Latest PSU headlines:

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83

Do you think the hardware difference will make PS exclusives noticeably better?

The title says it all...well almost.
    So what do you guys think in terms of raw graphical power that each console will beable to produce?
    Will PS4's raw power and GDDR5 out shine Xbox's cloud and ESram?
    Will MS triple OS make there games suffer due to only allowing for 5 gigs of ram as opposed to PS 7 gigs?
    Will that 2 gigs really make a difference?
    Anyone have any evidence that supports either console in this area?
    What do you think?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I think PS4 exclusives will definitely look better. Most 3rd party will probably shoot for console parity unless of course Jack Trettons statement about 3rd party telling him that their games will look noticably better on the PS4 is true.

Forum Elder
    Based off the past I think first party games will look much better.

Multiplatform games seem to look the same or close but is don't think 3rd party devs will put forth extra effort or want to piss is MS by making the ps4 shine.

Sonys first party devs always have shined and those are for the most part the only games I buy

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    I think PS4 exclusives will definitely look better. Most 3rd party will probably shoot for console parity unless of course Jack Trettons statement about 3rd party telling him that their games will look noticably better on the PS4 is true.
    Tretton did say that didnt he?
    I hope it will make a difference, or they wasted money on more expensive ram.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEST SUBJECT 83 View Post
    Tretton did say that didnt he? I hope it will make a difference, or they wasted money on more expensive ram.
    I wouldn't say that. Sony will have lots of exclusives that will really show off what the PS4 can do so I definitely wouldn't say Sony wasted money on better hardware. And there wont be any early gen 3rd party porting problems this time.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    I wouldn't say that. Sony will have lots of exclusives that will really show off what the PS4 can do so I definitely wouldn't say Sony wasted money on better hardware. And there wont be any early gen 3rd party porting problems this time.
    Your right, bad choice of words on my part.
    Hearing me say that out loud I realize how dumb it sounds.
    Of course they wont waste money on better hardware.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by TEST SUBJECT 83 View Post
    The title says it all...well almost.
    So what do you guys think in terms of raw graphical power that each console will beable to produce?
    Will PS4's raw power and GDDR5 out shine Xbox's cloud and ESram?
    Will MS triple OS make there games suffer due to only allowing for 5 gigs of ram as opposed to PS 7 gigs?
    Will that 2 gigs really make a difference?
    Anyone have any evidence that supports either console in this area?
    What do you think?
    First of all, everything so far about the internal architectures of the devices is still up in the air. Everything stated so far (and on multiple threads) have been purely speculative. So it's extremely difficult to say.

That said, the Sony first party dev's have done masterful jobs at getting the most out of past architectures advantages. I'd expect that to continue. A few items have been released regarding the GPU's flexibility to perform Asynchronous Complex Operations that at this time appear to be an advantage based on speculations of MS GPU - but we really don't have details to say what it can do.

The GDDR5 over DDR3 is an advantage in general, but we really need to know the L3/L2/L1 Caching architectures/sizes/bus widths - Any Prefetching architectures - Any large eSRAM sizes (is it acting as an L3 mem or shared L2?) Are these Octo-ported (i.e. can be accesses by all eight cores simultaneously or is there some splitting up into multiple blocks that can be accessed independently....

Many many many questions left to be answered regarding this. Both sides claim that their secret sauce added is better. The fact is we don't know, we only speculate.

That said, I'll say I have more faith in Sony being able to develop a better architecture than MS. Sony figured out that over-complicating the sandbox was a bad thing as only the cream of the crop could master an overly complex processor, but that didn't mean they don't know device architectures and how to optimize internal memories and switch fabrics, and extra capabilities to GPUs.

So I'll speculate that Sony developed a better APU w/ AMD than what MS did, and if so, then yes we'll see a major difference.

That said, much of what's been suggested (and what you've posted) have been speculations not specifications and until Sony and MS release the details we will only be able to speculate.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    jhuff
    Well, we already know that there are more compute units and more shaders available on the PS4 which are a definite advantage. I don't think that devs WON'T take advantage of this because "they don't want to piss MS off" anymore than they put in all the extra effort they needed to to make multi-platform games run well on the PS3 early in it's lifecycle.

I think there will be a difference. Obviously, the first party games will showcase the power advantage but with multi-platforms there will still be a difference, just a bit more subtle. Smoother running, higher internal resolution, more particle and other effects. All of those are things that can be done relatively easily but that will take advantage of the more powerful hardware. Basically it will be similar to how the 360 had the better running multi-plats this generation, but in reverse.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time give to you....
    http://www.woodchuckproductions.net

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    ANDYENG
    I don't think the 3rd party games will look much different. Some games this gen had a differences but I don't think anyone really cared.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    jhuff
    Quote Originally Posted by A1ANDY View Post
    I don't think the 3rd party games will look much different. Some games this gen had a differences but I don't think anyone really cared.
    Well, I think people cared. Some of the early PS3 ports were almost unplayable. Take a look at Fallout and Skyrim as well. Major issues. I don't think there will be those kinds of issues this generation, but I do think it will show in native internal resolution, amount of particle and other effects and probably framerate in some titles. Not like it was in the early 360/PS3 days though where one version is flat out not as fun to play as another...

All you have to decide is what to do with the time give to you....
    http://www.woodchuckproductions.net

Veteran
    I think it will make a difference, but we will have to wait and see until the consoles are finally out, for now we can only speculate.

Thread Information