Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 ... LastLast
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    jhuff
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    What 1gb isn't being reserved for devs. 512mb of pageable ram is.
    Ah that's right. I got confused with that initial statement about "flexible" memory of 1GB in size. Whatever, the bottom line is, it won't affect us and both consoles are basically doing the same thing. We don't have to agree with it. It's just what is. IF this is all actually true!

All you have to decide is what to do with the time give to you....
    http://www.woodchuckproductions.net

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    jhuff
    Quote Originally Posted by XtraTrstrL View Post
    I think it's just disappointing to everyone that was assuming all the OS future-proofing was gonna be within 1GB of ram, and that devs would have 7GB ram for gaming on day 1. I was readying myself for it to be 2GB for OS and 6 for gaming from awhile back. This rumor is slightly worse than what I was thinking, but maybe not as bad depending on how it works out. If it's 5-5.5GB for games and 1GB playroom making it 6-6.5GB possibly for games, then it's a bit better. I think none of it really matters right now though when you consider that the OS is still a work-in-progress along with how much ram is allocated to it. So, the 4.5-5.5GB seems to be a temporary placeholder until they flesh out the OS more and can lock down a more accurate share ratio for what's needed along with decent future proofing. Maybe Sony will talk more on it at Gamescom.
    Sure, I get that. Like I said, I expected it to be a bit less than this. But to the point where you're not gonna buy the machine? I think that's a bit much.

All I got from this was that PS4 can use more than 5.5gb of ram and it's not limited to 4.5 or 5.5.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Quote Originally Posted by jphuff View Post
    Sure, I get that. Like I said, I expected it to be a bit less than this. But to the point where you're not gonna buy the machine? I think that's a bit much.
    I don't agree with cancelling pre-orders over it, but I do understand the initial response to it. I wonder though, since the consoles are already in mass production and the OS seems to be far from complete - will we need to download a day 1 system patch? I expect the OS to continue to shrink over the years from better, more efficient code and streamlining, it was just surprising for most people to hear the portion of ram dedicated to games possibly being lower than what Xbone's bloated OS structure leaves for games.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    When this affects any PS4 game, i will sell my PS4.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    All three 'insiders' on GAF (Thuway, Kagari, Bruce) are saying it's 6GB, but they usually all have the same source and they weren't 100% right with their E3 rumors, so I'm not jumping for joy yet.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    jhuff
    I don't agree with cancelling pre-orders over it, but I do understand the initial response to it. I wonder though, since the consoles are already in mass production and the OS seems to be far from complete - will we need to download a day 1 system patch? I expect the OS to continue to shrink over the years from better, more efficient code and streamlining, it was just surprising for most people to hear the portion of ram dedicated to games possibly being lower than what Xbone's bloated OS structure leaves for games.
    Yeah, I hear you. Nothing would surprise me at this point though, because I've also read supposed insiders saying that this info is incorrect and outdated. We'll just have to see, as Mynd is so fond of stating (and he's right!) along with so many other things. The one positive I can see to all of this is that Sony may have a lot more features baked into the PS4 than people think. Things that may help them big time, especially if MS is successful in marketing the XB1 as a "home entertainment" device rather than a single purpose game machine. I expect big surprises in the reveals between now and launch.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Yes, this is true, but for Pete's sake, don't try to be RATIONAL about this or anything! You should be PISSED and go out and CANCEL your pre-order! Sony is DONE! The PS4 is DONE! This is just absolutely ridiculous! WHO KNEW that to support features WE cry to Sony for would take actual MEMORY! GO CANCEL NOW! PS4 is DONE! LOL. Sorry, just couldn't resist!
    Yep, thats it! Sony lied to us all! We should have 8GB for games! PS4 is doomed! I'm cancelling my preorder! LMAO! All this drama is just too funny.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Yep, thats it! Sony lied to us all! We should have 8GB for games! PS4 is doomed! I'm cancelling my preorder! LMAO! All this drama is just too funny.
    I'm gonna march on their headquartes and put all their heads on pikes for this outrage! Vlad the Impaler style on tad ass.

10. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    The patch would ship on launch titles and of course be available online for those that are buying digitally.

Either way, a ps4 shall be mine once Infamous ships.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    I miss my previous signature.
    So do I. lol
    Last edited by mistercrow; 07-28-2013 at 02:24.

Super Elite

This is a bummer. It won't matter right away but in 3 or 4 years from now games are going to need that extra memory to populate more textures and assets on the screen. I hope Sony does a good job trimming their bloated OS.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    apart from the fact the PS4 GPU is still 33% stronger then the XB1's?

the amount of RAM meant diddly squat, and its good to see those that praised that fact being brought back down to earth.

the speed of the RAM is of greater importance as both have similar RAM amounts. 8-8, 5-5, whichever, speed hasn't changed. PS4 RAM > XB1 RAM still.
    more like 50% there buddy

cpu is a wash but gpu is were PS4 totally creampies the xbone

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    All three 'insiders' on GAF (Thuway, Kagari, Bruce) are saying it's 6GB, but they usually all have the same source and they weren't 100% right with their E3 rumors, so I'm not jumping for joy yet.
    Its 5gb. It been all but confirmed by both vblank and Sony.
    4.5gb + 512mb that you could page in and out with virtual memory.

