck.

Flaw3d Genius
    That article is nonsense, EA's current rrp in the UK is 49.99 not 39.99

So it's going from 49.99 to 54.99 which of course wont be sold at that price...Hardly going to break the bank now is it. Usual anti EA brigade nonsense.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Wow, they can't justify this. They need to be smarter with their budgets. I guess I'll get the games when they're much cheaper.

E: For some reason I remembered the RRP being 49.99 as well, but I couldn't find anything.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    Wow, they can't justify this. They need to be smarter with their budgets. I guess I'll get the games when they're much cheaper.

E: For some reason I remembered the RRP being 49.99 as well, but I couldn't find anything.
    http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/fifa_1...ost_54_99.html

Bar a few exceptions, current-gen titles typically RRP for 49.99 in the UK. Recent releases in the Call of Duty and FIFA franchises have each carried a higher 54.99 RRP.
    Both Fifa and COD sell for around the 43 mark...12 less than rrp

Cinebland or whatever they are called trying to be as controversial as poss to get hits

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Thanks, I hope they will lower it later on though. We can't have a price increase every generation.

Superior Member
    It's one thing when everyone bumps the price of their games. But with an E.A. only attempt, they'll stick out like a sore thumb. Regardless, it's clear that the community isn't going to stand for this. Especially after seeing how people reacted to the next gen console pricing and policies.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Guess if you want any EA game available for pre order now better do it on Amazon and their low price guarantee haha.
    Facebook-https://www.facebook.com/gameryuichi I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    Now we see the true reasoning behind all those special and limited editions being released this gen coming to fruition. Just publishers testing the waters to see how much people are really willing to spend. Think about it. This gen was littered with special/limited and collectors editions at $10-20-30+ more then standard pricing. Compared to what last gen? Practically none.
    I've been telling people that since the PS2 days. Then we got 60 dollar games. Now its happening again. Looks like I wont be buying any EA games.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    Guess if you want any EA game available for pre order now better do it on Amazon and their low price guarantee haha.
    I'll just rent their games.

Veteran
    And why would every single one of you believe this UK store? I mean I'm certain there was some fuzz about EA raising the price and they cleared by saying they won't be raising their game prices for next gen.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    And why would every single one of you believe this UK store? I mean I'm certain there was some fuzz about EA raising the price and they cleared by saying they won't be raising their game prices for next gen.
    They're the one selling the games, of course they're going to get this information. EA might backtrack though.

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Doesn't seem to say they'll go up in the US. I already support EA as little as possible, but I have no qualms about doing even less than that. The only game I buy from them is FIFA.

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    Doesn't seem to say they'll go up in the US. I already support EA as little as possible, but I have no qualms about doing even less than that. The only game I buy from them is FIFA.
    Well the games are the same price as Fifa you'l see no difference.

Thread Information