Page 1 of 6 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL

Xbone vs PS4 Self-Publishing

Indie devs talk about self-publishing on Xbone and PS4. ~ Source

"After my experience working with them to release on Xbox 360, I have no interest in even buying an Xbox One, let alone developing for it," he said. "The policy changes are great, but they don't undo the experience I had. I'm not ready to forget what I went through. Working with Microsoft was the unhappiest point of my career. Policies are one thing, but developer relations are another." ~ Retro City Rampage Dev

LoL, the Retro City Rampage Dev is having none of it.

In particular, he wants to know if "Microsoft has done away with their restrictive and destructive content parity policies, which were designed to hurt Sony but also made things significantly more difficult for developers." ~ Skullgirls Dev

More direct proof of MS's parity policies, keeping games from being perceived as better in any way on PS3.

2. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Waits for *point out Minecraft as "indie"...*
    I am the oncoming storm.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Lo Fez Dev also said his game is not coming to xb Juan regardless. It's a positive step in the right direction but if it's anything like the PSM for the vita then EL OH EL

Woah didn't know the parity thing was real? Wow that's $#@!ed up

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by YoungMullah88; 07-25-2013 at 01:01.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Lo Fez Dev also said his game is not coming to xb Juan regardless. It's a positive step in the right direction but if it's anything like the PSM for the vita then EL OH EL
    Yeah, Phil Fish doesn't give a damn. He speaks his mind on MS all the time, gotta respect that. It is pretty stupid that they changed their rules of charging devs to patch games, and didn't make it public. How stupid is that? Fez on 360 had issues forever, he wanted to patch it, they changed the rules way back, and him as a dev didn't even know. They really are on another level of moronic. You'd think they'd be shouting it from the roofs, it's weird the stuff they choose to keep quiet about and the stuff they proudly put out there.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by XtraTrstrL View Post
    Indie devs talk about self-publishing on Xbone and PS4. ~ Source "After my experience working with them to release on Xbox 360, I have no interest in even buying an Xbox One, let alone developing for it," he said. "The policy changes are great, but they don't undo the experience I had. I'm not ready to forget what I went through. Working with Microsoft was the unhappiest point of my career. Policies are one thing, but developer relations are another." ~ Retro City Rampage Dev LoL, the Retro City Rampage Dev is having none of it. In particular, he wants to know if "Microsoft has done away with their restrictive and destructive content parity policies, which were designed to hurt Sony but also made things significantly more difficult for developers." ~ Skullgirls Dev More direct proof of MS's parity policies, keeping games from being perceived as better in any way on PS3.
    Wow. Too bad for MS they weren't able to do anything about the graphically superior PS3 exclusives. I'm guessing MS will try to implement their parity policies with next gen 3rd party games.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Wow. Too bad for MS they weren't able to do anything about the graphically superior PS3 exclusives. I'm guessing MS will try to implement their parity policies with next gen 3rd party games.
    Yeah, but remember, 360 had a larger user-base by far, so it made more sense that devs just fall in-line. They really had no choice if they really wanted to make a good amount of profit off their games. This time around, with PS4 seemingly surpassing Xbone by a healthy margin in pre-orders and in popularity, it's not looking good for Xbone to try to pull that crap next-gen. They will surely lose a few top indies and some top 3rd party devs if they get too $#@!y this time around.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Yeah, but remember, 360 had a larger user-base by far, so it made more sense that devs just fall in-line. They really had no choice if they really wanted to make a good amount of profit off their games. This time around, with PS4 seemingly surpassing Xbone by a healthy margin in pre-orders and in popularity, it's not looking good for Xbone to try to pull that crap next-gen. They will surely lose a few top indies and some top 3rd party devs if they get too $#@!y this time around.
    Yep, thats a good point. Plus even this gen there were some multiplats that were better on PS3 regardless. So yeah MS probably wont be able to pull that crap next gen.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Not to mention, 360 was easier to develop on and to port to-from PC. This time it's the other way around, not that Xbone will be anywhere near as hard to work with as PS3, but it won't be as easy as PS4. So, that's also a major point in devs decisions on things such as this, giving Xbone a lot less opportunity to intimidate devs.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Not to mention, 360 was easier to develop on and to port to-from PC. This time it's the other way around, not that Xbone will be anywhere near as hard to work with as PS3, but it won't be as easy as PS4. So, that's also a major point in devs decisions on things such as this, giving Xbone a lot less opportunity to intimidate devs.
    Yep very true.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    So why hold this news hostage just to have a bigger presence at GC? When they could have announced it and let indie devs start porting there games

So much for that surprise, so all the games have been shown and there big gamescom reveal just leaked?

Soldier 95B
    Luckily there are literally hundreds of other devs that couldn't be happier with the Xbox development, giving us thousands of games to choose from.

