Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 60
  1. #1
    Super Elite

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,388
    Rep Power
    68
    Points
    14,886 (0 Banked)

    Does PS4 use Blue Tooth? Radiation concerns

    I've been concerned about radiation from my PS3 controller for years now. I have a 3rd party controller that has a USB dongle that communicates to it via infrared but that controller has a massive dead zone in the middle of the controller and is pretty useless for most games that require good/accurate/fast control (it's okay for JRPG's). I'll be getting a PS4 but have the same concerns. Does it use Blue Tooth as well and does anyone know of a way to protect yourself from this radiation?

  2. #2
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,362
    Rep Power
    109
    Points
    68,346 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    PS4 used Bluetooth 2.1. Aside from wearing a hazmat suit, if you are that concerned you could turn off the Bluetooth and use an USB cable.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  3. Likes Wrath , Omar likes this post
  4. #3
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,750
    Rep Power
    192
    Points
    111,368 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    oh you're right! I never thought about it. it does reconnect so that implies that the blue-tooth wasn't on!

    yes, you can get longer usb cables for really cheap...probably from monoprice.com.

  5. #4
    Super Elite

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,388
    Rep Power
    68
    Points
    14,886 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    PS4 used Bluetooth 2.1. Aside from wearing a hazmat suit, if you are that concerned you could turn off the Bluetooth and use an USB cable.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not so concerned that I don't use my PS3 controller, I just prefer to have less radiation when at all possible. For example, I have a cell phone but almost always use my headset (wired not blue tooth) which reduces the amount of radiation to my head by the square of the distance. I also use WiFi but wish my router had a physical "off" button to use at night when there is zero need for it to be on. No way I'm logging into the router every night to turn it off and morning to turn it back on. In other words, I'm concerned about it because radiation is a cumulative over your lifetime thing but not so concerned that I'm a tinfoil hat guy.

    Is it possible to turn bluetooth off on the PS3?

  6. #5
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,362
    Rep Power
    109
    Points
    68,346 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Typical guy View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not so concerned that I don't use my PS3 controller, I just prefer to have less radiation when at all possible. For example, I have a cell phone but almost always use my headset (wired not blue tooth) which reduces the amount of radiation to my head by the square of the distance. I also use WiFi but wish my router had a physical "off" button to use at night when there is zero need for it to be on. No way I'm logging into the router every night to turn it off and morning to turn it back on. In other words, I'm concerned about it because radiation is a cumulative over your lifetime thing but not so concerned that I'm a tinfoil hat guy.

    Is it possible to turn bluetooth off on the PS3?
    I understand what you are saying. I was thinking Bluetooth could be turned off, but I'm not around my PS3. Googled it, but no definite answers that I can see. Maybe someone else can answer.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  7. #6
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,750
    Rep Power
    192
    Points
    111,368 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    i don't think so.

  8. #7
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,362
    Rep Power
    109
    Points
    68,346 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    i don't think so.
    You are correct. Just went through the settings on the playstation support site. No option for turning off bluetooth. But also saw some claims that are you getting more radiation from your tv than your controller. I don't know. Do I want to? Nah....ignorance is bliss.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  9. Likes NYFAN75, MartyRules likes this post
  10. #8
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,750
    Rep Power
    192
    Points
    111,368 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    hehe. these things do concern me as well. especially for my kid. it's sad that we live in a world now that can cure much more diseases and illnesses and yet we are creating more issues for ourselves at the same time.

  11. #9
    Elite Guru
    TAZ427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Age
    43
    Posts
    5,180
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    21,886 (0 Banked)
    Yes it uses BT, but BT is a very low power data transmission. Lower than WiFi and much much lower than your Cellphone.

    When the game console isn't active the BT isn't transmitting either. It sits there waiting for inputs and will react.

    The amount of power a WiFi router is putting out when inactive is minimal. It's only the ID broadcasts, which can be disabled when there's nothing else trying to communicate with it.

    All this said, the amount of radiation you're exposed to by this is much much lower than what we get from the Sun everyday.

    Hell, even the articles several years back about how there's been in increase in brain tumors in children has increased. I forget the exact numbers, but there was a spike from something like 50/yr to 70/yr in the US. What was funny was that there was a higher spike back in the late 70's before cellphones existed. But that data was ignored, and when the occurrence rates dropped back down it conveniently got swept under the rug.

    Back in the late 90's early 2000's when Cellphone usage was really picking up, there were stories and articles about how this and that cellphone exceeded the FDA and FCC allowances for radiation, ... What 20/20 and all the other shows didn't mention was that was ONLY when used on Analog Cell Phone Networks. Well folks, those are gone now and guess what, so are the 20/20 episodes heightening world paranoia about cell phones and their radiation.

    Now that we're in a world of plasma and LCDs we're probably getting less radiation from electronics today than what we did 20yrs ago.

