Threaded View

Elite Member

No Story Mode Cutscenes in Upcoming "Super Smash Bros."

Cutscenes are kind of a take-it-or-leave-it thing for me, but the new-to-the-franchise cutscenes in Super Smash Bros. Brawl were pretty awesome. Unfortunately, producer Masahiro Sakurai is plainly stating that the cutscenes won't be returning in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS, and neither will the story mode (titled Subspace Emissary in Brawl).

Sakurai didn't like Brawl's cutscenes being leaked online, and wants to preserve the feeling of surprise for new players:

"Unfortunately, the movie scenes we worked hard to create were uploaded onto the Internet. You can only truly wow a player the first time he sees [a cutscene]. I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I've decided against having them."
    http://kotaku.com/the-next-super-sma...or-c-906856304

I have to say, that's probably the $#@!tiest excuse I've ever heard for omitting content in a game...
    I'd probably be a little more satisfied if he'd just say that they were forced to rush the game's development cycle in order to push out some software for the Wii-U...at least that's actually believable...

Not that cutscenes are ever a necessity a game like this...but I rather enjoyed them in the Subspace Emissary mode from the last game...I'm also not one of those plebian-minded souls that go around shouting "fighting games don't need stories, hurr durr"...
    Attached Images

Thread Information