We can’t go into specifics about stuff like that, but I’ll say that if you go by Eurogamer’s article “update”, it would show that PS4 provides at least as much RAM to the developer as the XB1. While Eurogamer updated theirs, Game Informer still has their sensationalist headline
    Eurogamer updated their title to "PlayStation 4 gives up to 5GB of RAM to game developers"
    Last edited by mynd; 07-28-2013 at 02:28.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Francis needs to make a You Tube video about this.

Veteran
    Yeah, I hear you, but the OS isn't actually using 3GB, remember that. 1GB is being reserved for Devs and another indeterminate amount is reserved for "future proofing." So the OS is PROBABLY only actually using 1-1.5GB right now. The bottom line is that this doesn't affect you! The ONLY way it affects you is that you'll have a lot of cool features and xtra things you can do with your console. The games will be the same and in fact will be the same if not better than on the competition!

I just fail to see why this, unconfirmed at that, information is enough to make a difference to where someone doesn't want to buy the product anymore.
    That makes better sense, but still I'm buying a console which they said they would focus on gaming so imo they shouldn't be wasting future proof RAM memory just to add some home entertainment features, but I just read that other NeoGaf post about having 6gb for gaming only, and now that would be sweet and I hope it's true.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Francis needs to make a You Tube video about this.
    I'm sure it will be up shortly. I can't wait for the lols. That guy is hilarious!

Sent from Galaxy S4 on Tapatalk 4 beta.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    I'm sure it will be up shortly. I can't wait for the lols. That guy is hilarious! Sent from Galaxy S4 on Tapatalk 4 beta.
    Yeah I love his vids. lol

Seems like gaf insiders and rumours are saying developers are already working on games with 6gb...
    seems like digital fourdry/eurogeamer is a bunch of crap and basically caused $#@! from there own conclusions. Or they are just ms buttmonkeys.
    lol at sony losing a few pre order joke.. Well done dg/eurogamer, only bad for them, makes them much less legit

Elite Guru
    My only issue with this news is the unsettling concept that Sony has essentially almost blown half the high performance memory and allocated it to lower performance functions that don't need the and potentially slowed down by the GDDR technology.

Admittedly while Mircosoft's solution looks bad on paper - in practice it is fairly smart in terms of price and implementing a multitasking OS.

The more these two machines get closer to each other the more both have to highlight and produce differences, this can only be a great thing for the consumers in the end.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    My only issue with this news is the unsettling concept that Sony has essentially almost blown half the high performance memory and allocated it to lower performance functions that don't need the and potentially slowed down by the GDDR technology.

Admittedly while Mircosoft's solution looks bad on paper - in practice it is fairly smart in terms of price and implementing a multitasking OS.

The more these two machines get closer to each other the more both have to highlight and produce differences, this can only be a great thing for the consumers in the end.
    exactly what i said in the beginning of my posting here. i'd rather they had just split the RAM or something (probably not possible) and kept the DDR3 for OS. this seems like a waste.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    And you fall under Phase 4. You say weaker specs don't matter but constantly try and downplay the advantages of the stronger console.
    LMAO! +rep

Quote Originally Posted by Kauldron View Post
    But, but, but... that edit wasn't for you. You are all about teh gamez.
    +rep
    Last edited by Omar; 07-28-2013 at 04:11.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    very cool indeed

Elite Member

I wouldn't say all. PS4 still has faster RAM and a better GPU.
    Ps3 had significantly faster RAM than the Xbox 360 (Ps3 has 22.5Gbps for the GPU alone and 25Gbps for both Cell and RSX) while the 360 shares 22.5Gbps between the GPU and CPU), plus the ability to use Cell and the GPU together to achieve more than the GPU alone could do.

Didn't really make any difference, did it?

I have to agree with Sub-stance1. From a technical point of view this makes the PS4 and Xbox One closer than ever.

I'm still not buying an Xbox One though.

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrin8X View Post
    more like 50% there buddy

cpu is a wash but gpu is were PS4 totally creampies the xbone

And you are basing this uninformed comment on what exactly? Raw FPU count?

Did it ever occure to you that if the Xbox One ESRAM performs AA, z-depths, and occlusion culling, and other GPU functions like the EDRAM in the Xbox 360 does that your theoretical "50%" difference becomes virtually nill, right? The PS4 will be using the GPU to do those thing while the Xbox One GPU simply offloads the work to the ESRAM. It's also a HUGE bandwidth savings compared to the PS4 as well.

Not saying the Xbox One is better by any means, but from a technical point of view there is not much difference now. If you are believing that games on the PS4 are going to be dramatically better than Xbox One games you're going to be horribly disappointed. They'll be nearly identical.

The real advantage to the PS4 at this point is no Kinect, no manditory internet connection, $100 cheaper, and no collecting data for the NSA.
    Last edited by Completely Average; 07-28-2013 at 04:52.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    Ps3 had significantly faster RAM than the Xbox 360 (Ps3 has 22.5Gbps for the GPU alone and 25Gbps for both Cell and RSX) while the 360 shares 22.5Gbps between the GPU and CPU), plus the ability to use Cell and the GPU together to achieve more than the GPU alone could do.

Didn't really make any difference, did it?

I have to agree with Sub-stance1. From a technical point of view this makes the PS4 and Xbox One closer than ever.

I'm still not buying an Xbox One though.
    that's true but the 360 was simply just a lot more efficient to code for, which is why that faster RAM did not matter until you had created the game from scratch for the PS3 (putting effort in it). that's not the case this time around.

Thread Information