Latest PSU headlines:

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli

Next Gen and the Push for 60 Frames Per Second??

If you've noticed with a lot of these announced titles are targeting 60fps. As someone who enjoys this smoothness, this is great news. And I think it's really smart to do this in the beginning of the generation when these new visuals are still able to be called new. And surprisingly, the best part is that a lot of these 60fps games look on par with the 30fps games in a lot of ways. Games like Metal Gear Solid and Battlefield 4 look on par with games like Infamous, and Forza looks on par with Driveclub despite the disparity in horsepower. It looks like with the law of diminishing returns, we are finally seeing developers feel more comfortable with targeting the higher framerate. Even Microsoft is pushing 60fps onto Halo for the next generation. It would be exciting if 60fps became much more standard next gen. And to think we used to have 15fps PS1 games lol.

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'm honestly fine with 30 frames per second. 1080p is a must-have though.

Flaw3d Genius
    Yep and Sony have said they are pushing devs for 60fps this gen! 60fps is the way to go!

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    Same here. I would rather have 30 fps @ 1080p than 60 fps @ 720p. I'm hoping for the best of both, though.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    Yep and Sony have said they are pushing devs for 60fps this gen! 60fps is the way to go!
    there will be only great things from this coming gen of console magic provided by ps4

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

PSU Technical Advisor
    This. This x 1000.

I'll take a resolution bump and better effects over a doubling of framerate please.

Extreme Poster
    for me, frame rate is only important if it's a competitive game. otherwise i couldn't care less but it's nice to have though.

1080p is definitely important...i already can't stand 720p on a 46", can't imagine looking at anything less than 1080p on my next to-be 70" TV.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    for me, frame rate is only important if it's a competitive game. otherwise i couldn't care less but it's nice to have though.

1080p is definitely important...i already can't stand 720p on a 46", can't imagine looking at anything less than 1080p on my next to-be 70" TV.
    Yeah, I'm rather spoiled by 1080p now... especially after building my Blu-ray collection. 720p just feels... dirty. o_0
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Yeah, I'm rather spoiled by 1080p now... especially after building my Blu-ray collection. 720p just feels... dirty. o_0
    yea i know what you mean. i had no issues with 720 on my 32 inch screen but boy does it make a huge difference!

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Please. That's how you like it.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

11. Likes DeRaddyoMoFo likes this post
    Friendship is Carrots
    I don't expect it to last. Some of the franchises pulling the 60fps card may keep it within that series, but over time 60FPS will become less common. It's just the reality of set hardware. Developers will need to make better looking, larger games and they'll fail to see the need to maintain any sort of higher standard when it comes to framerate. Those are resources that can go to achieving more important goals.

Personally, I think 30fps is fine for consoles. Unlike the mouse, which you can zip around as fast as you want making a high framerate necessary, a controller's joyticks simply move and react too slowly. It's hardly a detriment as a result.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I don't expect it to last. Some of the franchises pulling the 60fps card may keep it within that series, but over time 60FPS will become less common. It's just the reality of set hardware. Developers will need to make better looking, larger games and they'll fail to see the need to maintain any sort of higher standard when it comes to framerate. Those are resources that can go to achieving more important goals.

Personally, I think 30fps is fine for consoles. Unlike the mouse, which you can zip around as fast as you want making a high framerate necessary, a controller's joyticks simply move and react too slowly. It's hardly a detriment as a result.
    Yeah... that is a good point. And they can't keep up with crazy visuals and expect to stay at 60 fps. Maybe for smaller scale games, but not for open world environments.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    I definitely prefer 1080p and better graphics to higher frame rate. 30fps works for most titles, IMO, unless it dips alot under that at points in the game. I can understand if you only play competative fps-shooters and such that you would want a higher frame rate. But if we're talking next gen, for Me better looking graphics is more next gen then a higher frame rate.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Absolutely. I also don't think that 60 fps is going to be as widespread as many are thinking it will be this gen. I know with higher capabilities it should be but they have to work harder to get it there. Deadlines have to be met. If those deadlines mean 30 fps at at the sacrifice of 60 fps in sure that will happen. I would also take the 1080p over 60 fps any day.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Forum Sage

It's a shame not all games will be able to run at 60fps (personally for me above 60fps is a necessity I actually like to play around 90-120. Regardless of what people think, you can notice the difference) but if games come out at 30fps then so be it. 30fps is still playable, I just hope they've locked it at 30.

I'll only be using my PS4 for exclusives so it's not really a concern for me. It's either play the game at 30fps or not play the game at all.

I'll choose to play it.

BBK. Tapatalking.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    It's a shame not all games will be able to run at 60fps (personally for me above 60fps is a necessity I actually like to play around 90-120. Regardless of what people think, you can notice the difference) but if games come out at 30fps then so be it. 30fps is still playable, I just hope they've locked it at 30.

I'll only be using my PS4 for exclusives so it's not really a concern for me. It's either play the game at 30fps or not play the game at all.

I'll choose to play it.

BBK. Tapatalking.
    well from the trend, it seems like you will likely get to play it at 60fps but i fear that some ambitious titles might still be at 30fps.

Forum Sage

Ill get over it pretty quickly. I can choose where to play multiplatforms but with the exclusives i'll just have to deal with it.

Flaw3d Genius
    As long as we get 60fps for FPS, Sports Games and Racing games...those three genre's is where it matters most of all and makes a BIG difference!

20. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Forum Sage

See, I'm starting to think i'm a little $#@! For me any game that has character motion needs to be 60fps minimum. I just find 30fps to be jerky. It's still playable but the picture just bugs me.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    See, I'm starting to think i'm a little $#@! For me any game that has character motion needs to be 60fps minimum. I just find 30fps to be jerky. It's still playable but the picture just bugs me.
    I Couldn't imagine playing LoL without 60 fps! Buttery smooth. I agree with what you said before. That locked framerate is critical.

Forum Sage

You a LoL player? my friend keeps begging me to play but i thought DoTA2 looked more fun

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    You a LoL player? my friend keeps begging me to play but i thought DoTA2 looked more fun
    I Haven't played in a while but it consumed most of my time for a while. My friends who also played with me all the time said DOTA 2 isn't near as good. I would suggest giving it a try. I loved it but if you are not good you get your ass handed to you in higher levels. I'm sure most games in that genre are like that though.

Thread Information