Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 ... LastLast
    Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    i highly doubt that's the reason. otherwise we wouldn't see an apple mini and i'm sure some would also collide with smart phones.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    DynamicSun
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    This is great news, they best not let down on this matter, don't want to end up spending a lot of money on consoles.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Quote Originally Posted by XtraTrstrL View Post
    Sony has more experience in the hardware arena than Microsoft. That's probably part of the reason the box is so much smaller, even though it's holding more raw power in it. The airflow design on both consoles seem more than adequate enough to handle and expel the heat of these very efficient, less heat producing 28nm APUs. You would have to know much more detailed info about the arrangement of parts and heat output of all the hardware internals to be able to say, "it's still unsafe to just make a box that small."
    Sony producing three consoles over Microsoft's two wouldn't have any relevance. Both Microsoft and Sony have hired veterans of the industry to create their consoles. The design of the PS4 makes cooling more difficult for Sony than the Xbox One for Microsoft. It was unsafe and unnecessary risk to go with such a small box just for the sake of aesthetics. Sony engineers have had it tough making this console with such a small form factor in mind, and it is pure vainglory to have opted for creating such a small console rather than just having opted to keep the console cool through the best and smartest way possible, which is to just make the box bigger.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    oh no. it's the end of the world. the ps4 will be smaller than the slim and run much hotter. Sony doesn't know wtf they are doing...

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Sucking in air from the _top_ of the console box, running it through the biggest HSF they could fit and then letting hot air mix around inside the case and hoping it'll find it's way out of one of the other vents is not the best and smartest way possible, it's the cheapest and easiest way possible.

20130514-XBOX-ONE-TEARDOWN-014-660x440.jpg

6. Likes victorijapoosp likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekmon View Post
    Sucking in air from the _top_ of the console box, running it through the biggest HSF they could fit and then letting hot air mix around inside the case and hoping it'll find it's way out of one of the other vents is not the best and smartest way possible, it's the cheapest and easiest way possible.

Looks like a cheap Cable TV pvr box when you take the cover off, not highly engineered at all.
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    Sony producing three consoles over Microsoft's two wouldn't have any relevance.
    *facepalm*

So how's that Walkman working still that MS made back in the 80s.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Foraeli>Mark Cerny
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Superior Member

I think the size of the console has more to do with how efficient the hardware is, and less to do with an ego/PR thing. I doubt either developer wants to deal with dead consoles especially after the RROD fiasco.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    For goodness sake I hope nobody thinks to start labelling the console an Xbrick,
    oops
    -Regarding the Xbone A.K.A. the Xbrick

"Faith - that's another word for ignorance isn't it?" -House

Forum Overseer
    Foraeli>Moore's Law. as well.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    Foraeli>Mark Cerny
    Lol!

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    Foraeli>Mark Cerny
    lol Good one.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekmon View Post

Where did you get that it sucks air from the top and blows it through the system (not to say that's necessarily an issue give that all the DDR3 Mem's are right below the heatsink and fan, and only one significant IC is sitting out away from major air flow.)

The reason I ask, is because based on traditional fin design, it would appear that this would suck air up through the bottom of the heat sink, meaning cooler air inside the chassis in general. What's not shown is the bottom side of the top panel. I'd assume that it's got a closed fit over the top of the fan shrouding and force most of the air out the top and back sides while most of the incoming air is coming from the left and below. It looks like there's a good 3/4" - 1" of space above the fan and BD drive based on comparing images, it would make since for porting duct work. Not the most space efficient design mind you, but I don't really see it being 'Not Smart'

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    Sony producing three consoles over Microsoft's two wouldn't have any relevance. Both Microsoft and Sony have hired veterans of the industry to create their consoles. The design of the PS4 makes cooling more difficult for Sony than the Xbox One for Microsoft. It was unsafe and unnecessary risk to go with such a small box just for the sake of aesthetics. Sony engineers have had it tough making this console with such a small form factor in mind, and it is pure vainglory to have opted for creating such a small console rather than just having opted to keep the console cool through the best and smartest way possible, which is to just make the box bigger.
    I wasn't talking purely game consoles. Sony in general has been making hardware forever, and they have tons of experts in-house they can grab to get this done. And like Insanehead, it's even more amazing how much better Sony is at compressing stronger hardware into a smaller box when you consider that they keep their PSU inside the box, while Xbox has a huge, clunky PSU connected to the power cord. Sony engineers are just better in this area, period.

