Latest PSU headlines:

Stolen PS3 - What to do next?

Hi everyone, I'm not that active in the forum but I read a lot of the posts because I find them interesting and several times very helpful.
    This post brings no good news. Last Friday some bastards broke into my apartment using a crowbar and stole several of our things, including my beloved PS3 80 GB backwards compatible, which was in perfect condition... They also took all my video games, which I was planning to collect. Sets like Uncharted, Resistance, god of war, assassins creed, fifa, guitar hero, and disks like bf3, metal gear solid, the last of us among others are now gone. They took laptops, tablets, cameras, my wife's jewelry... They also took my ps vita, my alienware laptop and a nice collection of blurays I had bought during years.
    I know it's just stuff and that live goes on I guess, but it is hard to lose stuff that you obtained with hard work.

I quickly changed my PSN password because the password was stored in the console. I needed it that way because of automatic updates from PS +.
    Can somebody think on something I should be doing to protect my account, besides changing the pwd?
    thanks for the time...

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Did you have you credit card tied in to it? I'd say call up Sony man and ask.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

yes, there was a credit card saved in the profile, but it was a really old one that doesn't work. I changed my credit card years ago, but never updated the profile in PSN. I preferred it that way. Normally I used PSN cards to buy stuff.
    Thanks for the tip.

Dedicated Member
    I hope you have renters insurance. Keep an eye on CL and go to nearby pawn shops to see if anything has turned up. Change your PSN password, then log in and remove your card info.

Elite Member
    Put money in your account, wait for them to use it. Get Sony to Track & Notify Authorities. Done.

6. Likes The Black Wolf wishes they had posted this first.
    Quote Originally Posted by reasonable_doubt View Post
    Put money in your account, wait for them to use it. Get Sony to Track & Notify Authorities. Done.
    As clever as that idea is, there's no guarantee that the people that stole it are the ones that will use it, they probably sell it on. Also, if they were to use it, they probably wouldn't use someone else's account. It's a good thought though.

yes, we are insured. it's a pain in the ass deal with the insurance, but we will try to recover as much as possible.
    we'll try the pawn shops, for the jewellery at least.
    They don't have access to the account anymore, I guess. After changing the password they won't be able to go online with my PS3, I assume?
    thanks.

I was reading about tracing laptops using dropbox. Dropbox can show where the account has been access from and using which browser. It gives the IP. But in order for the police to obtain the actual address from the ISP, they need a warrant, and they won't waist time doing that for a laptop.
    But still, those are nice tricks that may work when trying to trace your lost items.

Quote Originally Posted by Beasley2K View Post
    As clever as that idea is, there's no guarantee that the people that stole it are the ones that will use it, they probably sell it on. Also, if they were to use it, they probably wouldn't use someone else's account. It's a good thought though.

PSN ID
    coolguy1
    Just go on the internet change your password for psn and buy a new ps3

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by criscgecko View Post
    Just go on the internet change your password for psn and buy a new ps3
    This unfortunately is pretty much all you really can do. Outside of insurance or if the police turn something up. Here the link. Log in with your PSN info and change your PW.
    https://account.sonyentertainmentnet...t_locale=en_US

Also call Sony, explain you were robbed, your PS3 was stolen and you need to deactivate the stolen console from your account. This way you do not lose one of your 2 system activations and the scumbags lose access to whatever games you may have purchased from psn.
    Last edited by faaeng; 07-20-2013 at 10:28.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

PSN ID
    Asphyxuary
    Wow, I really feel for ya. Sounds like they cleaned your place out pretty good of valuables, the bastards. What hurts more than losing the physical items is the feeling of helplessness and being victimized. I had my Xbox account hacked once with hundreds of dollars spent using my attached credit card (on FIFA cards...), totally sucked and I just wanted to kick the guys ass.

It's good you are insured. Hopefully everything works out for you and you get as much back as you can, even though it won't quite be the same it's better than not having the stuff at all.

thanks, we were pretty shocked and devastated when this occur. It's a horrible feeling.
    But from now we will be more prepared for situations like this.
    I think I can deactivate my ps3 from my account settings, I think I saw the option. Or maybe it's just to remove it from the registered list? I'm not sure. I can see the PS vita in the list as well.
    The insurance may help, but like you say, it's never going to be the same.
    It's the personal stuff that is irreplaceable, the photos, the documents, the music, things like that you will never recover. That is why it is important to save everything you care about in the cloud. That's what I will do from now on.

PSN ID
    Demonhunter84
    Deactivate the PS3 so they can't use it.

I contacted Sony and they have deactivated both ps and vita.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Damn, that's crazy as hell. Hopefully the insurance company doesn't bs you around.

Was your place the only one broken into? If it was, it may be somebody that knows you have a lot of valuable items;friends, family or neighbors.
    This message is hidden because Sub-stance1 is on your ignore list.

Just gotta go out and buy a new PS3. Not liking that Super Slim. Feels cheap.

Thread Information