Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Man I have a feeling this feature will be exploited to play unofficial codes...nobody believed other os was going to lead to the ps4 getting jb!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
    Fair point here.

To me, when the VITA was announced, I remember a group of people thinking it would run on some custom version of Android. I think Sony were smart not to go down that route.

Mind you, "hacking" (it's not really hacking as such, not for Android anyway as it's meant to be open) Android is different to whatever this will be running on.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I guess the rumors were true. This is very good news for the indie dev community. Nice move MS. True. If they drop kinect it won't be for a while. I'm glad it comes with kinect though. This way more devs will support it.
    Only if people buy Kinect games. Forcing an unwanted peripheral on somebody isnt going to make them go out and buy Kinect games.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Not sure this is a reversal as such, they just hadn't announced anything, and we all assumed the status quo form the 360 would continue.
    Nice to see competition in the market place is benefiting not just the consumers but the indie developer.

Long live both Sony and MS. May they both keep upping the game to our benefit.
    It's nice to know they have been working on this for a couple years as well. Their vision has succeeded their announcement. So they swallowed up the indie games this gen with XBLIG. Add this, and they will be unstoppable.

Great news for Xbox gamers all the way around.
    Last edited by Soldier 95B; 07-25-2013 at 02:37.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Only if people buy Kinect games. Forcing an unwanted peripheral on somebody isnt going to make them go out and buy Kinect games.

Yea, but what about the people who do want it to be included? They exist too. Kinect is a big part of the xbox experience and it's good that they are pushing the technology. More kinects sold means more game support. I think it's smart to include it. They can always sell the console without it later on. This kinect is much better so I think more people will actually want this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    It's nice to know they have been working on this for a couple years as well. Their vision has succeeded their announcement. So they swallowed up the indie games this gen with XBLIG. Add this, and they will be unstoppable.

Great news for Xbox gamers all the way around.
    Didn't MS already allow self publishing for XBLIG? I thought only XBLA wasn't allowed self publishing.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 07-25-2013 at 02:48.

Soldier 95B
    Didn't MS already allow self publishing for XBLIG? I thought only XBLA wasn't allowed self publishing.
    Correct. Xbox Live Indie Games were already self published. MS already led there with the 360.

Elite Sage
    Correct. Xbox Live Indie Games were already self published. MS already led there with the 360.
    Ok. I thought so.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    It's not like we'll be able to go buy an Xbox One, come home, and can just start developing games for it.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    It's not like we'll be able to go buy an Xbox One, come home, and can just start developing games for it.
    Probably Unity 3D and a Xbox One to get started.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Well, they certainly are to be labeled as the followers for this coming gen. Either way this is good. and a sprinkle of their own flare too. This is entertaining. They may have secured a few more buyers who were on the fence with this move, me included.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Yea, but what about the people who do want it to be included? They exist too. Kinect is a big part of the xbox experience and it's good that they are pushing the technology. More kinects sold means more game support. I think it's smart to include it. They can always sell the console without it later on. This kinect is much better so I think more people will actually want this one.
    Kinect included does not mean Kinect games sold. If somebody isnt interested in Kinect then theyre not interested regardless if its force upon them. They will still continue buying controller based games. In fact forcing Kinect on the consumer and passing the cost onto them tells me that MS doesn't have much confidence in Kinect selling by itself.

Forum Elder
    what i've seen of Kinect kinect 2.0 and smartglass in games i definitely don't want to miss out on.

Kinect included does not mean Kinect games sold. If somebody isnt interested in Kinect then theyre not interested regardless if its force upon them. They will still continue buying controller based games. In fact forcing Kinect on the consumer and passing the cost onto them tells me that MS doesn't have much confidence in Kinect selling by itself.
    remind me, who is forced into buying Xbox ONE? and if you want kinect available to all devs. it has to be in every box or it will just up and die like Move is going to.

Elite Sage
    Kinect included does not mean Kinect games sold.
    never said it did. Kinect included does increase the chance of support for the device though. Saturate the market and then the support will come. That's how it works. They have a product and are standing behind it.

If somebody isnt interested in Kinect then theyre not interested regardless if its force upon them. They will still continue buying controller based games. In fact forcing Kinect on the consumer and passing the cost onto them tells me that MS doesn't have much confidence in Kinect selling by itself.
    if somebody isn't interested in kinect then they probably shouldn't buy the console right away. That doesn't mean they shouldn't get behind a product that they have invested millions or billions of dollars into. There are people out there who who don't like certain types of games or movies but that doesn't mean they shouldn't advertise or try to sell their product. Kinect was created to become a part of the xbox experience. MS would be crazy not to include it in some sort of packaged deal. I'm 99% sure that xbox-one will start selling without kinect in the future. Will it sell on it's own? Maybe, but people said the first kinect would be dead in the water but they were proved wrong. Does MS have confidence that it will sell? Who knows, but why take a chance when you can sell the unit along with the console. Makes sense to me.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    We'll see how much sense it makes after the initial launch rush dies down and over the course of the generation.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Meh, they want every developer to know its there, they want to have a point of difference, even if its just voice command. Not including it would have hurt that. Your dammed if you do and you dammed if you don't.
    At the end of the day though, I doubt very much its worth $100 to the system cost to bundle it (to develop, maybe).

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Meh, they want every developer to know its there, they want to have a point of difference, even if its just voice command. Not including it would have hurt that. Your dammed if you do and you dammed if you don't. At the end of the day though, I doubt very much its worth $100 to the system cost to bundle it (to develop, maybe).
    Your last sentence is really my main point. But forcing an unwanted peripheral on somebody doesn't guarantee anything but a higher priced console at launch. That $100 extra on their price point isnt going to do them any favors.

