Page 1 of 6 1 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Counting Bro
    PSN ID
    gersfc
    Items Protect yourselfFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVAtlusTidusAuronFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII

Breath of Fire General Discussion Thread

These threads seem pretty popular so thought I'd make one to talk all things Breath of Fire.

Have just started BoF III and first impressions are pretty good. It has an old-school turn based battle system which I like. You can examine enemies and doing so you can learn enemy abilities, like the blue mages in FF.
    Storywise I haven't got very far at all but will be keep updating progress on here .

What's everyone else's opinion of the series? And which was the standout title in the series?
    PSN ID: gersfc

Twitter ID: gers_PSU
    Twitch ID: 19gers87
    Youtube Channel: gers87fc

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    What's this series about? Dragons??

3DS: 4613-6960-4293

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    Dragons certainly are in the game, yes. Learn that right off the bat, so it's not really a spoiler.

And Gersfc, I see you're starting early. Looks like I'll have some catching up to do on Wednesday night. Oh well. I can manage that. I've played the game twice before, so I certainly know what's coming. Make sure to keep us updated on your progress. I likely wont post as much as you and Rob did during your LoD playthrough, but I'll at least make sure to keep my daily progress updated.
    -FatesServant
    Fate: the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; the decreed cause of events.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    I started the searies when I picked up BoFIV randomly not knowing a single thing about the series (my was my first RPG). Loved the sh*t out of it. Bought and beat Dragon Quarter afterwards (BoF is clearly superior but I liked BoFV as well)

Bought IV last year from psn to relive those awesome memories. Haven't gotten around to start a playthrough yet.

From what I gather, BoFIII is the best of the series but it looks to dated for me to give it a go (dated visuals hinder my enjoyment)
    Last edited by Itachi; 07-16-2013 at 08:03.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    dbl

Counting Bro
    PSN ID
    gersfc
    Items Protect yourselfFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVAtlusTidusAuronFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII

Quote Originally Posted by FatesServant View Post
    Dragons certainly are in the game, yes. Learn that right off the bat, so it's not really a spoiler.

And Gersfc, I see you're starting early. Looks like I'll have some catching up to do on Wednesday night. Oh well. I can manage that. I've played the game twice before, so I certainly know what's coming. Make sure to keep us updated on your progress. I likely wont post as much as you and Rob did during your LoD playthrough, but I'll at least make sure to keep my daily progress updated.
    -FatesServant
    I ain't that far in to it, so you will catch up easily I'm sure. And sure thing bro, I'l just post updates as I progress and take it from there

Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    From what I gather, BoFIII is the best of the series but it looks to dated for me to give it a go (dated visuals hinder my enjoyment)

So shallow you the same with women? Lol just kidding man, I was the same with the early FF games. Forced myself through it though and enjoyed them
    Last edited by Gers; 07-16-2013 at 08:21.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Quote Originally Posted by Gersfc View Post
    So shallow you the same with women? Lol just kidding man, I was the same with the early FF games. Forced myself through it though and enjoyed them
    I might play it, its just that last year I played FFVII just to experience one of the best games ever made and every second of my 20+ hrs playthrough I felt pain in my heart because of the ugly visuals

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    I might play it, its just that last year I played FFVII just to experience one of the best games ever made and every second of my 20+ hrs playthrough I felt pain in my heart because of the ugly visuals
    Dang man, that's sad. Sad as in emotionally sad, not pitiful of low or shallow or anything like that. So many of the older games have the best and most memorable stories. Personally, outdated graphics used to bother me too. After PS2 was out for a bit, I had a really hard time going back and playing quite a few of the outdated PS1 titles. Fortunately, I remember losing that sensation completely when I picked up Ys: Ark of Napishtim for the PS2, which was one of the best and most memorable experiences I had on the PS2. Hopefully, the outdated graphics wont hurt your appreciation for the game too much. Best of luck.
    -FatesServant
    Fate: the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; the decreed cause of events.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Dang man, that's sad. Sad as in emotionally sad, not pitiful of low or shallow or anything like that. So many of the older games have the best and most memorable stories. Personally, outdated graphics used to bother me too. After PS2 was out for a bit, I had a really hard time going back and playing quite a few of the outdated PS1 titles. Fortunately, I remember losing that sensation completely when I picked up Ys: Ark of Napishtim for the PS2, which was one of the best and most memorable experiences I had on the PS2. Hopefully, the outdated graphics wont hurt your appreciation for the game too much. Best of luck.
    -FatesServant
    I still thought FFVII was one of the greatest RPGs I've played, just saying that the dated graphics are not something I completely ignore, that said sprite based games age better than spiky polygonal mess like psOne games.

Counting Bro
    PSN ID
    gersfc
    I still thought FFVII was one of the greatest RPGs I've played, just saying that the dated graphics are not something I completely ignore, that said sprite based games age better than spiky polygonal mess like psOne games.
    I get what you mean, but I still prefer the psOne graphics over the sprite ones. I notice it more when I'm flying around in an airship in the early FF games. Everywhere looks the same, it's hard to get your bearings and it can be a $#@! finding caves and dungeons from above.

