Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Thumbs up Sony's PS4 Has 50% Lead Over Microsoft's Xbox One, Says Strategy Analytics Survey

Sony's PS4 will have the edge over Microsoft's Xbox One in the new games console battle which will erupt later this year according to feedback from Strategy Analytics' latest ConsumerMetrix survey. According to the report, "Games Consoles: Purchase Intention Index Q2 2013", 14.2 percent of consumers are very or somewhat likely to buy a PS4 within the next twelve months compared to 9.5 percent who will buy an Xbox One. If the results were reflected in sales data this would imply that sales of PS4s would be nearly fifty percent higher than Xbox One. The survey interviewed a representative population sample of more than 6000 respondents across the US and Europe in June 2013.

"Our survey suggests that consumers believe the PS4 will win the early phase of the next generation console war," says Jia Wu, Director, Connected Home Devices (CHD). "Sony's performance at E3 was widely accepted as superior to Microsoft's, and the survey evidence suggests this has already fed through to the wider consumer market."

The report notes that the PS4 leads in both the US and Europe, in spite of the fact that Xbox 360 currently has a lead over the PS3 in the US. In the key 20-35 age group nearly 30 percent of respondents are very or somewhat likely to buy a PS4 compared to under 20 percent for Xbox One.

"There are still likely to be a few twists and turns before market launch," says Ed Barton, Director, Digital Media Strategies (DMS). "Microsoft has already demonstrated a willingness to listen to consumer concerns and it will now need to leverage the retention power of Xbox Live and invest in exclusive games if Xbox One is going to recover from its poor showing at E3."

Methodology: Strategy Analytics conducted an online survey, the ConsumerMetrix Survey fielded in June 2013. The sample consisted of n=2062 individuals in the US and n=4118 in Europe ages 15-74. Strategy Analytics weighted the data by country, age, gender and internet use to represent the US and European populations of internet users, respectively.

About Strategy Analytics

Strategy Analytics, Inc. provides timely and actionable market intelligence focused on opportunities and disruptive forces in the areas of emerging technology, communications and media. For more information, please visit http://www.strategyanalytics.com/

US Contact: Jia Wu, +1 617 614 0712 , jwu@strategyanalytics.com

European Contact: Ed Barton, +44 1908 423613 , ebarton@strategyanalytics.com

SOURCE Strategy Analytics

RELATED LINKS
    http://www.strategyanalytics.com
    Source

Not a shocker exactly.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    i guess this week is for the analysts

Veteran
    Doesn't surprise me in the least. I don't expect it to change much either.

Veteran
    Great share, although we already knew this lol.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Really nothing surprising here, and nothing that we already didn't guess on. But it's nice to see it from an "official" analytic point of view. one particular part I though was funny: Microsoft has already demonstrated a willingness to listen to consumer concerns.

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    LordVenger
    Items User name style
    The only problem with this kind of thing is that analyst is basically the modern name for soothsayer, except they aren't as accurate.

Not that I don't agree in this case, I think even if MS was doing everything right, and they aren't, this won't be remotely the same as the current generation. MS doesn't have any of their advantages this time around, and they've fallen into third place world wide despite them.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Sony has the hype and support from a good number of the core audience. Word of mouth will be key here but it's too early to determine the outcome of both platforms.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by Fon View Post
    Sony has the hype and support from a good number of the core audience. Word of mouth will be key here but it's too early to determine the outcome of both platforms.
    I agree fon. I love the fact that the ps4 is dominating so far and I hope it just buts the XBone out of commission, but I also recognize ms's strength as a company and that this thing is FAR from over with

moving on tapatalk

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    The only problem with this kind of thing is that analyst is basically the modern name for soothsayer, except they aren't as accurate. Not that I don't agree in this case, I think even if MS was doing everything right, and they aren't, this won't be remotely the same as the current generation. MS doesn't have any of their advantages this time around, and they've fallen into third place world wide despite them.
    Yep, and since MS have fallen into 3rd place worldwide this gen despite their advantages it will really be interesting to see how the next gen plays out for MS without any advantages.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Yep, and since MS have fallen into 3rd place worldwide this gen despite their advantages it will really be interesting to see how the next gen plays out for MS without any advantages.
    It's probably gonna pay out similar to this gen. Success for both PS4 and the ONE.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    It's probably gonna pay out similar to this gen. Success for both PS4 and the ONE.
    That would be good. I want both companies to push each other to be better. Consumer wins.

