Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Member

Pictures you've recently taken.

We all take pictures right? Mostly just quick snapshots of things you find interesting, strange, funny, gross, whatever. Well, why don't we share a few?

These don't have to be professional shots. It's not a thread for showing off, more of a thread to show off the interesting or funny things we see in life...

This was sitting in the parking lot of my work today............

It's always nice to see how the 1% live.

Forum Guru
    Just had his bath.
    Attached Images
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Recently taken picture thread? I think this can become a nice new sticky.

Anyway,

Just very recently, Canada, or a large portion of Ontario had a massive blackout due to severe rain. It rained a months worth in less than one hour. Sewage was spewing out, an entire highway was flooded to the waistline, literally and this is a picture of back up systems on in a hallway at a friends house. He lives in an apartment building and this is how creepy the hall looks with a blackout. It was fun listening to the radio with no power. It felt like the apocalypse, rioting and bombs excluded. But yeah, that's the most recent one. The blackout only lasted a few hours, nothing like 2003 blackouts where all of Canada was out of power for 48 hours.

I title this picture: The Shining

Forum Guru
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    Acouple I took after washing/waxing the motor:

5. Likes Sylar , berts08 wishes they had posted this first.
    PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    image.jpg

View from my back porch. Love sitting out here in the mornings
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

7. Likes berts08 wishes they had posted this first.
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    Here is looking out my front window

This is out my back garden

This is my dog buddy, he is looking for the cat next door.

And here he is again having a sniff

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Dedicated Member

My puppy....

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by SupraGaz View Post
    Acouple I took after washing/waxing the motor:

It's a shame you live half the world away from me. I used to detail cars professionally, and I would LOVE the chance to give that a proper detail job.

Can you even tell what color (colour) my car is?

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Just a quick heads up for people here. Android market is giving away a guide for android photography...limited time tho. I just got it...seems quite good. Name is : android photography.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Dedicated Member

Teaching my daughter how to take pics. Not bad for her first fully manual moon shot.

13. Likes Sylar wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Sage
    The cat i've adopted called Toby ^^

And some cows at the gf's uncles farm. Moo.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    Ok guys, you lot are in for a treat! you get to see my ugly mug.

Me driving

Arriving at Kwik fit to get two new tires only to find out they need to order them in

We decided to go to KFC for some lunch

I got me a large pop corn chicken meal yum! yum!

Me posing for camera

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

Dedicated Member

This is why a smart phone camera will never replace a proper DSLR.

Dedicated Member
    Memphis, TN (Home of STAX records, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Graceland, Hi Records, Ardent Studios
    Some recent B&W photos from the Smokies:

intothemountans by uofmtiger, on Flickr

Little Old Church By The Road by uofmtiger, on Flickr

Old Country Church by uofmtiger, on Flickr

18. Likes TheBreezyBB , BBK.. wishes they had posted this first.
    Dedicated Member

That bottom one rocks. So much atmosphere to it. Fantastic work!

Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    took this yesterday when doing some food shopping

"Guns for Show, Knives for Pro"

Forum Guru
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    It's a shame you live half the world away from me. I used to detail cars professionally, and I would LOVE the chance to give that a proper detail job.

Can you even tell what color (colour) my car is?

That looks absolutely fantastic matey

Cant beat a good detail. Reminds me when I had my Evo VII detailed before a photoshoot.
    Here's the thread when it was done: http://lancerregister.com/showthread...&highlight=gaz

I wouldn't like to guess on the colour, Midnight purple or getting on for a black?

Latest pic for the thread today is some pics from my Niece's 2nd birthday which was a pirate theme:

pirate.jpg

And just so you know this isn't our usual look
    Here's a normal pic:

normal.jpg

Great day but shattered after running around with the kids

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by SupraGaz View Post

I wouldn't like to guess on the colour, Midnight purple or getting on for a black?
    Ford Kona Blue...

Forum Sage

This is why a smart phone camera will never replace a proper DSLR.

How much money would you have to spend to get a shot of the moon like that? I only glanced at it to begin with but when you stare at it for a while you can notice so much detail

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374528851.825322.jpg
    A bee decided to join me

BBK. Tapatalking.
    Last edited by BBK..; 07-22-2013 at 22:40.

Forum Sage

Sorry, double post.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    How much money would you have to spend to get a shot of the moon like that? I only glanced at it to begin with but when you stare at it for a while you can notice so much detail
    Surprisingly little, relatively speaking.

I'm teaching my daughter using my old Canon EOS Rebel T3 which was sold as the 1100D in the UK. It costs about £279.00. The lens I am using is the Canon EF 75-300 f4-5.6 III telephoto lens which costs £124.99 and a remote shutter timer which only cost £12. Add in a tripod and that's pretty much it.

