Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Forum Elder
    Yungstar 2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    tyneside
    Posts
    2,931
    Rep Power
    59
    Points
    27,909 (0 Banked)

    MSFT will own the indie market?

    MSFT will own the indie market?
    https://twitter.com/TheKevinDent/status/359736179727409153

    Just pause and wait that's all I will say :-O Indie4Eva
    https://twitter.com/TheKevinDent/sta...38121799217154

    MMmmmm... find out in 10 days.
    to believe or not.

    apparently he's a really well sourced MS tech follower kinda like Paul Thurrot and Mary Jo Foley.

  2. #2
    Elite Sage
    Thorzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    11,768
    Rep Power
    113
    Points
    51,899 (713 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    They have a lot to prove. Hopefully it's true. Competition in the end is only good for us gamers
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

  3. #3
    Dedicated Member
    Shingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Posts
    1,334
    Rep Power
    32
    Points
    14,875 (0 Banked)
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Lol everybody, read thekevindent's twitter chat, everybody bombs him , too much fun
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)



    MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

  4. #4
    PSU Live Streamer
    YoungMullah88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Charlotte
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Posts
    14,275
    Rep Power
    112
    Points
    31,896 (1,800 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    yay for them

  5. #5
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,105
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    146,204 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Msoft? Indie? No.




  6. #6
    Elite Sage
    Two4DaMoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,449
    Rep Power
    111
    Points
    15,302 (75,576 Banked)
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!


    Keep the faith.

    Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

  7. #7
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Keep the faith.
    That was my reaction when I read this thread title. lol

  8. #8
    overstepping the mark
    -Shafty-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Age
    40
    Posts
    8,423
    Rep Power
    132
    Points
    38,542 (10,700 Banked)
    Items User name style
    by indie do they mean dlc and timed exclusives?


    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

  9. #9
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,341
    Rep Power
    109
    Points
    68,116 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    MSFT will own the indie market?
    https://twitter.com/TheKevinDent/status/359736179727409153

    Just pause and wait that's all I will say :-O Indie4Eva
    https://twitter.com/TheKevinDent/sta...38121799217154

    MMmmmm... find out in 10 days.
    to believe or not.

    apparently he's a really well sourced MS tech follower kinda like Paul Thurrot and Mary Jo Foley.
    "apparently"? So before this tweet, you had never heard of him. That's fine. Neither have I.

    sooooo.....why do we care what this guy thinks again?
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  10. #10
    Elite Member
    D3seeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Severn, Maryland
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Posts
    1,816
    Rep Power
    54
    Points
    1,773 (20,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 Slim
    lol. This better be good


  11. #11
    Elite Member
    D3seeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Severn, Maryland
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Posts
    1,816
    Rep Power
    54
    Points
    1,773 (20,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 Slim
    lol. This better be good


  12. #12
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    "apparently"? So before this tweet, you had never heard of him. That's fine. Neither have I. sooooo.....why do we care what this guy thinks again?
    We dont. lol

  13. #13
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    Not surprised. They dominated the Indie games on console this gen. I am glad they embrace indie games so much. They just keep pumping out the great games.

  14. #14
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,341
    Rep Power
    109
    Points
    68,116 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Not surprised. They dominated the Indie games on console this gen. I am glad they embrace indie games so much. They just keep pumping out the great games.
    If they reverse their policy on self-publishing, that might continue. Otherwise.....
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  15. #15
    Elite Member
    D3seeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Severn, Maryland
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Posts
    1,816
    Rep Power
    54
    Points
    1,773 (20,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    If they reverse their policy on self-publishing, that might continue. Otherwise.....
    Yeah. Personally I see things being more evenly split, despite things appearing to be more in Sony's favor.


  16. #16
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,544
    Rep Power
    162
    Points
    160,958 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Don't they already own indie on PC?

  17. #17
    PSU Trophy Manager
    Fenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,604
    Rep Power
    90
    Points
    19,721 (1,000 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    They have a long way to go before that happens. They need to get back the indies they didnt fund, which pretty much all went to steam/PS4 it looks like.

    Sig&Av by Kuro

    PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4
    DragonAge3DWitcher3Order1886Uncharted4Batman:AKDyingLight

    PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

  18. #18
    Superior Member
    JDizzleNO1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    where the sun don't shine
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Posts
    878
    Rep Power
    30
    Points
    2,382 (0 Banked)
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    this source is bollocks, need a more reliable one



  19. #19
    Forum Elder
    Venger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    PSN ID
    LordVenger
    Posts
    2,653
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    2,713 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    As I understand it MS dominated indie gaming this generation for two reasons.

    1) For the first few years of the generation they had the only game in town, for the first year of the 360 it really was the only game in town. Sony didn't really even try to court indie developers for a long time, and their online store was well behind MS's for years. MS had far more users buying digital downloads at the start of the cycle.

    2) MS's draconian acceptance policies on indie games forced indie developers to commit to the smaller PSN market place or exclusivity on XBox. As I understand it MS's policy was basically they get the game first, they get the game looking as good as it will look, they get the game with all the features it will have, or it doesn't go on their system.

