Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL

Answer I Want on how PS4 Content/DLC is Stored on HDD

I would love to be able to ask about how you can remove specific content for games from your PS4. On PS3, when you download add-ons and DLC, most stuff gets packed into one file. So, if I downloaded like 5 different DLC packs for a game, then decided the 5th pack was a waste of space because I didn't like it and it took up way too much HDD, there'd be no way to take that specific pack off the HDD. You would have to delete the whole chunk of DLC/game content that PS3 packs together just to get rid of that 1 DLC pack. So, it's not worth deleting, unless you don't mind going through the trouble of downloading all the other packs and installing all the other data that was in that chunk.

Hopefully, on PS4, it will keep every piece of DLC separate, so you can go to the data from your Menu, see the pics of each DLC like it would show up in the PSN Store and delete exactly what you want to delete individually, without messing with other data. It seems like too in-depth of a question to expect any reporters or anyone to ask anytime soon, we might just have to wait for launch to find out. But, I'd love to know that, because it's a pain in the ass on PS3 to not be able to handle content individually like that. Please let them realize that the current way it works is archaic.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    jhuff
    Quote Originally Posted by XtraTrstrL View Post
    I would love to be able to ask about how you can remove specific content for games from your PS4. On PS3, when you download add-ons and DLC, most stuff gets packed into one file. So, if I downloaded like 5 different DLC packs for a game, then decided the 5th pack was a waste of space because I didn't like it and it took up way too much HDD, there'd be no way to take that specific pack off the HDD. You would have to delete the whole chunk of DLC/game content that PS3 packs together just to get rid of that 1 DLC pack. So, it's not worth deleting, unless you don't mind going through the trouble of downloading all the other packs and installing all the other data that was in that chunk.

Hopefully, on PS4, it will keep every piece of DLC separate, so you can go to the data from your Menu, see the pics of each DLC like it would show up in the PSN Store and delete exactly what you want to delete individually, without messing with other data. It seems like too in-depth of a question to expect any reporters or anyone to ask anytime soon, we might just have to wait for launch to find out. But, I'd love to know that, because it's a pain in the ass on PS3 to not be able to handle content individually like that. Please let them realize that the current way it works is archaic.

Hmmm, that's an interesting question. However today that kind of structure is up to the developers, so I assume it's LIKELY that the same structure will carry over to the PS4. I'd like clarity as well on a related note, as to whether or not you will have the option of NOT installing game patches when they are available.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time give to you....
    http://www.woodchuckproductions.net

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    You cant even do that on Steam, that I know of, so I doubt itll be doable on PS4.

On Steam if you buy DLC, you get every piece of DLC you bought downloaded when you go and redownload it.

Sig&Av by Kuro

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4
    DragonAge3DWitcher3Order1886Uncharted4Batman:AKDyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Veteran
    What I want to know is if all our downloads, be it games, dlc etc is restricted to being downloaded and stored only on the internal HDD or can they be downloaded and stored on external HDDs. This way I know whether I have to swap out the small 500GB HDD or not.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    You cant even do that on Steam, that I know of, so I doubt itll be doable on PS4.

On Steam if you buy DLC, you get every piece of DLC you bought downloaded when you go and redownload it.
    I'd like to hope that the PS4 will be more advanced than what Steam can do.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    DLC is sometime included in the latest patch of a game take Burnout paradise for example.

BF3, if you have premium you download all the content you cannot pick and choose.

I see no point in the ability to do so either. Hard drives are cheap now, again, and if not got enough space just delete something else.
    Last edited by keefy; 07-25-2013 at 03:00.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    DLC is sometime included in the latest patch of a game take Burnout paradise for example.

BF3, if you have premium you download all the content you cannot pick and choose.

I see no point in the ability to do so either. Hard drives are cheap now, again, and if not got enough space just delete something else.
    It's easy to say, hdds are cheap, or just delete something else. It's something that is definitely possible for them to allow content to be deleted piece by piece. They'd just have to put a little effort into how the DLC is stored and installed. And many games have separate DLC that they don't bundle with all the other DLC. Most games don't even package all the DLC in one pack automatically. That's the type of DLC I'm speaking of having this option for. If I want to delete a DLC pack that is separate from others, and takes up like 6GB, there's no reason I shouldn't be able to remove it without deleting all the game info on the HDD, and going back and downloading all the other DLC packs that I actually want. It's silly to even argue against why it's a good idea to allow this ability.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by jphuff View Post
    Hmmm, that's an interesting question. However today that kind of structure is up to the developers, so I assume it's LIKELY that the same structure will carry over to the PS4. I'd like clarity as well on a related note, as to whether or not you will have the option of NOT installing game patches when they are available.
    why would that kind of thing be up to the devs? Deleting certain DLC packs from the HDD of your console is up to the devs? Seems to me it would be a feature that the console manufacturer would implement themselves into the actual functionality of the console. Clarify anyone?

