Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast

Why I didn't preorder and may buy XB1 instead.

I was considering a PS4 pre-order until I found discussion about XBox One dedicated server support. I have done some PC gaming on dedicated servers and live in a smaller place in Canada where lag is unacceptable on my XBox 360 and PS3 for online gaming. I will wait until I see how well dedicated servers are implemented and the amount of titles using them by both consoles before deciding on one. So far MS looks to have the lead in this area with Titanfall at least making use of them. COD on dedicated servers would be a dream come true!

Flaw3d Genius
    Well Sony have confirmed dedicated servers for Driveclub so it looks like both consoles are finally going down that route! Good times.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    I would wait and see just how many games use dedicated server. We got one game now but that could be the only one, could be only MS exclusive like Halo, could never be used. If that is the only reason better off waiting to see how many games actually use this feature.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

4. Likes Saigon likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    not every xbone game or ps4 game will even use dedicated servers. iam sure all frist party games will and maybe cod will use them

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin

You for real?

7. Likes DarkNemesis likes this post
    Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    not every xbone game or ps4 game will even use dedicated servers. iam sure all frist party games will and maybe cod will use them
    I think we'l see alot of devs hire Azure as it's supposed to be priced very well and saves hassle for the devs. Im not sure what Sonys equivalent is? Gaikai?

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    jhuff
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicheretic View Post
    I was considering a PS4 pre-order until I found discussion about XBox One dedicated server support. I have done some PC gaming on dedicated servers and live in a smaller place in Canada where lag is unacceptable on my XBox 360 and PS3 for online gaming. I will wait until I see how well dedicated servers are implemented and the amount of titles using them by both consoles before deciding on one. So far MS looks to have the lead in this area with Titanfall at least making use of them. COD on dedicated servers would be a dream come true!
    Just be aware that a lot of games RIGHT NOW use dedicated servers on the 360 and PS3. That will continue. The PS4 has had games announced that are using dedicated servers as well. The big difference being talked about by Microsoft is that they will sell dedicated virtual/cloud server space to devs for their games. That's servers that Microsoft administers versus the developer. Nothing real different here, devs just purchasing servers and units from Microsoft.

If I recall correctly, Sony has run servers for games in the past as well and developers definitely have servers setup for Playstation games when required. A game like Dark Souls on the other hand, is setup to just be peer to peer.

So if you're still getting terrible performance today on your 360 or PS3, this new "cloud" from Microsoft isn't going to change things for you. You can have the fastest server in the world that you're connecting to, but if your network connection is a garden hose instead of a firehose, your performance will still be subpar. Sorry to be a downer, just want to correct this belief in a "magical cloud" that MS keeps espousing to draw people to them when folk don't truly understand what it is!

Take care,

All you have to decide is what to do with the time give to you....
    http://www.woodchuckproductions.net

10. Likes D3seeker, B18DelSolT, VayMasters86 likes this post
    Forum Overseer

i think dedicated servers will be part of Live/PS+ so it is possible that just about all games may end up using it. i don't know how much it costs to go down this route but i'm guessing that the dedicated server might be a requirement set by MS/Sony this time around. Thus why they want to charge us for online play.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    #CSB
    #popcorn
    Be Together - Not the same.

Banned

I don't think dedicated servers are a reason to choose one console over the other....... but I guess we all have our own personal priorities I suppose.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    bat0nas_LT
    Does bf3 have dedicated servers?

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Quote Originally Posted by bat0nas View Post
    Does bf3 have dedicated servers?
    Yes.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    bat0nas_LT
    Quote Originally Posted by XtraTrstrL View Post
    Yes.
    On both platforms? Xbox360 and ps3?

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Yes.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    bat0nas_LT
    Quote Originally Posted by XtraTrstrL View Post
    Yes.
    So whats the problem? All AAA games have dedicated servers. Right?

PS4 wont be an exception.

Cod... well.. this is different story..