    It is increasingly clear now that Sony is the one who learned from past mistakes, while MS has largely stuck to their existing policies and only changed when forced. It is also becoming clear that a lot of indie developers were not happy with their relationship with MS. MS is increasingly being revealed as a nightmare to work with, and actively obstructive to indie developers. This generation they could get away with that kind of thing, that doesn't look to be the case for the next generation. I've no doubt they'll eventually cave on the self publishing issue, like they've caved on most things prior to Xbone's launch. I suspect MS will also have to drop their draconian acceptance policy, because there's a good chance they won't be dominating the market next gen, they won't have a year head start, they won't have a rival without a comprehensive online sales plan and indie policy, they won't have a significantly easier to work with platform and they are seriously lagging behind when it comes to courting the indie community.

  20. #20
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,341
    Rep Power
    109
    Points
    68,116 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    From my perspective as a software developer (not game dev), if I decided I wanted to create a game on PS3 or 360 then the choice would be easy. 360, hands down. Why? Two reasons.

    1. Much simpler. When I was working on my masters in comp science, I gave PS3 programming a shot. Wow. Nevermind the complex CPU, just trying to figure out the development environment was ridiculous. Now I am not sure that indies had to use the same tools I did, but I did read many complaints about poor availability/quality of tools for the PS3 along the way and from what I saw, yeah, it sucked.

    2. 360 is more native. I use Visual Studio every day at work and that is the same dev environment programmers for the 360 use. So naturally, I would already know my way around and could probably get something very simple up in a relatively short amount of time. Plus, I already know C# very well. Would need to learn XNA and graphics dev, but still the learning curve is much smaller.

    So what about going forward? PS4 developers will also have the luxury of using Visual Studio as their dev environment so that is a huge obstacle removed. Of course, I doubt getting started on PS4 is as simple as downloading XNA or whatever other components indie developers need. I understand there is a process to get approved to work on the PS4 which will then give the devs access to the development library and any additional tools they need. So whereas MS makes it easier to get started, with the self-publishing, Sony is making it much easier for devs to "ship" their product. No need to latch on to a major publisher for something that is never really "published". just submit the game to Sony and wait for approval.

    No predictions here, but I think indies definitely have more options this time around.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  21. #21
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,544
    Rep Power
    162
    Points
    160,958 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    From my perspective as a software developer (not game dev), if I decided I wanted to create a game on PS3 or 360 then the choice would be easy. 360, hands down. Why? Two reasons.

    1. Much simpler. When I was working on my masters in comp science, I gave PS3 programming a shot. Wow. Nevermind the complex CPU, just trying to figure out the development environment was ridiculous. Now I am not sure that indies had to use the same tools I did, but I did read many complaints about poor availability/quality of tools for the PS3 along the way and from what I saw, yeah, it sucked.

    2. 360 is more native. I use Visual Studio every day at work and that is the same dev environment programmers for the 360 use. So naturally, I would already know my way around and could probably get something very simple up in a relatively short amount of time. Plus, I already know C# very well. Would need to learn XNA and graphics dev, but still the learning curve is much smaller.

    So what about going forward? PS4 developers will also have the luxury of using Visual Studio as their dev environment so that is a huge obstacle removed. Of course, I doubt getting started on PS4 is as simple as downloading XNA or whatever other components indie developers need. I understand there is a process to get approved to work on the PS4 which will then give the devs access to the development library and any additional tools they need. So whereas MS makes it easier to get started, with the self-publishing, Sony is making it much easier for devs to "ship" their product. No need to latch on to a major publisher for something that is never really "published". just submit the game to Sony and wait for approval.

    No predictions here, but I think indies definitely have more options this time around.
    More options is fantastic, in all honesty, the barriers to entry were so huge, even with the 360, that it was like banging your head against a brick wall. A wall which just about broke me as a indie to be honest. Our title would never have made a good pc game, but an ideal console game. Begging to publishers is something which I hated.

  22. #22
    Elite Member
    D3seeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Severn, Maryland
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Posts
    1,816
    Rep Power
    54
    Points
    1,773 (20,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 Slim
    Well if this tweeter is anything to go off of MS might be ready to flip-flop again. It would certainly level the playing field.


  23. #23
    Forum Elder
    Yungstar 2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    tyneside
    Posts
    2,931
    Rep Power
    59
    Points
    27,909 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    "apparently"? So before this tweet, you had never heard of him. That's fine. Neither have I.

    sooooo.....why do we care what this guy thinks again?
    Just like other's I decide to follow, I ask others To see what they are about. Once informed i follow them as I have with Paul T and Mary J F or I don't as I've done with others.

    If this turns out to be fluff. I'll stop following him and no harm done. If he's right, then Indie games aplenty.


    Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

  24. #24
    Forum Elder
    Yungstar 2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    tyneside
    Posts
    2,931
    Rep Power
    59
    Points
    27,909 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    We dont. lol
    Great insight. +Rep...



    Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

  25. #25
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,341
    Rep Power
    109
    Points
    68,116 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    Just like other's I decide to follow, I ask others To see what they are about. Once informed i follow them as I have with Paul T and Mary J F or I don't as I've done with others.

    If this turns out to be fluff. I'll stop following him and no harm done. If he's right, then Indie games aplenty.


    Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    Guess we will know in a few years. Bookmark this thread.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.