Xtra you presented a great question, I haven't even considered this. But like you said, I highly doubt a reporter will ask that lol.

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Quote Originally Posted by KnotGamer901 View Post
    Xtra you presented a great question, I haven't even considered this. But like you said, I highly doubt a reporter will ask that lol.
    One thing that makes it seem more possible is the whole way they are gonna arrange the data for download now. It'll all be arranged in blocked chunks, for the PlayGO feature, so maybe they're already thinking of this. With them already piecing the game into smaller blocks, the DLC may be separatable after installation.

Or like if you ever used torrents and your torrent program checks files when you load it up, to make sure all the data pieces are there, it could check online when you want to delete a certain DLC pack, and it has a disc image on the server of the game with all the other packs you have minus the pack you want to delete and it just removes that specific data and pieces everything together again.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    One thing that makes it seem more possible is the whole way they are gonna arrange the data for download now. It'll all be arranged in blocked chunks, for the PlayGO feature, so maybe they're already thinking of this. With them already piecing the game into smaller blocks, the DLC may be separatable after installation.

Or like if you ever used torrents and your torrent program checks files when you load it up, to make sure all the data pieces are there, it could check online when you want to delete a certain DLC pack, and it has a disc image on the server of the game with all the other packs you have minus the pack you want to delete and it just removes that specific data and pieces everything together again.
    man where do you get this stuff? I haven't seen any articles on how they're arranging downloaded data. You're secretly Mark Cerny aren't you? I knew it

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    That would be pointless most games now have it all in one big patch like Burnout Paradise as stated its so when you buy it you just buy the unlock key and can start playing straight away. It sounds to me your more aiming at worrying about free HDD space than anything else if thats the case just upgrade the PS4 HDD to a 2TB or 3TB

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi Uk View Post
    That would be pointless most games now have it all in one big patch like Burnout Paradise as stated its so when you buy it you just buy the unlock key and can start playing straight away. It sounds to me your more aiming at worrying about free HDD space than anything else if thats the case just upgrade the PS4 HDD to a 2TB or 3TB
    I don't understand what's wrong with you people. Why is it so hard to understand such a simple thing? Most games do not have it all in one package. There's tons and tons of games that give very unique DLC packs that are separate from the other packs. Sometimes they will also have a separate buying option to get everything that's been released, but still, they keep different DLC separate for purchase. It would be a much better and improved system to be able to go into the game data on HDD and see each DLC pack you downloaded separately, and be able to remove a pack if you so wished to.

Buying a 2TB HDD won't change that fact, and it'd still give you tons of space back if you could remove unused DLC, rather than do it the annoying way of deleting everything and redownloading only the pieces you want. There is absolutely no reason to be against such an option.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    I don't understand what's wrong with you people. Why is it so hard to understand such a simple thing? Most games do not have it all in one package. There's tons and tons of games that give very unique DLC packs that are separate from the other packs. Sometimes they will also have a separate buying option to get everything that's been released, but still, they keep different DLC separate for purchase. It would be a much better and improved system to be able to go into the game data on HDD and see each DLC pack you downloaded separately, and be able to remove a pack if you so wished to.

Buying a 2TB HDD won't change that fact, and it'd still give you tons of space back if you could remove unused DLC, rather than do it the annoying way of deleting everything and redownloading only the pieces you want. There is absolutely no reason to be against such an option.
    Most games (if not all PS3 games at least) DO have it all in one package, it's just not all unlocked.

As Keefy mentioned. The DLC is actually downloaded and installed with the patches. I've posted about this multiple times in the past. The 'DLC' was forced to come from the Sony website and was as simple as a Key to unlock it. The Dev's were required to pay for content based on size downloaded from Sony servers. But the patches could come from the Dev servers. So the Dev's wisely implemented it such that the patches actually have the DLC included. And that only a Key to unlock the DLC is downloaded from Sony servers when you purchase the DLC. Watch it next time you buy DLC, you'll see a 100KB file downloaded every time you get DLC. It doesn't matter if it's a costume for LBP or a major Map for COD.