Soldier 95B
    Your last sentence is really my main point. But forcing an unwanted peripheral on somebody doesn't guarantee anything but a higher priced console at launch. That $100 extra on their price point isnt going to do them any favors.
    Forcing a $200 unwanted bluray worked for Sony. Each company is taking gambles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

17. Likes Sub-stance1 likes this post
    Superior Member
    It's going to be funny to see the better indie games that everyone supposedly cares about be on the X1 because of kinect. There will be indie games that are only possible because of kinect.

Even if the PS4 included the toy eye it's vastly inferior to the kinect and can't possibly do what the kinect can. So the experience wouldn't be the same anyway.

If I was getting a PS4 I would also be glad Sony is not including it to keep cost down. I surely don't know of any indie game that use a glorified webcam to any result indicating that if they had included the toy eye in the PS4 it would just be a paper weight. Who would want that? Not me. Paying extra for a mundane experience would suck. Glad to see Sony knows this and that they are on a lower echelon with that toy eye.

Lets see if these indie can impress me with a horror game that's only possible because of kinect.

ADMiNiSTRaToR
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Yes. I think people sometimes forget how expensive the PS3 was when it launched. Sony wanted to push Blu-ray into millions of homes, which won them the format war. However, I do feel that the Blu-ray disc format was a necessary evolution for disc formats at the time with the higher storage space of HD content, among other things. Proof of that is now both the Xbox One and PS4 are using the Blu-ray format for HD games... and 1080p is pretty much a standard now. DVD is going the way of VHS. Having said that... digital content seems to be the next evolution of media consumption, but broadband isn't widespread enough into people's homes to make it a standard. If everyone had Google Fiber or something, it would be a no-brainer.

The proprietary CELL tech also caused a price hike for the console as well. But you are right... Sony gambled with Blu-ray just like Microsoft is gambling with Kinect. Whether people want it or not remains to be seen. I know some people just outright don't want it, but the Kinect is an outer component... and not tucked away inside the system... so it is a bit of a nuisance to some for it to be mandatory (that and the obvious price jump because of it).

I don't think there's really any clear black and white right or wrong here with the Kinect. It will either succeed or it will fail. And in time... both consoles will come down in price, just like they always do. If you don't want to pay 500 bucks for the XBO now, you can always wait a couple years for a price drop. The console or its games aren't going away anytime soon.
    Last edited by Brandon; 07-25-2013 at 22:56.
    "Courage is the key to life.

Elite Sage

Exactly.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style

Can't wait until ms segregates the user base again when they sell a Kinect less xbjuan... Atleast one sticks to what they believe unlike the flip flopping ms has been doing

22. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Yes. I think people sometimes forget how expensive the PS3 was when it launched. Sony wanted to push Blu-ray into millions of homes, which won them the format war. However, I do feel that the Blu-ray disc format was a necessary evolution for disc formats at the time with the higher storage space of HD content, among other things. Proof of that is now both the Xbox One and PS4 are using the Blu-ray format for HD games... and 1080p is pretty much a standard now. DVD is going the way of VHS. Having said that... digital content seems to be the next evolution of media consumption, but broadband isn't widespread enough into people's homes to make it a standard. If everyone had Google Fiber or something, it would be a no-brainer.

The proprietary CELL tech also caused a price hike for the console as well. But you are right... Sony gambled with Blu-ray just like Microsoft is gambling with Kinect. Whether people want it or not remains to be seen. I know some people just outright don't want it, but the Kinect is an outer component... and not tucked away inside the system... so it is a bit of a nuisance to some for it to be mandatory (that and the obvious price jump because of it).

I don't think there's really any clear black and white right or wrong here with the Kinect. It will either succeed or it will fail. And in time... both consoles will come down in price, just like they always do. If you don't want to pay 500 bucks for the XBO now, you can always wait a couple years for a price drop. The console or its games aren't going away anytime soon.
    I agree the Kinect being external can be a nuisance. They have removed the motor and reduced the size. Some liken it to the Wii sensor bar that you had to put above or below your TV in a proper site line and was pretty much mandated for a majority of games. It's the experience they want for media, casual and core gamers.

25 million people bought Kinect. 20 some million Move components were purchased. There appears to be demand for motion controls. With MS adding Kinect and Sony adding move light bar to controller, it's clear they are doing this for more dev support. More dev support equates to more games. More games equates to more console sales. More game and console sales equates to more greenbacks for Sony and MS.

But it could backfire on MS if the whole motion control thing was a fad and people have moved on. The tablet controller didn't work for Wii U. At least I don't think it did.

Personally if they released the Xbox One without Kinect and was just a beefed up Xbox 360 with all the new components in the Xbox One, I would be happy. IMO Xbox 360 was the go to console this gen for the best gaming. I just want that continued. I don't need the Move or Kinect fluff.

But I am hoping Kinect 2 rocks and proves worthy of the $100.

Elite Sage
    Can't wait until ms segregates the user base again when they sell a Kinect less xbjuan... Atleast one sticks to what they believe unlike the flip flopping ms has been doing

Wouldn't be the first time a company has done something to cut down on cost. Does removal of PS2 BC ring a bell?

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Sometimes, you just have to take what your given.

Exactly.

Soldier 95B

You mean like Sony dumping touch sensitive buttons, dumping slot drives, dumping Linux support, dumping backwards compatibility, dumping multiple USB ports, dumping Linux support, blocking some 3rd party accessories, flip flopping on charging for online.....

So much for sticking it out. I hear ya dude. Sony rules. MS drools.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Forcing a $200 unwanted bluray worked for Sony. Each company is taking gambles. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    The BR player was necessary for the disc based games and provided extra storage. Kinect is an uneccessary peripheral add on.

Thread Information