Latest PSU headlines:

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Thumbs up PlanetSide 2 On PS4 Is 'Basically PC Version On Max Settings'

Creative director on PlanetSide 2 believe the team will get the visuals of the PC version onto PS4.
    PlanetSide 2 is easily one of the best looking games on PC - even in spite of the incredibly tasking CPU/GPU strain - which makes us all the more excited for PlanetSide 2 on PS4.

But will Sony Online Entertainment be able to replicate those visuals on the limits of a console, albeit a fairly powerful one?

"Our plan right now is to basically take the PC game with maximum settings and have that be running on the PS4," confirmed Matt Higby, creative director on the game.

"So there won’t be any limitations in terms of number of players, there won’t be any limitations on the maps – so you aren’t going to get any dumbed down maps or anything like that."

The only change to the core gameplay of PlanetSide 2, says Higby, is its interface - which is the only mouse-heavy part of the game.

"The biggest difference that you’ll see is going to be interface elements," he said, "they’ll be customised to work better with a console controller and other tweaks that make things work on a console game."

"But there won’t be any core gameplay mechanic changes that make PlanetSide what it is. You’ll still have thousands of players per continents, all the vehicles and really deep character progression – all that stuff is going to remain intact."

SOE is targeting the PS4's launch window and is a free-to-play, large-scale MMOFPS, which means no one has an excuse to not play it whenever it does get released.
    Source

I would rather have consistent frames per second then max setting, hopefully they wont sacrifice that for eye candy.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

Forum Sage

Aim high gentlemen!

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    We will see.

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    I have absolutely no doubt that on this brand new console, they'll have no trouble putting PlanetSide 2 at max settings, 60 fps. 8 GB of DDR5 is ridiculous, and I think a lot of people are going to realize just HOW ridiculous very soon. That kind of hardware, with no PC-centric bottlenecks, will be absolutely killer. Probably 2-3 times better than an identically specced PC, once optimized.

Forum Sage

it hasn't got 8GB of DDR5 though...

I know i'm being pedantic but GDDR and DDR aren't the same

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    I know i'm being pedantic but GDDR and DDR aren't the same
    That's fair, you have a point. I mistyped, meant to say GDDR5.

GDDR's high bandwidth/longer latency tradeoff is designed for visual output. I'm just thinking back to the language and rhetoric of developers this generation; nobody would've dared say "we're maxing out the game, that's our goal, period" unless they felt for sure they could do it (and they never could). Developer optimism is much higher for this upcoming generation, to the point where people like Bethesda, SOE, and Square can think about putting their huge games (Elder Scrolls Online, PlanetSide, FF 14) on console without a second thought.

Though I wonder how much strain the sheer number of players will have, for PlanetSide 2. I haven't played on PC, so I can't say whether that high number of animated objects on-screen is a major factor in performance.

7. Likes BBK.. wishes they had posted this first.
    PSU Live Streamer
    This is awesome news. My PC is starting to get dated. And I can't play this game on low settings when shit starts to hit the fan in a fight. Looks like I'll be grabbin this game after all for ps4

Elite Sage
    I wasn't expecting anything less. I need to play this on PS4 thought, as my PC can't run Planetside 2 on highest settings.
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    They could even surpass the PC version.

Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    This is awesome news. My PC is starting to get dated. And I can't play this game on low settings when shit starts to hit the fan in a fight. Looks like I'll be grabbin this game after all for ps4
    You don't own a PS4 yet so that means you have to buy one.
    PC doesnt run it well so you can buy new parts so it does.
    Whats the difference.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    You don't own a PS4 yet so that means you have to buy one.
    PC doesnt run it well so you can buy new parts so it does.
    Whats the difference.
    I'm not going to replace components in a PC that has trouble running 1 game I have moderate interest in when a new console is only a couple months away that can play it, which I'll be getting regardless.

The day is coming that I'll replace my PC as a whole, not just components. But that day is not here yet.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleOnTheRun View Post
    That's fair, you have a point. I mistyped, meant to say GDDR5. GDDR's high bandwidth/longer latency tradeoff is designed for visual output. I'm just thinking back to the language and rhetoric of developers this generation; nobody would've dared say "we're maxing out the game, that's our goal, period" unless they felt for sure they could do it (and they never could). Developer optimism is much higher for this upcoming generation, to the point where people like Bethesda, SOE, and Square can think about putting their huge games (Elder Scrolls Online, PlanetSide, FF 14) on console without a second thought. Though I wonder how much strain the sheer number of players will have, for PlanetSide 2. I haven't played on PC, so I can't say whether that high number of animated objects on-screen is a major factor in performance.
    Mark Cerny explained that PS4 has a solution that makes the longer latency of the GDDR5 a non-issue. Dont recall the details though.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Mark Cerny explained that PS4 has a solution that makes the longer latency of the GDDR5 a non-issue. Dont recall the details though.
    I believe part of it had to do with the HSA, and how the fully unified ram worked. 1 thing was the GPU and CPU not needing to constantly erase and copy from cache to each other, they can just grab the data. The quick, small data fetching that's usually done there is lessened which helps eliminate the latency issue. The GPGPU computing would also help.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by XtraTrstrL View Post
    I believe part of it had to do with the HSA, and how the fully unified ram worked. 1 thing was the GPU and CPU not needing to constantly erase and copy from cache to each other, they can just grab the data. The quick, small data fetching that's usually done there is lessened which helps eliminate the latency issue. The GPGPU computing would also help.
    Thanks for that info.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuvian View Post
    I would rather have consistent frames per second then max setting, hopefully they wont sacrifice that for eye candy.
    I highly doubt they will give us a 2fps jittery mess.

Considering they will have access to the metal with PS4 it shouldn't be too far-fetched if at all. They must have aimed decently low PC spec wise so more people could enjoy it, so yeah. This sounds nice, and I can't wait to see what comes of this.

Thread Information