Latest PSU headlines:

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX

Need Community Input: 1Password

In the past several years, I've picked up a lot of good organization habits and have sought to strictly organize the aspects of my life that can be neatly controlled. After all, I think the more things you can put into a trusted system and make a routine, the fewer things will constantly be nagging at the back of your head and driving you bananas.

One such thing that bothers me is the abundance of usernames, passwords, and data I have floating around. I have accounts on so many sites, so many random e-mail addresses, I couldn't begin to name all of them or find them all if I rigorously tried. Some memberships were incurred randomly, and quickly forgotten. In this day and age of hackings and fraud, it can be somewhat discouraging and even frightening to use the web because you're constantly reminded that you have very little control.

1Password, an application I could get for both my Mac (for $49.99) and iOS (for $17.99) seems to be one solution. If you don't know anything about it, this application permits you to store all passwords into one place, and encrypts them every time you log-off of the app. Users need only remember one "master" password, with which they can un-encrypt the data and view all of their usernames, passwords, and so on.

I like the idea of being able to adopt more advanced passwords and having to worry less about being hacked or forgetting about certain accounts, but it seems like that is a lot of money to drop on an application. I've been tossing this over in my head for a few weeks now, and still cannot seem to decide what the best course of action is to take. Any opinions?
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Need Community Input: 1Password

I love 1Password... I can't imagine being without it. It's the best password utility I've ever used... and I'm pretty sure I've tried most of them (a crapload anyway). Having said that... it's going to sort of become obsolete once OS X 10.9 Mavericks and iOS 7 are released since they'll be using a feature called "iCloud Keychain"... which allows you to store your username and passwords and whatnot in the cloud... so you'll have that data on your Mac or phone at the same time.

iCloud Keychain isn't quite the same though... so I may still use it. We'll see.

If you're asking if 1Password is worth the money... then yes. I think I have about 50 passwords stored in the thing. It's served its purpose and then some.
    Last edited by Brandon; 07-24-2013 at 07:16.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    well the logical answer is that if you have that many passwords and account information that gives you trouble remembering then yes it would be worth it. My only concern would be that ALL of your stuff is stored under that thing, and there is somebody out there who could get in it, hackers are assholes, smart assholes. However, I don't have any experience with it so I can't speak on that part. PBM says it works good and I know he knows his stuff so it might be a good investment after all. Might cure a bit of your headaches.

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I use keepass which is free but I don't think they do an ios or MAc version

www.keepass.info

I stick this on aUSB stick and only plug it in when I want to use a password.
    Last edited by keefy; 07-24-2013 at 16:44.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I just have a bunch of passwords. Otherwise, I could just use the same password for all the login sites.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by KnotGamer901 View Post
    well the logical answer is that if you have that many passwords and account information that gives you trouble remembering then yes it would be worth it. My only concern would be that ALL of your stuff is stored under that thing, and there is somebody out there who could get in it, hackers are assholes, smart assholes. However, I don't have any experience with it so I can't speak on that part. PBM says it works good and I know he knows his stuff so it might be a good investment after all. Might cure a bit of your headaches.
    I believe it's 256-bit encrypted and the passwords are stored locally, so it's pretty secure. If someone genuinely wanted that data, it would take them a very long time to hack it.

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/security.html

When it goes into the "cloud", it's encrypted beforehand, so it's also secure there as well.
    Last edited by Brandon; 07-24-2013 at 17:26.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Ultimate Veteran
    I use 1Password and its the best money I've ever spent on an application. Can't recommend it enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Other opinions are available.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    I believe it's 256-bit encrypted and the passwords are stored locally, so it's pretty secure. If someone genuinely wanted that data, it would take them a very long time to hack it.

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/security.html

When it goes into the "cloud", it's encrypted beforehand, so it's also secure there as well.
    well I guess that cures my posed ailment there pbm

moving on tapatalk

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Thanks for all of the input, guys. I'm going to hold off on buying this for awhile and see what Apple has to offer free of cost.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post
    Thanks for all of the input, guys. I'm going to hold off on buying this for awhile and see what Apple has to offer free of cost.
    Well it won't be "free" exactly, you still have to purchase the upgrade to Mavericks... and you have to make sure your computer is eligible for said upgrade. But I think the last upgrade was like 20 bucks or so... so it's not a horrible setback. iOS 7, of course, will be free.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Well it won't be "free" exactly, you still have to purchase the upgrade to Mavericks... and you have to make sure your computer is eligible for said upgrade. But I think the last upgrade was like 20 bucks or so... so it's not a horrible setback. iOS 7, of course, will be free.
    I just got a new Macbook Pro, so if it can't be upgraded to Mavericks... we'll have a problem.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post
    I just got a new Macbook Pro, so if it can't be upgraded to Mavericks... we'll have a problem.
    Well then you should probably be okay.

Also, it would be good to wait anyway because 1Password version 4 is going to be released soon for the Mac... and the upgrade from 3 to 4 is not free.

Ultimate Veteran
    If your Mac is no older than 6 months when Mavericks is released your entitled to get it for free. So keep on an eye on that.

Also if you buy 1Password from the Mac App Store you do get 1Password 4 for free (they are doing it like this to migrate completely to the MAS)
    Other opinions are available.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhamun View Post
    If your Mac is no older than 6 months when Mavericks is released your entitled to get it for free. So keep on an eye on that.

Also if you buy 1Password from the Mac App Store you do get 1Password 4 for free (they are doing it like this to migrate completely to the MAS)
    I don't have the MAS version, but that's good to know.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    I've considered apps like 1password but never really gave it a try, seemed to complicated. Although I did try other competing apps.

Right now I use The Vault which is free and imported my chrome passwords to it. It provides a browsable catalogue of all my passwords which is exactly what I need. It was very troublesome to do it though and since there isn't a sync option I haven't updated The Vault with new passwords for more than a year. :/

All I want from a password app is to sync passwords from chrome on my mac and make them browsable on an iOS device. Haven't found one yet.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Thread Information