Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 72
  1. #1
    Super Elite
    MacP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Essex, England.
    Posts
    2,290
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    5,625 (0 Banked)

    Why isn't the hardcore gamer choosing the PC as their platform of choice?

    Okay so we know that PS4 and Xbox One are releasing soon but what I would like to know is why gamers are not choosing the PC. it is still lead platform for developers and is generic I mean we only had to look at the Battlefield 4 gameplay trailers to see how stunning the graphics are

    What are your thoughts?
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

  2. #2
    Veteran
    faaeng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    .....pss..behind you
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,122
    Rep Power
    72
    Points
    12,216 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacP View Post
    Okay so we know that PS4 and Xbox One are releasing soon but what I would like to know is why gamers are not choosing the PC. it is still lead platform for developers and is generic I mean we only had to look at the Battlefield 4 gameplay trailers to see how stunning the graphics are

    What are your thoughts?
    If your a hardcore gamer why restrict yourself to PC gaming? Every game isn't available on a single platform. A true hardcore gamer would play PC, PS3/4, 360, XB1, Wii U etc...

    You go where the games are.

    I quit PC gaming years ago for the convenience of consoles. No more having to check boxes for compatibility issues, hardware checks, tweaking my PC for this amd that, possible driver issues, incompatible parts. Feeling the need to constantly upgrade because on really crappy nights online id blame it on my "slow" PCs lower fps compared to someone else's with a higher fps count then mine.. Yes, I went there... Lol

    With consoles all games work the same way on every console with noone gaining an advantage over anyone else because of their hardware. Simple use. Open game, insert disk and play.
    Last edited by faaeng; 07-20-2013 at 11:35.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------


  3. Likes Mael Duin, K2D likes this post
  4. #3
    Super Elite
    MacP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Essex, England.
    Posts
    2,290
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    5,625 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    If your a hardcore gamer why restrict yourself to PC gaming? Every game isn't available on a single platform. A true hardcore gamer would play PC, PS3/4, 360, XB1, Wii U etc...

    You go where the games are.

    I quit PC gaming years ago for the convenience of consoles. No more having to check boxes for compatibility issues, hardware checks, tweaking my PC for this amd that, possible driver issues, incompatible parts. Feeling the need to constantly upgrade because on really crappy nights online id blame it on my "slow" PCs lower fps compared to someone else's with a higher fps count then mine.. Yes, I went there... Lol

    With consoles all games work the same way on every console with noone gaining an advantage over anyone else because of their hardware. Simple use. Open game, insert disk and play.
    I play alot of PC games and it has got a lot more reliable with the issue of having drivers etc I think that console games have got stale when it comes to unlocking the true potential of a game.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

  5. #4
    Forum Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol!!
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9,406
    Rep Power
    86
    Points
    33,583 (15,799 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    If your a hardcore gamer why restrict yourself to PC gaming? Every game isn't available on a single platform. A true hardcore gamer would play PC, PS3/4, 360, XB1, Wii U etc...

    You go where the games are.
    .
    I agree with this mainly.

    But I think there are other points why people don't like it.

    There's the misconception you have to spend thousands to build a gaming desktop. Of course you can spend a ridiculous amount of money on a PC. Most of my components cost more than consoles alone. But you don't need to do that. You can spend 7/800 and have a very decent gaming PC. PC gaming certainly feels like more of an investment over console gaming initially but you don't have to pay the inflated prices of console games.

    There's the misconception that drivers, and updates are a hassle. I guess they were, 7 or more years ago but the truth is it's not much more difficult to update your PC than a console. Most things update when they need to automatically or have an executable to check for updates.

    Not everyone has the technical knowledge to put a PC together. Quite annoying if your looking to buy a gaming PC and everyone tells you to buy it all in parts when you don't know how to put it together.

    For some odd reason people seem put off by mouse and keyboard and assume its the only input method. You can use Any controller you like on PC and then more. 360 pad, DS3, Wii Mote and Razer Hydra cover most of the bases.