Glad you enjoyed FF VII though, got good taste

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Only ever played IV and never completed it. All I can remember is the weird robot guy.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-12-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I got the first 2 on my phone played the first and I quite like it

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    Well, my D&D players bailed on me, so that leaves me with this afternoon to go ahead and play. Given that you've already started Gers, I think I will go ahead and load the game up. I'll post my progress later, probably when I'm done for the night (or at least need a break, as I don't have class tomorrow).
    -FatesServant

Counting Bro
    PSN ID
    gersfc
    Ok Fates, be good to see what kinda progress you make. I haven't played that much since I started it on Monday and probably won't be back on until Friday. But my weekend is free so I expect to make a lot of progress

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    I can always slow down if I start beating your ass by too much, lol.
    Tried to keep my level down for the first few areas, but I had to at least reach level 4. Otherwise the enemy groups were just too much for my poor tiny characters. Trying to keep my character levels low to prepare for (It's a minor detail but it's still a spoiler - combat mechanic though, not story)

Currently I just killed the Nue and am moving onto the next section of the story. How far have you made it?
    -FatesServant

Counting Bro
    PSN ID
    gersfc
    Not far at all, Rei and Teepo have just joined the party. Took me a while to find them. When I woke up in the house I was expecting them to be there! Ended up exploring not finding them, heading back to the house to see if I missed a room then finally heading out to the McNeills lol

No you crack on at your own pace. I'm a bit like Rocky, you'll be beating my ass early on but I'l come good towards the end

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    Not far at all, Rei and Teepo have just joined the party. Took me a while to find them. When I woke up in the house I was expecting them to be there! Ended up exploring not finding them, heading back to the house to see if I missed a room then finally heading out to the McNeills lol
    Ah, fair enough. I can understand that. I have the benefit of playing this game before, so I know where I'm going. Generally. For the most part..... kinda...

No you crack on at your own pace. I'm a bit like Rocky, you'll be beating my ass early on but I'l come good towards the end
    Challenge. Accepted.
    -FATESSERVANT!

Counting Bro
    PSN ID
    gersfc
    Ain't been on as much as I would've liked. Just got in to Mt. Glaus, where I should hook back up with Rei

I really like the examine system that allows you to learn enemy skills but 1 question I have, can every character learn enemy abilities or only some? I only ask as it only seems to be Teepo that is learning anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    As far as I know, everyone is able to learn skills. I think, however, that only one character in the party is able to learn any single monster skill. So only one person can learn any ability. You have to use the skill ink on the save point book from camp. That allows you to transfer the abilities over to Ryu or to other members as well. It's a little odd, but it helps force the player to customize each character.

I'm quite the bit ahead of ya now, but I'm sure you'll progress through the game when time allows it. What level are your characters? First time I got there I think Ryu and Teepo were level 3 or 4. I restarted though so I could power game (hey, I've already beaten it, I'm allowed to) and kept Ryu level one throughout the entire intro section of the game.
    -FatesServant

Counting Bro
    PSN ID
    gersfc

What's the reasoning for keeping Ryu at level 1?

My levels where 6 and 7 when I got there, I'm now level 8 after the first fight with the boss and following the blood trail. I appear to have hit a dead end so will probably level at least once before finding him again

That would explain why Teepo has everything so far as he seems to learn the abilities first then I try and learn them with Ryu but to no avail lol

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    Level one is so you can keep Ryu's stats at the bare minimum before opportunities appear to alter stat gains.

And yeah, that would explain it. I spent a while too trying to learn skills with everyone before realizing that only one person can learn them. I had completely forgotten about it originally.
    -FatesServant

Counting Bro
    PSN ID
    gersfc
    I see, think I'm gonna play it so that I'm going to be slightly over-powered since it's my first playthrough.

Think it's quite a good system and like you said before, forces character customisation and allows the characters to be unique I guess.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    I see, think I'm gonna play it so that I'm going to be slightly over-powered since it's my first playthrough.

Think it's quite a good system and like you said before, forces character customisation and allows the characters to be unique I guess.

Wait, don' you always grind so your characters are overpowered? That's certainly the trend I've noticed (with the exception of the FFVII speed-run). Which is all good, I personally love to grind until my characters are gods. But I'm not finding it at all necessary so far in this game, which is kinda nice. Still thinking I should have gone with a mage Ryu build instead of a warrior build though (did warrior last time, so mage coulda been something new).
    -FatesServant

Counting Bro
    PSN ID
    gersfc
    Wait, don' you always grind so your characters are overpowered? That's certainly the trend I've noticed (with the exception of the FFVII speed-run). Which is all good, I personally love to grind until my characters are gods. But I'm not finding it at all necessary so far in this game, which is kinda nice. Still thinking I should have gone with a mage Ryu build instead of a warrior build though (did warrior last time, so mage coulda been something new).
    -FatesServant
    To be honest I have grinded more since joining this forum to try keep up with the RPG gods on here lol but on first playthroughs I almost exclusively do.

I will probably make my Ryu a warrior class as I always like my main characters to be warriors. Again, the customisation does add a replay factor to it

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    Aw, I'm flattered to know you think so highly of me
    And yeah, that it does. Keep me posted with your progress man. I hardly made any today. Just 1.5 dungeons (two sections, but one of them is very short, hence the .5). Hope you're enjoying it so far though. It's a good one.
    -FatesServant

Thread Information