The Division has Dedicated Servers on PS4, as well as Drive Club, so far. I think Battlefield and some others are thinking allowing user-run, like PC gamers are used to. I think Planetside 2 has DS for each area.

But, all in all, on both systems... it is going to be the same for both consoles:

Only those games whose devs can afford to / are willing to pay for the use of those servers will have them. They may be a little cheaper on the Microsoft side. But some devs with big money still won't do it (Call Of Duty?) regardless.

But, I wonder if Microsoft will have certain requirements for that discount? I'm sure they won't let devs rent -- to give a simplistic example -- say 4 servers from them.. and use 2 servers for their X1 version and 2 servers for their PS4 version. Lol. So, what's the catch with the azure discount MS is offering???

Maybe this is a diff issue. But, I look at their indie policies for example and MS has no self-pub, you have to go through one of their channels and they're going to release it when they want and how they want.

Sony, you just need to tweet Shahid, send in your paperwork and discuss your strategy (self pub, let them help you get a pub, pub it through Sony, or try to get some funds through the Indie Dev Fund)... because every indie is seen as a dev.

Semi- Off-topic, but It just makes me wonder if MS is going to require some kind of exclusivity, in exchange for that discount.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Well, yeah, COD could have dedicated servers on X1 while having regular matchmaking on PS4. It'd just turn me off from COD altogether, it's just got so much going against it already, and it hardly looks next gen to begin with, that would be the nail in the coffin to the series for me.

There's other types of games, like sports and fighting games I suppose, like SSFIV and such that usually use matchmaking, that could end up using dedicated servers on X1. Sony seems to not be anywhere near as greedy as Microsoft though, so they might be implementing something similar, using the income they'll make from all the new PS+ subscribers. Microsoft waited until they pocketed tons and tons of profit from Xbox Live before bringing these 300,000 servers. Sony will be happy just to have the huge increase in revenue, and will be more willing to spend it on upgrades and such right out the gate, partially because it'll be necessary to compete at a high level with Xbox Live.

So, I won't be surprised to see many more dedicated servers on PS4 also.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    FonFahbre
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicheretic View Post
    Well if you're more into Call of Duty than I can't see a problem with you choosing the Xbox One for servers. As far as I know, Playstation 4 games will also support dedicated servers but I can't comment on Call of Duty: Ghosts.

Dedicated Member
    buy whatever you must. your money and you are the best judge on how to spend it.

Ultimate Veteran
    Error 404: The care could not be found.

24. Likes John Willaford, John25 , Fon , Captncoke49 likes this post
    Forum Overseer

honestly if PS+ does not come with dedicated server support (meaning, extra for dedicated servers) then it's somewhat pointless for me to justify its purchase for someone who may not care about the goodies. I'll obviously still buy it because it's required for online play but i won't be happy doing it.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    honestly if PS+ does not come with dedicated server support (meaning, extra for dedicated servers) then it's somewhat pointless for me to justify its purchase for someone who may not care about the goodies.
    That would imply that XBox live gold could be considered pointless as well since most games on 360 don't use dedicated servers for the actual gameplay.
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

Playstation Move for the win!

Here's an example of how poorly rented dedicated servers went over on consoles: http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/pos...-disappearing/ MS and Sony should provide them at nominal cost and require their use for developers this time around. So far it looks like MS has the better solution. If COD is not a triple AAA title/series, they don't exist.

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator 101 View Post
    That would imply that XBox live gold could be considered pointless as well since most games on 360 don't use dedicated servers for the actual gameplay.
    that's why i felt that it was pointless lol. but in some ways it's not that bad considering MS does keep all the servers...so until MS says they're out, they'll keep going. also they are better maintained than what developers keep them as. that's rarely an issue but generally at launch, Xbox servers do much better. i haven't seen the latest update on this but that's how it used to be a few years back.

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    I don't think dedicated servers are a reason to choose one console over the other....... but I guess we all have our own personal priorities I suppose.
    Depends if you mostly play online or not, I play online these days prob around 80% so dedicated servers is a massive deal for me.

Thread Information