She's still overexposing the pictures a touch, otherwise you would see even more detail than that. Likewise if I let her use my higher res 18MP T4i instead of the old 10.8MP T3 it would show more detail as well. Still, I'm impressed with how quickly she's picking it up. These are full manual shots, she's choosing the ISO, Aperature, Shutter Speed, and setting the focus all by herself.
    Last edited by Completely Average; 07-23-2013 at 03:59.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    I'm doing dance events photography now days and this is the latest show i shot

DSC04899-Edit by IB-photography [ AWAY ], on Flickr

DSC04921-Edit by IB-photography [ AWAY ], on Flickr

DSC05381-Edit by IB-photography [ AWAY ], on Flickr

27. Likes berts08 wishes they had posted this first.
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Out playing golf with a mate the other day

Me getting ready

Me on my swing

Forum Sage

Surprisingly little, relatively speaking.

I'm teaching my daughter using my old Canon EOS Rebel T3 which was sold as the 1100D in the UK. It costs about £279.00. The lens I am using is the Canon EF 75-300 f4-5.6 III telephoto lens which costs £124.99 and a remote shutter timer which only cost £12. Add in a tripod and that's pretty much it.

She's still overexposing the pictures a touch, otherwise you would see even more detail than that. Likewise if I let her use my higher res 18MP T4i instead of the old 10.8MP T3 it would show more detail as well. Still, I'm impressed with how quickly she's picking it up. These are full manual shots, she's choosing the ISO, Aperature, Shutter Speed, and setting the focus all by herself.

That is a lot more reasonable than i first thought it would be. I know nothing of cameras and the most experience I have is with cameras built into phones.

Obviously this question can't really be answered but how difficult would it be for someone like me who is a complete novice at taking photos to start getting shots like that?

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    That is a lot more reasonable than i first thought it would be. I know nothing of cameras and the most experience I have is with cameras built into phones.
    Entry level DSLRs are fairly cheap, and unlike many other forms of tech you don't need the latest and greatest to take great pictures.

For an entry level DSLR I would recommend either Canon or Nikon. Even their cheapest DSLRs take pictures that could be considered professional quality. If you get good enough that you feel you need a better camera stick to the same brand and all of your lenses should work on the new camera just like the old one. (I use the same lenses on my T3 and T4i)

Obviously this question can't really be answered but how difficult would it be for someone like me who is a complete novice at taking photos to start getting shots like that?
    Very easily.

First I would recommend reading the book "Understanding Exposure 3rd Edition" by Bryan Peterson.

It's very well written as a beginners guide to taking great pictures and includes lots of example photos so you can see the results of what is being discussed. It's easy to understand and doesn't come off as some dry technical manual that you have to force yourself to read.

Once you've read that it's simply a matter of getting the camera and putting it to use. At first the number of features and options on a DSLR may seem overwhelming, but the book will help you realize that most of those features and options are things you'll rarely or possibly never use.

As far as getting a camera, like I said, I would recommend an entry level Canon or Nikon. These will give you a solid camera to work with that will take pictures that you can be really proud of, and should you feel like stepping up to a higher level later they offer an easy path to upgrading since the same lenses will work on the better cameras. If you're going to get serious, there are a few other things I would recommend.

This would be what I would call a good starter kit....

* Entry level Canon or Nikon DSLR with standard lens. (Usually an 18-55mm)
    * At least one telephoto lens that goes up to a minimum of 250mm.
    * A basic lens filter kit. --- This would include a UV filter, Polarized filter, and an FLD (Fluorescent Lighting) filter. The UV and Polarized will be very useful in bright daylight outdoor shots, the FLD is for indoors where fluorescent lighting can alter the appearance of colors.
    * A Lens Hood. ---- Cheap piece of plastic cone that works like a baseball cap keeping the sun from shining directly in the lens when you take pictures.
    * Tripod. ---- Especially if you're taking astral shots of the moon and stars. Anytime the shutter is open for a long time you want that camera to be motionless. A tripod is the only way to do it.
    * Remote Shutter Timer. --- These are dirt cheap and extremely useful. They can allow you to do everything from a simple self portrait to time-lapse photography which can be made into a video.
    * Camera bag to hold it all in.

I would also suggest a macro lens as well if you're interested in taking extreme closeups.

However, unless you're taking EXTREME closeups, you can probably get by without the marco lens. You can often get a similar effect from standing back and using a telephoto lens instead. You won't get the extremely close shots, but you can get close.

The biggest thing to understand is that the camera really isn't complicated. At the basic level a brand new DSLR still works exactly the same way as old pinhole cameras from the late 1800s. That's where the book comes in. It will teach you the "exposure pyramid", Aperture (How much light your camera lets in), ISO (Setting that controls the sensitivity to light), and Shutter Speed.
    Once you learn what they are and understand how each effects the other, that's all you need to get started. After that the rest all sort of falls into place as you gain experience.
    Last edited by Completely Average; 07-23-2013 at 18:32.

Thread Information