    But there will always be some that pull out that old tin foil hat, even if they say they don't, and it's usually out of ignorance and do to media created hysteria.

    PS: Tin Foil won't protect you



  12. #10
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,750
    Rep Power
    192
    Points
    111,368 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    now that's a $#@!ing response. did not know any of that.

  13. #11
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,775
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    61,789 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I guess a PS3 and PS4 controller would be class 2 which according to wiki can transmit up to 10metres. Class 1 is up to 100metres.

  14. #12
    Apprentice
    B18DelSolT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Hartford
    PSN ID
    GreenBeret
    Age
    28
    Posts
    374
    Rep Power
    55
    Points
    582 (0 Banked)
    Neither did I, and I love how people will always hide something when it imposes on what they back.

    /
    //M3

  15. #13
    Elite Guru
    TAZ427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Age
    43
    Posts
    5,180
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    21,886 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I guess a PS3 and PS4 controller would be class 2 which according to wiki can transmit up to 10metres. Class 1 is up to 100metres.
    Yes, they're Class 2, which has a max power of a whopping 2.5mW IIRC. While your local Channel TV stations and radio stations are broadcasting > 100KW (don't worry that's only 40 million times the power, but it's a lot further away - unless it's in your back yard.) The typical energy the human body gets from Radio and TV broadcasts (TV has reduced it's broadcasting power in 1/2 in the US since going 100% digital, not sure around the world what drops if any where done) is much much higher than any BT you'd get from your PS3/PS4.



  16. #14
    Ultimate Veteran
    Lefein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    33
    Posts
    22,962
    Rep Power
    193
    Points
    107,327 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I live in Houston, so the amount of energy passing through my body at any given point is too much to worry about that. With that being said, if I lived somewhere rural, I might be tempted to cut off Bluetooth.

  17. #15
    Elite Guru
    Hedrush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,049
    Rep Power
    82
    Points
    2,198 (0 Banked)

    Does PS4 use Blue Tooth? Radiation concerns

    I wear this whilst I'm gaming. Just incase like

    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373912732.514365.jpg

    "Its better to keep your mouth shut and let everybody think you are an idiot. Than it is to open it and remove all doubt!!"

  18. #16
    Newbie
    Das Mookid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    PSN ID
    Das_Mookid
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    256 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Typical guy View Post
    For example, I have a cell phone but almost always use my headset (wired not blue tooth) which reduces the amount of radiation to my head by the square of the distance.
    Just FYI, using a plugged in headset actually *increases* your exposure compared to wireless, or even having the handset directly next to your face. The cable acts as a big old resonant dipole and re-radiates a ton of energy along your body, more than enough to offset the free space attenuation.

    Either way, given your excessive concern about this, I hope to James Maxwell you absolutely never go outside without sunscreen on. . . lol.

  19. #17
    Super Elite

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,388
    Rep Power
    68
    Points
    14,886 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Yes it uses BT, but BT is a very low power data transmission. Lower than WiFi and much much lower than your Cellphone.

    When the game console isn't active the BT isn't transmitting either. It sits there waiting for inputs and will react.

    The amount of power a WiFi router is putting out when inactive is minimal. It's only the ID broadcasts, which can be disabled when there's nothing else trying to communicate with it.

    All this said, the amount of radiation you're exposed to by this is much much lower than what we get from the Sun everyday.

    Hell, even the articles several years back about how there's been in increase in brain tumors in children has increased. I forget the exact numbers, but there was a spike from something like 50/yr to 70/yr in the US. What was funny was that there was a higher spike back in the late 70's before cellphones existed. But that data was ignored, and when the occurrence rates dropped back down it conveniently got swept under the rug.

    Back in the late 90's early 2000's when Cellphone usage was really picking up, there were stories and articles about how this and that cellphone exceeded the FDA and FCC allowances for radiation, ... What 20/20 and all the other shows didn't mention was that was ONLY when used on Analog Cell Phone Networks. Well folks, those are gone now and guess what, so are the 20/20 episodes heightening world paranoia about cell phones and their radiation.

    Now that we're in a world of plasma and LCDs we're probably getting less radiation from electronics today than what we did 20yrs ago.

    But there will always be some that pull out that old tin foil hat, even if they say they don't, and it's usually out of ignorance and do to media created hysteria.

    PS: Tin Foil won't protect you
    Interesting. Doesn't it matter that people play with a controller right up against them while a TV tower could be 20 miles away?


    Quote Originally Posted by Das Mookid View Post
    Just FYI, using a plugged in headset actually *increases* your exposure compared to wireless, or even having the handset directly next to your face. The cable acts as a big old resonant dipole and re-radiates a ton of energy along your body, more than enough to offset the free space attenuation.

    Either way, given your excessive concern about this, I hope to James Maxwell you absolutely never go outside without sunscreen on. . . lol.

