Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Sage

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

What keyboard are you using?

Looking to get a new keyboard. I currently use a Razer Lycosa (membrane) but I was thinking of switching to a mechanical keyboard. I was able to play around with a Corsair Vengeance with Cherry Red MX switches the other day and while i only had a few minutes with it. Cherry Reds feel a lot more responsive than i thought they would.

I'm debating getting a board with cherry red switches or do i stick with what i know and keep the membrane boards?

What are you all using?

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Logi G105 MW3 Edition & G9X mouse

Finally You Are Free
    The Corsair Vengeance K95? That thing is pretty sexy. I've also had my eye on the K70 Gaming Keyboard (cherry red). I've been wanting a new keyboard lately too, but I can't speak from experience. I do know that everyone (that I've seen) that has used mechanical keyboards always, always, always vouches for them. They will last forever. The lit keys and ability to toggle different modes is just icing on the cake.

Elite Sage

it was actually the K70 i was looking at, i don't play MMO's that much so macro keys aren't really needed. So yeah, i tried the K70 in the shop down near me for about 30 seconds and the keys felt so much more responsive than i thought they would.

I do really like the look of the Steelseires 7G but as it turns out it doesn't have backlights, something i need as i play at night more than i play at day

quite like the look of the Ducky DK2108

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    This:

115208_razernostromo01.jpg

it is far from perfect, but it works and is great for an arm chair situation. The price however is ludicrous and Razer should be ashamed but hey idiots like me buy the thing so there you go.

I hated it for several reasons when I first bought it because IMO with the palm rest it is actually painful to use. But after removing that and using a big bean bag for elevation and wrist support it feels great. The space bar button is still in a really dumb position though and never gets used. Also the button above the dpad is extremely tacky and the scroll wheel is quite useless.

So I have issues with the thing but it's good for me, I don't think I would recommend it to anyone who plays at a desk though.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Wired apple keyboard now. lol Far from what I want though.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    $8 Office One keyboard from K-mart with the CapsLock taken off.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Saitek eclipse 2. USed it for years its wearing out now.

I just want a simple keyboard thats PS2, has back lighting and has media keys, I don't give a crap about macros.

Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    $8 Office One keyboard from K-mart with the CapsLock taken off.

Thats my rocket launcher key in HL2, if you SEE ME IN A SERVER TYPING IN CAPS IT MEANS I GOT ONE.

9. Likes Nerevar likes this post
    Elite Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    This:

115208_razernostromo01.jpg

it is far from perfect, but it works and is great for an arm chair situation. The price however is ludicrous and Razer should be ashamed but hey idiots like me buy the thing so there you go.

I hated it for several reasons when I first bought it because IMO with the palm rest it is actually painful to use. But after removing that and using a big bean bag for elevation and wrist support it feels great. The space bar button is still in a really dumb position though and never gets used. Also the button above the dpad is extremely tacky and the scroll wheel is quite useless.

So I have issues with the thing but it's good for me, I don't think I would recommend it to anyone who plays at a desk though.
    I do love my Razer peripherals but I never found that thing to my liking. I used my friends Nostromo i think it was called, it's a Belkin one pretty much the same, and i didn't really see the point in using that over a keyboard. I assume you don't play at a desk though so in those situations i guess it is probably very useful.

I really want to try out the Razer Hydra though. That is supposed to be very good and supports a large number of games.

You'd almost like the Steelseires 7G Keefy, it's a no frills board that uses PS/2. If not then the Ducky boards all can use PS/2, support N-Rollover and anti ghosting.

The thing is supposed to be built like a tank. It just doesn't have back lighting, if it did I would've got that one but it seems like the Ducky is everything I want in a board; looks basic, good build quality (i always hit my keyboards) and backlit plus it comes in every colour switch imaginable but i've now got my hearts set on the reds. i fell in love with them after literally a few button presses. I knew they are the perfect switch for me. I can't get over how sensitive they are!

I never thought i'd like a mechanical board. I've always been content with my membrane board as i like the low profile keys but now i've actually tried a mechanical board it feels so much nicer!

Really wish there was a shop where i could go in and just test out all of the different boards and switches. Keefy, you're from Manchester or thereabouts aren't you? You should check out the Scan store and see if you can test the boards there
    Last edited by BBK..; 07-19-2013 at 11:21.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Scan is a bit far to go on a whim of testing keyboards (about 25 miles) I will only go there if I am to buy something and take it home with me.
    Last time I was there was to buy my monitor, I ended up testing out some headphones (senheisser 595) and driving some racing game with a massive monitor, wheel and racing seat.

Its a good place they have pretty much everything high end.

Aria is good for the more regular stuff like CPU, RAM, Graphics cards the dotn have much selection of gaming keyboards.

Dedicated Member

I use a Filco Ninja Majestouch 2, with cherry brown switches. It's great for a mix of gaming and typing.

majestouch-ninja_side-5227452.jpg

Elite Sage

How much noise do the browns make? It seems to be between the Red and Blacks for me. Pretty sure i'm gonna go with the reds though.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    How much noise do the browns make? It seems to be between the Red and Blacks for me. Pretty sure i'm gonna go with the reds though.
    Similar to red from what I have heard.

