Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 60
  1. #26
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    32,267
    Rep Power
    197
    Points
    130,071 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    not to mention, massive games aren't even possible without dedicated servers. i'd say just about all games that focus on online play will likely be massive next gen. we can't progress without these superior servers.

  2. #27
    Apprentice
    B18DelSolT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Hartford
    PSN ID
    GreenBeret
    Age
    29
    Posts
    374
    Rep Power
    56
    Points
    593 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by jphuff View Post
    So if you're still getting terrible performance today on your 360 or PS3, this new "cloud" from Microsoft isn't going to change things for you. You can have the fastest server in the world that you're connecting to, but if your network connection is a garden hose instead of a firehose, your performance will still be subpar. Sorry to be a downer, just want to correct this belief in a "magical cloud" that MS keeps espousing to draw people to them when folk don't truly understand what it is!

    Take care,
    Couldn't be said any better. Your only as strong as your weakest link mate

    /
    //M3

  3. #28
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    281 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by B18DelSolT View Post
    Couldn't be said any better. Your only as strong as your weakest link mate
    Your weakest link is more often a poor ping from a distant P2P host so this point isn't as valid in modern online gaming.

  4. #29
    Master Poster
    TheBreezyBB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Qatar
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,475
    Rep Power
    86
    Points
    18,170 (0 Banked)
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    This is the worst reasoning i have ever heard!!




  5. Likes HellsJester , KungMartin90 likes this post
  6. #30
    Elite Member
    D3seeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Severn, Maryland
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Posts
    1,837
    Rep Power
    55
    Points
    1,994 (20,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 Slim
    Sounds like someone may be buying into this 'dedicated server business a little too much, without thinking logically about whats going on here. Only a few games have mentioned it, probably because they are helping push this but lets be honest, most games do have their own servers of proper set-up (despite a few recent fumbles by those I shall not name for not having enough) you can't expect magic here.


  7. #31
    Elite Member
    K2D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,966
    Rep Power
    71
    Points
    13,277 (0 Banked)
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Yeah, I would'nt buy into cloud talk if I were too decide on one or the other. It's the worst use buzz words I've seen in the industry in a long time.

  8. #32
    Superior Member
    jphuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    PSN ID
    jhuff
    Posts
    854
    Rep Power
    61
    Points
    12,061 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by siulimtao108 View Post
    The Division has Dedicated Servers on PS4, as well as Drive Club, so far. I think Battlefield and some others are thinking allowing user-run, like PC gamers are used to. I think Planetside 2 has DS for each area.

    But, all in all, on both systems... it is going to be the same for both consoles:

    Only those games whose devs can afford to / are willing to pay for the use of those servers will have them. They may be a little cheaper on the Microsoft side. But some devs with big money still won't do it (Call Of Duty?) regardless.

    But, I wonder if Microsoft will have certain requirements for that discount? I'm sure they won't let devs rent -- to give a simplistic example -- say 4 servers from them.. and use 2 servers for their X1 version and 2 servers for their PS4 version. Lol. So, what's the catch with the azure discount MS is offering???

    Maybe this is a diff issue. But, I look at their indie policies for example and MS has no self-pub, you have to go through one of their channels and they're going to release it when they want and how they want.

    Sony, you just need to tweet Shahid, send in your paperwork and discuss your strategy (self pub, let them help you get a pub, pub it through Sony, or try to get some funds through the Indie Dev Fund)... because every indie is seen as a dev.

    Semi- Off-topic, but It just makes me wonder if MS is going to require some kind of exclusivity, in exchange for that discount.

    The servers MS is putting in place is part of their "Azure" program. Google it and you can find the link where YOU can go buy space, etc. yourself. This is a clever business move on Microsoft's part. This way they can make money on the licensing for the games and then make money on the back end from developers for the server space/time that the games use.

    All you have to decide is what to do with the time give to you....
    http://www.woodchuckproductions.net

  9. #33
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    281 (0 Banked)
    It's apparent by some of the responses that most here have never played on dedicated servers before and are speaking out of their proverbial ***.

  10. #34
    Master Guru
    Fon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    @Home
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,141
    Rep Power
    79
    Points
    113,212 (10,000 Banked)
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicheretic View Post
    It's apparent by some of the responses that most here have never played on dedicated servers before and are speaking out of their proverbial ***.
    I have, it's nothing special really but that's mainly due to the fact that I rarely play online games. If you're a dedicated and competitive player then I can see your reasoning for wanting, Xbox One over Playstation 4.







  11. #35
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    167
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fon View Post
    I have, it's nothing special really but that's mainly due to the fact that I rarely play online games. If you're a dedicated and competitive player then I can see your reasoning for wanting, Xbox One over Playstation 4.
    I agree. Xbox has always been more about the multiplayer experience and Playstation more about the singleplayer experience.

