Forum Elder

MSFT will own the indie market?

https://twitter.com/TheKevinDent/status/359736179727409153

Just pause and wait that's all I will say :-O Indie4Eva
    https://twitter.com/TheKevinDent/sta...38121799217154

MMmmmm... find out in 10 days.
    to believe or not.

apparently he's a really well sourced MS tech follower kinda like Paul Thurrot and Mary Jo Foley.

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    They have a lot to prove. Hopefully it's true. Competition in the end is only good for us gamers
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Lol everybody, read thekevindent's twitter chat, everybody bombs him , too much fun
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    yay for them

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Msoft? Indie? No.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style

Keep the faith.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Keep the faith.
    That was my reaction when I read this thread title. lol

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    by indie do they mean dlc and timed exclusives?

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    https://twitter.com/TheKevinDent/status/359736179727409153

Just pause and wait that's all I will say :-O Indie4Eva
    https://twitter.com/TheKevinDent/sta...38121799217154

MMmmmm... find out in 10 days.
    to believe or not.

apparently he's a really well sourced MS tech follower kinda like Paul Thurrot and Mary Jo Foley.
    "apparently"? So before this tweet, you had never heard of him. That's fine. Neither have I.

sooooo.....why do we care what this guy thinks again?
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    lol. This better be good

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    lol. This better be good

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    "apparently"? So before this tweet, you had never heard of him. That's fine. Neither have I. sooooo.....why do we care what this guy thinks again?
    We dont. lol

Soldier 95B
    Not surprised. They dominated the Indie games on console this gen. I am glad they embrace indie games so much. They just keep pumping out the great games.

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Not surprised. They dominated the Indie games on console this gen. I am glad they embrace indie games so much. They just keep pumping out the great games.
    If they reverse their policy on self-publishing, that might continue. Otherwise.....
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    If they reverse their policy on self-publishing, that might continue. Otherwise.....
    Yeah. Personally I see things being more evenly split, despite things appearing to be more in Sony's favor.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Don't they already own indie on PC?

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    They have a long way to go before that happens. They need to get back the indies they didnt fund, which pretty much all went to steam/PS4 it looks like.

Sig&Av by Kuro

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4
    DragonAge3DWitcher3Order1886Uncharted4Batman:AKDyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    this source is bollocks, need a more reliable one

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    LordVenger
    Items User name style
    As I understand it MS dominated indie gaming this generation for two reasons.

1) For the first few years of the generation they had the only game in town, for the first year of the 360 it really was the only game in town. Sony didn't really even try to court indie developers for a long time, and their online store was well behind MS's for years. MS had far more users buying digital downloads at the start of the cycle.

2) MS's draconian acceptance policies on indie games forced indie developers to commit to the smaller PSN market place or exclusivity on XBox. As I understand it MS's policy was basically they get the game first, they get the game looking as good as it will look, they get the game with all the features it will have, or it doesn't go on their system.

It is increasingly clear now that Sony is the one who learned from past mistakes, while MS has largely stuck to their existing policies and only changed when forced. It is also becoming clear that a lot of indie developers were not happy with their relationship with MS. MS is increasingly being revealed as a nightmare to work with, and actively obstructive to indie developers. This generation they could get away with that kind of thing, that doesn't look to be the case for the next generation. I've no doubt they'll eventually cave on the self publishing issue, like they've caved on most things prior to Xbone's launch. I suspect MS will also have to drop their draconian acceptance policy, because there's a good chance they won't be dominating the market next gen, they won't have a year head start, they won't have a rival without a comprehensive online sales plan and indie policy, they won't have a significantly easier to work with platform and they are seriously lagging behind when it comes to courting the indie community.

From my perspective as a software developer (not game dev), if I decided I wanted to create a game on PS3 or 360 then the choice would be easy. 360, hands down. Why? Two reasons.

1. Much simpler. When I was working on my masters in comp science, I gave PS3 programming a shot. Wow. Nevermind the complex CPU, just trying to figure out the development environment was ridiculous. Now I am not sure that indies had to use the same tools I did, but I did read many complaints about poor availability/quality of tools for the PS3 along the way and from what I saw, yeah, it sucked.

2. 360 is more native. I use Visual Studio every day at work and that is the same dev environment programmers for the 360 use. So naturally, I would already know my way around and could probably get something very simple up in a relatively short amount of time. Plus, I already know C# very well. Would need to learn XNA and graphics dev, but still the learning curve is much smaller.

So what about going forward? PS4 developers will also have the luxury of using Visual Studio as their dev environment so that is a huge obstacle removed. Of course, I doubt getting started on PS4 is as simple as downloading XNA or whatever other components indie developers need. I understand there is a process to get approved to work on the PS4 which will then give the devs access to the development library and any additional tools they need. So whereas MS makes it easier to get started, with the self-publishing, Sony is making it much easier for devs to "ship" their product. No need to latch on to a major publisher for something that is never really "published". just submit the game to Sony and wait for approval.

No predictions here, but I think indies definitely have more options this time around.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    From my perspective as a software developer (not game dev), if I decided I wanted to create a game on PS3 or 360 then the choice would be easy. 360, hands down. Why? Two reasons.

1. Much simpler. When I was working on my masters in comp science, I gave PS3 programming a shot. Wow. Nevermind the complex CPU, just trying to figure out the development environment was ridiculous. Now I am not sure that indies had to use the same tools I did, but I did read many complaints about poor availability/quality of tools for the PS3 along the way and from what I saw, yeah, it sucked.

2. 360 is more native. I use Visual Studio every day at work and that is the same dev environment programmers for the 360 use. So naturally, I would already know my way around and could probably get something very simple up in a relatively short amount of time. Plus, I already know C# very well. Would need to learn XNA and graphics dev, but still the learning curve is much smaller.

So what about going forward? PS4 developers will also have the luxury of using Visual Studio as their dev environment so that is a huge obstacle removed. Of course, I doubt getting started on PS4 is as simple as downloading XNA or whatever other components indie developers need. I understand there is a process to get approved to work on the PS4 which will then give the devs access to the development library and any additional tools they need. So whereas MS makes it easier to get started, with the self-publishing, Sony is making it much easier for devs to "ship" their product. No need to latch on to a major publisher for something that is never really "published". just submit the game to Sony and wait for approval.

No predictions here, but I think indies definitely have more options this time around.
    More options is fantastic, in all honesty, the barriers to entry were so huge, even with the 360, that it was like banging your head against a brick wall. A wall which just about broke me as a indie to be honest. Our title would never have made a good pc game, but an ideal console game. Begging to publishers is something which I hated.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Well if this tweeter is anything to go off of MS might be ready to flip-flop again. It would certainly level the playing field.

Forum Elder
    "apparently"? So before this tweet, you had never heard of him. That's fine. Neither have I.

sooooo.....why do we care what this guy thinks again?
    Just like other's I decide to follow, I ask others To see what they are about. Once informed i follow them as I have with Paul T and Mary J F or I don't as I've done with others.

If this turns out to be fluff. I'll stop following him and no harm done. If he's right, then Indie games aplenty.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    We dont. lol
    Great insight. +Rep...

Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    Just like other's I decide to follow, I ask others To see what they are about. Once informed i follow them as I have with Paul T and Mary J F or I don't as I've done with others.

If this turns out to be fluff. I'll stop following him and no harm done. If he's right, then Indie games aplenty.

Guess we will know in a few years. Bookmark this thread.

Thread Information