Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Hell yeah, I will! For both movies (gonna rip my blu rays over to my hard drives) and games.

It will be much more convenient and tidy. Gone are the times of plastic and dust piling up in your media room. Now you can select your media with the click of a button. I applaud Sony for making it so easy to go digital-only this time around with every game being released on PSN day 1.

And play as you download? Brilliant!

Forum Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I've bought 3 physical games in the last 4(Battlefield 3, Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3) years. I'm strictly digital now. Makes life much easier on PC so i hope it'll do the same on PS4/XBO

I know this seems ridiculously early to think it but I wonder if the PS5 will be backwards compatible with the PS4. I'd be turned off going fully digital if it meant once the PS5 is out my digital collection would be unplayable.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    Hell yeah, I will! For both movies (gonna rip my blu rays over to my hard drives) and games. It will be much more convenient and tidy. Gone are the times of plastic and dust piling up in your media room. Now you can select your media with the click of a button. I applaud Sony for making it so easy to go digital-only this time around with every game being released on PSN day 1. And play as you download? Brilliant!
    Yeah I really like that Sony put in that play as you download feature.

Forum Sage
    WTF, Rad!?! you're name has changed?

Asset Manager
    PSN ID
    avecha
    Items Lightning
    Never. I love physical to much. I used to love reading instruction manuals on the crapper. Whenever i get a new game it sleeps on my bed with.

Won't go digital unless I'm forced.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    WTF, Rad!?! you're name has changed?
    Yeah....and the cheapskate badgered the MODs into changing it for free instead of spending his own points.

He dropped the 420 out of his screen name..... but I bet he didn't drop the habit!

Anyways..... I'll get only a select few of my utmost important favorite games on disc and digital for all the rest.

Asset Manager
    PSN ID
    avecha
    Items Lightning
    Hell yeah, I will! For both movies (gonna rip my blu rays over to my hard drives) and games.

It will be much more convenient and tidy. Gone are the times of plastic and dust piling up in your media room. Now you can select your media with the click of a button. I applaud Sony for making it so easy to go digital-only this time around with every game being released on PSN day 1.

And play as you download? Brilliant!
    So you're happy for a drop in quality with your Blu-ray movies?

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    I know this seems ridiculously early to think it but I wonder if the PS5 will be backwards compatible with the PS4. I'd be turned off going fully digital if it meant once the PS5 is out my digital collection would be unplayable.
    That's what they're doing with all the digital PS1, 2 and 3 games though.

Quote Originally Posted by avecha View Post
    Explain?

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    I plan to go all digital. There's really no reason not to, unless it becomes too taxing on the PS4's HDD. Considering we have at least 500GB to work with, though, I don't see that being a problem. I don't download a ton-load of content to begin with anyway, so it shouldn't be problematic so far as disc spaced is concerned.

I am still a little skeptical of the whole digital-only idea, but that is inspired by nothing more than having grown up with discs and cartridges. In a day in age when everything is heading online and to the cloud, however, I see no reason why gaming and movie-watching should be any different.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Soldier 95B
    I am going 100% digital. I will not be buying a single hard copy game again. UNLESS there was some special edition that came with some sweet stuff. Then I would buy that special edition, AND buy the digital version.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I am going 100% digital. I will not be buying a single hard copy game again. UNLESS there was some special edition that came with some sweet stuff. Then I would buy that special edition, AND buy the digital version.
    You'd spend money buying the same game twice? You're richer than I, good sir.

Hopefully, as I'm seeing done with a lot of Blu-Ray titles, those who decide to purchase a disc copy of the game will also have a download code for the digital version. That seems to be a pretty convenient way to handle it, and would make playing a game under any number of circumstances easier.

Superior Member
    I'm going 100% digital this time around as well. Thanks mostly to the play as you download feature
    psn id: Seekersneak

Loving the ps4, Currently have:
    Assassins creed: black flag
    fifa 14
    outlast and the other free psn+ games.

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by avecha View Post
    I think you've missed the point... I'll be doing lossless rips only of course (untouched picture and sound quality compared to the blu ray), even if they are 50GB in size. It's all possible nowadays.

Search the net for tools like MakeMKV and you'll understand.
    Last edited by Wrath; 07-17-2013 at 14:49.