This also makes the most sense to implement it this way. Dev's want everyone who's interacting online to be running the same code base, whether or not things are are unlocked for use or not. Upgrading everyone to have the latest code base reduces potential issues.

Your comment about deleting everything and downloading the pieces you want isn't an option the way it's currently implemented and I don't see it going away and there are plenty of reasons to be against the option when you take a step back and think about it.
    Last edited by TAZ427; 07-25-2013 at 16:33.

Master Poster

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Most games (if not all PS3 games at least) DO have it all in one package, it's just not all unlocked.

As Keefy mentioned. The DLC is actually downloaded and installed with the patches. I've posted about this multiple times in the past. The 'DLC' was forced to come from the Sony website and was as simple as a Key to unlock it. The Dev's were required to pay for content based on size downloaded from Sony servers. But the patches could come from the Dev servers. So the Dev's wisely implemented it such that the patches actually have the DLC included. And that only a Key to unlock the DLC is downloaded from Sony servers when you purchase the DLC. Watch it next time you buy DLC, you'll see a 100KB file downloaded every time you get DLC. It doesn't matter if it's a costume for LBP or a major Map for COD.
    There are tons of games that doesn't do it the way you just wrote. An example is the Assassin's Creed games, if you buy one of the dlc packs, then the content is actually in that pack and not in some patch.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Quote Originally Posted by Redman_DK View Post
    There are tons of games that doesn't do it the way you just wrote. An example is the Assassin's Creed games, if you buy one of the dlc packs, then the content is actually in that pack and not in some patch.
    Yeah, I don't understand where they're getting this that most games do this. There's so many games that keep DLC separate. I know about the 100kb unlock keys, but there are so many games that have DLC that isn't downloaded automatically. A random example is Castlevania: HOD, you can get the different stages. They aren't all packed in one, and each downloads separately. But, it all gets installed into the main file, and I can't delete the crappy last chapter later, I'd have to delete them all, then go back and download/install 7-11 to get rid of 12. Same goes for stuff like COD map packs.

Elite Member
    Items User name style

This also makes the most sense to implement it this way. Dev's want everyone who's interacting online to be running the same code base, whether or not things are are unlocked for use or not. Upgrading everyone to have the latest code base reduces potential issues.

Your comment about deleting everything and downloading the pieces you want isn't an option the way it's currently implemented and I don't see it going away and there are plenty of reasons to be against the option when you take a step back and think about it.
    The patch isn't the DLC itself. Its setting the game up to accept the DLC. Changes some code to allow the entrance to the DLC area if it is present.
    Rarely do I ever get an unlock for DLC, and when I do, it's because the DLC was on the disk.

On the other hand, how many people would a feature like this actually be useful for? This is the first time I've heard someone say they want to delete one specific DLC. If it did come up for me, it wouldn't be that much of a hassle to redownload the dlc I want and delete and reinstall. But the PSN downloads for me pretty damn fast. (Never got the slow download speeds from PSN that I see people complain about)

I'd personally rather have a less cluttered game data area than this feature. Though I guess they could solve that by making a folder for each game.

So if you read my entire post.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Those would be two exceptions to the general rule.

The DLC can already be part of the game disc itself, it can be added when applying patches. These ARE the most common methods, and typically what's being downloaded IS the key to unlock these features. There ARE exceptions to these rules, but are FEW and far between.
    Last edited by TAZ427; 07-25-2013 at 18:29.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901

I had no idea how all that worked thanks for breaking it down taz. +rep goodsir

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    jhuff
    Quote Originally Posted by KnotGamer901 View Post
    why would that kind of thing be up to the devs? Deleting certain DLC packs from the HDD of your console is up to the devs? Seems to me it would be a feature that the console manufacturer would implement themselves into the actual functionality of the console. Clarify anyone?

No....as I said the STRUCTURE of the DLC. Whether each update is separate or whether they are lumped together so that you have to delete all of them to delete one. That help?

All you have to decide is what to do with the time give to you....
    http://www.woodchuckproductions.net

Thread Information