  12. #36
    Dedicated Member
    Demi_God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Icy hot of the north
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Posts
    1,426
    Rep Power
    18
    Points
    7,913 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    A lot of people make a disappointing assumption that dedicated is 100% lag free. That isn't the case and very far from it. It still has lag issues and the only thing I'm seeing different here is the name. Just because it's dedicated doesn't mean anything. Infact all the games I like use dedicated servers and the only game I still do play that doesn't is Call of Duty. As far as Azure goes, it's just a name among other dedicated servers out there in the world. Unless I am connected with Google fiber or any fiber optic to get GB/sec instead of MB, I don't see this is a main reason to buy the Xbox One.

    As far as competitive online goes, it won't be stuck to just Xbox One and it's not going to be the main system when these new consoles come out. People are just going to have to get over that factor. Sony is moving up, so is MS....it doesn't mean anything when they are both going to be right up there in terms of competitive play. Along with Sony and their mmo style of games. They are right there already in terms of competitive online. honestly no reason to say otherwise.
    Last edited by Demi_God; 08-07-2013 at 19:48.

  13. #37
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    32,267
    Rep Power
    197
    Points
    130,071 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    ^I disagree complete.

    and One isn't the only one with dedicated servers. also, all multiplat games that feature it, will have dedicated servers for both consoles. certain massive games can't work without it.

  14. #38
    Ultimate Veteran
    AaronSOLDIER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Age
    22
    Posts
    20,826
    Rep Power
    119
    Points
    70,238 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicheretic View Post
    I was considering a PS4 pre-order until I found discussion about XBox One dedicated server support. I have done some PC gaming on dedicated servers and live in a smaller place in Canada where lag is unacceptable on my XBox 360 and PS3 for online gaming. I will wait until I see how well dedicated servers are implemented and the amount of titles using them by both consoles before deciding on one. So far MS looks to have the lead in this area with Titanfall at least making use of them. COD on dedicated servers would be a dream come true!
    Isn't this the whole point of having to pay for PSN now? (not really because most developers will just use their own servers anyway like they already do).

    Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

  15. #39
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    32,267
    Rep Power
    197
    Points
    130,071 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    do you know for sure that "most" will be putting up their own servers?

    if so, i'm guessing if they don't need dedicated servers, they'd just opt for regular servers.

    but then it makes no sense to me why they wouldn't just let Sony sort it out when they have to sometimes rent it themselves.

    If Sony is already offering unified services (even if they need regular servers), it would be odd to do this. maybe for very low budget titles but i don't really see this to be a "most" thing.

    logically going with Sony should be cheaper than going to a third party (or more quality with Sony) and should be slightly more expensive than putting it up yourself, especially if you already have the setup. i would expect this to be rare, like i said earlier maybe small titles or maybe niche titles.

  16. #40
    Veteran
    Saigon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NA
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    Posts
    4,977
    Rep Power
    79
    Points
    33,954 (0 Banked)
    Am I wrong to look at the information regarding the 300K servers to be meh, at best. I didn't see it as a big deal, but maybe I am not looking at the reality of the situation.

  17. #41
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    32,267
    Rep Power
    197
    Points
    130,071 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    are you saying dedicated servers are 300K or ones specific to One or PS4 or are you talking about regular ones?

    i thought dedicated servers had a lot more bandwidth.

  18. #42
    Ultimate Veteran
    AaronSOLDIER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Age
    22
    Posts
    20,826
    Rep Power
    119
    Points
    70,238 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    do you know for sure that "most" will be putting up their own servers?
    I'm basing that assumption on XBL-360 where most 3rd party games use their own servers just like the PSN-PS3 servers and some even use P2P. It'll probably be the same next gen for both, Sony and MS aren't gonna pay for the upkeep of games' servers, especially niche ones, when it's not their own game.

    P2P games online should be free period.

    Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

  19. #43
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    32,267
    Rep Power
    197
    Points
    130,071 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    I'm basing that assumption on XBL-360 where most 3rd party games use their own servers just like the PSN-PS3 servers and some even use P2P.
    I don't know what the difference between P2P servers and regular servers are...because I'm pretty sure you still need a server to host a P2P. maybe regular servers mean that they just host P2P.

    3rd party or anyone did not have to setup their own servers, they all went through MS. I don't see how it'll be different this time around.

    It'll probably be the same next gen for both, Sony and MS aren't gonna pay for the upkeep of games' servers, especially niche ones, when it's not their own game.
    MS doesn't pay for it and Sony won't have to pay for it, in fact, as MS has been doing, they will both make money off it too because they will get money from us and from devs.

    for devs, that's also a good thing, which is why this makes sense at this point, as we're going forward with dedicated servers.

    P2P games online should be free period.
    yea i agree. however, even if next-gen didn't have any dedicated servers, the small advantage is that the quality of servers (meaning crashing and stuff) won't occur here that they otherwise would with other rented ones.