    I don't think that's accurate.
    Last edited by Typical guy; 07-15-2013 at 21:58.

  20. #18
    Apprentice
    Smokin Joker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    PSN ID
    SmoknJokr
    Age
    44
    Posts
    404
    Rep Power
    48
    Points
    2,929 (0 Banked)
    I can do really nothing but lmao at this question... There are so many types of radiation blasting through body on a daily basis and worrying about the cell phones and Bluetooth is beyond obsessive and really pointless...

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

    Thanks to Spyrde for the sig/avy


  21. Likes Merchant likes this post
  22. #19
    Elite Guru
    TAZ427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Age
    43
    Posts
    5,180
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    21,886 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Typical guy View Post
    Interesting. Doesn't it matter that people play with a controller right up against them while a TV tower could be 20 miles away?
    Read the follow up a few posts later - This is Class 2 BT - 2.5mW. I've got 5 TV broadcasters and about 20 Radio Broadcasters where the TV broadcasters are at 160KW strength and the radio at 50KW strength each all within 10mi of where I live. I'd have to do the math for the energy per cm^2 for a total of 1.8MW of broadcasting power 10mi away vs 2.5mW right up next to me, but we're talking about close to 1Billion times the power when added up.

    To be honest my I've forgotten how to calculate the energy imparted due to RF at distances, but there are a lot of factors (haven't studied it since undergrad some 20 odd years ago.) That said, 2.5mW isn't crap, otherwise you'd be having the media go ape $#@! about people wearing BT headsets. Typical phone calls tend to be in the 200mW range in terms of transmission power FWIW. Which is much much lower than the Analog Cell phones ever consumed.



  23. #20
    overstepping the mark
    -Shafty-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Age
    40
    Posts
    8,423
    Rep Power
    132
    Points
    38,927 (10,700 Banked)
    Items User name style
    PS3- making superheroes/mutants since 07!


    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

  24. #21
    Elite Guru
    TAZ427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Age
    43
    Posts
    5,180
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    21,886 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Joker View Post
    I can do really nothing but lmao at this question... There are so many types of radiation blasting through body on a daily basis and worrying about the cell phones and Bluetooth is beyond obsessive and really pointless...

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    While I agree with this very few people have any real understanding of this and a lot of the information about it (especially from the media) is just plan half truths and innuendo. Which scares the living $#@! out of some people.



  25. #22
    Master Guru
    TDbank24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    6,778
    Rep Power
    68
    Points
    37,910 (0 Banked)
    The PS4 does it all. Of course it uses bluetooth.


  26. #23
    Newbie
    Das Mookid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    PSN ID
    Das_Mookid
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    256 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Typical guy View Post
    I don't think that's accurate.
    You think wrong.

    Common mode coupling from the device to the cable exterior is a very prevalent pitfall for emissions. These surface currents then re-radiate at the resonances of the cable length... Compared to the source antenna, little alone something even lower power like blue tooth, you have a a bigger problem.

    Not that it makes much difference, as has been pointed out to you in this thread, there are much larger sources of EM exposure all around you (like that big glowing thing in the sky lol).

  27. #24
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    357 (0 Banked)

    Radio is Not Radioactive

    Quote Originally Posted by Typical guy View Post
    I'm concerned about it because radiation is a cumulative over your lifetime
    You are confusing "ionizing radiation," such as radioactivity, with "electromagnetic radiation" or radio waves. Only ionizing radiation is thought to cause damage which can accumulate over time.

  28. Likes Jabjabs likes this post
  29. #25
    Superior Member
    WretchedSoul21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    586
    Rep Power
    67
    Points
    3,812 (0 Banked)
    LOL at this whole topic. I had no idea there were people out there so paranoid about blu-tooth and cell phone radiation. Hahaha. Seriously, don't you get way more radiation on a daily basis purely from SUNLIGHT then from your ps3 controller? And no, blu-tooth and cellphone radiation is not cumulative.

    Ionizing Radiation is the bad stuff and it causes atoms particles to be disrupted. Radioactive decay, nuclear reactions, from the Sun (ever get a sunburn?).

    Electromagnetic Radiation however is harmless. Radio Waves, Cell phones, Visible light, infrared light.

    You must also not fly commercially either of course. Since you're that high in the altitude you actually intake 10x the normal amount of radiation during the flight than if you were on the ground. And forget about going to the beach or being outside in the sun! You will take about 3x the radiation then if you were to stay indoors wearing your tin foil hat. Worrying about your blu-tooth, cell phone, and wifi really is beyond obsessive and pointless.
    Last edited by WretchedSoul21; 07-16-2013 at 08:10.
    "Bigfoot is blurry, that is the problem...it is not the photographers fault...Bigfoot is blurry and that is extra scary to me because there is an extra large out-of-focus creature roaming the countryside....Run he's fuzzy, get out of here" ~ Mitch Hedburg, RIP you crazy fool

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.