Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim

Windows 8 Applications and Games Can Theoretically Work on Xbox One

Cool.
    During the Game Tools & Middleware Forum 2013 held yesterday in the Tokyo technology Mecca of Akihabara Microsoft Japan Evangelist Shinichiro Isago (yeah, that’s his title, and considering the acceptance of Xbox products in Japan, it’s quite appropriate) spoke at a panel titled “Seven Reasons Why Game Developers Should Embrace Microsoft Again” sharing a quite interesting detail on how the Xbox One’s operating system works.Isago-san mentioned the already known detail that the Xbox operating system and Microsoft 8 will coexist in the Xbox One, and the console operates by switching between them, but he went further, explaining that applications, games or anything else originally made for Windows 8 downloaded on Xbox One can run on the console in Windows 8 mode, that ensures compatibility. Actually applications like Skype already work by using this feature.It’s important to note that Isago-san was talking from a developer’s point of view, and not from an user’s point of view. This means that the fact that applications can theoretically work on the console doesn’t imply that they will automatically be made available on the Xbox One’s marketplace, as using any application on a console still requires dedicated controls and tweaking.Despite that, this opens the door to a lot of interesting Windows-native apps possibly making their way to Microsoft’s upcoming console, and it’s definitely a boon for developers.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/07/24/windows-8-applications-and-games-can-theoretically-work-on-xbox-
    one/

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Can't wait for the box to get hacked

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Soldier 95B
    Oh man...if that is the case, I would LOVE to see if I could get ARMA 3 to play on the Xbox One. Given the excellent performance of the Xbox One, combined with Kinect head tracking in ARMA 3, it would be epic.

Xbox One- "it only does everything", hey wait a minute, where have i heard that before?

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Oh man...if that is the case, I would LOVE to see if I could get ARMA 3 to play on the Xbox One. Given the excellent performance of the Xbox One, combined with Kinect head tracking in ARMA 3, it would be epic.
    i've never gotten how this is supposed to work. surely if you turn your head, you are no longer looking at the screen

ARMA is for PC elitists though, getting ARMA to run on a console would require an almost rebuild of the way the game runs. not to mention its reliance on single threaded processing, and CPU heavy design. of which AMD and both PS4/XB1 sorely lack

intel i5's and higher to play Arma at any kind of respectable setting imo. the base APU is in the region of the Atom if im not mistaken.

but on topic, i don't see how this is going to help outside of what the console can already do...i mean, they could do office on XB1.....but procrastination levels are high enough already
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    i've never gotten how this is supposed to work. surely if you turn your head, you are no longer looking at the screen
    It already works great...

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Oh man that would be awesome. I heard a rumor that MS might be bringing Hawken to xbox-one. This would be $#@!ing epic. That game is badass.

Forum Overseer

highly doubt they're talking about retail titles. likely speaking of apps (note even those will run unless they're tweaked) and social games. newbies.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    It already works great...

but you turn your head away from the screen
    that seems rather counter intuitive, The oculus rift has much better prospects imo. at least the screens follow your head

horror games on an oculus rift would be splendid

washing machines all over the world would rue the day a good horror game utilized the rifts - unique - perspective.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

10. Likes x_terna likes this post

Thread Information