  20. #44
    Ultimate Veteran
    AaronSOLDIER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Age
    22
    Posts
    20,826
    Rep Power
    119
    Points
    70,238 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I don't know what the difference between P2P servers and regular servers are...because I'm pretty sure you still need a server to host a P2P. maybe regular servers mean that they just host P2P.
    P2P means that everyone is connected to a host player, which is how small indie devs can set up and keep up the online on their games, for example Worms that released in 2007 is still online because it's costing them next to nothing. I guess there's a server you connect to initially, but gameplay is all P2P, which is something you really shouldn't have to pay for.

    3rd party or anyone did not have to setup their own servers, they all went through MS. I don't see how it'll be different this time around.
    What do you mean? EA for example own and maintain their own servers for sports games, both the PS3 and 360 use the same servers, they're just cut off from playing each other but the servers are the same, the only difference is PS3 players don't pay anything but 360 players do.

    MS doesn't pay for it and Sony won't have to pay for it, in fact, as MS has been doing, they will both make money off it too because they will get money from us and from devs.
    Yep, the $60 that we initially pay, plus the $10 or so for the "DLC" aka cut content because we want to make more money from you after you bought the game, just isn't enough lol

    for devs, that's also a good thing, which is why this makes sense at this point, as we're going forward with dedicated servers.
    $100 bet that we still see regular servers next gen that we are paying to access.

    Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

  21. #45
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    32,267
    Rep Power
    197
    Points
    130,071 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    P2P means that everyone is connected to a host player, which is how small indie devs can set up and keep up the online on their games, for example Worms that released in 2007 is still online because it's costing them next to nothing. I guess there's a server you connect to initially, but gameplay is all P2P, which is something you really shouldn't have to pay for.
    oh it costs them something. otherwise codemasters wouldn't have "lost the contract" and shut down Grid servers.

    What do you mean? EA for example own and maintain their own servers for sports games, both the PS3 and 360 use the same servers, they're just cut off from playing each other but the servers are the same, the only difference is PS3 players don't pay anything but 360 players do.
    do you have proof of this? what do you mean that they're the same servers? how could you possibly know where the servers are?

    Yep, the $60 that we initially pay, plus the $10 or so for the "DLC" aka cut content because we want to make more money from you after you bought the game, just isn't enough lol
    No, it isn't. I know this sounds ridiculous but gaming is becoming bigger than movies in some ways. we're already hiring hollywood actors, more recently really high ranking ones too. the more detail the games will take going next-gen, the more money and time it will take.
    $100 bet that we still see regular servers next gen that we are paying to access.
    yea i don't think all games will have dedicated servers, that was my short-sightedness. most will still be P2P but they will be better kept.

  22. #46
    Veteran
    UkHardcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Age
    34
    Posts
    4,156
    Rep Power
    67
    Points
    4,804 (0 Banked)
    EA are the only company to use thier own servers for 360 games! (bar any dedicated) Not remember EA would not publish any games on 360 due to MS forcing them to use their servers. MS gave in so EA started making games...But apart from them everyone ran on Live servers hence why we see game servers getting shut off on Sony's side but never on MS Live servers.
    Forza 5, Fifa 14, Battlefield 4 & Watchdogs - The Perfect Launch Line Up!

  23. #47
    Ultimate Veteran
    AaronSOLDIER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Age
    22
    Posts
    20,826
    Rep Power
    119
    Points
    70,238 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    What do you mean getting bigger VA? We had the likes of Bruce Willis, Samuel L Jackson, Ray Liotta, Sean Bean etc. for years now. Publishers are just getting greedier and that's about it. The cost of PC games hasn't risen, Sony and MS have just gotten greedier for their royalties is all.

    Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

  24. #48
    Elite Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    10,212
    Rep Power
    79
    Points
    64,749 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Saigon View Post
    Am I wrong to look at the information regarding the 300K servers to be meh, at best. I didn't see it as a big deal, but maybe I am not looking at the reality of the situation.
    300,000 servers is quite an accomplishment. It will make a difference next gen.

  25. #49
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    8,595
    Rep Power
    111
    Points
    72,239 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicheretic View Post
    It's apparent by some of the responses that most here have never played on dedicated servers before and are speaking out of their proverbial ***.
    So people disagree with you and this is how you respond? Nice sixth post, pal.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  26. #50
    Dedicated Member
    Demi_God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Icy hot of the north
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Posts
    1,426
    Rep Power
    18
    Points
    7,913 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    ^I disagree complete.

    and One isn't the only one with dedicated servers. also, all multiplat games that feature it, will have dedicated servers for both consoles. certain massive games can't work without it.
    So you disagree with everything I said. You believe that dedicated servers are 100% lag free as well as Xbox One being the only competitive platform? LOL yeesh, okay.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.