Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 10 1 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Mark Cerny: They know how to design PS4 so it wont overheat

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/83714...t+overheat%22/ Reposted this here in the proper section since I mistakenly put it in the PS4 games section initially.

. Gamereactor Spain caught up with Mark Cerny shortly after he delivered his Road to PS4 presentation at this year's Gamelab in Barcelona.

As part of a longer GRTV interview, which will be shown in full this Sunday on the site, we asked Cerny how the PlayStation 4 would cope with the intense summer heat that Spain's currently sweltering under.

"I think it will be fine," he replied. "They know how to design the console so it doesn't overheat. If you notice that PlayStation 4 is smaller, it's because power consumption is less; simple as that."

You can watch the full interview this Sunday, in which Cerny also talks about how the PS4 design philosophy is different from its predecessors, how game creators have been offering feedback for the past five years, and why DLC will likely be a major part of next-gen.

In the mean time, check out Cerny's full Gamelab presentation below.

Last edited by TwentyThree; 07-13-2013 at 06:48.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Take the top of Cerny. I want to see what you working with under there!

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Yeah I want to see Sony's cooling solution.

ADMINISTRATOR
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    I really want to see the inside of the PS4. :\ I'm intrigued... lol.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.”

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    I really want to see the inside of the PS4. :\ I'm intrigued... lol.
    This.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Sony has played the Core gamers so bad with their hype! Think about it. They revealed the console but didn't show the box. Then we were excited to see that at e3. After e3 we are hyped to see the inside. Not to mention keeping us guessing with the date. Stop messing with our heads dammit!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Sony has played the Core gamers so bad with their hype! Think about it. They revealed the console but didn't show the box. Then we were excited to see that at e3. After e3 we are hyped to see the inside. Not to mention keeping us guessing with the date. Stop messing with our heads dammit!
    Why? They keep the hype up, this is the best thing they could've done from a marketing perspective.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by Flumbooze View Post
    Why? They keep the hype up, this is the best thing they could've done from a marketing perspective.
    I know my mind just can't take much more hype lol.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    And they only revealed 5 of 20 year one exclusive titles.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Aww..Now that's just teasing!

Master Sage
    Vents

And lots of them

Veteran
    This is great news, they best not let down on this matter, don't want to end up spending a lot of money on consoles.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    DynamicSun
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    This is great news, they best not let down on this matter, don't want to end up spending a lot of money on consoles.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    I'm a bit surprised at all the hubbub about the fact that Sony knows how to build a console that can dissipate heat sufficiently.

It isn't like they've done a bad job, and it's an active thermal solution (i.e. uses something besides static dissipation - such as airflow through heatsinks.) This takes engineering, knowing the worst case power consumption of the device, which any respectable company such as AMD would provide, and knowledge of environment it's going into (this is Houses w/ nominal room temp, but I'm sure Sony would use much higher external air temp sources in the neighborhood of 50C ambient - in which you'd be sweating your ass off if you were sitting in it.)

Then forced air, temp of device, thermal resistance of APU package, heat sink characterstics and it's easy to guaranty a max temp.

All that said, this assumes that you do maintain good thermal conductivity (i.e. you don't get a gap and have your thermal paste dry up - which was a problem that some people had with the PS3 Phat's)

The only question I'd really be concerned about is how quiet the fan is when it's a full speed. Reports from Sony have indicated it will be quieter than the PS3 Phat and Slim - but we'll have to wait and see.

That said, my PS3 Phat didn't start ramping high until about 4yrs in when the thermal compound started drying up and it wasn't getting good thermal conductivity and eventually dying. My PS3 Slim has always been very quiet.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Vents

And lots of them
    Do you really think that is sufficient?

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    I'm a bit surprised at all the hubbub about the fact that Sony knows how to build a console that can dissipate heat sufficiently.

It isn't like they've done a bad job, and it's an active thermal solution (i.e. uses something besides static dissipation - such as airflow through heatsinks.) This takes engineering, knowing the worst case power consumption of the device, which any respectable company such as AMD would provide, and knowledge of environment it's going into (this is Houses w/ nominal room temp, but I'm sure Sony would use much higher external air temp sources in the neighborhood of 50C ambient - in which you'd be sweating your ass off if you were sitting in it.)