You say you're deciding between reds and blacks (linear switches), have you tried a tactile switch (browns and blues)? If not it might be worth trying a tactile one before deciding on a linear switch.

Whichever switch you opt for however, it will be a good choice. I just can't go back to a membrane keyboard after using a mechanical one.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Razer Blackwidow BF3 edition

I've been using it for over a year now i guess! And not a single problem.

I currently use the BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth Edition. (AKA, the old blue one) I had to get this one to fit my cases persona~
    Will upgrade to the RAZER DEATHSTALKER ULTIMATE when this one fails.
    This thing is loud as heck, wakes everyone up when I start typing. I suggest the tournament editions.
    Razer-BlackWidow-Ultimate-Review.jpg

Elite Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Valefor View Post
    Similar to red from what I have heard.

You say you're deciding between reds and blacks (linear switches), have you tried a tactile switch (browns and blues)? If not it might be worth trying a tactile one before deciding on a linear switch.

Whichever switch you opt for however, it will be a good choice. I just can't go back to a membrane keyboard after using a mechanical one.
    Ah ok cool.

I haven't had a chance to try any! Basically i was dead set on buying another Razer board, a Razer Deathstalker (chiclet/membrane) as i know i like membrane boards. Anyway, i go into Maplins whilst I was working and i noticed they had a Corsair K70 Vengeance on the side so i thought i'd tap a few keys and literally a second after i pressed 1 key i was instantly interested in the board.

That board had the cherry red switches and it just felt so responsive. I barely had to touch it to get it to respond to my finger - that is something i never thought a mechanical keyboard would be like (granted i never paid attention to them as i didn't like the look of them) but now i'm really looking forward to getting one.

I really wish there was a shop near me that would allow me to try all of the switches - I also wanted to try the Steelseries 7G board which uses springs but it's not backlit so out of the question for me.

I think I'm going to go with a Cherry Red Ducky DK9008 Shine II unless i get a chance to try the others.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Ah ok cool.

I haven't had a chance to try any! Basically i was dead set on buying another Razer board, a Razer Deathstalker (chiclet/membrane) as i know i like membrane boards. Anyway, i go into Maplins whilst I was working and i noticed they had a Corsair K70 Vengeance on the side so i thought i'd tap a few keys and literally a second after i pressed 1 key i was instantly interested in the board.

That board had the cherry red switches and it just felt so responsive. I barely had to touch it to get it to respond to my finger - that is something i never thought a mechanical keyboard would be like (granted i never paid attention to them as i didn't like the look of them) but now i'm really looking forward to getting one.

I really wish there was a shop near me that would allow me to try all of the switches - I also wanted to try the Steelseries 7G board which uses springs but it's not backlit so out of the question for me.

I think I'm going to go with a Cherry Red Ducky DK9008 Shine II unless i get a chance to try the others.
    If you like the light-touch feature, then the reds would be better over the blacks, as the blacks require a higher actuation force.

Here is a good guide that might help: http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/me...keyboard-guide

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    MavSkipper
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Saitek eclipse 2. USed it for years its wearing out now.

I just want a simple keyboard thats PS2, has back lighting and has media keys, I don't give a crap about macros.
    Had the same keyboard until I raged over a game and destroyed it. Used it for over 5 years and it could've lived longer had I not done what I did to it. lol

Now using a MS Sidewinder X6 keyboard. Pretty decent I would say.

And yea, as long as it got back lighting and doesn't crap out when I press 2 buttons simultaneously then I'm good.
    PSOMGLMAO - Live in your world... bake, kill and play in ours!!! キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ 〜であります

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I bought a G19 after replacing my G13 r1 back in October last year, although it's a stunning keyboard it does require quite a high pressure on the keys to actuate, odd considering it is a membrane keyboard. I used to always be a very quiet and light typer, this keyboard has turned me into quite the heavy typer which I don't like at all. I was on the fence of getting this and the Corsair Vengeance K95 and kind of regret not getting the Corsair now. Oh well hopefully when this keyboard eventually dies mechanical keyboards will have dropped in price.

Elite Sage

Yeah, these mechanical boards aren't cheap!

PSN ID
    Extursion
    I'm using a generic Logitech, its so old the A,S,D, and C are gone or almost gone lol.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Bodie_CI5
    Items ApplePS3 Slim
    I use a Mionix Zibal 60 (blacks) - friggin love it! I just wish the leds were a little brighter. But I love the feel of the keys.

Elite Sage

Just bought myself the Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 with Red cherry switches and Blue backlit

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    You'll have to tell me how it is, I had been eyeing the Ducky for quite a while but those keys are raised WAY too much it seems.

Elite Sage

It's going to seem very high compared to what i'm used to! I should have it by tuesday/wednesday so i'll update this thread.
    Goodbye Lycosa, we've had fun. Killed many people and saved the world a few times. But now it's time to put you to rest.

Seriously, what was i thinking buying a black keyboard with black letters it gave me no choice but better my touch typing

Thread Information