    You can argue PC gaming isn't as social as there are very few split screen games. Compared to consoles

    Those are a few of the reasons I can think why PC gaming isn't for everyone.
    Personally for me, PC gaming is the best platform. It's a place where you can experience the next, next generation right now. 1080p@30fps? That's cute. Why not 1080p@120fps, 1440@60fps or 4K@30fps.

    Things like now Battlefield4 are now 64 player... Welcome to battlefield 3 lol.

    Oh... Consoles now support DX11!? Welcome to 4 years ago.

    Then you have experiences out of games you don't get on condones. It speaks volumes that one of the best gaming experiences right now is a mod of a game a few years old (DayZ)
    Or you can take Skyrim to another level by modding the hell out of that.

    The PC isn't for everyone but there is no denying if you want the best experiences in games graphically, flexibility with controllers, fully changeable controls, independent games, guaranteed backwards compatibility, mods of games, free online and more, the PC is a place to play if your serious.

    That doesn't mean your not a hardcore gamer if you don't own a PC. As Faeng said, a hardcore gamer goes where the games are. There is no 'platform for the hardcore'




    BBK. Tapatalking.

  6. Likes Usagi-Pire, Nerevar likes this post
  7. #5
    Power Member
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,327
    Rep Power
    124
    Points
    55,285 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Those that can. Do.

  8. Likes Mael Duin, Usagi-Pire likes this post
  9. #6
    Apprentice
    DarkoStylo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    365
    Rep Power
    13
    Points
    2,677 (0 Banked)
    For me it's the exclusives and my incompetence when it comes to technology. I think I would burn down my house trying to build a computer.

    Sent from my Nexus 4

  10. Likes Usagi-Pire likes this post
  11. #7
    Elite Sage
    John25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    10,665
    Rep Power
    104
    Points
    3,466 (331,762 Banked)
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Not me im debating whether to go with a PS4 or a EVGA superclocked GTX 770 for my next gen Gaming & Maybe switch up my 6 core CPU for an AMD 8 Core Vishera CPU

  12. #8
    Power Member
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,327
    Rep Power
    124
    Points
    55,285 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by John25 View Post
    Not me im debating whether to go with a PS4 or a EVGA superclocked GTX 770 for my next gen Gaming & Maybe switch up my 6 core CPU for an AMD 8 Core Vishera CPU
    Are those compatible with AM3+ boards? I am still using Phenom 2 Quad core.

  13. #9
    Elite Sage
    John25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    10,665
    Rep Power
    104
    Points
    3,466 (331,762 Banked)
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yea They work with AM3+ Mobs which is what I have but some Mobo's have to have a Bios update to run them

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819113284

    Was looking at the 8350 version (currently have the 1100T Thuban Chip)

  14. #10
    Super Elite
    MacP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Essex, England.
    Posts
    2,290
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    5,625 (0 Banked)
    I got the FX series of CPU's 8 core that will serve me well for 2 years at least AM3+
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

  15. #11
    Ultimate Veteran
    mickice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    21,868
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    20,442 (40,000 Banked)
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    PS4 is about $200 cheaper than an equivalent PC I could build, so it has some perks.
    I do plan on building a mid ranged mini PC tho for gaming.

    - Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

  16. #12
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,578
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    94,899 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    PS4 is about $200 cheaper than an equivalent PC I could build, so it has some perks.
    I do plan on building a mid ranged mini PC tho for gaming.
    pretty sure even a $400 card isn't going to be able to play next-gen games very well.

  17. #13
    Forum Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol!!
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9,406
    Rep Power
    86
    Points
    33,583 (15,799 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    How much is a GTX770 in the US? It's faster than the 680 what demoed a few next gen games so it could last for a few years.


    BBK. Tapatalking.

  18. #14
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,578
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    94,899 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I donno if 2GB of VRAM would be enough to display all the effects with the AA and 1080p resolution. Just guessing, I donno. I haven't really been in PC gaming for a long time now.

    maybe the RAM isn't that important if the design compensates for it.