Then forced air, temp of device, thermal resistance of APU package, heat sink characterstics and it's easy to guaranty a max temp.

All that said, this assumes that you do maintain good thermal conductivity (i.e. you don't get a gap and have your thermal paste dry up - which was a problem that some people had with the PS3 Phat's)

The only question I'd really be concerned about is how quiet the fan is when it's a full speed. Reports from Sony have indicated it will be quieter than the PS3 Phat and Slim - but we'll have to wait and see.

That said, my PS3 Phat didn't start ramping high until about 4yrs in when the thermal compound started drying up and it wasn't getting good thermal conductivity and eventually dying. My PS3 Slim has always been very quiet.
    If sony's hardware engineering is so good, why do they have so much trouble with their laptops (specifically regarding thermal's and performance/throttling?)

ADMINISTRATOR
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    If sony's hardware engineering is so good, why do they have so much trouble with their laptops (specifically regarding thermal's and performance/throttling?)
    The PS4 is a Sony/AMD collaboration, not Sony only. PS3 was a Sony/IBM/Toshiba collaboration. I couldn't care less about their laptop line, it has nothing to do with the cooling in the PlayStation 4.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.”

Forum Sage
    The PS4 is a Sony/AMD collaboration, not Sony only. PS3 was a Sony/IBM/Toshiba collaboration. I couldn't care less about their laptop line, it has nothing to do with the cooling in the PlayStation 4.
    You don't see the similarities between the two though? Stuffing in computer hardware into a small case/enclosure with limited cooling capabilities.

ADMINISTRATOR
    You don't see the similarities between the two though? Stuffing in computer hardware into a small case/enclosure with limited cooling capabilities.
    I see you trying to make a negative spin with a baseless assumption about a cooling system that hasn't been detailed yet and comparing it to a completely different product.

Do you really think that is sufficient?

Have you seen/used Sony VAIO Duo 11 ? or the new VAIO Duo 13 ?.....that laptop hardly generate any heat at all, and you can't even hear a tiny bit of fan noise...seems like there is no fan inside.
    Proud owner of :
    Sony PS3, Sony PS2, Sony PS1, Sony LCD TV, Sony DVD Player, Sony Camcorder, Sony Digicam, Sony Walkman, Sony Car Stereo, Sony Vaio VGC-S series, Sony Ericsson P990, Sony Ericsson P910, Sony STR-DE875, Sony STR-DB930, Sony VAIO VGC-LA1, Sony DSLR-A100, Sony DSLR-A350, Sony PSvita, Sony VAIO-P, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc, Sony DSLR-A77, Sony VAIO Duo 11

Forum Guru
    A better cooling solution goes a long way. First gen PS1 still has issues with head (hence the dreaded YLOD) but X360 first gen cooling solution was a total disaster.

So Sony should not go cheap on this!

ADMINISTRATOR
    They don't inspire anything. They're just vents. There's no reason to make baseless assumptions.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    They don't inspire anything. They're just vents. There's no reason to make baseless assumptions.
    Bingo

Forum Sage
    How is it baseless? Look at the X1. It is generally considered to use less power/generate less heat due to the less powerful gpu/different memory used. The exterior casing is covered in vents. So if the PS4 uses more power/generates more heat why does it only have 2 small strips of intake vents on the side? It is not unreasonable to question the adequacy of the vents on the console. Especially over time as dust accumulates in the console.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    How is it baseless? Look at the X1. It is generally considered to use less power/generate less heat due to the less powerful gpu/different memory used. The exterior casing is covered in vents. So if the PS4 uses more power/generates more heat why does it only have 2 small strips of intake vents on the side? It is not unreasonable to question the adequacy of the vents on the console. Especially over time as dust accumulates in the console.
    Maybe the huge diffrence in experience helping sony lol. You know one being software company other is a hardware.
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    removed flame bait image

- DarkVicent07
    Last edited by DarkVincent07; 07-15-2013 at 06:43.

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

Thread Information