Dedicated Member
    Items User name style

Digital Foundry Tech Analysis: Assassin's Creed 4

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...assins-creed-4

Personally feel Eurogamer and Digital Foundry are devaluing themselves with so many premature articles. But I guess it pays the bills.

Six releases of one game from eight studios, all within a month. Credit must be given where it's due, Ubisoft is certainly keeping its arms wide open to owners of every format with the launch of its stealthy swashbuckler, Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag. To our count we have versions on PC, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3 and PS4 all etched in for a busy November - a similar case for Watch Dogs' debut that same month. It's a cross-gen project on a scale we've rarely seen before, though surprisingly, principle development only started at Ubisoft Montreal around mid-2011. For such a grand effort this hasn't been much time at all, meaning satellite studios in Kiev, Montpelier, Sofia, Singapore, and Quebec have been tasked with aiding the design of the single-player mode, while offices in Bucharest and Annecy take charge of its multiplayer portions.

Quite a few cooks circling the broth, then. Based on the game's stop-starting live demo at Sony's E3 conference last month, there is a justified concern that Ubisoft's divided attention might not be doing any favours for unleashing the true next-gen potential in the PS4 and Xbox One versions. The demo is no doubt impressive, taking us from a piratical stupor on the Caribbean beaches to a jungle sneaking mission, and then closing with a pyrotechnic ship battle as our anti-hero, Edward Kenway, takes charge of his Jackdaw frigate. The question is: can a cross-gen game of this kind give us a fair example of what these new consoles bring to the table?

Based on our guided demonstration of the game at E3 - the same demo as shown during the conference, as controlled by a Ubisoft rep - there's plenty going on here to make a case for the premium price-tags of next-gen hardware, though the drawbacks of multi-platform development do creep in. To start, environmental design appears closer in tone to that of Far Cry 3's, and makes for a great example of how loading screens have been cut out of the equation when transitioning from on-foot stealth in jungles to navigating the seas. What appears to be a push for 1080p native resolution can't be faulted by the naked eye here either, though this crisp presentation lays bare some assets which clearly belong to the previous generation.
    Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Items PlayStationDiceBattlefield 3
    AC4 for next gen from what I saw from E3, looked decidedly last gen IMO. Had they not said it was running on the PS4, I would've assumed it was the 360/PS3 version. Maybe that final polish before it ships will change that?

3. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by N0REGARD4LIFE View Post
    AC4 for next gen from what I saw from E3, looked decidedly last gen IMO. Had they not said it was running on the PS4, I would've assumed it was the 360/PS3 version. Maybe that final polish before it ships will change that?
    remember all videos we have seen so far on youtube and gaming sites is compress to $#@!tiness.
    Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Elite Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yeah. DF occasionally offer a non compressed version to download running at the full respective frame rate

BBK. Tapatalking.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    AC4 doesn't look next gen. Rushed annual spin off title like always. Also I hope next gen Ubi optimizes AC games better (not crossing my fingers)
    I'll buy the true next gen AC when it comes out.

I dont mind an assassins creed every year or preferably 18 months to smooth it out. The cliffhangers are too much for me to wait 2 -3 years and too many historic periods to fill in.
    But i will be seriously disappointed if the single player is not 60fps on the ps4. I might just not cancel it, the graphics didnt look so out of the world to justify a 30fps of a old gen game on a new system. And id rather have the 60fps.
    and this is coming from someone who has brought all the AS games, including the portables. I even loved as3 lol
    so as a longtime fan, i want 60fps for the single player mode

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    What was with the zero frames per second moments lol? I hope they fix that for launch.

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by james103 View Post
    Personally feel Eurogamer and Digital Foundry are devaluing themselves with so many premature articles. But I guess it pays the bills.
    Spam bot alarm!

Thread Information