View Poll Results: Are you planing to also get the PS4 Eye Camera?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, probably from the beginning

17 29.31%
  • Not soon, maybe some time after release

26 44.83%
  • Not at all

15 25.86%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Kinect has processors inside the Camera Housing itself and much of the processing is done there. Unless I'm mistaken, the PS4Eye is like the PS3Eye in that it doesn't have any processors in the camera housing, and the data is just feed to the PS4 for processing. This is one of the major reasons why the cost is higher for the Kinect Camera itself. Overall cost of full motion control is actually higher on Playstation side though when you added in a Move and Nav Controller to the mix. Thankfully we'll get to re-use these so it shouldn't be any extra investment beyond the new Camera.

I personally like the Playstations approach w/ a controller and Gyro's and triggers. It's much better for most motion related stuff. It's very good at targeting with guns for example.

For completely controller-less gaming, I think the Kinect 2 has a slight advantage w/ having one IR and one RGB camera.

That said, I really haven't looked into it too deeply.
    well youve looked into it deeper than i have clearly lol. Im with you i believe id prefer some kind of controller with the camera deal. After all the years of using one itd be weird to game wtihout

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    if they support it and i agree with GSK here, it's neutered from the beginning...so i donno, if there are enough games then i'll get it, otherwise i have no faith in it. it's not realistic to arbitrarily push the device for support, developers have to come to it.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    Since devs can't count on every console having it like with Xbox One, the answer is NO. The support for the optional MOVE and past PlayStation EYEs was pathetic because of it. At least if I'm gonna have something spy on me () I at least want it to be widely used and supported by devs!
    There was an interesting article talking about this subject. And they made a good point, if there are multiplatform games that come out and use the Kinect to do cool stuff that the Eye is also capable of doing, there is no reason they wouldn't add the ability on the PS4 version. It wouldn't take any significant amount of more development time, they'd just be optimizing it for the PS4 Eye. Sony has also mentioned not wanting to leave the Eye in the background this time, I think that's part the Playroom possibly being pre-installed on all systems, and other devs possibly making more Playroom games to add to it in time for launch. Media Molecule is also working on that cool sculpting and music project that is to include the Move controller and the Eye. It seems they're gonna be pushing the PS4 Eye pretty hard actually this next gen. We should know for sure after the first 6 months to a year or so of release.

4. Likes Omar likes this post
    Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by XtraTrstrL View Post
    There was an interesting article talking about this subject. And they made a good point, if there are multiplatform games that come out and use the Kinect to do cool stuff that the Eye is also capable of doing, there is no reason they wouldn't add the ability on the PS4 version. It wouldn't take any significant amount of more development time, they'd just be optimizing it for the PS4 Eye. Sony has also mentioned not wanting to leave the Eye in the background this time, I think that's part the Playroom possibly being pre-installed on all systems, and other devs possibly making more Playroom games to add to it in time for launch. Media Molecule is also working on that cool sculpting and music project that is to include the Move controller and the Eye. It seems they're gonna be pushing the PS4 Eye pretty hard actually this next gen. We should know for sure after the first 6 months to a year or so of release.
    well i agree that if the kinect could do it, then the ps4 eye could do it. have a link to that article?

Forum Overseer
    interesting point because i also said that one time but had forgotten about it. it's almost like we should be thanking MS for the kinect standardization.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Quote Originally Posted by KnotGamer901 View Post
    well i agree that if the kinect could do it, then the ps4 eye could do it. have a link to that article?
    I've been looking this whole time, but can't find the damn article. I just find forum posts stating the same theory. The main thing I keep seeing is that most techies feel that there should be no reason devs wouldn't port Kinect functions in multiplats to PS4 Eye, as long as it's not using Kinect features not possible in PS4 Eye. And just as important, as long as the tools and APIs of the PS4 Eye are easy to use and make portability smooth.

Ultimate Veteran
    No camera for me

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    I've been looking this whole time, but can't find the damn article. I just find forum posts stating the same theory. The main thing I keep seeing is that most techies feel that there should be no reason devs wouldn't port Kinect functions in multiplats to PS4 Eye, as long as it's not using Kinect features not possible in PS4 Eye. And just as important, as long as the tools and APIs of the PS4 Eye are easy to use and make portability smooth.
    Yea cause Taz explained that the kinect is built different than the eye so it is possible for it to do some things the eye couldn't i suppose. quick question, whats an API?
    @coolguy, good contribution dude. always top knotch lol

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    I LOVE PS Move so yeah :P

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    quick question, whats an API?
    application programming interface - "specifies how some software components should interact with each other. In practice, most often an API is a library that includes specifications for routines, data structures, object classes, and variables. An API specification can take many forms, including an International Standard such as POSIX, vendor documentation such as the Microsoft Windows API, the libraries of a programming language, e.g., Standard Template Library in C++ or Java API. An API differs from an application binary interface (ABI) in that an API is source code based while an ABI is a binary interface. For instance POSIX is an API, while the Linux Standard Base is an ABI."

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    application programming interface
    oh ok so as long as the ps4 eye is easy to work with they should have it out for both is what you're saying?

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    oh ok so as long as the ps4 eye is easy to work with they should have it out for both is what you're saying?
    I guess,

1. as long as it's easy to work with.

2. it's easy a smooth transition from it's api to kinect2's api.