  19. #15
    Power Member
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,327
    Rep Power
    124
    Points
    55,285 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It will be fine.
    And there isn't a next gen per se in PC world since the hardware is upgradable and continuously improving each year.
    Last edited by keefy; 07-20-2013 at 22:32.

  20. #16
    Friendship is Carrots
    Nerevar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Equestria
    Age
    21
    Posts
    15,360
    Rep Power
    132
    Points
    75,079 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    As pointed out, gamers go where the games are. I greatly prefer the PC as gaming device, but I've also enjoyed many titles that belong to the consoles; Read Dead Redemption, MGS4, God of War, Gears of War, Halo, Journey, Uncharted, Demons Souls, etc.

    Concerning hardware, the PC does cost more. But one should be reminded that PCs don't just play games. I can do things on my PC that the consoles can't ever do. Can I make vectors on a console? Can I draw? Can I write my own stories, or read e-books? Can I open 60 tabs in my web browser? Can I run a game at max, and Alt-Tab out to go watch some Youtube? Can I have all of this open and running without performance hitches or hindrance on a console? No. When you get into PC gaming, you're buying a multi-tasking monster that can just happen to play games quite well. That's how I view it anyway.
    Add me on Steam!


    [Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

  21. #17
    Veteran
    Cyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    24
    Posts
    4,276
    Rep Power
    71
    Points
    11,593 (0 Banked)
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Cos why not both?

    Let's looks past the price debate. Not every multiplatform game is objectively a 'better' experience on PC. Some are, some aren't. Some games are PC only, some are Playstation only. Many of the most iconic games are Nintendo only*. So why restrict yourself?

    *I say somewhat hypocritically as the last Ninty console I bought was the Gamecube

  22. #18
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,578
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    94,899 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    It will be fine.
    And there isn't a next gen per se in PC world since the hardware is upgradable and continuously improving each year.
    oh there's going to be a next-gen hardware. Maybe not right away but it will come out sooner or later. why? next-gen games aren't compatible with 32-bit so it's going to open the flood gates. we're not going to see 2GB cards much longer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Concerning hardware, the PC does cost more. But one should be reminded that PCs don't just play games. I can do things on my PC that the consoles can't ever do. Can I make vectors on a console? Can I draw? Can I write my own stories, or read e-books? Can I open 60 tabs in my web browser?
    of course, both have their advantages. the advantages have their own downfalls too.
    Can I run a game at max,
    can't do that with a mediocre PC either unless you're speaking about the top-tier ones. and if you mean those then they cost heck of a lot more than a console. we're talking about $1000+ for a video card.

    and Alt-Tab out to go watch some Youtube?
    should be able to do this on the next-gen consoles. it would likely be the home button to do this.

    Can I have all of this open and running without performance hitches or hindrance on a console? No.
    can't really do that on PC either chief.

    When you get into PC gaming, you're buying a multi-tasking monster that can just happen to play games quite well. That's how I view it anyway.
    the problem with PCs overall is that they're getting worse (with efficiency) as we go further (crysis 3 runs at full with 3x titans) and the problems are mostly fixed, they can't really improve on their biggest issues. Whereas the biggest issue with consoles are 1) power 2) multitasking. both are being addressed as we continue on.

  23. Likes Usagi-Pire likes this post
  24. #19
    overstepping the mark
    -Shafty-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,341
    Rep Power
    129
    Points
    36,651 (10,700 Banked)
    Items User name style
    this all sounds very complicated. i'll stick to putting a disc in an hole and pressing a button, ta!


    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

  25. #20
    Elite Member
    K2D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,586
    Rep Power
    66
    Points
    8,698 (0 Banked)
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Ah, yes, the Gamer chooses -both-.

    Both consoles and both 'PC and consoles'.

    Edit: reading more into it, I think it's all about cost and ease of use. 'Everybody' has a pc or mac. They see that their machines can't handle games and assume getting one that can atop of that other pc or mac, isn't worth it. Neither in cost nor in time.
    Last edited by K2D; 07-20-2013 at 22:57.