BTW, are these concerns of yours backed by any info you found stating PS4 possibly having heating issues, or are you just paranoid because the size of the system? Because, looking at the back of the system, it's easy to see why the heat dissipation should be adequate. If you had some type of inside info of sorts, then it'd be worth arguing over this whole point, otherwise, I don't see why this is even being so deeply delved into right now.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    I wasn't talking purely game consoles. Sony in general has been making hardware forever, and they have tons of experts in-house they can grab to get this done. And like Insanehead, it's even more amazing how much better Sony is at compressing stronger hardware into a smaller box when you consider that they keep their PSU inside the box, while Xbox has a huge, clunky PSU connected to the power cord. Sony engineers are just better in this area, period.

BTW, are these concerns of yours backed by any info you found stating PS4 possibly having heating issues, or are you just paranoid because the size of the system? Because, looking at the back of the system, it's easy to see why the heat dissipation should be adequate. If you had some type of inside info of sorts, then it'd be worth arguing over this whole point, otherwise, I don't see why this is even being so deeply delved into right now.
    why this is being delved into? c'mon bro u know damn well people are just trying to doom and gloom the console. there is no cracks, so they're trying to invent some by trying to compare it (ridiculously) to other past consoles.

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    [...] Because, looking at the back of the system, it's easy to see why the heat dissipation should be adequate.
    Pretty much.

The entire back is a freaking ventilation system.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Pretty much.

pbm u just reminded me of how sexy the 4 is lol. it's only been like 47 seconds since I last looked at one but DAYUM!

Administrator
    Glad I could be of service.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    you always are brother. either supreme $#@!mode service or supreme picturemode service. I can always count on ya for one lol

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Where did you get that it sucks air from the top and blows it through the system (not to say that's necessarily an issue give that all the DDR3 Mem's are right below the heatsink and fan, and only one significant IC is sitting out away from major air flow.)

The reason I ask, is because based on traditional fin design, it would appear that this would suck air up through the bottom of the heat sink, meaning cooler air inside the chassis in general. What's not shown is the bottom side of the top panel. I'd assume that it's got a closed fit over the top of the fan shrouding and force most of the air out the top and back sides while most of the incoming air is coming from the left and below. It looks like there's a good 3/4" - 1" of space above the fan and BD drive based on comparing images, it would make since for porting duct work. Not the most space efficient design mind you, but I don't really see it being 'Not Smart'
    I'm basing that on (typically) whichever side of the fan houses the power wire is the exhaust side. I don't see a wire on the top so...yeah. Of course my old eyes aren't exactly as sharp as they used to be and only got one angle of the image so I could very well be wrong and it could be exhausting upwards. That HSF is located right under the open grills on the top right of the box BTW.

And I didn't say it was "not smart", just that it wasn't "the smartest"
    (as in I'd want it blowing cool air in over the HSF and have a chassis fan to remove the heated air. Or a blower style setup)

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Pretty much.

Not to argue with you but this really doesn't mean crap. First talk about Power of APU, Heatsinks, and CFM of fans only then start talking about ventilation. There's a $#@! load of fins as vents as would be expected, especially for one w/ the power brick inside, presumably at the back like the PS3.

A big thing to point out is the C7 power coupler, which is for lower power. Sony used the C13 (like on your PC power supply) on the PS3 Phat and moved to the C7 when they brought the power down on the PS3 Slim. I'd expect the power consumption of the first gen PS4 to be no more than 165W max, probably a little less. Something in line with the Slim, maybe a little lower.

But that's speculation. What I'd really like to see is a teardown view of the PS3. It's interesting how the ports are sitting up high on the backside of the PS4. Probably just a small PCB up there that's ribbon cabled to the main board though.

Forum Overseer
    @PBM. that...is $#@!ing gorgeous. i see why some people are pissed off.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I want to plug my cord into that thing!

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Not to argue with you but this really doesn't mean crap. First talk about Power of APU, Heatsinks, and CFM of fans only then start talking about ventilation. There's a $#@! load of fins as vents as would be expected, especially for one w/ the power brick inside, presumably at the back like the PS3.

A big thing to point out is the C7 power coupler, which is for lower power. Sony used the C13 (like on your PC power supply) on the PS3 Phat and moved to the C7 when they brought the power down on the PS3 Slim. I'd expect the power consumption of the first gen PS4 to be no more than 165W max, probably a little less. Something in line with the Slim, maybe a little lower.

But that's speculation. What I'd really like to see is a teardown view of the PS3. It's interesting how the ports are sitting up high on the backside of the PS4. Probably just a small PCB up there that's ribbon cabled to the main board though.
    No worries. I'm sure there a lot of factors involved. I really want to see the insides of this thing.

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    Pretty much.

nice arse

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Thread Information