Page 1 of 6 1 ... LastLast
    PSN ID
    DaGrandMastah

Who is going digital only this generation?

I'll be honest...I used to only want retail discs but the convenience of having them all on the console for easy access has pushed me towards going with digital for this next cycle. I'm planning to buy all my games digitally going forward. I can see both cases and honestly, I don't notice performance issues either way. This is strictly a matter of convenience. Games nowadays have absolutely nothing to provide the gamer other than a disc. Hell, if i want I'll buy a bunch of dvd boxes, print out custom covers and throw them on the shelf. It's the exact same thing as what you have now...but without having to switch.

I will be more careful though with what I buy if it's not on sale though. With digital you're losing out on the opportunity to sell your used game...which i did quite often.

Anyone decide to go this route? I really hope they decide on more aggresive pricing on digital downloads and/or a lower starting price point (maybe 54.99 for digital)? Also, I'd like to see some first day digital download exclusives that at least match the preorder bonuses that people get.

I used the ps3 strictly for exclusives so did most of my gaming on the 360 last gen. How was PS+ sale prices on games? Were the discounts reasonable?

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    No way. I need hard copies. Digital only will be the end of used games. Not that I buy them, but they are needed.

3. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-12-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Nope. Prefer physical.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

PSN ID
    l-Rasunda-l
    Probably not. I plan to buy only the true PS4 exclusives for the console, and the online multiplayer games like COD. That's maybe six or seven games per year. I'd rather just buy them in the store.
    One breath in this moment. We'll stay till were chosen and though it all.
    We Rise and Fall
    With our eyes wide open. We'll fight till we're broken.

..::WUB WUB WUB::..

PSN ID
    DaGrandMastah
    Don't get me wrong. I'm glad they're not forcing it on us. I hated the xbox for trying that (and failing). I've just made the choice to go digital this generation out of convenience. It does mean I'll have to be smarter about purchases since I won't have the resale factor to fall back on. Sony did the right thing by giving us a choice.

Elite Member
    Items User name style
    I won't be going pure digital, but I will be buying far more digital titles than I did this generation.
    If you can really change instantly around, having things digital would make that really impressive.
    Is it true that you can play one game, while waiting in a multiplayer lobby of a different game? If so, you would probably need at least one of those two to be digital.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGrandMastah View Post

Who is going digital only this generation?
    Now sir, i am going to take your title and tell you that we are already DIGITAL. Do you know SKY, VIRGIN and other DIGITAL companies that provide this service for the past 20 years now..
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Even though i have 100Mb internet i won't be going only digital, simply because i am a collector.

PSN ID
    l-Rasunda-l
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGrandMastah View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I'm glad they're not forcing it on us. I hated the xbox for trying that (and failing). I've just made the choice to go digital this generation out of convenience. It does mean I'll have to be smarter about purchases since I won't have the resale factor to fall back on. Sony did the right thing by giving us a choice.
    One good thing about digital is that you wont have to pre-order or hope games arent sold out. I gave in and bought Fire Emblem on 3DS digitally knowing that it was tied to my console and I'm still trying to find The Last of Us in stores. That alone is making me think that maybe digital may be a better route. I just dont like the idea of forgetting my password or getting hacked and losing all my games.

My PSN is already tied to an email which I havent logged into for a good 5 years.
    One breath in this moment. We'll stay till were chosen and though it all.
    We Rise and Fall
    With our eyes wide open. We'll fight till we're broken.

..::WUB WUB WUB::..

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DuhWhitePanda View Post
    One good thing about digital is that you wont have to pre-order or hope games arent sold out. I gave in and bought Fire Emblem on 3DS digitally knowing that it was tied to my console and I'm still trying to find The Last of Us in stores. That alone is making me think that maybe digital may be a better route. I just dont like the idea of forgetting my password or getting hacked and losing all my games.

My PSN is already tied to an email which I havent logged into for a good 5 years.
    Or you could just order from Amazon. You get it the day it's released and it's typically cheaper since there is no tax.

Digital only wont work for me. 500gb hard drive can only fit about 10 50gb games. If the internet is down it means you can't download a game, and some companies will throttle you if you are a heavy user. A digital only console is still years away imo.

PSN ID
    DaGrandMastah
    Well I certainly do not have any issue getting phsyical copies through amazon but I just found that have all of your games installed on your console is incredibly convenient. Can't tell you how many times I wanted to fire up fifa for 5 min while I wait for my wife to get ready to go out, only to say f it caues i don't feel like switching discs. Lazy...yes.

PSN ID
    DaGrandMastah
    Quote Originally Posted by billm0066 View Post
    Or you could just order from Amazon. You get it the day it's released and it's typically cheaper since there is no tax.

Digital only wont work for me. 500gb hard drive can only fit about 10 50gb games. If the internet is down it means you can't download a game, and some companies will throttle you if you are a heavy user. A digital only console is still years away imo.
    True, but 1 or 2 tb internal drives are very cheap nowadays so you can easily upgrade. I do believe that you're right in that a digital only console is years away....espeically if they don't improve the digital pricing to match the sales that retailers are providing the consumer. There are A TON of things that need to be done before we can rely on digital only. I'm just concentrating on the incredible convenience of having everything centrally located.

A collector is a collector though. I certainly understand where that argument is coming from as I prefer to collect my favorite movies on blu ray.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    I'll use physical media as long as possible. This is probably the last gen for it though. Enjoy it while it lasts, folks.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Not unless it is cheaper than physical..which it won't be.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Could never see myself going full Digital-Only. I've bought Digital titles (Street Fighter 3) but I could never see me going that route. Wouldn't be in full control. Don't like not being in full control.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Master Guru
    I'll never go digital only. Once they force it on us i'll be done with gaming. At least next gen gaming. I'll still play my old consoles.

18. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    As much as I would like to, for convenience sake, I can't go full digital. I'll be splitting it depending on the games.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Ultimate Veteran
    Not me I will have game disc in hand the day video games go fully digital is the. Day I retire from gaming

21. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    I'm digital with all my games regardless of the platform. It's the future.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Physical all the way.

PSN games I don't mind buying digitally
    But if I can get something on a disk I will.

Via Tapatalk

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    DynamicSun
    I do... UNLESS... A game is "Disc only".

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    MoneyM07
    It is quicker for me to go to the store and buy the physical copy than sit and watch GB+ files download. They take too long, for me. Now the psn games, small files, I don't mind.

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    I prefer physical copies but with PS+ and recently switching to a much better broadband connection I will probably purchase digital versions a lot more than I did this gen.
    PSN ID:Key2001 3DS FC:1521-2714-7908 Steam ID:jkey2001

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Never going full digital. The day consoles switch to full digital is the day in done with gaming.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Counting Bro
    PSN ID
    gersfc
    Items Protect yourselfFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVAtlusTidusAuronFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    Prefer physical copies but the disc drives on my last two ps3's have $#@!ed up so I am swaying more and more to the digital side

PSN ID: gersfc

Twitter ID: gers_PSU
    Twitch ID: 19gers87
    Youtube Channel: gers87fc

Thread Information