  26. #21
    Forum Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol!!
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9,406
    Rep Power
    86
    Points
    33,583 (15,799 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I donno if 2GB of VRAM would be enough to display all the effects with the AA and 1080p resolution. Just guessing, I donno. I haven't really been in PC gaming for a long time now.

    maybe the RAM isn't that important if the design compensates for it.
    I think playing at 1080 2GB would be fine. If not there is a 4GB 770. I don't think the memory thing is a massive issue. The 690 only has 3GB (or 6gb shared) memory but that'll still be eating games for a while yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    As pointed out, gamers go where the games are. I greatly prefer the PC as gaming device, but I've also enjoyed many titles that belong to the consoles; Read Dead Redemption, MGS4, God of War, Gears of War, Halo, Journey, Uncharted, Demons Souls, etc.

    Concerning hardware, the PC does cost more. But one should be reminded that PCs don't just play games. I can do things on my PC that the consoles can't ever do. Can I make vectors on a console? Can I draw? Can I write my own stories, or read e-books? Can I open 60 tabs in my web browser? Can I run a game at max, and Alt-Tab out to go watch some Youtube? Can I have all of this open and running without performance hitches or hindrance on a console? No. When you get into PC gaming, you're buying a multi-tasking monster that can just happen to play games quite well. That's how I view it anyway.
    Yeah I think that is one thing that always gets looked over is that when you get a PC you aren't just getting something to play games on. You're getting something that does near enough everything and anything you want to do. And as you said, multitasking is a wonderful thing

    Edit: I do think the debates between consoles and PC always forget that games don't need to be run on maximum to match or exceed the console versions. Also. Whilst it takes 3 titans to run Crysis, that isn't at 1080p that's at 4K so 4 times than what consoles will be pushing.




    BBK. Tapatalking.
    Last edited by BBK..; 07-20-2013 at 23:16.

  27. #22
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,578
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    94,899 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    I think playing at 1080 2GB would be fine. If not there is a 4GB 770. I don't think the memory thing is a massive issue. The 690 only has 3GB (or 6gb shared) memory but that'll still be eating games for a while yet.
    1080p with 2GB next-gen would be at max?

    4GB would a $100 more. I think we're going to see next-gen hardware on PC coming out soon that will be designed for 64-bit OSs.

    Yeah I think that is one thing that always gets looked over is that when you get a PC you aren't just getting something to play games on. You're getting something that does near enough everything and anything you want to do. And as you said, multitasking is a wonderful thing
    i don't even know how popular multitasking is anyway while gaming on PC. I don't remember myself doing more than browsing or maybe putting on a video...but that's if i wasn't doing anything in the game.

    You can browse while gaming on the Vita now. I think that's adequate.

    Do we really need a burn a DVD while gaming? On paper all that sounds awesome but really I don't see anyone doing it...especially because you'll be causing hitches and stuff while playing.

  28. #23
    Friendship is Carrots
    Nerevar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Equestria
    Age
    21
    Posts
    15,360
    Rep Power
    132
    Points
    75,079 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    There's a reason I mentioned all of that, Sufi. For a 180$ CPU, you can do those things without issue. I do it on my stock 2500k. I have Photoshop open to two 4k resolution drawings, Open Office, 4 windows of Firefox with about 45 tabs, Steam, multiple folders open, Windows Media Player, and occasionally I'll open Illustrator to work on my vectors. I usually have a game running in the background. This has been the case for about two months now.

    I realize not everyone does this. My point was that when you buy hardware for a computer, it's not all allocated to gaming. It's a machine designed for multitasking. I think people forget that sometimes.
    Add me on Steam!


    [Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

  29. #24
    Dedicated Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma
    PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Posts
    1,062
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    12,958 (0 Banked)
    The hardcore gamer never "chooses" a platform. A true hardcore gamer owns ALL platforms.

  30. #25
    Apprentice

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Gothenburg
    Age
    30
    Posts
    206
    Rep Power
    50
    Points
    1,357 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I think we're going to see next-gen hardware on PC coming out soon that will be designed for 64-bit OSs.
    Just curious, what do you mean by that? What adaptations to 64-bit OSs aren't already in place?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.