3. the devs aren't doing too much kinect2 specific stuff with the game in question, ofcourse.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Why does this forum do this nonsense? Always does the loading forever, then the internal 500 error crap. Made me double post.

Anyway, yeah, as long as the tools and api aren't a pain, PS4 Eye functions should be ported from most multiplats that use Xbone Kinect features that aren't unique to Kinect.
    Last edited by XtraTrstrL; 07-24-2013 at 05:13.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Why does this forum do this nonsense? Always does the loading forever, then the internal 500 error crap. Made me double post.

Anyway, yeah, as long as the tools and api aren't a pain, PS4 Eye functions should be ported from most multiplats that use Xbone Kinect features that aren't unique to Kinect.
    yea i got the same error. quite annoying. well I see what you're saying. I guess like you said, we'll have to wait about 6 months to a year after release to see if the devs are really gonna pursue it or not.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Just looking at the upgraded specs of the camera, and how much they are looking back at past mistakes with the PS2 and PS3 overall, I don't see how they can possibly not see what they did wrong with the cameras. They simply didn't support them enough, and they allowed them to just drift off to the sidelines. There's just too much in the APUs that the cameras can make use of, like the augmented reality, and really top notch facial recognition and the 4 mics for voice recognition, they definitely have some magic tricks up their sleeves. They'll be getting their 1st parties making some cool stuff that will entice 3rd parties to hop on. The fact that the Media Molecule tech demo with the scuplting and music playing thing was an actual project is enough to get me really excited. I'm sure they'll start adding tons of more stuff to make people feel they have to have the PS4 Eye. The price is decent enough, it's the same price as the new controller($60). So once they have a few AAA titles that push the Eye, and they get a big enough userbase, 3rd party devs will just start making games for it regardless of what's going on with the Kinect 2 and the fact it isn't bundled.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Just looking at the upgraded specs of the camera, and how much they are looking back at past mistakes with the PS2 and PS3 overall, I don't see how they can possibly not see what they did wrong with the cameras. They simply didn't support them enough, and they allowed them to just drift off to the sidelines. There's just too much in the APUs that the cameras can make use of, like the augmented reality, and really top notch facial recognition and the 4 mics for voice recognition, they definitely have some magic tricks up their sleeves. They'll be getting their 1st parties making some cool stuff that will entice 3rd parties to hop on. The fact that the Media Molecule tech demo with the scuplting and music playing thing was an actual project is enough to get me really excited. I'm sure they'll start adding tons of more stuff to make people feel they have to have the PS4 Eye. The price is decent enough, it's the same price as the new controller($60). So once they have a few AAA titles that push the Eye, and they get a big enough userbase, 3rd party devs will just start making games for it regardless of what's going on with the Kinect 2 and the fact it isn't bundled.
    well i agree that that would be the strategy. use the 1st party AAA devs to push some content and hopefully others will follow. You dont think that will bring down the gameplay at all? Like, maybe the dev wasn't totally comfortable incorporating move in the game and then being "forced" to?

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    well i agree that that would be the strategy. use the 1st party AAA devs to push some content and hopefully others will follow. You dont think that will bring down the gameplay at all? Like, maybe the dev wasn't totally comfortable incorporating move in the game and then being "forced" to?
    Well, I dunno, I doubt Media Molecule was forced to do that scuplting project. It seems like they just loved the idea of the new possibilities with the move controller and the new camera. So, they started doing something new and innovative. So, I figure the same would go for other devs. They'd have a game or 2 that were being build around the idea to begin with I'm sure, not just go to some devs already working on a game and say "Hey, you gotta add some in-depth PS4 Eye and move functionality before release." That'd be pretty silly, and could cause it to be incorporated badly and be counter-productive overall to trying to make the PS4Eye appealing to gamers.

I'm sure Sony is encouraging 1st parties to use the camera though. They can probably also just grab a few impressive indie devs that are willing to do something cool with it, and have them push something new and cool that uses the camera.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Chalk me down for a big maybe. Isn't really much enticing me too buy. If they use it well I might buy it. Otherwise the extra money will go towards a new game.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Apprentice

I might get it eventually. It depends on if there are games that will use it for unigue and fun things. I could just imagine Hideo Kojima coming up with something great for it to use within the course of gameplay. And that's what im waiting for.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Other than the new and innovative camera-based games, there are some other games that will use small features here and there. There's talk of BF4 using Kinect for something. SquareEnix has mentioned possibly using Voice Recognition for KH3, to give orders to NPC party members. I'm sure other games will use little features like this, which are cool, but not a necessity. Just a minor way to entice us to get the camera for a slighter convenience in-game.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Chalk me down for a big maybe. Isn't really much enticing me too buy. If they use it well I might buy it. Otherwise the extra money will go towards a new game.
    This... probably. I don't really have any reason to get one at the moment. If it offers some really cool features, then maybe.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    IMO, motion control is stupid and I dont want to move/talk when I game. Big fat no for me.. and I use to be excited about the move and bought one.

Sig&Av by Kuro

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4
    DragonAge3DWitcher3Order1886Uncharted4Batman:AKDyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Master Guru
    Yeah I'll pick it up after launch looks pretty cool

Forum Guru
    No plan to buy one.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Getting mine day one my PS4 would be naked without it !! I want to fill that Aux port !!
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Thread Information