Latest PSU headlines:

Flaw3d Genius

Sony signals end to SOCOM, MAG online support Half a year of online play left.

Sony has signalled the end to online support for tactical shooters SOCOM and MAG.

On 28th January 2014, Sony will turn off the servers powering the online service for PlayStation 3 exclusives MAG, SOCOM: Confrontation and SOCOM: Special Forces.

MAG and SOCOM: Special Forces were developed by Zipper Interactive, which Sony closed down in March 2012.

"The closure is a result of a normal cycle of resource re-alignment within SCE WWS," Sony said in a statement issued at the time.

SOCOM: Special Forces released in 2011 to middling review scores. MAG released in 2010 and caught attention for its huge, 256-player online battles. SOCOM: Confrontation, developed by Slant Six Games, released a year earlier, but failed to win over critics.
    Im surprised Sony has not cut these games off sooner.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    MAG.. I had a lot of fun with that game. Well, time to play some games before it is gone for good.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    they better have something that'll cater to the crowd that they're about to cut off! this is really dumb! socom confrontation still has followers and games are being played every single day! and seeing as how MAG and confrontation are online only, i dont see why they cant just leave those servers up!

H-Hour is not coming out until late next year so basically socom fans are screwed to the pulp?! $#@! YOU SONY! not even a socom HD remake...zilch...nada! $#@!ing sad!

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    they better have something that'll cater to the crowd that they're about to cut off! this is really dumb! socom confrontation still has followers and games are being played every single day! and seeing as how MAG and confrontation are online only, i dont see why they cant just leave those servers up!

H-Hour is not coming out until late next year so basically socom fans are screwed to the pulp?! $#@! YOU SONY! not even a socom HD remake...zilch...nada! $#@!ing sad!
    Nobody plays these games anymore hence why the servers are getting turned off.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    It's always a slippery-slope when a company decides to shut down servers. I wish there was some kind of guarantee that a company would leave servers up for a given period of time. Even though these games aren't widely popular, there are still a lot of gamers that are going to get screwed by this decision.

But hey, if enough gamers voice their dissent, there's always the chance Sony would reverse their decision. Didn't Microsoft do something along those lines when they decided to shut down the Halo 2 servers?
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Soldier 95B

We still have peeps playing SOCOM 4 as well. But this isn't until 2014. We will see if our teams are still active then.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    Nobody plays these games anymore hence why the servers are getting turned off.
    Because you don't play it doesn't mean "nobody plays theses games anymore" plenty of purple still play it! Clans are actively on playing. Most of them not even interested in the ps4 until h hour comes out...

The ps2 servers weren't shut down until after socom confrontation and abomination 4 came out...oh well back to cookie cutter shooters

^ abomination 4 servers should have been shut down the week the game came out...oh wait

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by YoungMullah88; 07-17-2013 at 23:20.

8. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Soldier 95B
    Because you don't play it doesn't mean "nobody plays theses games anymore" plenty of purple still play it! Clans are actively on playing. Most of them not even interested in the ps4 until h hour comes out...

The ps2 servers weren't shut down until after socom confrontation and abomination 4 came out...oh well back to cookie cutter shooters

^ abomination 4 servers should have been shut down the week the game came out...oh wait

SOCOM 4 is a great shooter. One of my faves and I enjoy it more that previous ones.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    MAG is awesome. It's sad I'll never be able to play it again

Ill be giving it a very good run before the closures

Via Tapatalk

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Doesn't make sense when Resistance Fall of Man's servers are still running.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Doesn't make sense when Resistance Fall of Man's servers are still running.
    That's what bothers me. There seems to be some degree of randomness as to which servers get taken down and which don't.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

13. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    massive
    action
    game
    so sad to see her go

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Smh MAG could have been special if they just made it a tps, classic camera view and not snap to cover mechanism! Another missed opportunity by Sony and the late zipper int.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    I tried out MAG I played for about a month but really couldn't get into it unless your in a CLAN then you've have a great time because I wasn't it was boring no one revives and no one in non team playing will help you to take over stuff. I found I would follow some players and they would just split and do there own thing not focusing on the task and sometimes it was a bit hard at first what I had to do.

But once I got the hang of it, it was ok but it got very dull after a month so stopped playing

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

PSN ID
    Royals26
    Items AppleBattlefield 3Dice
    I had high hopes for Socom 4, it's a shame they couldn't capture the classic Socom feel with it. Hopefully the new kickstarter will be able to.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Damn. Crazy that they would opt so easily to shut down servers on a game that required them.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Forum Sage

The drawbacks of free online play I guess

BBK. Tapatalking.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post
    That's what bothers me. There seems to be some degree of randomness as to which servers get taken down and which don't.
    Its not really random considering Zipper closed down. These are all Zipper games.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Its not really random considering Zipper closed down. These are all Zipper games.
    Slant six developed socom confrontation...then went on to do resident evil. Hopefully they're developing confrontation 2. I admire what David Sears is doing but a wanna be socom will not cut it! Unless there's a map maker so the community can make the classic maps that we all love

Elite Guru
    I did enjoy the new SOCOM online for a bit. Good things always come to a end.

Thread Information