Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by A1ANDY View Post
    I've only ever had problems with streaming services. My internet just isn't fast enough. Onlive lagged really bad when I used it guessing this is going to be the same for me.
    When i stream HD movies from Love Film, Netflix & Live they dont look anywhere near HD is that because of my poor internet connection at 13mb?

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    When i stream HD movies from Love Film, Netflix & Live they dont look anywhere near HD is that because of my poor internet connection at 13mb?
    Not all NEtflix movies and shows are in Super HD.

The ones that are look good (better than Onlive streams) and you will probably need at least 10Mbit to stream those otherwise it reverts to a lower setting.
    I notice they start off in 480 SD then it ramps upa s it detects your internet speed.

https://support.netflix.com/en/node/8731

Not tried Love film.
    Last edited by keefy; 07-14-2013 at 14:44.

Dedicated Member
    Gaikai will be limited MOSTLY by your Upload Speed if your Download Speed is decent.
    If you have 8MB or more down, your fine, but your sharing features could be slow on the way up.
    If you have really poor upload speed, then, that could affect controls.

If your the only one on and have an upload of over 2MB/s you should be 'fine'.
    Best will be more like 6MB/s up. I say this due to network realities.
    People on FiOS and Google Fiber will love life.
    People on Comcast, like myself, ant ATT's NOT FIOS U-Verse largely will be perfectly happy.

People on DSL are going to be in serious trouble frankly.

David Perry and the Gaikai crew, alot of who are also former Shiny Ent people, are very talented.
    I'm sure that ASIDE from making games run on servers remotely, they have done alot of research and development in computational computing of remote game objects, essentially 'all that jazz' MS has talked about online. So, we'll see alot of influence from Gaikai that might not necessarily make the press.

Dedicated Member
    im not buying into teh cloud hype for now. ms' implementation of cloud as well as sony's gaikai are both gimmicks to me, for now (until proven otherwise).

Supreme Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    Gaikai will be limited MOSTLY by your Upload Speed if your Download Speed is decent.
    If you have 8MB or more down, your fine, but your sharing features could be slow on the way up.
    If you have really poor upload speed, then, that could affect controls.

If your the only one on and have an upload of over 2MB/s you should be 'fine'.
    Best will be more like 6MB/s up. I say this due to network realities.
    People on FiOS and Google Fiber will love life.
    People on Comcast, like myself, ant ATT's NOT FIOS U-Verse largely will be perfectly happy.

People on DSL are going to be in serious trouble frankly.

David Perry and the Gaikai crew, alot of who are also former Shiny Ent people, are very talented.
    I'm sure that ASIDE from making games run on servers remotely, they have done alot of research and development in computational computing of remote game objects, essentially 'all that jazz' MS has talked about online. So, we'll see alot of influence from Gaikai that might not necessarily make the press.
    Upload speed is less important. You will only be sending a few kilobytes per second at most.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    jhuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    Wow. 13MB should be just fine. I think "super HD" only takes about 8-10MB. Is there anything else going on in the background or at the same time that might be eating up 2-4MB of your bandwidth? Then again, you need CONSISTENT bandwidth at that level to really enjoy movie streaming so that might be the issue.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time give to you....
    http://www.woodchuckproductions.net

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Upload speed is less important. You will only be sending a few kilobytes per second at most.
    I was thinking more about using the Share feature and the speed of uploading your video. Some people are gonna upload a few minutes of video. Also, upload speed suffers latency issues on cable systems due to the topological issues and generally low priority placed on upload speed QoS by the ISP's.
    Upload is less important until it's not fast enough, then your controls get high latency and your teleporting around a cloud title aimlessly.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jphuff View Post
    Wow. 13MB should be just fine. I think "super HD" only takes about 8-10MB. Is there anything else going on in the background or at the same time that might be eating up 2-4MB of your bandwidth? Then again, you need CONSISTENT bandwidth at that level to really enjoy movie streaming so that might be the issue.
    I have Amazon in the US and they are getting pickier about t heir HD streams. Love Flim is the EU Amazon service, correct? I have 20MB down and sometimes... yeah. Also, during the evenings, you rarely get your advertised best speed.

Supreme Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    I was thinking more about using the Share feature and the speed of uploading your video. Some people are gonna upload a few minutes of video. Also, upload speed suffers latency issues on cable systems due to the topological issues and generally low priority placed on upload speed QoS by the ISP's.
    Upload is less important until it's not fast enough, then your controls get high latency and your teleporting around a cloud title aimlessly.
    Guessing 10KB/second max for "controls" and I guess the PS4 will either pause uploading a clip or do it at a slow speed when in game so not to saturate someone crappy connection.

How much is an unlimited data plan at 60Mbit?
    Last edited by keefy; 07-14-2013 at 21:34.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    im not buying into teh cloud hype for now. ms' implementation of cloud as well as sony's gaikai are both gimmicks to me, for now (until proven otherwise).
    The GREAT news is that Gaikai already was a PC service and IT WORKED REALLY WELL.
    I can tell you that Gaikai works, and SONY spent their money wisely for what they want to do.

Another advantage is that the PS1 and PS2 titles are going to all be low Rez and will zip across Gaikai, the PS3 titles even will alot of times be 720P. MOST PC titles that came across it were at 768p or higher. So, aside from installing the SONY game servers (which i'm sure IBM is still real happy about, that means server farms of Cell Processors), their history of already delivering this spot on makes this something to be quite positive about (and I'm usually grumpy!).

Veteran
    I think it will require plenty of bandwidth to even run the game properly without any lag and at least 720p, at least for the PS3 game library. I might try Gaikai if it's included in the PS Plus subscription, don't intend on spending some extra buck for a Gaikai sub and also paying a bit more for a boost on my internet connection if it's not good enough.

Thread Information