Ultimate Veteran
    That would be good. I want both companies to push each other to be better. Consumer wins.
    I don't. It splits developer resources and makes it hard for more niche and genre-specific games to take advantage of a large and entrenched fanbase. This is why the PS1 and PS2 era had so many standout games like Katamari Damacy.

As long as gamers are divided across a fence, publishers will continue to be conservative in the choice of games they want to fund.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    You might have good point there. I don't agree that it's the clear cut truth, but there's clearly different times right now.

Edit: You win some you lose some.
    Last edited by K2D; 07-25-2013 at 16:43.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    I don't. It splits developer resources and makes it hard for more niche and genre-specific games to take advantage of a large and entrenched fanbase. This is why the PS1 and PS2 era had so many standout games like Katamari Damacy. As long as gamers are divided across a fence, publishers will continue to be conservative in the choice of games they want to fund.
    Hmm...good point. You just reminded me that the PS2 generation was dominated by Sony and it was my favorite generation of gaming. So I guess I stand corrected.

Ultimate Veteran
    Hmm...good point. You just reminded me that the PS2 generation was dominated by Sony and it was my favorite generation of gaming. So I guess I stand corrected.

Like a boss.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Like a boss.
    lol

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    "50% lead, 50% more power". Why overlook and skip such a great potential headline?

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    I don't. It splits developer resources and makes it hard for more niche and genre-specific games to take advantage of a large and entrenched fanbase. This is why the PS1 and PS2 era had so many standout games like Katamari Damacy.

As long as gamers are divided across a fence, publishers will continue to be conservative in the choice of games they want to fund.
    you really made a great point there, I was of the opinion that success for both consoles guaranteed competition and ultimately the gamers win. I possibly stand corrected on that issue. So you're saying that as long as gamers are divided, publishers have to be careful on which games they fund to ensure a good selling game?

Friendship is Carrots

I'd say it's more due to the bloated over-expenditure of AAA titles and the rising costs of game development as a result of higher standards and mismanagement. Sure, it does split the available potential buyer base, but it can also force developers to make better games to compete. What balance would you prefer, then? 20/80? Or just a single console ruling the market? You know nothing like that is beneficial in the long run. It appears to me that a roughly similar market share is preferable overall.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I'd say it's more due to the bloated over-expenditure of AAA titles and the rising costs of game development as a result of higher standards and mismanagement. Sure, it does split the available potential buyer base, but it can also force developers to make better games to compete. What balance would you prefer, then? 20/80? Or just a single console ruling the market? You know nothing like that is beneficial in the long run. It appears to me that a roughly similar market share is preferable overall.
    I like a "Winner-take-all" market. The healthy competition comes in the form of companies coming around and making a machine that changes the rules and, right now, it seems like one console-maker is simply riding in Sony's wake while another one is betting on what worked for them last gen and losing the gamble handily.

Sony has their $#@! straight. They have the best machine. They haven't had to change their message whatsoever. They are reaping the rewards for it. If MS or Nintendo drop out of next-next-gen, someone else will come along and fill the gap who may be better suited for the job than any of the current three. The problem comes from making Gods out of the current big three. One day, someone may come along with better ideas than Sony. MS seemed to be on the right track until 2009 and look where that got them?

You may take it for granted that I am saying this because I am a Playstation fan and Sony is just walking the walk right now, but I was perfectly willing to abandon them just like I abandoned Nintendo after the Super NES generation if they went down a similar path that MS was going. Therein lies my biggest problem with MS (and always has been, really). They showed their gamers what they truly thought about them and when the gamers spoke back, they have back-tracked from everything. So, what's wrong with making room for someone else? I'm sure that comes across as pretty cut-throat, but that's just how I feel. You have to remember that I've seen Atari, Sega, TurboGrafx, 3DO, CD-i and various other brands come and go in my day.. and it was always for the best.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    The best just got better. Not surprising.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    NAH UH, THIS IS WRONG! THE SOURCE IS BULL$#@!! XBOX ONE IS SO MUCH BETTER!

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by JDizzleNO1 View Post
    NAH UH, THIS IS WRONG! THE SOURCE IS BULL$#@!! XBOX ONE IS SO MUCH BETTER!
    Yep it has teh cloud powerz.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I would say with the hype that PS4 built off of MS faults, i think this is likely a fair assessment. MS had created an uphill battle for themselves. Their turn around recently definitely helps but I feel they still have a ways to go before they are on an even level as far consumer interest goes.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    Yep it has teh cloud powerz.
    ahhh thats why the xbone is much more attractive, the snowy white floaty things i see in it!

Thread Information