Asset Manager
    PSN ID
    avecha
    Items Lightning
    I think you've missed the point... I'll be doing lossless rips only of course (untouched picture and sound quality compared to the blu ray), even if they are 50GB in size. It's all possible nowadays.

Search the net for tools like MakeMKV and you'll understand.
    Maybe i was thinking of digitally streaming movies. I need to learn to stop posting half asleep. :P

15. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    There's a reason why streaming has become so popular. You get to save hard drive space. Going completely digital this generation is still not feasible at this point in my opinion. Hard drives are still insanely small when compared to the content sizes they are meant to hold. 2 TB is really nothing when you see how much space your average high def movie and video game takes up. 10-20GB per asset. That gives you roughly 50-100 movies and or games to put on your hard drive. That's not counting pictures, other programs/apps, music etc.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

17. Likes Steve likes this post
    Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    The only good thing about digital is, you don't have to move from the comfort of your couch!

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    The only good thing about digital is, you don't have to move from the comfort of your couch!
    And faster load times.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Lol, this won't help me buy them tho. Only if they let me my digital copy with next gen device but I don't see this happening. Since they love HD collections alot.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    And faster load times.
    Are you getting an SSD then?

Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    Lol, this won't help me buy them tho. Only if they let me my digital copy with next gen device but I don't see this happening. Since they love HD collections alot.
    That's one of the biggest flaws there's to digital only on consoles. I love to collect as i said before and digital games have no value! I only buy digital games if they are really cheap (Steam like) or if i don't think i will be getting a special edition.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Are you getting an SSD then?
    Well right now I only have a 500GB HDD in my PS3 and recently bought Batman AA off the PS Store and there's a massive difference in some of the load times compared to the disc, so I'd imagine if Sony have actually improved the readers in the PS4 to 6GB/s to take advantage of SSDs then for sure. Already got one in my laptop and I'll never go back to HDD on a PC.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Well right now I only have a 500GB HDD in my PS3 and recently bought Batman AA off the PS Store and there's a massive difference in some of the load times compared to the disc, so I'd imagine if Sony have actually improved the readers in the PS4 to 6GB/s to take advantage of SSDs then for sure. Already got one in my laptop and I'll never go back to HDD on a PC.
    That's pretty much a given. I'm getting a 500GB SSD just in time for the PS4 for sure!

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    I prefer physical copies, but that is mainly because i am not a collector, i finish a game and then i usually resell.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    There's a reason why streaming has become so popular. You get to save hard drive space. Going completely digital this generation is still not feasible at this point in my opinion. Hard drives are still insanely small when compared to the content sizes they are meant to hold. 2 TB is really nothing when you see how much space your average high def movie and video game takes up. 10-20GB per asset. That gives you roughly 50-100 movies and or games to put on your hard drive. That's not counting pictures, other programs/apps, music etc.
    That's my primary concern. Eek. I can already tell I'm beginning to change my mind about going completely digital.

I do think that I will opt for physical copies of games I'm crazy about. Elder Scrolls titles, for example, will probably be bought in their physical special editions. But cheaper content and games I'm less interested in will probably be bought digitally.

PSU Live Streamer
    Part of me is ready to go full digital, but the old school gamer in me keeps winning the internal argument. I have such a difficult time believing a game on a disk with a case and sometimes even an instruction guide can be worth $60, or the same game in digital version where there was no physical production cost at all can still be worth $60.

So until I have no choice but to buy digital, or they drop digital pricing.....physical is where I'm staying.

Not to mention I'm scared of putting all my faith into a digital library only to one day see those servers permanently taken offline and leaving me with no games. Imagine if the dreamcast was a digital only system.... /shudder

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    Part of me is ready to go full digital, but the old school gamer in me keeps winning the internal argument. I have such a difficult time believing a game on a disk with a case and sometimes even an instruction guide can be worth $60, or the same game in digital version where there was no physical production cost at all can still be worth $60.

So until I have no choice but to buy digital, or they drop digital pricing.....physical is where I'm staying.

Not to mention I'm scared of putting all my faith into a digital library only to one day see those servers permanently taken offline and leaving me with no games. Imagine of the dreamcast was a digital only system.... /shudder
    That's another thing that frightens me. In time we're going to have to learn to trust these new systems, I suppose.

Thread Information