Indeed, the more games available on each platform is a win win for all of us gamers.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    This also fromt the article:

Kevin Dent, CEO of Tiswaz Entertainment, sees the move as a way to open up console development to the masses.
    "I love it," Dent told Polygon. "If you want to put a swear word in there, I $#@!ing love it.
    "If they're going the route of iOS where anyone can publish — where some kid in Ohio can make the next Angry Birds in his mom's basement (just to throw in a stereotype), this is brilliant news."
    The policy reversal is "a move in the right direction," 17-Bit's Jake Kazdal told us, and the change has caused the studio to put Microsoft's next-gen console back on the table.
    "We [previously] did not have plans to publish on Xbox One in the near future, but now it is a possibility, which is nice," Kazdal said. "A healthy range of choices for small developers is nothing but good news."
    Lab Zero was pretty down on the Xbox One before. So if the playing field is now truly level, then this is great news and I think we'd definitely want to self-publish on the Xbox One."
    Looks like the playing field is level now on indies. This is good for everyone. Now, for every good game we will get 20 $#@!ty ones....lol Still, it's great news all around.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Lol may the shovelware wars resume! Still have to wait till gc to know how pen this will be

Then again the policy/self publishing will not be there from day one so...still a step in the right direction

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I hope they dont allow any tom $#@! and Harry to make games I dotn want to sift through a hundred $#@!e gmes to find just 1 that is amazing.

Super Elite
    LOL prediction #2 true now waits for prediction #3. MS says in August at gamescon that they are selling th xb1 for 399.99 with no kinect. Watch it lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] In the darkest abyss I still see you with my perfect sharigan young jedi!

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    So why hold this news hostage just to have a bigger presence at GC? When they could have announced it and let indie devs start porting there games

So much for that surprise, so all the games have been shown and there big gamescom reveal just leaked
    They can't start porting games yet, it won't be a day one thing, it'll be "at some point within the system’s first year on the market".

Here's another little article talking about it - Reaction: Microsoft's Stopped the Xbox One Rot, But PS4 Is a Step Ahead

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Indie devs talk about self-publishing on Xbone and PS4. ~ Source

"After my experience working with them to release on Xbox 360, I have no interest in even buying an Xbox One, let alone developing for it," he said. "The policy changes are great, but they don't undo the experience I had. I'm not ready to forget what I went through. Working with Microsoft was the unhappiest point of my career. Policies are one thing, but developer relations are another." ~ Retro City Rampage Dev

LoL, the Retro City Rampage Dev is having none of it.

In particular, he wants to know if "Microsoft has done away with their restrictive and destructive content parity policies, which were designed to hurt Sony but also made things significantly more difficult for developers." ~ Skullgirls Dev

More direct proof of MS's parity policies, keeping games from being perceived as better in any way on PS3.
    well i can understand his distaste towards ms. Self publishing for Xbox was a nightmare. Have any of your actually seen an example of all the paperwork they had to fill out? Not to mention the fees.

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    This also fromt the article: Looks like the playing field is level now on indies. This is good for everyone. Now, for every good game we will get 20 $#@!ty ones....lol Still, it's great news all around.
    http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013/...s_a_step_ahead

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    good article. And yea that comment about the playing field being leveled, uh, i guess its up to opinion. But one this isn't up to opinion, the XBone is following the ps4 in almost everything. Sony is leading the charge and MS is changing and following to keep up. A bit laughable kind of a vision eh?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by KnotGamer901 View Post
    good article. And yea that comment about the playing field being leveled, uh, i guess its up to opinion. But one this isn't up to opinion, the XBone is following the ps4 in almost everything. Sony is leading the charge and MS is changing and following to keep up. A bit laughable kind of a vision eh?
    Oh yeah definitely. Not any kind of vision at all actually. Just following behind Sony. lol

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Oh yeah definitely. Not any kind of vision at all actually. lol
    Yea Im the same way, I just don't see how the guys on here are still XBone fans and saying its right on par with ps4 and blah blah blah.
    I guess we can pick and choose articles that may say this and may say that, but at the end of the day its like, blatantly obvious to me

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Oh yeah definitely. Not any kind of vision at all actually. Just following behind Sony. lol
    Yeah, their vision entails wearing huge black shades, using their cane to feel their way around while holding the back of Sony's shirt to guide them along their dark path and through the rough obstacles up ahead.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Yeah, their vision entails wearing huge black shades, using their cane to feel their way around while holding the back of Sony's shirt to guide them along their dark path and through the rough obstacles up ahead.
    fantastic imagery used toward the console "war" Xtra lol. +rep
    well $#@!, i cant give you any. I'll hit you when im able to again lol

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by KnotGamer901 View Post
    Yea Im the same way, I just don't see how the guys on here are still XBone fans and saying its right on par with ps4 and blah blah blah. I guess we can pick and choose articles that may say this and may say that, but at the end of the day its like, blatantly obvious to me
    Yeah I agree. XBone fans are just in denial thats all that is.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Yeah I agree. XBone fans are just in denial thats all.
    bro, that is one SERIOUS case of denial. counseling is needed in my opinion . I can see being a diehard fan but DAMN

Thread Information